Quantcast

Prince Philip: A turbulent childhood stalked by exile, mental illness and death

Tenderoni3

The Very Best
Reaction score
Reactions
2,507 145 300
Alleybux
He had a hard life when he was young. He rose above it and made the most of it. He had a good life.
He had his faults and a lot of his comments can be seen as racist today. But I really don`t get that tha is all that people bring to the discussion. He was more than that.
But how can you have a discussion with others if you do not get their facts straight? How can I learn from others that way and believe what you say?
Philipp and Elizabeth were not literally cousins and he fought the nazis. He stood up for everything a part of his family stood for.
He didn`t even have full royal blood. He had common ancestors. That are just facts.
So what made you a yt person join LSA?

Missnova

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
6,910 154 101
Alleybux
Cliffs
- he was separated from his parents and 4 sisters at the age of 8
- never lived at home after that
- father was sent to exile after Greece lost war (born in Greece)

- in 1930 his mom had a nervous breakdown
- his mom Alice was deaf. She could lip read
- she was diagnosed as paranoid schizophrenia after breakdown
- she was sent away to hospital and Phillip and his sister live with aunt
- within 2 years of his mom being sent away his older sisters was married off and he was left alone since he was only 8

- lived with grandmother , uncle and aunt
- uncle set up him and princess Eli
-she was only 13 though and she fell in love but he was in the navy and 5 years older
-princess Elizabeth never wanted to marry anyone else , she wanted to marry her first crush , which was Phillip

-Phillip was happy to marry Princess Elizabeth cause it gave him the family he was looking for since age 8

- in 1967 he finally got reunited with his mom and had her live in Buckingham Palace with him and Elizabeth. She died two years later .

Poor rich white man who lived in luxury for almost a century, snif snif

Ilikecats

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
8,015 155 60
Alleybux
Poor rich white man who lived in luxury for almost a century, snif snif
So yeah apparently he does not die poor. Apparently he has left some money as his inheritance:

Prince Philip earned this from his former career in the navy and as a working member of the Royal Family, receiving a salary of around £400,000 a year from the Sovereign Grant.
Along with the Queen, he reportedly had money in a portfolio of stocks and an expensive art collection.

they’re alleging between £24m: Prince Philip will: The royals who could inherit his staggering £24million estate
and £10m: Prince Philip's £10m estate could be passed to Queen without tax under married couple exemption

I find it interesting what he collected: “The Duke had quite an extensive collection of paintings, of Aboriginal art and a sizeable collection of paintings by Edward Seago, who taught him to paint. He also had a collection of around 3,000 books, particularly about nature.

He might have made a will to distribute his wealth and maybe Harry is hoping for a late parting gift though they acknowledge that:
“The most efficient way is to pass it spouse to spouse. If he left his entire estate to the Queen there’d be no tax to pay on it.
It’s worth bearing in mind that the Queen has a very generous exemption whereby if she leaves everything to the next in line, Prince Charles also doesn’t have to pay inheritance tax.
If he was being tax efficient, Prince Philip would have left his entire estate to the Queen, with a view to her leaving it to Prince Charles, but it’s an interesting situation.”

Ilikecats

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
8,015 155 60
Alleybux
So yeah apparently he does not die poor. Apparently he has left some money as his inheritance:

Prince Philip earned this from his former career in the navy and as a working member of the Royal Family, receiving a salary of around £400,000 a year from the Sovereign Grant.
Along with the Queen, he reportedly had money in a portfolio of stocks and an expensive art collection.

they’re alleging between £24m: Prince Philip will: The royals who could inherit his staggering £24million estate
and £10m: Prince Philip's £10m estate could be passed to Queen without tax under married couple exemption

I find it interesting what he collected: “The Duke had quite an extensive collection of paintings, of Aboriginal art and a sizeable collection of paintings by Edward Seago, who taught him to paint. He also had a collection of around 3,000 books, particularly about nature.

He might have made a will to distribute his wealth and maybe Harry is hoping for a late parting gift though they acknowledge that:
“The most efficient way is to pass it spouse to spouse. If he left his entire estate to the Queen there’d be no tax to pay on it.
It’s worth bearing in mind that the Queen has a very generous exemption whereby if she leaves everything to the next in line, Prince Charles also doesn’t have to pay inheritance tax.
If he was being tax efficient, Prince Philip would have left his entire estate to the Queen, with a view to her leaving it to Prince Charles, but it’s an interesting situation.”
Interesting while searching for what aboriginal art PP collected I came about some more context of his famous gaffe where he asked if they still threw spears at each other. Here is the context:
He [Indigenous leader William Brim] said the incident happened at the park where people could experience Indigenous culture. The Queen and the Duke visited as part of their Royal tour.
“On the way in, they were greeted by our staff and also elders from the Buluwai, Yirraguy people and the Djabugay people. He [Prince Philip] noticed that there were different tribal groups there, so he asked my father if we still threw spears at our neighbours. (Prince Philip)
“So dad said: ‘Of course we do’, jokingly, then had a little laugh and said ‘No, we don’t.’ Him and the Duke had a little laugh together.

“Then that drove the media into a bit of frenzy, wanting to know what was going on, what was said and what made them laugh. My response was it was nothing, just two old fellas having a joke. When I got home the British media got on to me. That’s when I called the Duke a little naive for not really understanding our culture and what we have been through.

“Dad took it lightly but, my God, I just didn’t think he should have been saying things like that. I thought he should learn a little bit more about our culture.”

interestingly PP was not too far off with his question as:
individual ‘duelling’ with spears, boomerangs or fighting sticks and
collective ‘duelling’ (including specially structured encounters such as the makarrata or minungudawada) are both still recognized as aboriginal customary laws by the Australian Government. The police doesn’t even prosecute spearings if they happen in
tribal context and no complaint is made by the victim. (Aboriginal Customary Laws and the Notion of ‘Punishment’ | ALRC)

Soooo....what do you think about this???
It’s always portrayed as a racist/colonial remark. Do you think it was one or do you think it was part of a briefing he got on the tribe and was trying to make small talk?
I mean it seems like it’s accepted as part of tribal customs and history but not all tribes might still practice it...

so what do you think still racist or only foot in mouth?

passion4posh

Cococure
Reaction score
Reactions
80,341 2,793 1,197
Alleybux
When did he break bread with his Nazi in-laws or is this something you made up? The man was basically left parentless at the age of 8, sent to live with and Aunt and Uncle, then on to boarding school and from there to the Royal Navy where he fought in the war. Soon after he married the Queen, whose family had already ejected Edward VIII for being a Nazi Sympathizer, even though they used his marriage as a cover up. Since the marriage, the past 70 or so years has been highly documented and so at which point did he break with the Nazi's? His sisters were not even invited to his wedding.

They were third cousins which means that they were distantly related but it is not like he was always known to the family from Birth. It was not unusual back then and it is perfectly legal to do so today. It is not for me but I am not able to start acting obtuse. Queen Victoria had 10 kids and it was her intention to populate the thrones of Europe by getting them to marry the heirs to the throne.

I bet you wouldn't know who your 10th cousin was, let alone your 12th if you met him so stop.
You wrote that entire dissertation but forgot to include his mother Princesss Alice was born in Windsor Castle.Thats pretty close.

delicious11

Na me sabi!
Reaction score
Reactions
70,055 5,051 5,721
Alleybux
You wrote that entire dissertation but forgot to include his mother Princesss Alice was born in Windsor Castle.Thats pretty close.

Why would I need to add where she was born?? What is the relevance? She was just one of Queen Victoria's 87 Great Grandchildren.

Leo The Lion

Roaaaar!!
Reaction score
Reactions
171,153 5,126 2,375
Alleybux
More on this woman, please and thanks.
I don't know too much about her, but what I read on her Wikipedia Page, she is Cobina Wright Jr, if you want to read about her, her mother is Cobina Wright, Sr, I think she was an Opera Singer/ Socialite, and Jr was an Actress, I think her father was a Stock Broker.
download (56).jpeg

This is her

oumoub

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
24,519 986 348
Alleybux
Incorrect. He fought against the Nazis during the war.
His mother was honoured for helping Jews in world war II
His sister's married Nazis but he is not responsible for them.
Huh...3 people from the Nazi side of Phil the Greek’s family will be at the funeral. They had 30 people to choose from to be on the guest list and 3 are from the Nazi side...what’s up with that? We are supposed to believe that Phil and his wife had no contact/relationship with the Nazi side for 70 years and just randomly decided to invite those 3?

It’s kind of like when yt people (Americans mostly and often “woke yt liberals”) continue to have relationships with their racist family members but insist that they aren’t racist themselves. Like how?