Quantcast

Once Upon a Time in Minneapolis (Season 2)

LadyCabDriver

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
8,381 677 229
Alleybux
SEASON 2 TRAILER:

Can we post all the episodes from this onto this thread, instead of them being scattered across different threads please?

Jawn Wick

Prince’s Superman Curl
Reaction score
Reactions
26,729 191 86
Alleybux
S2 Episode 2

(Hybrid MJ/Prince fans are gonna like this, lmao!)

Rox

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
37,701 570 145
Alleybux
S2 Episode 2

upload_2020-10-25_19-3-28.png

This was a treat and look at their eyes. These men were fierce and one of a kind.

I cringe everytime I see Prince at the James Brown concert. Michael had to be in the corner snickering. :LOL:

Prince made up for it though. :love

Jawn Wick

Prince’s Superman Curl
Reaction score
Reactions
26,729 191 86
Alleybux
View attachment 2015499

This was a treat and look at their eyes. These men were fierce and one of a kind.

I cringe everytime I see Prince at the James Brown concert. Michael had to be in the corner snickering. :LOL:

Had they not been mature enough to just throw shade, this would’ve been them at every award show:
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

This is them after that James Brown concert (Prince is the one running up, obviously):
giphy.gif

Rox

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
37,701 570 145
Alleybux
Had they not been mature enough to just throw shade, this would’ve been them at every award show:
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

This is them after that James Brown concert (Prince is the one running up, obviously):
giphy.gif

Actually seems they really respected one another. It was fun competition.
The 80s was a special time and they understood what the public didn't.

Jawn Wick

Prince’s Superman Curl
Reaction score
Reactions
26,729 191 86
Alleybux
No
Actually they really respected one another. It was fun competition.
The 80s was a special time and they understood wha

I was joking, like I obviously know they weren’t gonna brawl with each other. Prince’s reaction after Michael’s death was very telling. They hung out a few times. I just wish we got a picture of both!

Web Dubois

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,129 22 1
Alleybux
View attachment 2015499

PRN was the epitome of perseverance, this man overcame a lifetime of hurdles and bullying...he had to fight through so many challenges, physical, mental, and societal, his strength was in his resilience and taking his life experiences and making them into incomparable magic

Laurarichardson

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
32,407 1,791 2,496
Alleybux
View attachment 2015499

People said Prince laughed about it later. The next year nobody was laughing at him

Rox

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
37,701 570 145
Alleybux
This one talking about Morris and Prince and the tensions between them. They made magic on screen. One of my fave scenes from Purple Rain is from Morris teasing the Kid after the TIME performance they walk pass the dressing room and that one liner
"How's the family?" and the band starts laughing. Then we see Morris being thoughtful . It was so powerful. YES it was to me.

Rox

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
37,701 570 145
Alleybux
Another one in the series. Prince and sampling :LOL:. Interesting .

LadyCabDriver

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
8,381 677 229
Alleybux
S2 Episode 2

This episode was AMAZING. Did you see the slow pan out at 4:02 with MJ and then it slowly pans out and you see Prince behind him? While they're talking about their dads? That was great! Very well done.

Rox

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
37,701 570 145
Alleybux
This episode was AMAZING. Did you see the slow pan out at 4:02 with MJ and then it slowly pans out and you see Prince behind him? While they're talking about their dads? That was great! Very well done.
These vids are excellent. No actors but stories told by those who lived it. So far all have been enjoyable.

Rox

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
37,701 570 145
Alleybux
Here is the next installment. Be prepared because Apples is claiming she wrote Glamorous Life and Manic Monday:spinny

These are always fun to watch:

Tgal73

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
57,774 949 227
Alleybux
Here is the next installment. Be prepared because Apples is claiming she wrote Glamorous Life and Manic Monday:spinny

These are always fun to watch:

She's so ridiculous. I do wonder if fonts are going to be as "outraged" as they are over Morris Day?

Rox

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
37,701 570 145
Alleybux
She's so ridiculous. I do wonder if fonts are going to be as "outraged" as they are over Morris Day?

Apples really is outrageous. I just was floored to see it in that vid.
The Jill stuff was too much info. Prince was a lot back then. A whole lot!

anynameyouwish

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
13,820 666 389
Alleybux
I can't stand her. She is part of the reason I only read Jill's tweets about politics. Jill and her are chummy. Not surprising, Apollonia's fake ass is also friends with Brown Mark.

Rox

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
37,701 570 145
Alleybux
I can't stand her. She is part of the reason I only read Jill's tweets about politics. Jill and her are chummy. Not surprising, Apollonia's fake ass is also friends with Brown Mark.

Brown Mark? I guess they can share drinks as they embellish the truth and make up stuff together. Horrible Apples says she wrote Glamorous Life . . . who believes that?

anynameyouwish

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
13,820 666 389
Alleybux
Brown Mark? I guess they can share drinks as they embellish the truth and make up stuff together. Horrible Apples says she wrote Glamorous Life . . . who believes that?
Well, Sheila didn't write it either. I noticed something though. Apollonia said she gave him lines here and there. That I can believe. But typical of Prince associates, if he used the same pronoun you once used in a conversation, you now think you "co-wrote" a song. Susannah tells him a true story about an autistic girl she met--now all of a sudden, she is a co-writer.

What's with Jill saying that Prince told her he was going to have to be "engaged for a little while". Who says that and gets away with it? All these people on some level were sycophants. Let's be honest. I suspect he knew that. I wonder if he was testing them sometimes to see if they react honestly to statements like that. If he even said it. Susannah and her being mortal enemies until very recently--who knows.

anynameyouwish

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
13,820 666 389
Alleybux
Listening to these clips, its obvious that Prince's life was stressful and he was surrounded by people with needs, ambitions, and egos. Leadership is hard especially when you are trying to maintain your own careers' momentum. Prince like most stars needed stardom to make up for stuff lacking his life (a decent home life, some self esteem issues) and so of course he's got his own ego to boost but now he has got to worry about appeasing others while making sure they don't get too big for their britches while also making sure their doing their best work for him. Sometimes, he was a bit too transactional for his own good and it cost him relationships he probably missed, but at the same time, everyone wanted something from him. He was not surrounded by folks who wanted to just be the best studio musicians they could be or just be his friend. Its hard to know who is sincerely your friend. Empathy is tested in this situation because everyone else isn't always being honest. I think about how I would feel not knowing if someone has your back or what they will do if you give in a little and let them have a bit more power. I sometimes think Prince should have just worked on his own performances and bands and not worried about bringing up other Minneapolis musicians with him. I know others will disagree because they love the Time music (hell, I honestly love it myself) but Prince took on too much at a young age and it cost him--more than I think it cost anyone else who complains now. Success in one's career is not success in life. Jesse is wrong. Prince did not have it all. he had success but it came with burdens and it did not eradicate any issues or baggage he took with him. I will say the ride for Prince definitely had some great highs and wonderful times, but the music industry is a bumpy road and its a fiery trial. I was watching a Star is Born last night again (the new one). I thought about Prince and his associates a little while watching it.

Also interesting is the idea that Jesse said he was poor but somehow was able to pay for 18,000 dollar keyboard. I guess "poor" is a relative statement when you are comparing your finances to Prince. But I can't just hand over 18 grand to anyone and I don't know anyone else who can unless they sell their house and get some money back. And 18 grand in 85 is like 36 grand today.

Last edited:

PaxundLux

ici : ala
Reaction score
Reactions
6,988 41 12
Alleybux
Well,we all know Prince wrote TGL.
-We also know that Sheila wrote her percussion parts.
-It was said that Denise wore "a long fur coat of mink" in the California heat.
- It is also said that Apples drove "a big brown Mercedes sedan".

Just another day in Prince - land.
:geek

anynameyouwish

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
13,820 666 389
Alleybux
Well,we all know Prince wrote TGL.
-We also know that Sheila wrote her percussion parts.
-It was said that Denise wore "a long fur coat of mink" in the California heat.
- It is also said that Apples drove "a big brown Mercedes sedan".

Just another day in Prince - land.
:geek
Yep. Prince Land sometimes feels like its everyone else's land. Do you ever feel like he is some kind of force or mystery entity or totem pole they dance around. Its weird but it feels like fame and the industry fragmented an already fragmented young man. Fame is a b!tch. No wonder he wanted to escape to Paisley...but Paisley and its isolation and controlled setting had its downsides as well.

Tgal73

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
57,774 949 227
Alleybux
Apples really is outrageous. I just was floored to see it in that vid.
The Jill stuff was too much info. Prince was a lot back then. A whole lot!

Haven't listened to it yet. Worth a listen to, or is it the same we've already heard?

anynameyouwish

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
13,820 666 389
Alleybux
Haven't listened to it yet. Worth a listen to, or is it the same we've already heard?
To me, it just seemed to indicate that that life was kind of crazy. I would find his life overwhelming personally. I am not sure I could take 40 years of those kinds of ups and downs.

Tgal73

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
57,774 949 227
Alleybux
Well, Sheila didn't write it either. I noticed something though. Apollonia said she gave him lines here and there. That I can believe. But typical of Prince associates, if he used the same pronoun you once used in a conversation, you now think you "co-wrote" a song. Susannah tells him a true story about an autistic girl she met--now all of a sudden, she is a co-writer.

What's with Jill saying that Prince told her he was going to have to be "engaged for a little while". Who says that and gets away with it? All these people on some level were sycophants. Let's be honest. I suspect he knew that. I wonder if he was testing them sometimes to see if they react honestly to statements like that. If he even said it. Susannah and her being mortal enemies until very recently--who knows.

Jill is full of sh!t, but she tells the story, of him saying he had to be engaged, in every interview she does. I think she's telling the truth about that. I can see P telling her one thing, then turning around and telling Sue something different. Men have been doing that since the beginning.

anynameyouwish

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
13,820 666 389
Alleybux
Jill is full of sh!t, but she tells the story, of him saying he had to be engaged, in every interview she does. I think she's telling the truth about that. I can see P telling her one thing, then turning around and telling Sue something different. Men have been doing that since the beginning.
No, she didn't say something like he felt he had to get engaged and then changed his mind and was waiting to break it off. She said he said it was temporary...that he told her "he had to get engaged for a little while." I would seriously consider leaving if I heard that..because obviously that man was never going to settle down with anyone and may have even been a bit crazy. I really hope Prince didn't propose to Susannah knowing in advance he was going to break it off or not follow through. Beyond it being cruel, he had to have known that Susannah would bail and take whatever future involvement in the Family with her. Weird thing to do and not at all pragmatic or sensible. I am hoping he only lied to Jill to calm her down but at one point was sincere when he proposed to Susannah before their relationship cooled. Hell, the woman was living in his house and decorating it. That's nuts if it was a roose.The clip did say that at the moment he proposed, he had attempted monogamy so maybe he was sincere when he said it. this has nothing to do with Susannah when I say this. I am talking about Prince here. Its a cuckoo thing to propose to someone knowing its just to keep them happy for a little while for whatever reason. When you break it off or don't follow through, that is going to be some serious drama. That's the kind of drama most folks avoid. Why even propose at all?

Last edited:

Tgal73

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
57,774 949 227
Alleybux
No, she didn't say something like he felt he had to get engaged and then changed his mind and was waiting to break it off. She said he said it was temporary...that he told her "he had to get engaged for a little while." I would seriously consider leaving if I heard that..because obviously that man was never going to settle down with anyone and may have even been a bit crazy. I really hope Prince didn't propose to Susannah knowing in advance he was going to break it off or not follow through. Beyond it being cruel, he had to have known that Susannah would bail and take whatever future involvement in the Family with her. Weird thing to do and not at all pragmatic or sensible. I am hoping he only lied to Jill to calm her down but at one point was sincere when he proposed to Susannah before their relationship cooled. Hell, the woman was living in his house and decorating it. That's nuts if it was a roose.The clip did say that at the moment he proposed, he had attempted monogamy so maybe he was sincere when he said it. this has nothing to do with Susannah when I say this. I am talking about Prince here. Its a cuckoo thing to propose to someone knowing its just to keep them happy for a little while for whatever reason. When you break it off or don't follow through, that is going to be some serious drama. That's the kind of drama most folks avoid. Why even propose at all?

Susannah said he never brought up marriage again after he proposed. If he wanted to marry her, he would have. He married two other women. She's still alive and able to run her mouth about Prince to anyone who'll listen. So, my sympathy for her is slim to none. Men say all kinds of sh!t to get women to stick around. Why would that make Prince crazy? I'm sure he loved her. But obviously not enough to marry. If she was smart, she would have gotten pregnant.

Paul Peterson walking away from the Family was a bigger loss to Prince, business wise. He could have created a solo career for Susannah. She, like Jill, likes to claim that he didn't want to, just to keep her under his thumb. She wasn't the focal point of that group. She lacks oomph. For lack of better word.

anynameyouwish

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
13,820 666 389
Alleybux
Susannah said he never brought up marriage again after he proposed. If he wanted to marry her, he would have. He married two other women. She's still alive and able to run her mouth about Prince to anyone who'll listen. So, my sympathy for her is slim to none. Men say all kinds of sh!t to get women to stick around. Why would that make Prince crazy? I'm sure he loved her. But obviously not enough to marry. If she was smart, she would have gotten pregnant.

Paul Peterson walking away from the Family was a bigger loss to Prince, business wise. He could have created a solo career for Susannah. She, like Jill, likes to claim that he didn't want to, just to keep her under his thumb. She wasn't the focal point of that group. She lacks oomph. For lack of better word.

These folks' egos always factor into their interpretations of Prince's actions. Prince not producing solo albums for Susannah or stalling on Jill's album-- Was it about keeping them around...or was it because he doubted the potential in their work making any money and didn't have the heart to just say (he kind of did say it to Jill but she just got pissed ) ? The same thing with Tamar ( Jill tried to convince her that her album stayed shelved because P wanted her around). But could it have been because she screwed up the release through the record company (that really only wanted his album but agreed to distribute hers as well as a package deal) and Prince didn't want to pay to release and distribute it himself when the record company barely put any effort into it. All of these folks do this crap...Mark believes that P kept him out of the spotlight on stage...not because Mark was itching to leave and form his own band and told him so (I believe P was phasing him out so audiences wouldn't notice the absence when he finally left) ... Mark instead thinks Prince was threatened by his sexiness and that's why. Mark was left out of purple rain probably because his side story and possibly his acting wasn't worth keeping in when the film ran a half hour too long and WB inititally hated 2.5 hour version they saw. But of course, Mark just thinks Prince was controlling him or jealous or whatever and it couldn't possibly be that he had the screen presence of a lumpy pillow.

Back to the proposal...He and Susannah set up a home together (he didn't just set her up in an apartment) and she broke up with him because she didn't like hanging out in Chanhassen away from her sister and hearing about his flings. So, had she remained, would he have married her? I don't know if Jill isn't just saving face or Prince was just appeasing her when she got upset about Susannah because he wanted to keep Jill around. He never proposed to Jill to keep her around and JIll in this doc stated that he tried to force her to stick around. Why didn't he attempt the proposal trick with her? As for the other marriages, Prince may have knocked up Mayte. But even if not, he was older and may have wanted to settle down more, and as for Manuela, she was probably a rebound Jehovah witness style. I don' think he really proposed to Sheila. I think he just got swept up in a moment.

Tgal73

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
57,774 949 227
Alleybux
These folks' egos always factor into their interpretations of Prince's actions. Prince not producing solo albums for Susannah or stalling on Jill's album-- Was it about keeping them around...or was it because he doubted the potential in their work making any money and didn't have the heart to just say (he kind of did say it to Jill but she just got pissed ) ? The same thing with Tamar ( Jill tried to convince her that her album stayed shelved because P wanted her around). But could it have been because she screwed up the release through the record company (that really only wanted his album but agreed to distribute hers as well as a package deal) and Prince didn't want to pay to release and distribute it himself when the record company barely put any effort into it. All of these folks do this crap...Mark believes that P kept him out of the spotlight on stage...not because Mark was itching to leave and form his own band and told him so (I believe P was phasing him out so audiences wouldn't notice the absence when he finally left) ... Mark instead thinks Prince was threatened by his sexiness and that's why. Mark was left out of purple rain probably because his side story and possibly his acting wasn't worth keeping in when the film ran a half hour too long and WB inititally hated 2.5 hour version they saw. But of course, Mark just thinks Prince was controlling him or jealous or whatever and it couldn't possibly be that he had the screen presence of a lumpy pillow.

Back to the proposal...He and Susannah set up a home together (he didn't just set her up in an apartment) and she broke up with him because she didn't like hanging out in Chanhassen away from her sister and hearing about his flings. So, had she remained, would he have married her? I don't know if Jill isn't just saving face or Prince was just appeasing her when she got upset about Susannah because he wanted to keep Jill around. He never proposed to Jill to keep her around and JIll in this doc stated that he tried to force her to stick around. Why didn't he attempt the proposal trick with her? As for the other marriages, Prince may have knocked up Mayte. But even if not, he was older and may have wanted to settle down more, and as for Manuela, she was probably a rebound Jehovah witness style. I don' think he really proposed to Sheila. I think he just got swept up in a moment.

I don't care about the reasons that he didn't marry Susannah. Fact is, he didn't. Regardless, if he proposed to her and no one else. He was in his late 20s. Old enough to know whether or not he wanted to marry someone. I also don't care about the reasons he may have married M1 and 2. He did. And I think he was genuinely in love with Mani. Doesn't matter if I like her or not. I don't think Jehovah played too big of a part in his decision to marry her.

As for Shelia, if you believe Robin, which I do, he had great love for Shelia. I always thought she was embellishing with that engagement story. I can see it being true now. Sounds to me like you've drank the Susannah kool aid and only believe the stories surrounding her.