Quantcast

Opinion--Prince's The Truth album is my favorite of his 90's work.

anynameyouwish

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
13,820 666 389
Alleybux
According to Dr Funkenberry, The Truth will be reissued as a stand alone vinyl and DVD this year. Of course, Crystal Ball will be as well. But I am more excited that the Truth is getting a separate release. I love that album and think its the best of his 90's work. (with Gold Experience and Come at second and third). Don't get me wrong I like a lot of diamonds and Pearls and half of the symbol album and the Emancipation has some gems as well. But I like every song in the Truth and think its truly underrated and indicative of what Prince could do with far less production. One Nite Alone is great too for the same reason. I really hope critics give it the attention, acclaim and respect it deserves. I think it got lost and hidden in plain sight for too long. For Dionne and Come Back alone, it deserves much kudos.

Gwendolina

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
44,377 915 197
Alleybux
It's an excellent album and one of his best, I agree with you. So many gems on it! But Prince scattered his gems throughout so many different albums that I can't really choose a favourite. I'd need to make my own compilation album picking songs from all of them.

Sweetheartbaby

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
8,638 1,016 921
Alleybux
According to Dr Funkenberry, The Truth will be reissued as a stand alone vinyl and DVD this year. Of course, Crystal Ball will be as well. But I am more excited that the Truth is getting a separate release. I love that album and think its the best of his 90's work. (with Gold Experience and Come at second and third). Don't get me wrong I like a lot of diamonds and Pearls and half of the symbol album and the Emancipation has some gems as well. But I like every song in the Truth and think its truly underrated and indicative of what Prince could do with far less production. One Nite Alone is great too for the same reason. I really hope critics give it the attention, acclaim and respect it deserves. I think it got lost and hidden in plain sight for too long. For Dionne and Come Back alone, it deserves much kudos.

ANYW, I love it when you come here and tell us all your thoughts. Keep 'em comin'. :)

NaughtyProfessor

bada bing
Reaction score
Reactions
22,979 232 38
Alleybux
Awaiting confirmation but I’ll be happy to have this on vinyl.

If it does go through for a Record Store Day release as Dr. F suggested, at least with social distancing in place those of us who decide to brave it can avoid having to bust out our “hockey elbows” to get to the goodies lol

NaughtyProfessor

bada bing
Reaction score
Reactions
22,979 232 38
Alleybux
Is this going to be released on CD too?
I can’t imagine why not, considering for example... the Versace Experience was a limited Record Store Day release (on cassette) and was followed by a wide release on vinyl and cd.

Then there was also 1985’s His Majesty’s Pop Life - rereleased on vinyl (RSD 2019) and was followed by the cd (albeit only available by import from Japan where the album was originally released) in 2020.

So anyway, all that to say fingers crossed! lol

PPcontrol20

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
517 17 2
Alleybux
Me too...already verified with my local record store they will have a few of the 13,000 that will be pressed.

Gwendolina

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
44,377 915 197
Alleybux
Me too...already verified with my local record store they will have a few of the 13,000 that will be pressed.
Only 13,000 are being pressed?! Will they only be available in US record stores? That would be a big bummer for me (living in Europe)!

PPcontrol20

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
517 17 2
Alleybux
Only 13,000 are being pressed?! Will they only be available in US record stores? That would be a big bummer for me (living in Europe)!

To my understanding, they are only doing 13,000 pressings of the vinyl...here’s an article about it ...hopeful I’m wrong :/

PRINCE’S ‘THE TRUTH’ ALBUM SET FOR FIRST-EVER VINYL RELEASE​

ALLISON RAPP
Published: April 7, 2021
Play The Truth
on Apple Music

Known by many Prince fans as the more subtle, mostly acoustic supplement to 1998's Crystal Ball, The Truth will finally receive its own independent release and vinyl pressing on June 12 for Record Store Day2021.
Originally recorded during a set of sessions in late 1996 at Paisley Park, The Truth was slated for a solo release in 1997 via EMI Records, but the project was canceled when the label was folded into Virgin Records and Capitol. When it was included alongside Crystal Ball in 1998, it was well received by fans and critics alike.

Typically, the number of Record Store Day limited edition pressings for any one artists will range from a few hundred to many thousands. At 13,000 copies, The Truth release will be plentiful, but given its unique inaugural nature, the album will likely be a hot commodity amongst Prince fans. The physical release will feature a purple vinyl with a foil-embossed cover.
This year, mindful of the pandemic, Record Store Day will be spread out across two dates, June 12 and July 17 in an effort to reduce crowds and allow record stores to plan accordingly.
"The spread of titles over two dates in two months allows some flexibility for the struggling vinyl pressing plants and distribution companies as well as provide stores time to prepare budgets and place the orders that safely get music into the hands of customers on a larger than normal release day," reads a statement on the Record Store Day website.
The complete list of titles due to be released over both days can be found here.
NEXT: PRINCE PREDICTS FAKE NEWS WHILE PREACHING ‘THE TRUTH’
Filed Under: Prince, The Truth
Categories: New Albums, News
Comments
LEAVE A COMMENT

SPECIAL FEATURES​

Read More: Prince's 'The Truth' Album Set for First-Ever Vinyl Release | Prince's 'The Truth' Album Set for First-Ever Vinyl Release
Only 13,000 are being pressed?! Will they only be available in US record stores? That would be a big bummer for me (living in Europe)!g...here’s the article

ALLISON RAPP
Play The Truth
on Apple Music

Known by many Prince fans as the more subtle, mostly acoustic supplement to 1998's Crystal Ball, The Truth will finally receive its own independent release and vinyl pressing on June 12 for Record Store Day2021.
Originally recorded during a set of sessions in late 1996 at Paisley Park, The Truth was slated for a solo release in 1997 via EMI Records, but the project was canceled when the label was folded into Virgin Records and Capitol. When it was included alongside Crystal Ball in 1998, it was well received by fans and critics alike.

This year, mindful of the pandemic, Record Store Day will be spread out across two dates, June 12 and July 17 in an effort to reduce crowds and allow record stores to plan accordingly.
"The spread of titles over two dates in two months allows some flexibility for the struggling vinyl pressing plants and distribution companies as well as provide stores time to prepare budgets and place the orders that safely get music into the hands of customers on a larger than normal release day," reads a statement on the Record Store Day website.
The complete list of titles due to be released over both days can be found here.
Comments
LEAVE A COMMENT

SPECIAL FEATURES​

Read More: Prince's 'The Truth' Album Set for First-Ever Vinyl Release | Prince's 'The Truth' Album Set for First-Ever Vinyl Release

Gwendolina

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
44,377 915 197
Alleybux

To my understanding, they are only doing 13,000 pressings of the vinyl...here’s an article about it ...hopeful I’m wrong :/

ALLISON RAPP
Play The Truth
on Apple Music

Typically, the number of Record Store Day limited edition pressings for any one artists will range from a few hundred to many thousands. At 13,000 copies, The Truth release will be plentiful, but given its unique inaugural nature, the album will likely be a hot commodity amongst Prince fans. The physical release will feature a purple vinyl with a foil-embossed cover.
Comments
LEAVE A COMMENT

SPECIAL FEATURES​

ALLISON RAPP
Play The Truth
on Apple Music

Comments
LEAVE A COMMENT

SPECIAL FEATURES​

Thanks. Looks like it's just a vinyl release in the US then.:cry:

PurpleDoor

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
3,881 89 50
Alleybux
13,000 is a large RSD issue.
It's good news, though -- it means they believe there will be interest beyond RSD.

PPcontrol20

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
517 17 2
Alleybux
13,000 is a large RSD issue.
It's good news, though -- it means they believe there will be interest beyond RSD.
Yeah, that’s good healthy amount...but a lot, I mean a lot of people like this record, so I don’t know how it will fare... I can’t remember how many they did for SOTT...they limited edition....if anyone remembers, please post, and that one sold out quickly...I definitely don’t want to lose out on a copy

Gwendolina

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
44,377 915 197
Alleybux
I could send you one. I’m pretty good friends and a regular at my local record store. They always have every Prince limited edition vinyl in stock.
Aw Tokyo, so happy to see you back here again! I hope you and your loved ones are all safe and well! Thank you so much for your kind offer but I don't have anything to play vinyl on anyway. I just hope it'll be released on CD one day. Much love to you! :heart:

JustSapphire

Constellation Virgo
Reaction score
Reactions
33,371 1,365 721
Alleybux
I guess I'll have to call around . We have a lot of little record stores here I'm sure they all won't carry it that day.

PPcontrol20

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
517 17 2
Alleybux
I guess I'll have to call around . We have a lot of little record stores here I'm sure they all won't carry it that day.

Go to this website ...and put in your location...if they are on the site, they will most likely be carrying it...that way you won’t have to call each one in your city, wherever you are

JustSapphire

Constellation Virgo
Reaction score
Reactions
33,371 1,365 721
Alleybux

Go to this website ...and put in your location...if they are on the site, they will most likely be carrying it...that way you won’t have to call each one in your city, wherever you are
Thank you!! That helped a lot. There will be quite a few stores here in reasonable driving distance carrying it. I'm stoked.

NaughtyProfessor

bada bing
Reaction score
Reactions
22,979 232 38
Alleybux
Uh...my local record store people never divulge what they’re going to have in stock come RSD. They say they won’t know until the night before and if past years are anything to go by, they sure as hell aren’t telling even then.

Have I been duped all these years?
Those bastards! I’d better get craftier lol

PPcontrol20

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
517 17 2
Alleybux
Uh...my local record store people never divulge what they’re going to have in stock come RSD. They say they won’t know until the night before and if past years are anything to go by, they sure as hell aren’t telling even then.

Have I been duped all these years?
Those bastards! I’d better get craftier lol
Lol I’m not sure :/ my guys advised to check with them the week of, but they said they are pretty 100 percent sure they will have it

NaughtyProfessor

bada bing
Reaction score
Reactions
22,979 232 38
Alleybux
Where can I find this on CD?
This 2021 rerelease is not available on cd.

Maybe they’ll put it out later. I wouldn’t be surprised it they do. If not they’d be fools. If the vinyl sales are any indicator there will likely be great demand.

Gwendolina

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
44,377 915 197
Alleybux
This 2021 rerelease is not available on cd.

Maybe they’ll put it out later. I wouldn’t be surprised it they do. If not they’d be fools. If the vinyl sales are any indicator there will likely be great demand.
I hope so. It's available to download on amazon but then I'd have to burn it onto a CD and make my own cover. I'll probably end up doing that if it doesn't become available soon though because I adore that album.

Shaylee

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
27,930 1,304 697
Alleybux
The Truth has one of two songs of his I haven't been able to listen to since he passed- Come Back is a beautiful song but knowing it's for his son just slays me.