Quantcast

PLAYLIST: Clean Bandit Tell Us Their Favorite Whitney Houston Tracks...

Legendary

this my muhf--king natural...
Reaction score
Reactions
376,446 1,063 209
Alleybux
EXCLUSIVE
Music
PLAYLIST

"Clean Bandit Tell Us All About Their Favourite Whitney Houston Tracks"​

• Mark Gwinnett
  • 4 Nov 2021
Clean Bandit tell us all about their favourite Whitney Houston tracks
NOVEMBER marks 36 years since the release of Whitney Houston’s song How Will I Know, taken from her 1985 self-titled debut album.

Electronic pop outfit Clean Bandit are the first in a line of modern producers to step up and rework the late superstar’s music ahead of the movie about her life, which is coming to cinemas next year.

Clean Bandit tell us all about their favourite Whitney Houston tracks
090512-A_0082_R4-e1636050291959.jpg

The blend of Whitney’s unforgettable voice with the unique sonics from the UK’s chart-topping Clean Bandit takes the original to new heights and is out now on Columbia Records.

Clean Bandit have remained one of pop’s most essential and dynamic forces since the release of their 2014 Grammy-winning breakout single Rather Be, which featured Jess Glynne.

Classical and electronic elements are at the heart of the music.

Grace is a classically trained cellist, Jack a producer and multi-instrumentalist, and Luke is a drummer and remixer. Their methods of production and collaboration have seen them pioneers their very own pop blueprint.

We caught up with Clean Bandit this week and to mark the release of the reworking of How Will I Know, asked them to talk us through a selection of their favourite tracks from Whitney’s back catalogue.

You can listen and read what they had to say about the music they have selected below.

My Love Is Your Love

This is in my top 5 songs of all time by any artist. It is pure warmth. Love the reggae-influenced production. This song can make you smile and cry; a bittersweet, incredible track. With a supreme middle eight . (And an appearance from Wyclef on the decks in the video!)

It’s Not Right But It’s Ok

A bona fide anthem! Huge female empowerment vibes and a club banger! And Whitney looked like the ultimate beautiful badass in the video - wow. It totally encapsulates the feeling of being lied to. And I really appreciate it when she says “I’d rather be alone than unhappy” - I think too many people forget that!

I Wanna Dance With Somebody

I’m sure this will be the song many people think of when they think of Whitney, and I think it’s one of the best pop records of all time. The high note on “heat” in the chorus melody gets me every time!

I Will Always Love You

One of the biggest ballads of all time, written by the one and only Dolly Parton who I’m obsessed with too. Whitney was a master of this style of song, delivered with so much emotion and power. And another iconic video.

How Will I Know

An absolute classic. Whitney at her best and we’re so grateful to have been trusted to rework it. We got to explore it and get to know every element of it way more than we ever had before. And it was such a beautiful song to reimagine, we went wild with the violin and saxophone!

Last edited:

Legendary

Reaction score
Reactions
376,446 1,063 209
Alleybux
Greatest Love Of All

If any of Whitney’s songs really demonstrate her utterly outstanding voice… A very, very powerful cover.

I’m Your Baby Tonight

Just classic 80’s Whitney! Perfect.

Didn’t We Almost Have It All

Once again, the voice is just incredible. And remember that key change!?

So Emotional

This one perfectly conveys that naughty and kind of uncontrollable feeling you have for someone you shouldn’t be feeling for. I love it

Where Do Broken Hearts Go

This speaks to me a lot always and especially right now.

Whitney Houston, Clean Bandit - How Will I Know is out now.

Topics

@NoLies @The Standard @Jane Williams @Nippian @REDM1217 @Butterflyj82 @Witty_Houston @Liz Moisoigne @CriDionne @Lilac89 @NieceySaidIt @sade @Kahota @SaintTitus @mizzsparks @Mac10 @Cicely Tyson @Rhiannon @CestLaVie1 @araik @Fashionista9

Last edited:

Liz Gregory

Mrs. Reverend Doctor Reuben Gregory
Reaction score
Reactions
255,629 8,110 17,723
Alleybux
Do you see how effortlessly beautiful our New Jersey Queen looks in her I’m Your Baby Tonight (1990) video—among others?

How are you the greatest voice and gorgeous with a regal name?

1636507622990.jpeg

THE STANDARD

GTFO!
Reaction score
Reactions
263,440 7,006 6,888
Alleybux
The woman literally made music for every occasion and for everyone to enjoy. Her fanbase is very diverse but we all understood Whitney’s “language” and music!

mizzsparks

Best Thing You Never Had
Reaction score
Reactions
108,542 2,138 558
Alleybux
Hit after hit after hit after hit. Coincidentally, I just finished rewatching her 1991 live performance of SAMLFY. It’s just perfect! Once Nipp gets to around the 3:55 mark where she’s wagging that little finger and lifting up that leg, it is oh-vuh! We’re putty in her hands.

We’ll be making love the whole night through...” Whew. That head voice of hers was otherworldly.

Butterflyj82

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
441,610 29,012 1,300
Alleybux
Greatest Love Of All

If any of Whitney’s songs really demonstrate her utterly outstanding voice… A very, very powerful cover.

I’m Your Baby Tonight

Once again, the voice is just incredible. And remember that key change!?

So Emotional

This one perfectly conveys that naughty and kind of uncontrollable feeling you have for someone you shouldn’t be feeling for. I love it

This speaks to me a lot always and especially right now.

Whitney Houston, Clean Bandit - How Will I Know is out now.

Topics

@NoLies @The Standard @Jane Williams @Nippian @REDM1217 @Butterflyj82 @Witty_Houston @Liz Moisoigne @CriDionne @Lilac89 @NieceySaidIt @sade @Kahota @SaintTitus @mizzsparks @Mac10 @Cicely Tyson @Rhiannon @CestLaVie1 @araik @Fashionista9

@Legendary Thank You I am listing to the Greatest Love of All Now it's such a Beautiful Version I love it :)

Legendary

Reaction score
Reactions
376,446 1,063 209
Alleybux
The woman literally made music for every occasion and for everyone to enjoy. Her fanbase is very diverse but we all understood Whitney’s “language” and music!
She really did!!! It's also pretty cool that these younger acts are reimagining her music...that's the biggest compliment. That's not counting all the times aspiring singers have sang her songs or songs she made famous on TV talent shows around the world.

mamuh

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
19,828 299 67
Alleybux
I’m Your Baby Tonight

they had a nice collection but am i misunderstanding them here? what do they mean by 80's whitney? i'm your baby tonight came out at the start of the 90's... unless it was too early for them to really claim it was 90's whitney (in vibe)?

Legendary

Reaction score
Reactions
376,446 1,063 209
Alleybux
they had a nice collection but am i misunderstanding them here? what do they mean by 80's whitney? i'm your baby tonight came out at the start of the 90's... unless it was too early for them to really claim it was 90's whitney (in vibe)?
They are young and British so I will give them a pass on that lol! Technically, tho the song was conceived/recorded in 1989.

THE STANDARD

GTFO!
Reaction score
Reactions
263,440 7,006 6,888
Alleybux
Do you see how effortlessly beautiful our New Jersey Queen looks in her I’m Your Baby Tonight (1990) video—among others?

How are you the greatest voice and gorgeous with a regal name?

View attachment 3069850
whitney-houston-nippy.gif

@mamuh a lot of people make that mistake, not even realizing IYBT was technically, a 90’s Whitney album and it was the best selling R&B album of 1991.

Last edited:

Legendary

Reaction score
Reactions
376,446 1,063 209
Alleybux
So many great songs to choose from.
Indeed but they picked 10 gems for sure:
My Love Is Your Love
It’s Not Right But It’s Ok
I Wanna Dance With Somebody
I Will Always Love You
How Will I Know
Greatest Love Of All
I’m Your Baby Tonight
So Emotional

sade

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
144,657 7,683 10,557
Alleybux
Funny cause I’m really into Whitney older more R&B releases as time passes. I really enjoy her last 3 albums

Legendary

Reaction score
Reactions
376,446 1,063 209
Alleybux
Funny cause I’m really into Whitney older more R&B releases as time passes. I really enjoy her last 3 albums
You mean late 90s and onward Whitney (ie the more newer material)? You know she really had stages/phases and I can't quite pick a time frame BUT her later years have many jewels that the masses for sure don't know about. It's like that with most artists though, especially after they pass on, people latch on to a certain/prime time frame to favor. It seems that's what Clean Bandit here did as well.

dontryit

You Are Trash
Reaction score
Reactions
3,448 742 1,469
Alleybux
You mean late 90s and onward Whitney (ie the more newer material)? You know she really had stages/phases and I can't quite pick a time frame BUT her later years have many jewels that the masses for sure don't know about. It's like that with most artists though, especially after they pass on, people latch on to a certain/prime time frame to favor. It seems that's what Clean Bandit here did as well.

This is really true. I've found her various stages of crack and other later drug abuse really affected her sound and style on albums. Her voice developed with her drug addiction and it's very interesting to piece it all together. She was such an inspiration.

THE STANDARD

GTFO!
Reaction score
Reactions
263,440 7,006 6,888
Alleybux
We obviously have banned/ reincarnated troll in our midst, just a matter of time before mods figure things out and ban them yet again.
I agree with @sade and you, I can never pick my favorite Whitney era because all of them were poignant in her story/ music.I think this 2021 remix is good for what it is, just a nice bop for the kids.

Last edited:

dontryit

You Are Trash
Reaction score
Reactions
3,448 742 1,469
Alleybux
Hit after hit after hit after hit. Coincidentally, I just finished rewatching her 1991 live performance of SAMLFY. It’s just perfect! Once Nipp gets to around the 3:55 mark where she’s wagging that little finger and lifting up that leg, it is oh-vuh! We’re putty in her hands.

We’ll be making love the whole night through...” Whew. That head voice of hers was otherworldly.

I see and love this, but I raise you this:

This will always be my favorite performance of this song: Just effortless and perfect. It's one of many reasons I don't understand why anyone puts Mariah or Celine in the same category as Whitney. She is in a class by herself and her voice can't be compared to anyone. The only thing I will admit is that they have/had better catalogs of songs and could keep up better with the times. But classic Whitney will never ever be topped.

sade

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
144,657 7,683 10,557
Alleybux
I see and love this, but I raise you this:

This will always be my favorite performance of this song: Just effortless and perfect. It's one of many reasons I don't understand why anyone puts Mariah or Celine in the same category as Whitney. She is in a class by herself and her voice can't be compared to anyone. The only thing I will admit is that they have/had better catalogs of songs and could keep up better with the times. But classic Whitney will never ever be topped.

Mariah & Whitney catalogues are debatable to some but no way in hell does Celine have a BETTER catalogue then Whitney Houston lol

dontryit

You Are Trash
Reaction score
Reactions
3,448 742 1,469
Alleybux
Mariah & Whitney catalogues are debatable to some but no way in hell does Celine have a BETTER catalogue then Whitney Houston lol

Nope I disagree. Whitney is known for having specific big hits, but not for her albums as a whole in the same way Mariah and even Celine are. Mariah definitely has more notable albums so to me that is not debatable at all, and I would say Celine's catalog overall is a little stronger than Whitney's. I never thought Whitney was working with the right people overall to make good albums. Individual songs yes, but not good albums with the obvious exception of The Bodyguard and maybe a couple others.

Legendary

Reaction score
Reactions
376,446 1,063 209
Alleybux
Agreed but frankly I still can't get into Mariah or Celine's albums...they put me to sleep (yet instead of saying that over & over, I just focus on what I DO LIKE instead). However, it is funny that Whitney and Celine have Grammy wins in major categories and 'Miss I Write the Songs' doesn't.

BTW, BACK TO THE TOPIC (before I start reporting people for derailing) it's cool Clean Bandit did this list, I see they picked 2 of Whitney's songs that appeared on Rolling Stone's 500 Best Songs of All Time...
The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time

The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time

...I'll take the Grammys, Rolling Stone and people/entities like that over reincarnated troll opinions.

Last edited:

anonimuswan

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
40,903 1,617 1,440
Alleybux
However, it is funny that Whitney and Celine have Grammy wins in major categories and 'Miss I Write the Songs' doesn't.
Exactly. Her fans love mentioning that she writes her songs to discredit Whitney. Meanwhile, Whitney has an AOTY Grammy and a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction and Mariah doesn't.

Mariah's catalog is grossly overrated on LSA. I used to be a stan of hers so I know her catalog well. A lot of Mariah's catalog is very childish with shallow lyrics. At least Whitney made mature, age appropriate music and didn't dumb down her lyrics in order to keep up with the younger generation. Whitney stayed true to herself and that's why the music industry and I will always respect her more than Mariah.

Legendary

Reaction score
Reactions
376,446 1,063 209
Alleybux
Exactly. Her fans love mentioning that she writes her songs to discredit Whitney. Meanwhile, Whitney has an AOTY Grammy and a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction and Mariah doesn't.

Mariah's catalog is grossly overrated on LSA. I used to be a stan of hers so I know her catalog well. A lot of Mariah's catalog is very childish with shallow lyrics. At least Whitney made mature, age appropriate music and didn't dumb down her lyrics in order to keep up with the younger generation. Whitney stayed true to herself and that's why the music industry and I will always respect her more than Mariah.
and R.O.T.Y. Thank you and they sadly have to bring her up in everything and that's USUALLY the only way they can get Whitney's fans and most other fans to even talk about them. Chick has a whole forum but a number of her fans stay up in there...even coming back reincarnated after they've been banned lmao. Anyhow, this is about celebrating Whitney's music, she is an artist that constantly finds her way back on the charts all year around here & abroad, her streaming numbers are super impressive... and Clean Bandit is one of several acts that have reimagined her music out of tons of artists they could've picked. Whitney's recording musical journey started over 40 years ago AND people are still passionate about this woman, so at this point she doesn't need miserable LSA or troll approvals lol.

Last edited:

dontryit

You Are Trash
Reaction score
Reactions
3,448 742 1,469
Alleybux
Wow some of you are very clearly intimidated by Mariah and Celine even after one side note comment and continue talking about them. Here's a hint: If you get that pressed and defensive over other singers that have nothing to do with the topic then clearly you really don't think Whitney is as good as you claim she is. You're even worse than those delusional lambs.

THE STANDARD

GTFO!
Reaction score
Reactions
263,440 7,006 6,888
Alleybux
@mizzsparks @Legendary
Whitney didn’t only have The superior voice, she had the most accolades, 3 diamonds albums—more than any other vocalist, is in the Rock and Roll HOF and numerous other HOF(more than any other female artist) and has multiple classic albums. She was a legend by the mid 90’s. Whitney was far more respected musically in the industry than certain singers being mentioned here. I love Celine’s personality but She doesn’t have one dance song that could match dance with somebody or how will I know or even I’m your baby tonight. Not 1 R&B classic that matches Saving all my love for you but let some troll tell it, she has a better catalog. Even Mariah, her albums rarely outranks Whitney on greatest albums lists. I’ll take Whitney’s VOICE and Music above all. …
It’s sad that this troll, has created yet another account to troll a dead woman who’s been dead for almost 10 years. Talk about being pathetic…..

dontryit

You Are Trash
Reaction score
Reactions
3,448 742 1,469
Alleybux
And the same pressed stans are still talking about Mariah who has nothing to do with this thread. How insecure and pathetic can someone get? Some people just can't let Whitney rest in peace and have to drag others who are still alive just to prop her corpse up. Who even cares about Mariah or Celine? Again why are some people so concerned about them? Are you jealous because they're still alive? Are you jealous that Mariah wrote her own songs and produced her own records and Whitney almost never did? Are you mad Celine doesn't have a drug problem? What is the matter with you all? Triggered as hell and the insecurity you show is just sad. You clearly wanted the smoke with the other divas instead of letting this be about Whitney's music.

THE STANDARD

GTFO!
Reaction score
Reactions
263,440 7,006 6,888
Alleybux
And the same pressed stans are still talking about Mariah who has nothing to do with this thread. How insecure and pathetic can someone get? Some people just can't let Whitney rest in peace and have to drag others who are still alive just to prop her corpse up. Who even cares about Mariah or Celine? Again why are some people so concerned about them? Are you jealous because they're still alive? Are you jealous that Mariah wrote her own songs and produced her own records and Whitney almost never did? Are you mad Celine doesn't have a drug problem? What is the matter with you all? Triggered as hell and the insecurity you show is just sad. You clearly wanted the smoke with the other divas instead of letting this be about Whitney's music.
Not a damn soul here mentioned any of those women until you did. You’re moving the goal post when you brought them up in the first damn place! Hebyhooray, you’re quite transparent. You’ve trolled this forum so many times, all it takes is 2 comments to recognize your sh!t @The Admin this is a banned font. Mariah and Celine still couldn’t shine Whitney’s shoes and as a BLACK woman, she STILL accomplished more in entertainment than they could even dream of. You talking about letting her Rest In Peace when all you’ve done is troll, post nasty pictures and derail threads..Grow the hell up lamb in disguise.

Last edited:

PiscesMoonGirl

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
29,612 714 229
Alleybux
She really did!!! It's also pretty cool that these younger acts are reimagining her music...that's the biggest compliment. That's not counting all the times aspiring singers have sang her songs or songs she made famous on TV talent shows around the world.

"aspiring singers have sang her songs or songs she made famous" ...and then had to fall or walk themselves off that ledge they sang themselves out onto? :cool::cool::cool::cool: I'm sorry but let's get real; imitating -- or trying to imitate -- Whitney's vocals is the musical equivalent of saying "I can beat Mike Tyson" :beatup:beatup:sneaky::sneaky:

(Sorry, no true mischief meant; I'm just in a snarky mood; please don't schmack me...:laughing::laughing::laughing:)

dontryit

You Are Trash
Reaction score
Reactions
3,448 742 1,469
Alleybux
"aspiring singers have sang her songs or songs she made famous" ...and then had to fall or walk themselves off that ledge they sang themselves out onto? :cool::cool::cool::cool: I'm sorry but let's get real; imitating -- or trying to imitate -- Whitney's vocals is the musical equivalent of saying "I can beat Mike Tyson" :beatup:beatup:sneaky::sneaky:

(Sorry, no true mischief meant; I'm just in a snarky mood; please don't schmack me...:laughing::laughing::laughing:)

Leona Lewis's "I Have Nothing" performance on X-Factor is just as good as Whitney's. In fact I actually prefer her rendition to Whitney's:

Now let me be clear, this is probably the only time I have ever preferred a cover to Whitney's original for any of her songs. But Leona just delivers here and she really captures the meaning of the song.

Also I have to say that Whitney's songs are not technically that difficult. They are challenging but they are not impossible to sing. It is the same with Celine. Mariah's songs are technically much more difficult than Whitney's and Celine's which is why they are very difficult to cover properly and most people don't try to. Half the time Mariah couldn't even sing her own sh!t like she did on the albums, and that was back in her prime! Whitney was always the better live performer/singer of the trifecta.

Last edited:

PiscesMoonGirl

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
29,612 714 229
Alleybux
Leona Lewis's "I Have Nothing" performance on X-Factor is just as good as Whitney's. In fact I actually prefer her rendition to Whitney's:

Now let me be clear, this is probably the only time I have ever preferred a cover to Whitney's original for any of her songs. But Leona just delivers here and she really captures the meaning of the song.

Also I have to say that Whitney's songs are not technically difficult. They are challenging but they are not impossible to sing. It is the same with Celine. Mariah's songs are technically much more difficult than Whitney's and Celine's which is why they are very difficult to cover properly and most people don't try to. Half the time Mariah couldn't even sing her own sh!t like she did on the albums, and that was back in her prime! Whitney was always the better live performer/singer of the trifecta.

I've never liked Leona Lewis but whatever floats your boat!

I'll be honest: I love Mariah but her arrangement frequently massascres a song, which is why she winds up rearranging them live. Whereas with other artists they rearrange things live to get new meaning out of the song. Whitney had a - it takes David Foster to explain it. He said she had "money notes" for days. She'd just sit dead center on that note, no vibrato, and then bring in the melisma. And people, well R&B singers it seems, rarely do that anymore. Everybody's trying to bend the note to death, lol. My friend says we live in the era of sheep, because they all sound like sheep.

That midrange is hard for people - including Mariah (she implied that herself) - to tackle.

I gotta go to bed and I'm too tired to go through all the nuances. My best (more or less neutral) example is Seal. He's not really an R&B singer (thank God, to a certain extent, because that means no sheep singing; he did do multiple covers of R&B songs but a lot of the time, for me, they just didn't work for him. I mostly prefer his original material). He has a sort of pop-rock-blues voice, with a gorgeous tone and texture that wrings emotion out of a song even though he sings it straight. He took a medieval sound (Kiss From a Rose) and made it soulful. Now that's just genius (and the kind of creative curveball I LOVE).

Anyway I gotta go to bed.

dontryit

You Are Trash
Reaction score
Reactions
3,448 742 1,469
Alleybux
I've never liked Leona Lewis but whatever floats your boat!

I'll be honest: I love Mariah but her arrangement frequently massascres a song, which is why she winds up rearranging them live. Whereas with other artists they rearrange things live to get new meaning out of the song. Whitney had a - it takes David Foster to explain it. He said she had "money notes" for days. She'd just sit dead center on that note, no vibrato, and then bring in the melisma. And people, well R&B singers it seems, rarely do that anymore. Everybody's trying to bend the note to death, lol. My friend says we live in the era of sheep, because they all sound like sheep.

That midrange is hard for people - including Mariah (she implied that herself) - to tackle.

I gotta go to bed and I'm too tired to go through all the nuances. My best (more or less neutral) example is Seal. He's not really an R&B singer (thank God, to a certain extent, because that means no sheep singing; he did do multiple covers of R&B songs but a lot of the time, for me, they just didn't work for him. I mostly prefer his original material). He has a sort of pop-rock-blues voice, with a gorgeous tone and texture that wrings emotion out of a song even though he sings it straight. He took a medieval sound (Kiss From a Rose) and made it soulful. Now that's just genius (and the kind of creative curveball I LOVE).

Anyway I gotta go to bed.

You told no lies here babe. Mariah is pretty much a studio artist and it shows. She does things in the studio she really can't reproduce live, at least not consistently. And I never "liked" Mariah either, but at the end of the day talent is talent so I have to give the props that are due. Also thanks for your respectful and on-topic response and actually moving the discussion along. It's honestly really nice to see in this forum!

THE STANDARD

GTFO!
Reaction score
Reactions
263,440 7,006 6,888
Alleybux

Whitney was a masterful interpreter of song, definitely the best vocalist since Aretha Franklin. That’s why her live performances often exceeded the record. Her imitators could never sing her songs better than her. Even the 90’s singers she’s often mentioned with, looked up to her and admired her. You have to wonder why some fans of others get so pressed and devote so much time to trolling and disrespecting her but it’s clearly insecurities cuz they know their faves could never outdo/ ousting Whitney in her prime.