Quantcast

Play it safe or challenge myself (LONG)

Should I take my hardest classes first or last?

• Total voters

ImTheOne

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
30,483 1,061 139
Alleybux
Hello All,

I’m debating on returning back to community college for my Associates this upcoming fall. I initially started out full time directly after high school and obtained 30 credits but due to a toxic home environment I had to get a full time job and drop out. Fast forward to now I’m early-mid 30’s and I am SICK of the stressful hamster wheel of call centers and I know in order to create opportunities for myself I need to complete my degree. However I haven’t been in school in around 15 years so there’s a lot I have to catch up on. All I have left is my electives, science, and math which I am HORRIBLE in. I’m wondering if I should start a little slow since I’ve already failed a math class and take 1 math class per semester and then increase my workload once I’ve gotten math out of the way or should I take my science and electives first and then slow down and focus solely on math and that way once I’m done I’m completely done and can start applying to universities. My goal is to try and get out of school asap but with decent grades

SilverQueen

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
41,087 857 59
Alleybux
Good for you for returning!

I went back to finish my bachelor's at 31, so I can understand your concerns. My suggestion is to get those hard classes out of the way. You seem motivated and ready to get going, so use this momentum to get through those harder subjects right now.

Ilykeggs

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
88,659 3,272 684
Alleybux
Easier classes first to get in the swing of things since it's been a while since you have been in school. The adjustment period is hard especially if you are working.

Hoe Cakes

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
20,867 526 576
Alleybux
The key with math is to not take breaks and practice until you get IT. Take all your math requirements in succession to retain the information.

If it's your most difficult subject let that be your only class to start...

ImTheOne

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
30,483 1,061 139
Alleybux
Hello everyone,

Thank you for all the advice it is appreciated. After a lot of consideration I think I will start with one math class at a time. Instead of jumping into intermediate Algebra which is where I left off I’m going to sign up for a late semester prep class so I can refresh my memory and have a foundation. I’m thinking if I start now I can take one prep class this semester another prep class in the summer by this time next year I’ll have all my maths completed. I will be making an appointment with an advisor and start searching for an online tutor

SilverQueen

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
41,087 857 59
Alleybux
Hello everyone,

Thank you for all the advice it is appreciated. After a lot of consideration I think I will start with one math class at a time. Instead of jumping into intermediate Algebra which is where I left off I’m going to sign up for a late semester prep class so I can refresh my memory and have a foundation. I’m thinking if I start now I can take one prep class this semester another prep class in the summer by this time next year I’ll have all my maths completed. I will be making an appointment with an advisor and start searching for an online tutor

How's it going?

Shy Vy

Shy
Reaction score
Reactions
81,718 2,681 178
Alleybux
Hello everyone,

Definitely don't be afraid to ask around and get a good math tutor who suits your needs. Read reviews of their tutoring services by people they have tutored first though. Good luck! :clover

ImTheOne

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
30,483 1,061 139
Alleybux
How's it going?
Not that great I had to pull out because I cracked my laptop screen and couldn’t get it fixed. It’s in the process of getting fixed in preparation for the summer semester. It was a blessing in disguise though because I was a bit ambitious with my math class I think I will start over with prep math. It’s funny you should bump the thread because I was just about to make a new one lol