Quantcast

Online Writing Gigs

Reaction score
Reactions
146,862 4,503 3,835
Alleybux
Any of you (or anyone you know) make a pretty penny off online writing? If so, how much? How long have you been doing it? What are some tips or tricks to get into the field? Any companies or organizations you recommend?

Do you do it full-time or part-time?

Thanks!

Last edited:

ProZolaPye

Staying Positive Anyway
Reaction score
Reactions
20,002 2,993 1,381
Alleybux
I've known some people who used iwriter.com, textbroker.com as starters. Sometimes the pay is low but you can work your way up and ask for more. Plus you get connections. There's also freelancewriting.com. Also this site I found writingladybug.com has a nice blog (click the blog button on the menu) about freelance writing and other things pertaining to it. Good Luck

angel8762

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
37 1
Alleybux
I've known some people who used iwriter.com, textbroker.com as starters. Sometimes the pay is low but you can work your way up and ask for more. Plus you get connections. There's also freelancewriting.com. Also this site I found writingladybug.com has a nice blog (click the blog button on the menu) about freelance writing and other things pertaining to it. Good Luck
Will look into as well. Thanks for the great info!

chanelframes

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
63,501 2,174 1,362
Alleybux
I know some people do copywriting, email marketing, and blog writing - i think you could try to get into those and some Fb groups online.

HereForTheGist

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,009 26 13
Alleybux
Any of you (or anyone you know) make a pretty penny off online writing? If so, how much? How long have you been doing it? What are some tips or tricks to get into the field? Any companies or organizations you recommend?

Do you do it full-time or part-time?

Thanks!

The amount you make off online writing is relative. I have been doing this for almost 6 years full time. I started with writing for blogs and companies but the pay was not enough so i switched to academic writing (writing assignments, dissertations and thesis for students).

If you want to write articles for companies and blogs, You can open a profile on various freelance websites. You can make a small-moderate amount of money as a beginner. When you get more reviews and a higher ranking, you can charge more and earn more . You will deal with less anxiety if you do this. If you have short-attention span, like variety or would like to work for multiple clients at a time, i recommend this.

Academic writing is way more stressful and can put you in a constant state of anxiety. You can make at least $100 from an assignment and this figure increases according to the length and difficulty of the assignment. You can make 1000-3000 or more for a master's thesis (If you can guarantee your client an A, you can charge more). Again, this figure varies and will depend on the length of the thesis.

In this case, i recommend getting a client or two (students) and asking them to recommend you to someone else. The risk with academic writing is failing an assignment or dissertation; this can have terrible impact on your mental health and this can worsen if your client has failed the work before and has to repeat a year because of you.
You also have to know your limitations, you cannot write everything. If you encounter an task you cannot do, it is better to say so than endure the heart ache that follows while trying to write it.
Also, i write for multiple students a time.

Overall, you can make a nice amount from online writing

Reaction score
Reactions
146,862 4,503 3,835
Alleybux
The amount you make off online writing is relative. I have been doing this for almost 6 years full time. I started with writing for blogs and companies but the pay was not enough so i switched to academic writing (writing assignments, dissertations and thesis for students).

If you want to write articles for companies and blogs, You can open a profile on various freelance websites. You can make a small-moderate amount of money as a beginner. When you get more reviews and a higher ranking, you can charge more and earn more . You will deal with less anxiety if you do this. If you have short-attention span, like variety or would like to work for multiple clients at a time, i recommend this.

Academic writing is way more stressful and can put you in a constant state of anxiety. You can make at least $100 from an assignment and this figure increases according to the length and difficulty of the assignment. You can make 1000-3000 or more for a master's thesis (If you can guarantee your client an A, you can charge more). Again, this figure varies and will depend on the length of the thesis.

In this case, i recommend getting a client or two (students) and asking them to recommend you to someone else. The risk with academic writing is failing an assignment or dissertation; this can have terrible impact on your mental health and this can worsen if your client has failed the work before and has to repeat a year because of you.
You also have to know your limitations, you cannot write everything. If you encounter an task you cannot do, it is better to say so than endure the heart ache that follows while trying to write it.
Also, i write for multiple students a time.

Overall, you can make a nice amount from online writing

Call me naive, but the idea that students are out here hiring people to write their papers for them is totally mind blowing to me. Lol!

Thanks for the info though!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Reactions
146,862 4,503 3,835
Alleybux

Thank you! Much appreciated!!!

Wonder Girl

Make That pH Game Weak Again!
Reaction score
Reactions
44,487 3,056 1,182
Alleybux
Here's a thread that was on here about a woman making a nice amount as a freelance writer on Fiverr.

tout et rien

All and Nothing
Reaction score
Reactions
71,781 1,511 698
Alleybux

Not looking to derail, but WTH? If someone in a masters program HIRES someone off the internet to ghost write their dissertation, they need to fail. They won't have to repeat a year because of the quality of what the writer produced. They need to repeat a year or be kicked out because of what they didn't write.

Anyway, the heyday of online content creation seems to be over. I knew a woman who paid for a kitchen remodel and a family vacation to Disneyland with what she made writing for ehow a few years back. Yes I was jealous. Google changed the way they directed searches to sites so businesses like that fell off. Companies of all sorts still need content for their websites, it is just harder to churn out according to a formula and it takes effort to find clients.