Quantcast

Phone Interview

The0ne

Bossy
Reaction score
Reactions
260,781 11,471 6,446
Alleybux
Anybody ever had a 20-30 min phone interview? I have one either tomorrow or Monday. Seems a but long for a phone interview, I was referred by my old boss, do you think ill have to do a whole series of interviews after this one? I should just ask my old boss but want to know what yall think first.

Lady Sith

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
3,561 61 98
Alleybux
20-30 mins is typical for phone interviews. It might seem long but by the time you are done and you look at the time, you will be surprised at how much time has passed. I have done phone interviews that lasted more than that. Its important to have a conversation/ask them questions too. If they really like you over the phone, they will call you back for an in person interview, maybe 2-3. Some of them might be with groups of people. Make sure you send a thank you email after the phone interview.

The0ne

Bossy
Reaction score
Reactions
260,781 11,471 6,446
Alleybux
20-30 mins is typical for phone interviews. It might seem long but by the time you are done and you look at the time, you will be surprised at how much time has passed. I have done phone interviews that lasted more than that. Its important to have a conversation/ask them questions too. If they really like you over the phone, they will call you back for an in person interview, maybe 2-3. Some of them might be with groups of people. Make sure you send a thank you email after the phone interview.

Im emailing with the recruiter now, should I ask her what position ill be interviewing for in the email, there was no specification. I know what I want to do and my goals, I just hope it applies to the position ill be discussing with her.

Lady Sith

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
3,561 61 98
Alleybux
Im emailing with the recruiter now, should I ask her what position ill be interviewing for in the email, there was no specification. I know what I want to do and my goals, I just hope it applies to the position ill be discussing with her.

You have a phone interview and you don't know what the position is?

The0ne

Bossy
Reaction score
Reactions
260,781 11,471 6,446
Alleybux
You have a phone interview and you don't know what the position is?

no I was referred so my old boss just passed my resume along to the recruiter. I didn't apply directly on their site. The email I got tho said thanks for applying on our career page and then she asked what day and time was best to talk.

KieraMonae

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
14,035 410 29
Alleybux
Yes, and its a typical time for a phone interview. The interviewer needs time in between questions to jot down notes and they also give you time to ask questions. You should hear in depth about the job and what the requirements are. Make sure you have questions to ask. They may also give you a broad time span to make sure you clear your schedule for that time.

Lady Sith

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
3,561 61 98
Alleybux
no I was referred so my old boss just passed my resume along to the recruiter. I didn't apply directly on their site. The email I got tho said thanks for applying on our career page and then she asked what day and time was best to talk.

So it is more of a what are you skills kind of phone call?

Bandzzz

Not about that BS!
Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
1,671 27 50
Alleybux
Make sure you send a thank you email after the phone interview.

Please don't send an email thanking them after the interview, that seems stalkerish and desperate. You can tell them thank you on the phone.

I think before you pass your resume on for any position, you should at least know what the job is and what the job is about. Most likely she will tell you what its about during the phone interview and ask you if that is something you'll be interested in before proceeding with the interview.

Lady Sith

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
3,561 61 98
Alleybux
Please don't send an email thanking them after the interview, that seems stalkerish and desperate. You can tell them thank you on the phone.

I think before you pass pass your resume on for any position, you should at least know what the job is and what the job is about. Most likely she will tell you what its about doing the phone interview and ask you if that is something you'll be interested in before proceeding with the interview.

Well what do i know, i'm only a Human Resources Manager.

The0ne

Bossy
Reaction score
Reactions
260,781 11,471 6,446
Alleybux

I think before you pass pass your resume on for any position, you should at least know what the job is and what the job is about. Most likely she will tell you what its about doing the phone interview and ask you if that is something you'll be interested in before proceeding with the interview.

So don't ask her in the email now what position im interviewing for?

Lady Sith

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
3,561 61 98
Alleybux
No it specifically said phone interview

But for what kind of job? What does the organization do? What did you study?

ETA: Why are you waiting until now to find out what the position is? When you were contacted for the interview is when you should have asked. Otherwise, how are you supposed to prepare for the interview?

The0ne

Bossy
Reaction score
Reactions
260,781 11,471 6,446
Alleybux
But for what kind of job? What does the organization do? What did you study?

ETA: Why are you waiting until now to find out what the position is? When you were contacted for the interview is when you should have asked. Otherwise, how are you supposed to prepare for the interview?

she literally just emailed me at 2:30Pm requesting a phone interview, I told her when im avail, I told her what days, I guess I could have asked in that email, but I was so hype I forgot and now im here asking lol.

THRILLHO

Simpson, eh
Reaction score
Reactions
79,596 2,198 194
Alleybux
OP u might be having a phone interview with an employment agency meaning they're just trying to learn about you in general so that they can find job placements for you. In this case you need to know your goals, where you want to work, job expectations, your personality, and some general questions like how your keep yourself organized or how you work in groups. Stuff like that.

Confirm it with them to be sure, but it seems to me this is the case.

Lady Sith

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
3,561 61 98
Alleybux
she literally just emailed me at 2:30Pm requesting a phone interview, I told her when im avail, I told her what days, I guess I could have asked in that email, but I was so hype I forgot and now im here asking lol.

Ok well, if you are not sure what the position is for, email her to confirm.

The0ne

Bossy
Reaction score
Reactions
260,781 11,471 6,446
Alleybux
OP u might be having a phone interview with an employment agency meaning they're just trying to learn about you in general so that they can find job placements for you. In this case you need to know your goals, where you want to work, job expectations, your personality, and some general questions like how your keep yourself organized or how you work in groups. Stuff like that.

Confirm it with them to be sure, but it seems to me this is the case.

Im not interviewing for an employment agency. I am interviewing with a company, directly. Did you read the whole thread?

ashley_ginuwine

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
1,476 71 30
Alleybux
Good luck I hate telephone interviews. It does seem long I've only had one telephone interview that lasted that long but that was with the airport everything else has been quite brief only lasting a few minutes

geminimooner

Fairy
Reaction score
Reactions
59 19 1
Alleybux
It's relatively easy to do research. If she emailed you from a company email addresses, look up the company and go to the career section to look at open positions. While I don't understand why you did not confirm what position the interview is for, you can do yourself a service by taking a look at the site not only to determine for yourself what you'd be a good fit for as well as get clued in to the company and the culture.

Bandzzz

Not about that BS!
Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
1,671 27 50
Alleybux
So don't ask her in the email now what position im interviewing for?

Well you can if you want to, or try to call.

Can you contact your boss now and ask her about it?

The0ne

Bossy
Reaction score
Reactions
260,781 11,471 6,446
Alleybux
It's relatively easy to do research. If she emailed you from a company email addresses, look up the company and go to the career section to look at open positions. While I don't understand why you did not confirm what position the interview is for, you can do yourself a service by taking a look at the site not only to determine for yourself what you'd be a good fit for as well as get clued in to the company and the culture.

I just texted my old boss and asked her. Thanks.

Bandzzz

Not about that BS!
Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
1,671 27 50
Alleybux
Lmao at kiss ass. Do you understand corporate America at all or are you here just enjoying the day before your shift lol?

Yea I do and that is why I'll never kiss ass to gain a position. Money doesn't make my world go round, doing something I enjoy on my terms does, and that doesn't include kissing ass to someone.

geminimooner

Fairy
Reaction score
Reactions
59 19 1
Alleybux
Text? Why are you texting? Email or phone call. I wish I would text my current boss for information or a recommendation if I was leaving my company.

Clyde

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
43,192 829 684
Alleybux
I would suggest to have a printout of your resume. You may want to have some notes about your performance at your current job. If it's a technical interview. A cheat sheet doesn't hurt.

The0ne

Bossy
Reaction score
Reactions
260,781 11,471 6,446
Alleybux
Text? Why are you texting? Email or phone call. I wish I would text my current boss for information or a recommendation if I was leaving my company.

My old boss already left and she is helping get in her new company. That is how we regularly communicate, even when she was here. And besides we are both at work, and have been pretty much texting each other back and forth all day. She texted me and told me to forward her my resume. Then when I got the email from the recruiter I texted her to let her know.

geminimooner

Fairy
Reaction score
Reactions
59 19 1
Alleybux
Yea I do and that is why I'll never kiss ass to gain a position. Money doesn't make my world go round, doing something I enjoy on my terms does, and that doesn't include kissing ass to someone.

This literally made no sense. Who is speaking of money? Any smart person knows that when gunning for a mid level and up role, you should reiterate your years of experience and your qualifications for a position in a follow up email. Not only is it customary, it is professional. A follow up email memorializes your interest, and helps them with recall especially if multiple applicants are being interviewed and decision is not immediate. Further, if they like you but don't think you are a good fit for a particular role, they have something to reference along with your resume.

But you can just disregard since it's likely not in your future.

geminimooner

Fairy
Reaction score
Reactions
59 19 1
Alleybux
My old boss already left and she is helping get in her new company. That is how we regularly communicate, even when she was here. And besides we are both at work, and have been pretty much texting each other back and forth all day. She texted me and told me to forward her my resume. Then when I got the email from the recruiter I texted her to let her know.

What industry is this?

The0ne

Bossy
Reaction score
Reactions
260,781 11,471 6,446
Alleybux
Maybe it's much more informal in that industry. Oh well, carry on.

I think it depends on who you are working with. But my boss was super laid back and chill, but even at my last company we all pretty much texted to communicate too. idk.

The Culture

News Alley

Top Bottom