Quantcast

Planting/Growing Indoor Herbs

Sophia Home Now

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
17,061 426 206
Alleybux
Hey all - I want to grow my herbs inside. Just ordered some that should be delivered mid-April that will be ready to plant. (Parsley, rosemary, dill, basil, chive, oregano, thyme, sage and cilantro.) They will be located in a south facing window which gets tons of light as recommended. I'll probably be planting in three separate containers for my windowsill. My question is, what is the best configuration for planting, as I know some herbs are beasts and can overwhelm a planter, if not planted separately. I also know like herbs can be potted together due to their watering requirements (not sure which ones though). TYIA!

Reaction score
Reactions
2,817 830 1,361
Alleybux
I'm planting soon too! I would plant the oregano, thyme and rosemary together. Chive and Dill together. And the cilantro and basil. The sage on its own.

Reaction score
Reactions
2,817 830 1,361
Alleybux
Hey all - I want to grow my herbs inside. Just ordered some that should be delivered mid-April that will be ready to plant. (Parsley, rosemary, dill, basil, chive, oregano, thyme, sage and cilantro.) They will be located in a south facing window which gets tons of light as recommended. I'll probably be planting in three separate containers for my windowsill. My question is, what is the best configuration for planting, as I know some herbs are beasts and can overwhelm a planter, if not planted separately. I also know like herbs can be potted together due to their watering requirements (not sure which ones though). TYI
I'm planting soon too! I would plant the oregano, thyme and rosemary together. Chive and Dill together. And the cilantro and basil. The sage on its own.
Actually did a bit more research...plant dill, chive and cilantro together. All need less sun then basil. To be honest I would plant basil with the sage and parsley all need about the same light. Parsley being more versitle. Then the oregano, rosemary and tyme together, which are all wood stemmed plants. Hope that helps.

Sophia Home Now

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
17,061 426 206
Alleybux
Actually did a bit more research...plant dill, chive and cilantro together. All need less sun then basil. To be honest I would plant basil with the sage and parsley all need about the same light. Parsley being more versitle. Then the oregano, rosemary and tyme together, which are all wood stemmed plants. Hope that helps.
Thank you so much, luv!

FireBella456

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
102 1 1
Alleybux
Try MIgardener on Youtube. He has growing guide videos that have been really helpful for me.

A Hiromi May

The Daydreamer
Reaction score
Reactions
51,191 624 51
Alleybux
I had a basil plant last year. Grew it from seeds. I think basil is part of the mint family. The roots grew like crazy. I had it growing on the windowsill and it got rootbound (twice) and needed multiple waterings a day. I trimmed the roots and moved it to a bigger pot.

It does need a lot of sun. When we moved and the South sun was no longer available the plant said adios to me.

I found this companion planting chart.
Companion-Planting-Chart-WB.jpg

Hanna Marin

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
14,997 232 12
Alleybux
I'm currently growing tomatoes in my apartment that barely gets any natural light. Herbs and salads are next!
I love the aerogarden!

I have a couple and have grown so much and its fun to experiment

Basil, so much basillllll
dill
cucumbers
tomatoes, cherry, sunsugar, tinytom
jalapenos, habanero, many peppers
oregano
swiss chard
spinach
thyme
parsley
ground cherries
strawberries

im pretty sure more, but we have had fun experimenting and see what we can grow indoors using natural sunlight and grow lights.

you can also grow things with potting soil or using the kratky method which grows things twice as fast

Harley Quinn

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
22,169 243 150
Alleybux
I’m currently trying to grow garlic, and it’s been hit or miss. My current little clove isn’t doing too bad, but sunlight has been inconsistent. I failed with growing lettuce lol it was dead in 5 days. I haven’t tried anything else, but I want to.

Eaglewings1

EtherealPiscean
Reaction score
Reactions
318 10 2
Alleybux
I'd love to try this (growing herbs at home), sounds quite interesting.

Shipoopi

...the Girl who's hard to get.
Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
24,860 2,640 2,393
Alleybux
I'm currently growing tomatoes in my apartment that barely gets any natural light. Herbs and salads are next!

I have to second getting an Aerogarden. My fiancé got me one last November because she knows I love gardening, but suck at it lol. As soon as I opened the box, I got another the same day. So within 24 hours I had 2, and I LOVE them. So far, I've grown dill, Thai basil, sweet basil, cherry tomatoes, thyme, etc. I'm waiting on my peppers to come in, though. Those seem to take forever.
The only downside is this thing is BRIGHT and up def need to wear sunblock indoors of you are like me and fighting hyperpigmentation. Enjoy it!

Edit: it made me edit the quote. Ew.

Bjxxxx

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
60,856 1,064 802
Alleybux
Also take the basil leaves before the plant flowers. Pick off the flowers to keep the stem growning. I had some amazing herb plants last year. All in the south. I have tomatos, marigolds, pansies, peppers, celosio, and cuttings from lavender, rosemary, also some onions, carrots, and lettuce.

Thanks for the suggestions about putting what things together.

Sophia Home Now

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
17,061 426 206
Alleybux
Do you have any good resources that explain this method?
From Wiki: The Kratky method is a passive hydroponic technique for growing plants suspended above a reservoir of nutrient-rich water. Because it is a non-circulating technique, no additional inputs of water or nutrients are needed after the original application, and no electricity, pumps, or water and oxygen circulation systems are required. The Kratky method has applications both for commercial food production and as a small-scale and low-maintenance technique for home growers.

DZbornak

I’m not patronizing you, I’m a-mocking you
Reaction score
Reactions
152,720 5,367 1,568
Alleybux
I got an Aerogarden and I think it’s the best way to grow almost everything.

Charlie Brown

Creative.
Reaction score
Reactions
12,200 288 104
Alleybux
Loving this thread!!! Not ready to grow yet but if I have a bit more space in my next place later this year, I’ll work towards this. Love the artificial light option!!

perseph0ne

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
221,463 11,782 9,978
Alleybux
i have an aerogarden.

I did indoor gardening the old fashioned way a while back, i recommend a portable greenhouse

Onyxprincess

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
26,150 1,546 1,886
Alleybux
Easier to water if u plant according to water needs.

Oregano, thyme, rosemary, sage all can dry out a little more between waterings. So u could plant them together.

Dill, basil etc dont like to be pretty moist, so u can plant the together.

Amanirenas

Qore li kdwe li
Reaction score
Reactions
104,455 2,521 1,598
Alleybux
Make sure you watch the air quality in your home. Too much humidity and moisture could make your plants sickly.

Sophia Home Now

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
17,061 426 206
Alleybux
OK. My mind is racing. I've got a side plot with greenery that is south facing as well with irrigation. Good or bad idea to plant my herbs there?

Sophia Home Now

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
17,061 426 206
Alleybux
UPDATE: Got my herbs from growersexchange.com. They mail according to your zone. I received an email that they would be arriving the next day. Cool. They were very well packaged, all lying horizontally and wrapped in plastic. Followed the instructions to unwrap, water if necessary and allow to acclimate. Fine. Did all of that. Went to bed and woke up to find damn near all of them were already dying. WTH?! Was talking with my sister this past weekend, who loves to garden and she said it seemed like they were diseased and/or on their way to the grave to begin with. GAH. Soooo disappointed.

So with that being said, I've been looking at the aerogarden/hydroponic alternatives. @goofballjamall, how low maintenance is yours? I've been reading mixed reviews about maintenance, bugs, etc. Would appreciate your input if you have the time. Thanks all!

GoofballJamal

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
86,178 2,818 2,158
Alleybux
UPDATE: Got my herbs from growersexchange.com. They mail according to your zone. I received an email that they would be arriving the next day. Cool. They were very well packaged, all lying horizontally and wrapped in plastic. Followed the instructions to unwrap, water if necessary and allow to acclimate. Fine. Did all of that. Went to bed and woke up to find damn near all of them were already dying. WTH?! Was talking with my sister this past weekend, who loves to garden and she said it seemed like they were diseased and/or on their way to the grave to begin with. GAH. Soooo disappointed.

So with that being said, I've been looking at the aerogarden/hydroponic alternatives. @goofballjamall, how low maintenance is yours? I've been reading mixed reviews about maintenance, bugs, etc. Would appreciate your input if you have the time. Thanks all!

Good thing I checked this thread out because the tag didn't work lol.

It's low maintenence, sis! I just look at the indicators to be reminded of when to add plant food or water. You add plant food every 2 weeks. You add water every couple of days. They recommend that you dump all of the water out and refill monthly, but that takes like 3 minutes to do. Pruning takes like 30 seconds, and you don't really have to do that often.

I have found maybe 3 super tiny bugs near my plant in the 8 months I've had it. No infestations or anything horrible.

As a note, I have the Aerogarden Harvest 360. 6 seed slots which has produced so many tomatoes that I'm totally over them now lol.

81Watt2w%2BqL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Sophia Home Now

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
17,061 426 206
Alleybux
Good thing I checked this thread out because the tag didn't work lol.

It's low maintenence, sis! I just look at the indicators to be reminded of when to add plant food or water. You add plant food every 2 weeks. You add water every couple of days. They recommend that you dump all of the water out and refill monthly, but that takes like 3 minutes to do. Pruning takes like 30 seconds, and you don't really have to do that often.

I have found maybe 3 super tiny bugs near my plant in the 8 months I've had it. No infestations or anything horrible.

As a note, I have the Aerogarden Harvest 360. 6 seed slots which has produced so many tomatoes that I'm totally over them now lol.

81Watt2w%2BqL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Thank you! Outside of the initial purchase, do I also need to buy the plant food? Do your herbs crowd each others out if applicable? Thanks again.

GoofballJamal

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
86,178 2,818 2,158
Alleybux
Thank you! Outside of the initial purchase, do I also need to buy the plant food? Do your herbs crowd each others out if applicable? Thanks again.
Yeah, you'll need to buy plant food, but it isn't expensive (I got a 2 lb bag for $15). The plant food included in the box lasted me 6 months, so I just purchased my own.

I haven't grown herbs yet, but my homegirl has. She has had to prune hers because they can grow a little wild. I've only grown tomatoes, and those definitely crowd each other out. Only 3 pods should have been in my aerogarden, but I initially used all 6 because I didn't read instructions lol. Eventually, I removed 3 pods so the other 3 could thrive.

Sophia Home Now

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
17,061 426 206
Alleybux
Yeah, you'll need to buy plant food, but it isn't expensive (I got a 2 lb bag for $15). The plant food included in the box lasted me 6 months, so I just purchased my own.

I haven't grown herbs yet, but my homegirl has. She has had to prune hers because they can grow a little wild. I've only grown tomatoes, and those definitely crowd each other out. Only 3 pods should have been in my aerogarden, but I initially used all 6 because I didn't read instructions lol. Eventually, I removed 3 pods so the other 3 could thrive.
So very helpful. Thank you again!

News Alley

General Alley

Top Bottom