Orange Wines?

Queenshawtii

Back in this Bih
Reaction score
Reactions
26,881 627 127
Alleybux
orange-wine.webp

I recently heard about this wine and was wondering if anyone has tried it. (I looked today and none of our local stores carry it at the moment.)

Some info

Newsweek:
"No, it's not made from oranges—it's the process used to make it that gives this vintage its golden hue. Orange wine, also known as skin-contact wine and skin-macerated wine, is made from white-wine grapes where the skins have been kept on for weeks or even months, as opposed to being quickly removed. This contact gives adds flavor, pigment and tannins and gives orange wine its distinct color. (Red wine is also a made through a skin-contact process, using red grapes.) Far from being a new fad, skin-contact wine is the oldest recorded winemaking process in the world, dating back some 8,000 years."

Bon Appetit:
"Skin-contact wines are white wines made like red wines. They ferment with the grape skins, which give wine its color. Depending on how long the juice ferments with the skins—anywhere from a few hours to many months—skin-contact wines can range in color from golden-straw yellow to vibrant amber to Tony the Tiger orange. The time with the skins also gives these wines more red wine characteristics, like bigger body and more tannin, while maintaining the acidity of a white wine. The longer the skins hang with the juice, the bigger and bolder the wine. You can end up with lighter skin-contact wines whose taste is reminiscent of the Jura’s oxidative white wines, with notes of bruised apple all the way to dirty bong water–colored bottles that taste almost like a sour beer."

Articles:
Orange wine is the next big thing. But what is it?
The bon appetit article is kind of condescending..
“Orange Wine” Needs to Go Away—Hear Me Out

MsSetGood

…she was a deep cognac color…
Reaction score
Reactions
91,986 2,588 93
Alleybux
Nope but I’d love to try. I can’t see the picture but it sounds interesting either way

Remy99

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
13,240 50 2
Alleybux
Learn something new everyday. I'm going wine tasting next month, hope I can encounter some on my tours.

dirtyhabit

New year, same LSA.
Reaction score
Reactions
108,254 2,045 800
Alleybux
I went through a phase where I was obsessed with finding orange wines. I would say they’re basically a rich white wine. They have more flavor and body than your typical Pinot Grigio or Sav Blanc. They’re a great option for those who don’t enjoy rose but are looking for something with a little oomph.