Quantcast

Prince directed engineer to "erase" the PAAM Show

Sweetheartbaby

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
8,638 1,016 921
Alleybux
he performed on the night Vanity died. He then told the Engineer (Scotty Baldwin) to put it into his trash bin.

Any ideas as to why?

This was all on the Dr Funkenberry's show last night where Scotty Baldwin was the guest.

anynameyouwish

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
13,820 666 389
Alleybux
It’s obvious why. It should have been obvious to Scottie as well at the time. I like Scottie mostly but his emotional blindness irritates me. He had money on his mind and was inconvenienced by P’s grumpiness at the time. Well, at least he admits what his mindset was. But duh dude.. the red flags for P’s personal crisis were staring him in the face. Nothing he could do but a bit more empathy would have been cool.

Sweetheartbaby

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
8,638 1,016 921
Alleybux
It’s obvious why. It should have been obvious to Scottie as well at the time. I like Scottie mostly but his emotional blindness irritates me. He had money on his mind and was inconvenienced by P’s grumpiness at the time. Well, at least he admits what his mindset was. But duh dude.. the red flags for P’s personal crisis were staring him in the face. Nothing he could do but a bit more empathy would have been cool.

Scotty thought about money, but moreso about his ego. And as with other of P's relationships, egos got in the way. He had no idea of knowing why P was moody.

But to my question, any idea why P would want the show erased?

anynameyouwish

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
13,820 666 389
Alleybux
Scotty thought about money, but moreso about his ego. And as with other of P's relationships, egos got in the way. He had no idea of knowing why P was moody.

He is thin, grumpy and more moody than usual. Something was seriously wrong. Instead of saying “dude you alright?”, he was like “dude, pay me 25 grand a show.”. Denise’s death caused prince to express his feelings more directly on stage. He wanted the recordings destroyed because his vulnerability was more than exposed.

Sweetheartbaby

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
8,638 1,016 921
Alleybux
He is thin, grumpy and more moody than usual. Something was seriously wrong. Instead of saying “dude you alright?”, he was like “dude, pay me 25 grand a show.”. Denise’s death caused prince to express his feelings more directly on stage. He wanted the recordings destroyed because his vulnerability was more than exposed.

That's what I was thinking, too. But we really don't know. I also thought maybe he didn't want AA to hear it since he talked a lot about Denise. lol. Or maybe he just felt the sound or show wasn't good enough.

Tgal73

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
57,774 949 227
Alleybux
That's what I was thinking, too. But we really don't know. I also thought maybe he didn't want AA to hear it since he talked a lot about Denise. lol. Or maybe he just felt the sound or show wasn't good enough.

Now we get to the real reason you posted this thread. Andy Allo. lol

Call me mom

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
15,514 451 434
Alleybux

tenor.gif

Laurarichardson

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
32,406 1,791 2,496
Alleybux
I cannot stand him for him to say Prince was in the best place he could be in the elevator it is not something that you would say about someone who you say I was a friend. I’m not even sure I would say that about someone you just knew casually. He has cold eyes I watched him as he was talking last night it was just something about him that was cold. I wish Prince had better people around him because I honestly think most of the people around him were around for the money and have some of the coldest attitudes I have ever seen when discussing a person who has died in a tragic manner.
Just psycho and self centered

anynameyouwish

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
13,820 666 389
Alleybux
I cannot stand him for him to say Prince was in the best place he could be in the elevator it is not something that you would say about someone who you say I was a friend. I’m not even sure I would say that about someone you just knew casually. He has cold eyes I watched him as he was talking last night it was just something about him that was cold. I wish Prince had better people around him because I honestly think most of the people around him were around for the money and have some of the coldest attitudes I have ever seen when discussing a person who has died in a tragic manner.
Scottie has some strange ways. Being around fame does weird things to people.

Smokeypurple

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
13,877 127 29
Alleybux
Scottie has some strange ways. Being around fame does weird things to people.
My guess is that not too many are interested in interviewing the sound guy at Miles Davis's shows. We've heard from Scottie many times, what are people expecting to hear from him? Other than describe his job, what else does he need to say?

Tgal73

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
57,774 949 227
Alleybux
Why is he just mentioning this now? It's been 5 years and he's done several other interview. Or has he? I don't follow him.

anynameyouwish

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
13,820 666 389
Alleybux
Just watched the Scottie interview. I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt here, and say its possible that Prince's stardom and the hype around his death and the relief that he now understood some of Prince's moodiness and the off and on nature of his association with Prince may have led Scottie into a state of detachment and disassociation as a coping mechanism when he died. Scottie and Prince both seem like the types who don't like to deal with difficult emotions and feel more comfortable using music as a conduit for feeling. The feelings are there. Scottie handing P a tissue but looking away after he was crying when he walked backstage between songs during the Gala PAAM show...I don't think Scottie was implying that P's emotions didn't matter. He just knew P would be uncomfortable discussing them or revealing them unless they were in the form of music. Think about it...Scottie remembered so many little things Prince told him. He is so specific and so willing to discuss his musical genius, his jokes, his little qualities. Others can barely remember specifics about Prince or his music. Prince consisted of multitudes and was so very complex that he exhausted folks. I think Scottie's coldness is self protective, but deep down I do think they were friends. Unfortunately, he thought bringing up money to Prince during a personal crisis would get Prince to treat him better. I would say that was really uncool.

Celebrity deaths are surreal. What is telling is that Scottie said he started mourning Prince three months later. Maybe, once the dust settled, the shock wore off, some of the questions were answered and the reality set in that the human being with his own individual idiosyncrasies along with the musical environment he created was now gone for real...not gone in a dramatic hollywoodized way but for real...it hit him then when he perused his memory and allowed himself to sit down and remember things about the man himself and not just the musician or boss or legend. Remember, the musician is alive and well in his work...the man sometimes gets lost in his fame or mythology. Prince wasn't just a man; he was a product, an entity, a star. The man gets hidden in plain sight behind the star sometimes. It can take time to peel away the layers of complexity...the machine around the star to remember the little things that made him a man.

As for his statement about Prince's death being meant to be...this reminded me of something I heard last night when I listened to Mike Scott's interview --- when he said that John Blackwell probably wouldn't have wanted to live anyhow because the brain tumor took away his ability to play drums. By the way, Mike Scott was very close to Blackwell and knew him longer than Prince..so he was devastated when he died. Maybe in Scottie's cold engineer style, he was saying the same about Prince. A musician who lives for music at the end had hearing problems that would eventually get worse (and I think he had to have had...all musicians eventually face this), physical ailments, aging et cetera) dies before his music is tainted in a truly noticeable way. Now, his legend is preserved. He is spared the downsides of aging and being forced into retirement or semi-retirement. the problem with that belief is that it implies that Prince's music was all he had..and that is a sad statement to make.

I still think Scottie is an arrogant man but I do think Prince might have wanted him to be that way because like Scottie said it lessened the burden on Prince to take care of him or boost his ego.

Smokeypurple

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
13,877 127 29
Alleybux
Just watched the Scottie interview. I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt here, and say its possible that Prince's stardom and the hype around his death and the relief that he now understood some of Prince's moodiness and the off and on nature of his association with Prince may have led Scottie into a state of detachment and disassociation as a coping mechanism when he died. Scottie and Prince both seem like the types who don't like to deal with difficult emotions and feel more comfortable using music as a conduit for feeling. The feelings are there. Scottie handing P a tissue but looking away after he was crying when he walked backstage between songs during the Gala PAAM show...I don't think Scottie was implying that P's emotions didn't matter. He just knew P would be uncomfortable discussing them or revealing them unless they were in the form of music. Think about it...Scottie remembered so many little things Prince told him. He is so specific and so willing to discuss his musical genius, his jokes, his little qualities. Others can barely remember specifics about Prince or his music. Prince consisted of multitudes and was so very complex that he exhausted folks. I think Scottie's coldness is self protective, but deep down I do think they were friends. Unfortunately, he thought bringing up money to Prince during a personal crisis would get Prince to treat him better. I would say that was really uncool.

Celebrity deaths are surreal. What is telling is that Scottie said he started mourning Prince three months later. Maybe, once the dust settled, the shock wore off, some of the questions were answered and the reality set in that the human being with his own individual idiosyncrasies along with the musical environment he created was now gone for real...not gone in a dramatic hollywoodized way but for real...it hit him then when he perused his memory and allowed himself to sit down and remember things about the man himself and not just the musician or boss or legend. Remember, the musician is alive and well in his work...the man sometimes gets lost in his fame or mythology. Prince wasn't just a man; he was a product, an entity, a star. The man gets hidden in plain sight behind the star sometimes. It can take time to peel away the layers of complexity...the machine around the star to remember the little things that made him a man.

As for his statement about Prince's death being meant to be...this reminded me of something I heard last night when I listened to Mike Scott's interview --- when he said that John Blackwell probably wouldn't have wanted to live anyhow because the brain tumor took away his ability to play drums. By the way, Mike Scott was very close to Blackwell and knew him longer than Prince..so he was devastated when he died. Maybe in Scottie's cold engineer style, he was saying the same about Prince. A musician who lives for music at the end had hearing problems that would eventually get worse (and I think he had to have had...all musicians eventually face this), physical ailments, aging et cetera) dies before his music is tainted in a truly noticeable way. Now, his legend is preserved. He is spared the downsides of aging and being forced into retirement or semi-retirement. the problem with that belief is that it implies that Prince's music was all he had..and that is a sad statement to make.

I still think Scottie is an arrogant man but I do think Prince might have wanted him to be that way because like Scottie said it lessened the burden on Prince to take care of him or boost his ego.
I was at Prince's final P&Ms after Scottie had long left, and I can tell you that his hearing was pitch perfect. As I asked before, who's checking for Miles' stage sound engineer?

anynameyouwish

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
13,820 666 389
Alleybux
I was at Prince's final P&Ms after Scottie had long left, and I can tell you that his hearing was pitch perfect. As I asked before, who's checking for Miles' stage sound engineer?

No one is checking for sound engineers. But Scottie is doing little podcasts. He is not going to get much work doing that. All the people around Prince can't be evil...what's that make him then? People are multifaceted and a mixture of good and bad. I will call Scottie out when I see fit. But he does not seem like a sentimental man...and sentiment is cheap and easy to throw around and not really feel.. He also doesn't choose to act like Prince was a saint or the devil. The day Prince died, Scottie wrote on his instagram or twitter page "Goodbye my friend." So he obviously felt at least a duty to send the man off while calling him a friend.

As for the hearing. I knew a choir teacher who sang beautifully and he was starting to experience hearing loss. It doesn't mean Prince didn't have perfect pitch...it probably just meant he had to turn things up a certain way to hear that mid range a bit better. Its not like he turned tone deaf.

Laurarichardson

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
32,406 1,791 2,496
Alleybux

Because he was sad and a lot of people said it was not a good show.
Who said it wasn't a good show? Everyone that was there or who has heard the show, praised it. It wasn't polished and perfect, but it was real and beautiful.
—I saw post right after that show where people complained that they did not pay to see sad Prince. I doubt he was at his best.

Laurarichardson

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
32,406 1,791 2,496
Alleybux

Who said it wasn't a good show? Everyone that was there or who has heard the show, praised it. It wasn't polished and perfect, but it was real and beautiful.
—I saw post right after that show where people complained that they did not pay to see sad Prince. I doubt he was at his best.
Why is he just mentioning this now? It's been 5 years and he's done several other interview. Or has he? I don't follow him.
The first interview he did with Mike Dean he was being a ass. The second one with Mike Hampton he tried to clean things up a bit. Now he is back to being an ass especially about money. He literally wanted a million dollars a show and when he was not going to get it he quit. You would think when someone dies you would let that sh!t go.

Smokeypurple

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
13,877 127 29
Alleybux
No one is checking for sound engineers. But Scottie is doing little podcasts. He is not going to get much work doing that. All the people around Prince can't be evil...what's that make him then? People are multifaceted and a mixture of good and bad. I will call Scottie out when I see fit. But he does not seem like a sentimental man...and sentiment is cheap and easy to throw around and not really feel.. He also doesn't choose to act like Prince was a saint or the devil. The day Prince died, Scottie wrote on his instagram or twitter page "Goodbye my friend." So he obviously felt at least a duty to send the man off while calling him a friend.

As for the hearing. I knew a choir teacher who sang beautifully and he was starting to experience hearing loss. It doesn't mean Prince didn't have perfect pitch...it probably just meant he had to turn things up a certain way to hear that mid range a bit better. Its not like he turned tone deaf.
But still not sure why Scottie's hearing should be better than Prince's. Prince was the same guy who told his sax player to play out of tune when recording the Glamorous Life. Just giving my 2 cents...

Laurarichardson

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
32,406 1,791 2,496
Alleybux

—- I do not think Scottie is evil but cold blooded. Maybe that industry makes people act like that no way should be still be going on about money.

anynameyouwish

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
13,820 666 389
Alleybux

The first interview he did with Mike Dean he was being a ass. The second one with Mike Hampton he tried to clean things up a bit. Now he is back to being an ass especially about money. He literally wanted a million dollars a show and when he was not going to get it he quit. You would think when someone dies you would let that sh!t go.

I never said he wasn't an ass. I am just saying that asshole or not, its easy to use false sentiment and not mean it for the purposes of self promotion. When people say weird things like Scottie is, its usually a coping mechanism. I would even reckon Tyka is doing the same with some of her weird sh!t she says.

Tgal73

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
57,774 949 227
Alleybux
Who was the font who said that Scottie was making fun of Prince not being able to hear,to her and a friend of hers at a show? I guess she was telling the truth.

anynameyouwish

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
13,820 666 389
Alleybux
Who was the font who said that Scottie was making fun of Prince not being able to hear,to her and a friend of hers at a show? I guess she was telling the truth.
I remember reading that. It went back all the way to 2004. Scottie is an arrogant jerk...but that doesn't mean he is always lying or didn't have some feelings for Prince. He did know him off and on for years.

Tgal73

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
57,774 949 227
Alleybux
I remember reading that. It went back all the way to 2004. Scottie is an arrogant jerk...but that doesn't mean he is always lying or didn't have some feelings for Prince. He did know him off and on for years.

I don't know when it occurred. The font posted that here, maybe a few years ago. She said he was talking sh!t about Prince not being able to hear. I'm sure Prince did have hearing loss. All musicians do. But, making fun of him for it, isn't cool.

anynameyouwish

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
13,820 666 389
Alleybux
I don't know when it occurred. The font posted that here, maybe a few years ago. She said he was talking sh!t about Prince not being able to hear. I'm sure Prince did have hearing loss. All musicians do. But, making fun of him for it, isn't cool.
I heard it was 2004 and he was hitting on the girl while doing it. So none of these folks are without their egos or faults. But Prince could be frustrating as well obviously especially if he thought the sound was crap due to hearing issues. That all being said, Scottie sometimes lacks a sense of humor. Prince's faux competition is sometimes taken a bit too seriously by him. Prince liked a bit of trash talking and banter...those who hung with him knew how to joke back. It was often harmless and funny. Morris Hayes understands that. Scottie, I sense, could geek out with Prince and talk about music but the banter wasn't his strong suit...although there are a few stories where he engaged in some with Prince; it didn't seem to be his strength unlike Morris Hayes or Ruth.

Last edited:

Smokeypurple

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
13,877 127 29
Alleybux
I heard it was 2004 and he was hitting on the girl while doing it. So none of these folks are without their egos or faults. But Prince could be frustrating as well obviously especially if he thought the sound was crap due to hearing issues. That all being said, Scottie sometimes lacks a sense of humor. Prince's faux competition is sometimes taken a bit too seriously by him. He liked a bit of trash talking and banter...those who hung with him knew how to joke back. Most of it was harmless and it was often funny. Morris Hayes understands that. Scottie, I sense, could geek out with Prince but because he was more competitive than he would care to admit about himself didnt know how to take a joke for real. There is certainly a self righteous element to that man.
I think he did fine without Scottie, at least at the shows I saw. And I saw Prince 5 times within the 12 months prior to his death.

anynameyouwish

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
13,820 666 389
Alleybux
I heard it was 2004 and he was hitting on the girl. So none of these folks are without their egos or faults. But Prince could be frustrating as well obviously. That all being said, Scottie sometimes lacks a sense of humor. Prince's faux competition is sometimes taken a bit too seriously. He liked a bit of trash talking and banter...those who hung with him knew how to joke back. Most of it was harmless and it was often funny. Morris Hayes understands that. Scottie, I sense, knew how to banter back but did so not because it was funny but because he was more competitive than he would care to admit about himself. There is certainly a self righteous element to that man.
I think he did fine without Scottie, at least at the shows I saw. And I saw Prince 5 times within the 12 months of his death.
Good point.

Tgal73

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
57,774 949 227
Alleybux
I heard it was 2004 and he was hitting on the girl while doing it. So none of these folks are without their egos or faults. But Prince could be frustrating as well obviously especially if he thought the sound was crap due to hearing issues. That all being said, Scottie sometimes lacks a sense of humor. Prince's faux competition is sometimes taken a bit too seriously by him. Prince liked a bit of trash talking and banter...those who hung with him knew how to joke back. It was often harmless and funny. Morris Hayes understands that. Scottie, I sense, could geek out with Prince and talk about music but the banter wasn't his strong suit...although there are a few stories where he engaged in some with Prince; it didn't seem to be his strength unlike Morris Hayes or Ruth.

Funny way of trying to pick up a girl. Hey, my boss can't hear sh!t. Lol

rosesrred92

Rookie
Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
487 3 1
Alleybux
a few years before Prince died he or someone on his fb page mentioned he suffered from vertigo. it causes lose of hearing, dizziness and many other symptoms that would cause a person to become irritable and moody. He also had problems with his hips and knees from years of dancing and performing. So having ear problems and other health issues, especially for someone like Prince, who loved music and to perform, it had to really devastating for him. Not to mentioned the other stuff that was to come.

Katprn

Forever In My Life
Reaction score
Reactions
579 3 2
Alleybux
a few years before Prince died he or someone on his fb page mentioned he suffered from vertigo. it causes lose of hearing, dizziness and many other symptoms that would cause a person to become irritable and moody. He also had problems with his hips and knees from years of dancing and performing. So having ear problems and other health issues, especially for someone like Prince, who loved music and to perform, it had to really devastating for him. Not to mentioned the other stuff that was to come.
Opioid use in high doses especially can and probably will cause hearing loss and can lead to deafness. My poor baby :pensive: I can relate - hearing loss as you get older even is a b!tch...

Sweetheartbaby

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
8,638 1,016 921
Alleybux

No, I tend to think anytime is correct - that it's just that simple as his vulnerability being exposed. When I think it could be because of Andy for some reason, that's just my jealousy. I am hoping it's not. Yeah, I know its odd for me to post photos of AA etc sometimes or give proof of certain things, but when I do so I really don't want it to be true. :)

Sweetheartbaby

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
8,638 1,016 921
Alleybux
Opioid use in high doses especially can and probably will cause hearing loss and can lead to deafness. My poor baby :pensive: I can relate - hearing loss as you get older even is a b!tch...

I get the feeling the vertigo-type thing was just temporary, or maybe as a part of his self-detox or not feeling well in general. But dizziness doesn't always have anything to do with hearing loss. Vertigo and dizziness are middle ear issues, not inner.

Sweetheartbaby

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
8,638 1,016 921
Alleybux

It's not the money really, it's Scotty's pride. His arrogance. He's so insecure he's STILL trying to put Prince beneath him.
Scotty constantly puts himself above everyone. Just listen to the way he talks. There's no humility. It's ridiculous!
What we don't get to hear is Prince's side of it, what a pain in the ass Scotty was to be around, how difficult it was to put up with someone who was excellent at what they did and familiar with how you worked, but SUCH a pain in the arse.
Prince was a lot older than Scotty and VERY experienced. Yet Scotty is always saying what he "showed" Prince, and making P sound like a clueless little child. Wendy, Sheila and some of the others do the same.