Quantcast

Pre-Med Thread

primebtchery

"Every breath you draw in my presence annoys me."
Reaction score
Reactions
33,084 1,592 381
Alleybux
I just wanted a place for pre-meds/pre-pharmacy/pre-dental students to talk and give advice. For example: shadowing, volunteering, grades, MCAT, PCAT, DAT, extracurricular, interview tips, advice on getting into certain schools, and just plain ol' chit-chat.

The people on SDN suck and I like LSA better so I hope this can be nice.

primebtchery

Reaction score
Reactions
33,084 1,592 381
Alleybux
I guess I'll be the first person to reply lol.

So is anyone self studying for the MCAT? I'm going to be self studying, and I'm going to use these Kaplan books. Also, does anyone know a good year to take the MCAT? I'm thinking junior/3rd year maybe.
kap.jpg

Jared Boo

Your fav racist 47 year old upperclass white woman
Reaction score
Reactions
84,120 8,670 7,146
Alleybux
Hey ya'll congrats on your med journey! MFT student here advice for future therapists in grad school would be cool too.

I am trying to end up in group private practice what are some good tips?

Angela Raine

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
185,264 7,238 3,174
Alleybux
Does anyone mind sharing GPA and what schools they're interested in? This past semester, I got a 3.9, but my science GPA is sitting at a 3.0 and my cGPA is about a 3.4. I got a couple of Cs in chem 1 & 2 (I hate chemistry). If I posted this on SDN, they'd tell me to give up already, but grades aren't completely everything. I think they (and I do too sometimes) forget that applicants are looked at holistically. I've known people with 4.0s who get passed up while they're had people with 2.8s get it.

Does anyone have study tips for Ochem? I'm taking it next semester and need A's to boost my GPA.

And I'm looking at NYU, UofT, some schools near my hometown, and California.

primebtchery

Reaction score
Reactions
33,084 1,592 381
Alleybux
Thanks OP!

I am currently retaking biology after 20 years and whew...
I feel it. I got most of the way through bio in the spring 2020 semester, but honestly I was just off my game and too distracted and I was not doing well :unsure: so I dropped it and I'm retaking it fall 2020.

primebtchery

Reaction score
Reactions
33,084 1,592 381
Alleybux
Does anyone mind sharing GPA and what schools they're interested in? This past semester, I got a 3.9, but my science GPA is sitting at a 3.0 and my cGPA is about a 3.4. I got a couple of Cs in chem 1 & 2 (I hate chemistry). If I posted this on SDN, they'd tell me to give up already, but grades aren't completely everything. I think they (and I do too sometimes) forget that applicants are looked at holistically. I've known people with 4.0s who get passed up while they're had people with 2.8s get it.

Does anyone have study tips for Ochem? I'm taking it next semester and need A's to boost my GPA.

Anytime I get a lack-luster grade (I got a C in an extracurricular last semester that brought my GPA to a 3.1 :notworthy:) I comfort myself by reminding myself to make sure I slaughter the MCAT.

primebtchery

Reaction score
Reactions
33,084 1,592 381
Alleybux
For those of you who are pre-med, what specialty are you considering?
I’m making a list for my particular interests. So far I’m considering dermatology, orthopedic surgery, and general surgery.

honeyquinn

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
5,487 18 7
Alleybux
I’m making a list for my particular interests. So far I’m considering dermatology, orthopedic surgery, and general surgery.
I am considering OBGYN, or regular gyncology, and pediatrics.

honeyquinn

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
5,487 18 7
Alleybux
I guess I'll be the first person to reply lol.

So is anyone self studying for the MCAT? I'm going to be self studying, and I'm going to use these Kaplan books. Also, does anyone know a good year to take the MCAT? I'm thinking junior/3rd year maybe.
View attachment 1700764

I am in a MCAT preparation program at the moment. I have access to Kaplan , Ihuman, and professors at my college. We also have access to MCAT online books as well (this is because of COVID) we are also getting help with our portfolios , and resumes. I DESPISE chemistry as well. Every time I am in class my mind drifts. I am a rising Junior. I will be taking the MCATS in a year since I haven't taken Physics and Biochemistry yet. I definitely need help regarding chemistry. I have been told that Junior year is ideal.

primebtchery

Reaction score
Reactions
33,084 1,592 381
Alleybux
I am considering OBGYN, or regular gyncology, and pediatrics.
I really considered OBGYN but my mom advised me otherwise because she said they face a lot of lawsuits. Same reason I also considered anesthesiology and then changed my mind.

primebtchery

Reaction score
Reactions
33,084 1,592 381
Alleybux
I am in a MCAT preparation program at the moment. I have access to Kaplan , Ihuman, and professors at my college. We also have access to MCAT online books as well (this is because of COVID) we are also getting help with our portfolios , and resumes. I DESPISE chemistry as well. Every time I am in class my mind drifts. I am a rising Junior. I will be taking the MCATS in a year since I haven't taken Physics and Biochemistry yet. I definitely need help regarding chemistry. I have been told that Junior year is ideal.
Wow so do you like the program? I was advised not to do a program.

Chonne

Here for the comments
Reaction score
Reactions
61,602 871 33
Alleybux

My organic chem tutor is GOAT for videos saved my GPA made a B in chem.

honeyquinn

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
5,487 18 7
Alleybux
I really considered OBGYN but my mom advised me otherwise because she said they face a lot of lawsuits. Same reason I also considered anesthesiology and then changed my mind.
Well I choose to believe that those people who get a lot of lawsuits were not doing what they should be doing.

Chonne

Here for the comments
Reaction score
Reactions
61,602 871 33
Alleybux
These channels are great and help break down the concepts especially chem and physics topics

Chonne

Here for the comments
Reaction score
Reactions
61,602 871 33
Alleybux

You still could be competitive , have you thought of maybe a postbacc, how's volunteering, shadowing, and other extracellulars? When are you planning to take the MCAT?

Angela Raine

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
185,264 7,238 3,174
Alleybux
Forensics for me. I considered trauma surgery as well, but I'm not sure about that. I hear trauma surgeons have the highest suicide rate out of all specialties. Not sure if true, but I don't want to risk my mental health.

Angela Raine

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
185,264 7,238 3,174
Alleybux
You still could be competitive , have you thought of maybe a postbacc, how's volunteering, shadowing, and other extracellulars? When are you planning to take the MCAT?
Yea, I will probably do postbacc. Or this mini masters program at my university that prepares pre-med and pre-dents for med/dental school. My extracurriculars and volunteer hours are great (not to sound conceited), but I did AmeriCorps for a while, so I earned about 450 hours in volunteer work. I am still choosing between dental and medical, but I've got shadowing hours for dental school. If I go through with med school, I need to find some doctors to shadow. I'd prefer shadowing in the OR or ER, but I don't know if that's even possible

Chonne

Here for the comments
Reaction score
Reactions
61,602 871 33
Alleybux
Forensics for me. I considered trauma surgery as well, but I'm not sure about that. I hear trauma surgeons have the highest suicide rate out of all specialties. Not sure if true, but I don't want to risk my mental health.
Have you shadowed one? Trauma was one of my options when I was a freshmen until I shadowed one and I knew I wasn't about that life. I'm looking into gastroenterology

Last edited:

Angela Raine

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
185,264 7,238 3,174
Alleybux
Have you shadowed one? Trauma was one of my option when I was a freshmen until I shadowed on and I knew I wasn't about that life. I'm looking into gastroenterology
Nope. How would I go about that? With the corona, I'll probably put off of hospitals until things get less hectic, but do I just walk in the hospital or call ahead of time to ask? It was easier for dentists because of their private practices and I could just send emails.

Chonne

Here for the comments
Reaction score
Reactions
61,602 871 33
Alleybux
Yea, I will probably do postbacc. Or this mini masters program at my university that prepares pre-med and pre-dents for med/dental school. My extracurriculars and volunteer hours are great (not to sound conceited), but I did AmeriCorps for a while, so I earned about 450 hours in volunteer work. I am still choosing between dental and medical, but I've got shadowing hours for dental school. If I go through with med school, I need to find some doctors to shadow. I'd prefer shadowing in the OR or ER, but I don't know if that's even possible
You extras look great! With Covid It will be harder but if your looking in a mini masters ( I currently in one btw 3 semester and really increased my sci gpa) you can do the shadowing while in the program. Killing it in a mini masters will make you app look better.

Chonne

Here for the comments
Reaction score
Reactions
61,602 871 33
Alleybux
Nope. How would I go about that? With the corona, I'll probably put off of hospitals until things get less hectic, but do I just walk in the hospital or call ahead of time to ask? It was easier for dentists because of their private practices and I could just send emails.
With my schools premed we could just ask them to set up shadowing since my school has a teaching hospital, but most people call the hospital volunteering department and ask if they offer shadowing.

90sfine

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
11,850 466 148
Alleybux
I was in medical school and unenrolled. The best advice I can give to you all is to make sure this is what you want to do. Don’t just shadow, but do a program that will show you what it is really like to be a physician. Do a program for inpatient and also shadow someone that’s outpatient. I liked the idea of being a physician, but I did not like the reality.

I didn’t get a realistic view until I did my rotations. I hated inpatient, I hated the hours, and there were some residents and Attendings that were bitter. They didn’t match into the specialty or location they wanted. It’s easy to tell who hates his or her job because they take it out on students. Luckily, I didn’t work directly with most of the bitter ones. I noticed they take their bitterness out on males more.

I only had one attending be a jerk to me one time, but I hated seeing some of my classmates constantly be belittled and berated. I had 2 classmates humiliated in front of everyone to the point where one cried and one almost cried. One of them was humiliated by an attending who also was dean. The other was humiliated by a resident that was displacing her anger on to him, because she had just been chewed out by the attending.
I didn’t like the hours, because I have a child. There were days where I did not see him. I had night call after class, or I had day call and was there from 6 am until whenever the resident lets you go. Which could be any where from 5-8. It depends on the chief resident and the attending in that rotation. Some are chill and let you leave sooner, others make you stay later. I’m family oriented. I did not like going days without seeing my son. He still lived with me, but I would leave before he would be up, and I’d get home after he was in bed. If I was able to leave around 5, that time was spent studying. So there still wasn’t much time spent with my son.
Outpatient was better to me, but I still couldn’t see myself doing that for too long. It gets boring fast. It wasn’t worth continuing school and going through residency.
You sacrifice time and sometimes relationships. Many people break up. I had 2 classmates divorce. Not being able to spend time with your partner can take a toll on them. You will see your classmates way more than you will see your family and friends. This is why it’s common for classmates to hook up. Don’t be surprised when folks start cheating with classmates and ultimately dating them.
If you can be diligent and are willing to sacrifice time with family and friends, or sacrifice your free time, then you will be fine. It’s not the material that is hard. If you are diligent with your studies you will have no issue learning the material. The hard part is making sacrifices.

Stormy Weather

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,851 49 7
Alleybux
I took a break from studying and saw this thread. Im going to give it my all this time.

@90sfine you bring up a good point. The docs in my life said its the sacrifices that make it difficult and you can't really understand it until you are in it.

honeyquinn

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
5,487 18 7
Alleybux
I was in medical school and unenrolled. The best advice I can give to you all is to make sure this is what you want to do. Don’t just shadow, but do a program that will show you what it is really like to be a physician. Do a program for inpatient and also shadow someone that’s outpatient. I liked the idea of being a physician, but I did not like the reality.

I didn’t get a realistic view until I did my rotations. I hated inpatient, I hated the hours, and there were some residents and Attendings that were bitter. They didn’t match into the specialty or location they wanted. It’s easy to tell who hates his or her job because they take it out on students. Luckily, I didn’t work directly with most of the bitter ones. I noticed they take their bitterness out on males more.

I only had one attending be a jerk to me one time, but I hated seeing some of my classmates constantly be belittled and berated. I had 2 classmates humiliated in front of everyone to the point where one cried and one almost cried. One of them was humiliated by an attending who also was dean. The other was humiliated by a resident that was displacing her anger on to him, because she had just been chewed out by the attending.
I didn’t like the hours, because I have a child. There were days where I did not see him. I had night call after class, or I had day call and was there from 6 am until whenever the resident lets you go. Which could be any where from 5-8. It depends on the chief resident and the attending in that rotation. Some are chill and let you leave sooner, others make you stay later. I’m family oriented. I did not like going days without seeing my son. He still lived with me, but I would leave before he would be up, and I’d get home after he was in bed. If I was able to leave around 5, that time was spent studying. So there still wasn’t much time spent with my son.
Outpatient was better to me, but I still couldn’t see myself doing that for too long. It gets boring fast. It wasn’t worth continuing school and going through residency.
You sacrifice time and sometimes relationships. Many people break up. I had 2 classmates divorce. Not being able to spend time with your partner can take a toll on them. You will see your classmates way more than you will see your family and friends. This is why it’s common for classmates to hook up. Don’t be surprised when folks start cheating with classmates and ultimately dating them.
If you can be diligent and are willing to sacrifice time with family and friends, or sacrifice your free time, then you will be fine. It’s not the material that is hard. If you are diligent with your studies you will have no issue learning the material. The hard part is making sacrifices.
that sucks. I would have some decisions to make.

honeyquinn

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
5,487 18 7
Alleybux

that sucks. I would have some decisions to make.

Always Ready

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
30,757 664 141
Alleybux
My overall GPA is a 3.91 and Science GPA is 3.2. My schools of interest Yale, Maryland, Case Western Reserve, and a few others.

CaesarHasFallen

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
991 9 2
Alleybux
Hey all! 3rd year med student here. Don't have specific advice, but always feel free to inbox message me if you have questions or concerns.

News Alley

General Alley

Top Bottom