Quantcast

Parents, What do you teach your sons about

stubborn

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
145,854 11,419 18,059
Alleybux
the way they should be treated by girls/women?

I always hear things like "teach my daughter how a man is supposed to treat her"

& if you have daughters, what do you teach them about the way they should treat boys/men?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was going to make different threads for these questions, but I'll just put them here.

Another question that I have for parents is are you teaching your child to be competitive? I believe being competitive is natural/innate, but I've heard people say "girls were taught to compete with eachother". I'm guessing that they were talking about with looks & and other stuff like that. I wasn't taught to compete with anyone in that way when I was growing up. I was competitive in school (with grades) and sports, but that's about it :dunno:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What do you teach your kids about treating people of the same gender?

Those of you who have older kids, how do you feel when people say that they blame the parents? There are other people/things (media,peers/friends) who have influences on your kids besides you, and you can't really force someone to be how you want them to be. So what do you think about you getting all of the blame (not when your child is younger, but when they get older, like teen years and young adults).

ddw

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
65 1
Alleybux
I have 2 kiddos. My daughter is 9, my son is 5. I teach BOTH of them to respect themselves and others. My husband and I talk to them, but we also SHOW them behavior that we want them to learn and exhibit.
My son opens doors for my daughter, me, my mom, and other women. They BOTH use the magic words: Please, Thank you, and Excuse me.
My son loves, " pretty brown" as he calls it ��. My hubby's family has fair skin and blue, green, and hazel eyes. All of his brother's wives are brown. My daughter and I have brown skin and natural hair. My son, at 5, seems to have an inclination for brown skin and natural hair.
Outwardly, I say that I don't care who my children fall in love with, or marry, but, I'll admit, it DOES make me proud that he realizes and acknowledges the beauty of his own.
I'm tough on my daughter, but I'm tougher on him, because I refuse to " raise my daughter, and LOVE my son". I've seen that happen way too often.
A close friend is a judge. She always says that we need to raise our boys to keep them out of police custody.. She was speaking to those of " us" who are educated, upper- middle to upper class, etc.. I understood what she was implying...

I want to clarify that my friend's comments were BEFORE Trayvon, Ferguson, and all of the recent craziness that has been brought to light. Her point, in my opinion, was that we can't just assume that being educated, and providing great opportunities for our children will cause the police to see them in a different light..

Reaction score
Reactions
75,668 1,640 2,662
Alleybux
my stepson (who i raise as my own child) is about to be 9 and little girls are constantly giving him things- money, gifts, etc., so i spend a LOT of time telling him that he's not supposed to take gifts from girls.

ddw

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
65 1
Alleybux
Tangent: how DO you guys deal with the whole " others" thing? Hubby and I call them the clear kids.. I think the kiddos know what we mean though.
example: for my son's B- day I took cupcakes and balloons to class. His teacher does this " Imaginary gift box" thing. Each kid has to give a gift.. All of the little girls ( the clear ones) put themselves in the box... 😳.. They wanted to give THEMSELVES to my son!!! My baby was sitting there with blue frosting on his face muttering.. ,"I just want some Legos"... 😒...
Then... Chloe.. As I'm leaving... Says, " Bye Donna".... 😡😒.. Yep.... She's 6..... 6......I wanted to drop kick her....

stubborn

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
145,854 11,419 18,059
Alleybux
I guess not many people are teaching their sons how they should be treated or how the opposite gender should treat them, like they do with their daughters :dunno:

FamousBreakfast

French Toast Lover
Reaction score
Reactions
3,151 147 5
Alleybux
I have a 4 year old son and I talk to him about how he should be treated by girls. Also, how he should treat them as well. I model it for him. So he can see it in action. At his age he picks up traits quickly. I try to be a better blueprint for him to follow.

Trap Queen

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
1,722 47 68
Alleybux
I wonder why this thread isn't getting many replies :disdain:
Maybe bc a lot of fonts on this site are younger and don't have kids and if they do have kids, maybe it's a girl and not a boy.

We teach our son everything, we believe in being completely honest and telling him things before other kids and outside influences are able to tell him.

I'm constantly building his self esteem and letting him know that he's the smartest, most handsome kid ever. Even when he didn't make the basketball team, I praised him for his skills and let him know that he's a great player, which he is. I also let him know that black and dark skin is beautiful. I explain to him what types of girls are the good girls and which ones to avoid.

Sometimes he gets annoyed with me and tunes me out but he really does listen to what we say. A lot of kids his age are running the streets and acting grown while he's in the house or outside playing basketball, jumping on his trampoline, or playing with his neighbors. He doesn't go anywhere unless somebody takes him and he has a big family on his dad's side so he always has kids to play with or things to do.

I'm always bugging him about who he hangs with and who their parents are bc some of these kids are too fast and grown and I would hate to have to fµck them or their parents up. We're overprotective but not too overprotective and strict. My baby is a great young man and I'm proud of him. I also let him know that if he's bad at school, I'm coming up their with a headscarf on, a house coat, and some slippers to embarrass him in front of his friends. He just laughs and says noooo

stubborn

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
145,854 11,419 18,059
Alleybux
Maybe bc a lot of fonts on this site are younger and don't have kids and if they do have kids, maybe it's a girl and not a boy.

We teach our son everything, we believe in being completely honest and telling him things before other kids and outside influences are able to tell him.

I'm constantly building his self esteem and letting him know that he's the smartest, most handsome kid ever. Even when he didn't make the basketball team, I praised him for his skills and let him know that he's a great player, which he is. I also let him know that black and dark skin is beautiful. I explain to him what types of girls are the good girls and which ones to avoid.

Sometimes he gets annoyed with me and tunes me out but he really does listen to what we say. A lot of kids his age are running the streets and acting grown while he's in the house or outside playing basketball, jumping on his trampoline, or playing with his neighbors. He doesn't go anywhere unless somebody takes him and he has a big family on his dad's side so he always has kids to play with or things to do.

I'm always bugging him about who he hangs with and who their parents are bc some of these kids are too fast and grown and I would hate to have to fµck them or their parents up. We're overprotective but not too overprotective and strict. My baby is a great young man and I'm proud of him. I also let him know that if he's bad at school, I'm coming up their with a headscarf on, a house coat, and some slippers to embarrass him in front of his friends. He just laughs and says noooo

You sound like a great mom. :cute2:

Idk. There have been threads on the opposite and threads about teaching sons how to treat a lady or how to be a "real man" and it got pages worth of posts. People who didn't have kids even posted in those threads about how they are going to teach their sons how to treat women and how to be respectful to women, which is great b/c they need to know how, but I never hear about males being taught how they should be treated or people learning how to treat males. :dunno: