Fearless Leader
ADMINISTRATOR
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
130,429 42,810 3,165
Alleybux
636378108711037817-OTG-Family-Shot.jpg

Oprah Winfrey, whose endorsement and investment has breathed new life into Weight Watchers, is branching out into food branded under her own name.

Winfrey is behind a new line of refrigerated soups and side dishes in conjunction with Kraft Heinz that will come with a clever name: "O, That's Good." The products start coming to store shelves this week.

Marketed as healthy riffs on comfort food, the inaugural offerings include mashed potatoes with cauliflower mixed in, creamy parmesan pasta with white bean puree replacing some of the cheese and broccoli cheddar soup infused with butternut squash.

Winfrey was involved in the recipe development, including a trip to the Kraft Heinz test kitchen in Chicago . The ad campaign featuring Winfrey launches Oct. 2.

"It all started with the idea for the cauliflower mashed potatoes -- the twist is really what sparked this whole idea," Winfrey said. "I was sitting at my table in my own home and had whipped up some cauliflower, trying to make myself think I was eating mashed potatoes, but it was not working. So I thought, 'What if I used a portion of the mashed potatoes and added the cauliflower? Then, I would have a substantive mashed potato-cauli dish.'"

Refrigerated foods add another dimension to Winfrey's empire that spans everything from entertainment and O, The Oprah Magazine, to her involvement as an investor and pitchwoman for Weight Watchers. Winfrey became a major stakeholder in Weight Watchers in October 2015 and has served as a company booster. On Thursday, the company reported second-quarter profits of $45.2 million and 67 cents in earnings per share -- almost 50% higher than what it'd been a year ago.

Winfrey's name and image could help bolster Kraft Heinz at a time when supermarkets "are decreasing for the space for center store and increasing space for refrigerated. That’s where the growth is," explained analyst Phil Lempert of supermarketguru.com, an industry website.

All eight items in the line will have no artificial flavors or coloring and 10% of the profit will go to charities working to reduce hunger.

"O, That's Good brings together the three things the consumer really wants – great tasting food, convenience and nutrition they can feel good about," said Nina Barton, senior vice president of marketing, innovation and research & development for the U.S. business at Kraft Heinz.

Suggested prices will be $4.99 for the soups and $4.49 for the sides.

"I’ve been asked over the years to attach my name to many product lines and would turn them down, because it really has to feel authentic to me," Winfrey said. "In this case, everyone knows I love healthy foods and cooking with food straight from my garden. I am always looking to make my meals more nutritious, without compromising on the comfort elements I love. Kraft Heinz approached me with a food line and they mentioned the idea of making nutritious food accessible to everyone...and I was hooked."

Oprah Winfrey joins Kraft Heinz in new supermarket food venture

MistressNae

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
366,748 7,937 4,305
Alleybux
Any info on the nutritional facts or ingredients for these items? If they aren't too salty or have too much dairy it would be good for when I start working. I could have them for lunch later in the week when my meal prepped lunches start pissing me off. A young G can't have dairy or I'll be blowing up the bathroom and that's a no no, I could get away with some skim milk though.

Need a Drank

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
22,336 632 80
Alleybux
People have been mashing cauliflower to replace mashed potatoes for a minute now. That's one of the first recipes they give diabetics to replace carbs. Not new.

TennisKing

King Of All Tennis
Reaction score
Reactions
265,250 7,057 6,462
Alleybux
Good for Oprah, if I can find a few good coupons l'll try the cauliflower mash and the pasta dish. I don't fµck with Kraft like that or any frozen packaged foods but I'll give O So Good a shot.lol

FactChecker

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
84,731 2,722 4,793
Alleybux
Any info on the nutritional facts or ingredients for these items? If they aren't too salty or have too much dairy it would be good for when I start working. I could have them for lunch later in the week when my meal prepped lunches start pissing me off. A young G can't have dairy or I'll be blowing up the bathroom and that's a no no, I could get away with some skim milk though.

Go to the website and then click on the product. There's a nutrition facts label for all the products.

Here's the website: Home

MistressNae

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
366,748 7,937 4,305
Alleybux
Go to the website and then click on the product. There's a nutrition facts label for all the products.

Here's the website: Home

....It's a no from me dawg. That mess finna kill someone, and this is for overweight people that probably already have high blood pressure and other ish. Nahhhhhhhh Oprah, I wanted to support you but nahhhhhh.

RichLuxxe

General Manager
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
35,638 2,127 1,661
Alleybux
I just want y'all to know i think its funny that ever since iwrote that theory that condi is oprah earlier this week, we started to get an influx of oprah gossip AND look condi herself posted something about oprah in the last 2 days hmmm. we went from nothing bout oprah to 2-3 threads by end of the week...hmm...i see whats going on.

BreannaBarnes

F*CK THE RULES!
Reaction score
Reactions
88,919 6,593 610
Alleybux
I'm late, but whatever.

Winfrey and Kraft Heinz Company on Wednesday unveiled a line of refrigerated comfort food called O, That's Good!

The dishes -- four soups and four sides -- are the first products to come out of the partnership, which was revealed earlier this year. The partners say they will land in grocery stores nationwide by the end of September.

The soups will retail for $4.99, the sides $4.49.

"I love healthy foods and eating from my garden," Winfrey said in a statement. She said she wanted to make "nutritious comfort foods more accessible to everyone."

Winfrey has already won big in the fitness world. She took a $43 million stake in Weight Watchers two years ago, then appeared in ads marveling about eating bread everyday while losing weight on the program. Membership soared, and Winfrey's stake grew to $294 million.
Kraft Heinz and Winfrey say the supermarket products come with "unexpected nutritious twists." A package of mashed potatoes includes mashed cauliflower in place of some of the potato. A broccoli cheddar soup recipe replaces some cheese with butternut squash.

Ten percent of the profits from the Winfrey and Kraft Heinz venture, Mealtime Stories, will be split between the charities Rise Against Hunger and Feeding America.

Kraft Heinz also says it plans to make annual donations to both nonprofits until the partnership with Winfrey becomes profitable.

Prepared Foods | Comfort Food | O, That’s Good!

oprah-line-of-ready-to-eat-meals-embed-blog0817.jpg

SerafinaCyan

On timeout 4 correcting Xenophobic Misogynists
Reaction score
Reactions
131,037 4,867 2,150
Alleybux
I've seen the commercials. Good for Oprah for branching out, but I feel like she should have done this a few years ago when Patti released her pies. Now, everyone is on a health kick and frozen foods are sort of a no-no.