Quantcast

Police officer never thought his braided hair would interfere with his ability to do his job

LonghornVicky

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
627,300 21,616 2,085
Alleybux
a6d2d01f-43b7-48ad-b83c-8684eb660911_1920x1080.jpg

DALLAS — Dakari Davis, an officer with the DART Police Department says he was told his cornrow, braided hairstyle was unprofessional by one of his superiors.
"You guys know my character, you know my heart," Davis said describing his relationship with his colleagues. "I felt that they shouldn’t judge me based on my appearance."

His dream was to protect and serve but it was a dream eventually put on hold.
"To say that a Black police officer who wears cornrows is unprofessional, what does that say about you and the way you view black people that wear cornrows?" Davis asked. "The conversation is needed, but to have those conversations we have to admit that we have a problem."
That problem for Davis started six years after he joined the law enforcement community, while he was working as a DART police officer in 2019.
"Initially I was upset, confused."
Davis says he never thought his appearance, specifically the way he wears his hair in the braided hairstyle below would interfere with his ability to do his job.

There was a particular Lieutenant who disagreed with that and he felt that it was unprofessional for male police officers to wear cornrows and contacted the Chief of Police and eventually filed a formal complaint against my hairstyle," Davis said.
DART won’t comment directly on this personnel matter, but documents obtained by show Davis was ordered not to wear the hairstyle while in full uniform in July 2019.

Months later, Davis wore the hairstyle again during a DART police officer awards ceremony.
His actions sparked an internal affairs investigation in November 2019. The findings of the report referred to his “braided or cornrows hairstyle” as “unprofessional” and “unapproved”.
"I actually decided to cut my hair out of fear of retaliation, I said, 'you know what, I have a son, I need to provide for them, I’m just going to cut my hair,'" Davis said.

Now DART is taking another look at some of the same dress code policies that led to this entire ordeal.
"We are currently under a complete review of our appearance policy and as you can imagine, times change, people have different desires," said Gordon Shattles, DART Director of External Relations. "We understand that you want to be able to work your job, also you want to be able to present a bit of yourself and to present yourself in a particular way."
Even as those changes are being discussed, Davis says it’s important to recognize the underlying bias regarding hair in the workplace.
"If you know me and I wear this uniform and stand right beside you and you view me in that manner, what does that say about you and how you view someone who doesn’t wear this uniform?" Davis asked

30aee99e-ab45-4f9f-9632-e3283b9d722c_1920x1080.jpg

Cinnahs

Black and Beautiful
Reaction score
Reactions
239,420 4,931 1,464
Alleybux
It's racial discrimination plain and simple. There is nothing inherently unprofessional about traditional black hairstyles. How are white men with long hair treated in the profession? We need federal anti-discrimination laws for black people's hairstyles.

BestFwends

Rent free. Nuke Islamic states & ban Islam.
Reaction score
Reactions
16,548 1,198 2,154
Alleybux
A man needs long hair for nothing. Shave it off. You have to conform to dresscodes at work. Deal with it.
Sidenote-Is he mixed? Is that why he doesn't want to cut his hair? Most BM I know would have no problem cutting their hair for work.

Ren80

Burn the cape and scatter the ashes.
Reaction score
Reactions
39,461 1,093 718
Alleybux
I would love to show empathy to Black men’s plight with natural hair but that ship has fµck!ng sailed. They have spent literal decades proclaiming to the world their distaste for Black women’s natural hair, so fµck them.

Please remember that Black males spent 2003-2017 making memes like this before you begin feeling sorry for this man. They still feel the same fµck!ng way, they just know it’s more taboo to express it.
2BD85875-26FE-472D-8208-108357FF6CF6.png

I will reserve all my anger for Black women and girls that face natural hair discrimination. This man can lose his job, I don’t give a fµck.

Sojourner Truth

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
251,706 6,262 4,396
Alleybux
Wasn’t there just a thread on here where folks were saying Black folks (really BW) don’t face discrimination for wearing their hair natural anymore?