Pink Moon Monday

bok bok motherclucker
Reactions
10,650 114
Alleybux

Don't miss the Pink Moon! Supermoon set to dazzle the night sky MONDAY will be 30% brighter and 14% larger than what is typically seen​

• The Pink Moon will peak at 11:32pm ET on Monday, April 26
  • However, the moon will not glow pink, but will shine a stunning goldish color
  • The name comes from the early springtime blooms of as creeping phlox
  • The supermoon will be visible after sunset and peak at 11:32pm ET
  • There is a second supermoon in May that is called the Flower Moon
A rare full moon is set to appear in the night sky Monday, April 26 that will be one of the brightest and biggest this year.

Named the ‘Pink Moon,’ this supermoon will be 30 percent more dazzling and 14 percent larger than the average full moon – but do not expect the lunar surface to be glowing pink.

The name derives from the early springtime blooms of certain flowers native to eastern North America that are commonly known as creeping phlox – but has been referred to ‘moss pink.’

This full moon—which is the first of two supermoons this year—will be visible after sunset and reach peak illumination at 11:32pm ET.

A rare full moon is set to appear in the night sky Monday, April 26 that will be one of the brightest and biggest this year. Pictured is the Pink Moon captured in 2019 behind Mow Cop Castle on the Cheshire/Staffordshire border.

A second supermoon is set for May 26, making the pair the closest to appear this year.

On Monday, the moon will appear full for nearly three days around the same time, 11:32pm ET, starting Sunday through Wednesday morning.

But it will glow in its full brilliance Monday evening.

In New York City, moonrise is scheduled for 7:24pm ET and Earth's natural satellite will set about 11 hours later.

However, if you miss the Pink Moon, the Flower Moon will rise May 26 and be 98 miles closer to Earth.

WHAT IS A FULL PINK MOON AND WHERE DOES IT GET ITS NAME?​

The phenomenon, known as the 'Pink Moon', earns its name from the flowering of the brightly-coloured herb 'moss pink,' which typically coincides with its arrival.

It’s also known as the Egg Moon, Sprouting Grass Moon, Growing Moon or Full Fish Moon.

The name comes from the Herb moss pink phlox, or 'wild ground' phlox, which blooms in early spring in the US and Canada.

In the Northern Hemisphere, the April full moon lines up with the blooming of one of spring's earliest-flowering plants – wild ground phlox, or 'moss pink'.

The phenomenon, known as the 'Pink Moon', earns its name from the flowering of the brightly-coloured herb 'moss pink'

The phenomenon, known as the 'Pink Moon', earns its name from the flowering of the brightly-coloured herb 'moss pink'

The pink moon, which is also known as the grass moon and the egg moon, was given its moniker by Native Americans, who provided a name for each full moon to help them keep track of time.

Native Americans have a name for the full moon of every month in the calendar, including Wolf Moon for January, Snow Moon for February and Worm Moon for March – then Flower Moon in May. Strawberry Moon is for June, Buck Moon is for July and Sturgeon Moon is for August.

In September, there is a Harvest Moon, Hunter's Moon is in October, Beaver Moon is in November and Cold Moon is in December.

---

ETA pics from this year's pink moon:

Pink Supermoon rises behind the Statue of Liberty from Liberty State Park in Hoboken, NJ on Monday, April 26, 2021. This week's supermoon is dubbed 'pink' because of its timing close to flower blooming season

Pink Supermoon rises behind the Statue of Liberty from Liberty State Park in Hoboken, NJ on Monday, April 26, 2021. This week's supermoon is dubbed 'pink' because of its timing close to flower blooming season

The Super Pink Moon rises behind the stork in a nest in the village of Rzanicino near Skopje, Republic of North Macedonia, 26 April 2021

The Super Pink Moon rises behind the stork in a nest in the village of Rzanicino near Skopje, Republic of North Macedonia, 26 April 2021

The full moon sets behind Stonehenge on April 27, 2021 in Amesbury, England. The pink supermoon reached its peak size in the early hours of Tuesday morning

The full moon sets behind Stonehenge on April 27, 2021 in Amesbury, England. The pink supermoon reached its peak size in the early hours of Tuesday morning

The pink moon lights up the torch of the Statue of Liberty in New York City on April 26, as pictured from Jersey City, New Jersey

The pink moon lights up the torch of the Statue of Liberty in New York City on April 26, as pictured from Jersey City, New Jersey

The full moon sets over the past the clock face of the Queen Elizabeth Tower, part of the Houses of Parliament, which holds the bell known as Big Ben in London, Tuesday, April 27, 2021

The full moon sets over the past the clock face of the Queen Elizabeth Tower, part of the Houses of Parliament, which holds the bell known as Big Ben in London, Tuesday, April 27, 2021

Pictured is the moon rising above Glastonbury Tor - hill near Glastonbury in the English county of Somerset, topped by the roofless St Michael's Tower, a Grade I listed building - on April 26

Pictured is the moon rising above Glastonbury Tor - hill near Glastonbury in the English county of Somerset, topped by the roofless St Michael's Tower, a Grade I listed building - on April 26

The pink supermoon is seen behind the sculptures on the roof of the cathedral in Dresden, Germany, April 27. Despite its name, the moon didn't appear pink, but a goldish colour

The pink supermoon is seen behind the sculptures on the roof of the cathedral in Dresden, Germany, April 27. Despite its name, the moon didn't appear pink, but a goldish colour

An impressive shot of the moon as it rises over the Sydney Harbour Bridge in Australia. Despite its name, the April Supermoon appears more of a gold colour

An impressive shot of the moon as it rises over the Sydney Harbour Bridge in Australia. Despite its name, the April Supermoon appears more of a gold colour

The stunning supermoon sets behind the Eiffel Tower and statues of Pegasus Held By Fame on the Pont Alexandre III bridge, on April 27, 2021 in Paris, France

The stunning supermoon sets behind the Eiffel Tower and statues of Pegasus Held By Fame on the Pont Alexandre III bridge, on April 27, 2021 in Paris, France

The Super Pink Moon is seen rising behind the Nubble Lighthouse on Cape Neddick, in York, Maine, the US, 26 April, 2021

The Super Pink Moon is seen rising behind the Nubble Lighthouse on Cape Neddick, in York, Maine, the US, 26 April, 2021

Over Halle, Belgium, April 27. A supermoon occurs when the full moon nearly coincides with perigee - the point in the orbit of the moon at which it is nearest to the Earth

Over Halle, Belgium, April 27. A supermoon occurs when the full moon nearly coincides with perigee - the point in the orbit of the moon at which it is nearest to the Earth

A couple enjoy a stroll as the Pink Supermoon rises over Burrow Hill near Kingsbury Episcopi, Somerset, early in the spring morning

A couple enjoy a stroll as the Pink Supermoon rises over Burrow Hill near Kingsbury Episcopi, Somerset, early in the spring morning

The full moon sets over Little Cheyne Court Wind Farm on the Romney Marsh in Kent. Picture date: Tuesday April 27

The full moon sets over Little Cheyne Court Wind Farm on the Romney Marsh in Kent. Picture date: Tuesday April 27

--

FULL MOON NAMES AND THEIR MEANINGS​

January: Wolf Moon because wolves were heard more often at this time.

February: Snow Moon to coincide with heavy snow.

March: Worm Moon as the Sun increasingly warmed the soil and earthworms became active.

April: Pink Moon as it heralded the appearance of Phlox subulata or moss pink – one of spring's first flowers.

May: Flower Moon because of the abundance of blossoms.

June: Strawberry Moon because it appeared when the strawberry harvest first took place.

July: Buck Moon as it arrived when a male deer's antlers were in full growth mode.

August: Sturgeon Moon after the large fish that was easily caught at this time.

September: Corn Moon because this was the time to harvest corn.

October: Hunter's Moon after the time to hunt in preparation for winter.

November: Beaver Moon because it was the time to set up beaver traps.

December: Cold Moon because nights at this time of year were the longest.

Source: Old Farmer's Almanac

Last edited:

The Culture

Celebrity News

Ask LSA

The Lounge

General Alley

Recent Posts

9ja gist live 2021 (Brand New Tea Thread)
Thank you so much I’m not poor o,but I’m not where I’d like to be either,I can still flex abit and go on little vacations,we are getting there tho...
Was my dad trying to use me?
Sounds like he trying to get some of that child support money back you really have a trifling loser for a father
Was I wrong in my FWB relationship? Come drag me if I was...
Lmao yall are so sad and miserable. He clearly said I could do the same when it comes to masturbating. I guess his dick trash too, huh? Lmao. Of...
Have y’all checked in on Qaadir lately
Yeah I saw his last IG post, he’s been working...gee I wish we could hear about some of that experience over on Patreon! i forget some of y'all...
Allyiahsface Discussion
If this is the case, it may have been weed, coke is a huge accusation, especially without proof. That's a wild accusation. Are you from Atlanta...
Jackie Aina Thread
if she eats krips kreme, i'm sure she eats that too haha. is that a crispyjuicytender sandwich? speaking of mcdonalds, remember the model from...
  • Poll
Black woman goes on mini rant, says she gonna support Asian nail shops no matter what! “They...
No excuses bc ion owe YOU an explanation I'm contributing to the thread and stating my opinion And Girl idk what kinda friends and family you...
Top Bottom