Quantcast

PhD in public policy or social work / DSW?

B00BooKeyS

Shut up
Reaction score
Reactions
79,488 1,913 432
Alleybux
Hi everyone! I’m currently finishing up my first year of my MSW program and it really has me narrowing down in what I like. I really enjoy my public and urban policy courses and can imagine myself doing Marco or mezzo work in communities when it comes to policies (over even private companies tbh) but I also enjoy research and traditional “social work” themes such as advocacy work or social welfare. I would love to get my PhD and considering that I’ll be 24 when I officially finish my MSW, it would be great if I got my PhD before I turn 30. Anyone with guidance or suggestions? My GPA is 4.0, so grades aren’t an issue for me either. My undergrad was in sociology and anthropology with a minor in psychology.

B00BooKeyS

Shut up
Reaction score
Reactions
79,488 1,913 432
Alleybux
What are your ultimate goals, what do you want to do with whichever one?
Honestly working with communities and helping solve problems in a macro level through policy or advocacy work. With public policy, I love how you’re literally in the nitty gritty of things when it comes to government or politics or even on the smaller scale. But with social work, I love the advocacy work but you can also do policy work with it as well + quantitative research. Idk, I like both a lot LOL. At the moment, being a policy analyst or social work agency leader both seem interesting to me.

Reaction score
Reactions
2,383 46 5
Alleybux
I have a BSW and MSW. I wouldn’t get a PhD in SW or a DSW unless I was trying to be a tenured professor but that’s just me. MSW with independent licensure is considered the terminal degree in the field aka you can do everything at that level.

Reaction score
Reactions
6,856 274 235
Alleybux
Honestly working with communities and helping solve problems in a macro level through policy or advocacy work. With public policy, I love how you’re literally in the nitty gritty of things when it comes to government or politics or even on the smaller scale. But with social work, I love the advocacy work but you can also do policy work with it as well + quantitative research. Idk, I like both a lot LOL. At the moment, being a policy analyst or social work agency leader both seem interesting to me.
With a PhD in either one you can achieve the same end. By the way, you want a PhD in social work rather than a DSW. Be aware that PhDs are research and teaching degrees. You are being prepared for university teaching, and think tanks such as Brookings or Urban Institute. With the PhD in either one, you can consult internationally as well as teach and advocate. Evaluate programs, see who has the most interesting courses and the most attractive financial aid packages. Good luck to you. These days, the sky is the limit for you.

Aristochat

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
88,210 1,045 564
Alleybux
Hi everyone! I’m currently finishing up my first year of my MSW program and it really has me narrowing down in what I like. I really enjoy my public and urban policy courses and can imagine myself doing Marco or mezzo work in communities when it comes to policies (over even private companies tbh) but I also enjoy research and traditional “social work” themes such as advocacy work or social welfare. I would love to get my PhD and considering that I’ll be 24 when I officially finish my MSW, it would be great if I got my PhD before I turn 30. Anyone with guidance or suggestions? My GPA is 4.0, so grades aren’t an issue for me either. My undergrad was in sociology and anthropology with a minor in psychology.

If you want to be a professor, I would choose a public policy PhD over a social work PhD. The public policy PhD would expand your tenure track job opportunities beyond social work. Given that you will already have a MSW, you'd already be eligible/competitive for social work TT jobs. Many of the social work postings do not require you to have a PhD in the field, but sometimes they require you to have a MSW.

gaptoof

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
50,730 939 867
Alleybux
I agree with the fonts: if I were you, I would get a PhD in public policy rather than a DSW.