Quantcast

Planning to Move to Jersey but I have no idea what areas are safe and also have good paying jobs ?

CashmereBabe

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,996 23
Alleybux
Is the school online? Id look for a place near the school bc nursing jobs are in demand anywhere tbh
I have the option for part time for in person learning but both options are available .

Last edited:

CashmereBabe

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,996 23
Alleybux
Lifelong Jersey-ite here. Like every place, there are good and bad areas within any town or city.
What are your concerns or must-haves? I'd bet that safety and diversity are desired. Below are my opinions, and not meant to diss anyone who lives in the towns I mention. I'd recommend you contact a realtor (with integrity) to get their recommendations/opinions as well.

Please do not live in Trenton or Camden; they are considered high-to-very high crime areas. Surrounding areas may be OK but do more research.

I live in Somerset county, and I like it, specifically, the townships of Somerset/Franklin. The Brunswicks (North & East) are OK, but I don't know the rentals' cost. New Brunswick is a college town and not bad, but some neighborhoods can be rough. Somerville and Piscataway are OK too. Look in Edison.

I work and live near Princeton - I love it there; as a college town, you may luck up and find affordable housing, but it is rare. Surrounding areas like Plainsboro, Lawrence, or Monroe might be places to look at.

I was born in raised in Union county; the Plainfields - some areas are fine and others not so, but again, do your research.

I'd avoid the cities of Newark/Irvington and Paterson (Passaic) too.

Good luck with your search, and welcome to New Jersey! I love it here!
So even with the new buildings by the Delaware border crime is still bad ??
I want to be in a area where I don’t have to worry about my apartment or future car being broken into or stolen while I’m not home or risks of xesual assault .. I grew up in the hood in NY and have heard shootings but not witnessed them literally blocks away but ppl know me here so I’ve neve been harmed but I know that it’s different when you’re not from that location .. I also don’t want to deal with bedbugs , roaches, and mice like in my last place so that’s a big concern as well .. it’s doesn’t have to be a super fancy area just decent while I finish school so I can have a peace of mind

CashmereBabe

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,996 23
Alleybux
Lived in the north east all my life never once heard a person say “I’m going to move to Jersey” it’s always “I moved from jersey”

I hope you got a good paying job or something op cause like......
Listen it was either that or upstate NY and that’s too far for me ..

CashmereBabe

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,996 23
Alleybux
i see you said you don’t have a car so you want to go where public trans is more reliable.
mid suggest Bergen county. Like another font said you can be really close to the city as well. And it’s better to cast a wider net when job hunting anyways.

I lived in the “hood“ areas so my reality is a little different. I know a lot of people would not want to move to those areas but i lived on nice streets and nothing crazy happened in my area of the neighborhood in recent years anyways. They are also gentrifying slowly but surely.
there are a lot of nice apartments coming up in eaat orange/ Newark and the train/bus is not a far walk. But since you’re new to the area I’d just avoid it all together.
Thank you .. y’all have helped me so much .. I have so many tabs open now with apartments .. it’s greatly appreciated .. I’m from the hood too but the rent is way too high and I’ve found bigger apts for my budget in Jersey which is why I’m moving here

Jak Rose

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
45,340 915 324
Alleybux
Are you planning to move to North Jersey or South Jersey?
North Jersey is not bad except for Paterson and maybe Newark (I haven't heard much about Newark lately but Paterson is a place you want to avoid being they are a corrupt city)

Hey there,

What about Jersey City for $1500? I work in Downtown Brooklyn and want to be in JC in about a year. Only willing to live off the PATH train and not the NJ Transit. Literally work off the 2 trains first stop in Brooklyn so the WTC/PATH is right there.

The Heights and Bergen/Lafayette are neighborhoods that REALLY pique my interest. Would this be a good option for OP as well? Especially with the $1500 budget? Mine is pretty much the same.

Gaou

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
138,941 4,018 1,050
Alleybux
I have the option for part time for in person learning but both options are available .

Since youre going to be traveling to school with either option, If I were you, id look for a place near the school so commute can be as easy as possible. You dont drive right? As someone that had to take the nj transit during college, it can be very frustrating and ruin your day and god forbid it happens during the day of an exam. A 30 min commute by car is like an 1hr and a half or 2 hrs by public transit so keep that in my mind

brokebanks

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
Ive lived in South Jersey for a while. I’d reccomemd the sicklerville area. It’s pretty affordable, youre literally right by Philly, (which has good spots for city life/good hospitals,) and in general has a good amount of stores. Now it’s not the flashiest place ever but it’s not bad from where I’ve lived. Sicklerville itself has a few decent Hospitals for possible jobs. The rest of south Jersey is farmlands, woods and the beach. I personally like it.

As far as some saying it’s racists. It can be but so can everywhere else?

KillerPups

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
35,585 419 249
Alleybux
Maplewood
South Orange
Montclair
Metuchen
Piscataway
Summit

Only towns I like that have black ppl

LazyDaisy

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
212,333 3,164 1,231
Alleybux
Hey there,

What about Jersey City for $1500? I work in Downtown Brooklyn and want to be in JC in about a year. Only willing to live off the PATH train and not the NJ Transit. Literally work off the 2 trains first stop in Brooklyn so the WTC/PATH is right there.

The Heights and Bergen/Lafayette are neighborhoods that REALLY pique my interest. Would this be a good option for OP as well? Especially with the $1500 budget? Mine is pretty much the same.
Jersey City is a great suggestion for OP and I second the Path if you're heading to NY.

RasberryViolet

pisces szn
Reaction score
Reactions
362,206 9,312 939
Alleybux
Hey there,

Yeah if I can remember correctly my coworker lived in Jersey City and I forgot what his rent was but Jersey City is a cheap city. You'll probably find something small but that should be go enough since you work in the city.

Jak Rose

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
45,340 915 324
Alleybux
Yeah if I can remember correctly my coworker lived in Jersey City and I forgot what his rent was but Jersey City is a cheap city. You'll probably find something small but that should be go enough since you work in the city.

See now....THAT'S what I'm talking about. Do you remember if where they lived was kinda hood or not?

MemeRose1

PROTECT BLACK WOMEN
Reaction score
Reactions
90,224 14,470 2,829
Alleybux
I’ve been researching cities in Jersey for about two years now and I’m ready to move .. I’ve found some apartments in my budget but I don’t know the area well and don’t want to put myself in harms way .. If anybody born and raised in Jersey can give me some tips that would be greatly appreciated . Also any areas with good jobs as well bc I’m trying to limit my travel time
Stick to northern Jersey if u want to be by nyc. Stick to southern Jersey if you want more afforable housing

Sorash

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
735 1
Alleybux
Hey there,

You will definitely be able to find apt in that budget in those two areas. The heights is being gentrified like crazy as we speak. So I won’t be surprised if prices start going up. They already have. Bergen Lafayette is cute a lot of new shops, restaurants popping up.

Bergen Lafayette and the heights are not right off the path train. There are connections to the path train via NJT light rail but not walking distance or should I say not a walk you would probably be willing to do!!!!

Areas right off the path line with quick 10 minute access to NYC are paulus hook, exchange place, van vorst, Newport and journal square.

You can definitely find something affordable in journal square area as well. The other areas right next to the other path stations that I mentioned above are much more expensive.

CashmereBabe

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,996 23
Alleybux
I think Overlook Medical Center in Summit is highly ranked. So if nursing is your thing, consider applying there. Also, North Jersey is better overall for the job market. The trick is just finding an affordable place that isn't too far. I don't know too many hospitals but there's also Saint Barnabas in Livingston which is close to West Orange, Montclair, South Orange (nice and safe towns though WO could use a little more black people for my comfort).

Anyone else know of any hospitals in Jersey for OP? I think looking for where your potential employers will be will help you decide on where to live.

And if you consider working at Overlook, you could probably get a nice place in your budget in Hackensack (someone said it was nice over there) or Teaneck.
Yes as soon as I put in summit I found apartments in my budget that were across from Times Square ... all y’all advice has helped me so much .. I’ve also found some hospitals jobs and out in applications .

LazyDaisy

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
212,333 3,164 1,231
Alleybux
Yes as soon as I put in summit I found apartments in my budget that were across from Times Square ... all y’all advice has helped me so much .. I’ve also found some hospitals jobs and out in applications .
Yay! Glad to help. Hope you find something. :)

Belle Heir

Huzzah
Reaction score
Reactions
6,693 176 89
Alleybux
Stick to North Jersey especially if you don’t have a car. With your budget you’re looking at an outskirt/urbanish area

Uknowhatsup

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
68,228 1,379 535
Alleybux
I live in North Jersey. Very close to NYC and it’s perfect since I still work in the city. So check out places in North Jersey. I live in Union county

CashmereBabe

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,996 23
Alleybux
Do not move to cherry hill. It’s racist as fµck there. My nephew got off his school bus and someone driving by called him the N word...a freaking 7 year old. Another girl said people make racist remarks to her all the time.
Wow sorry to hear that .. checking that off my list

Mane Event

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,434 65 11
Alleybux
Bumping….relocating to Jersey and interested in recommendations for a family.

Background/Wants:

Commuting to NYC 2 days a week l

Prefer more suburban living for a family of 4 (2 young kids: 6 and 4 years old)

- Good to great schools are a must (but from my research I hear Jersey has a great school system and online ratings may not be comparable to the rest of the country)

- Don’t mind a bit of a longer commute for more suburban living; restaurants/extra curricular activities/little league sports/gyms/shopping/grocery stores are a drive, yet close (within miles)

- Moving from the South but born and raised in AZ. Prefer not to go below 15% black population.

Give me your best recs!!!

Zbae3417

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
210,124 6,955 564
Alleybux
I’d suggest Montclair, Piscataway, and Plainfield. What’s your budget?
Bumping….relocating to Jersey and interested in recommendations for a family.

Background/Wants:

Commuting to NYC 2 days a week l

Prefer more suburban living for a family of 4 (2 young kids: 6 and 4 years old)

- Good to great schools are a must (but from my research I hear Jersey has a great school system and online ratings may not be comparable to the rest of the country)

- Don’t mind a bit of a longer commute for more suburban living; restaurants/extra curricular activities/little league sports/gyms/shopping/grocery stores are a drive, yet close (within miles)

- Moving from the South but born and raised in AZ. Prefer not to go below 15% black population.

Give me your best recs!!!

SocaGyal

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
2,173 71 26
Alleybux
Lived in West Orange (Essex County). New Jersey Transit buses to/from Port Authority NY, but depends where you live relative to the bus stop. I know it stops outside of the Turtle Back zoo/Cody Arena on Northfield Av. A new apt. building was being built couple months ago across the street. Also, Montclair isn't bad; parts of it border W.O. Beware of Orange. South Orange is supposed to be nice, although I don't know much about it. Good luck whatever you decide.

By the way, it depends where you live, re floods in NJ. i.e. Hackensack, Englewood, Hoboken are flood zones-especially Hobo. Further inland you go, the less chance you could be flooded. Check out whether or not your desired area's flood-prone and whether or not it's above or below sea level.

Kateye

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
14,911 516 235
Alleybux
I’ve been looking at Cherry Hill , Bayonne, Trenton, and Camden .. my budget max is $1500 a month for rent .. a studio or one bedroom works
You might afford something in Camden, and close to Philadelphia.