Prince Phillip funeral watch thread

Liwe Liwe

Team Owner
Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
114,260 3,528 2,743
Alleybux
I honestly wasn't sure if he ever spoke to them again.
Bar Princess Cecilie who died, Prince Phillip maintained contact with his mother and sisters. Although they did not attend his wedding, 6 years later they attended the Queen's Coronation at Westminster Abbey.

Towards the end of her life, his mother, Princess Alice of Battenberg moved into Buckingham Palace, she lived there for about 2 years until she passed away in December 1969.
One of his sister's (either princess Margarita or Princess Sophie) used to like camping out in Buckingham Palace, apparently the servants found her very rude and demanding. Nevertheless he maintained contact with them to the end; Margarita died in 1981, and Sophie died in 2001. Sophie was a regular visitor to London. She was one of Prince Edward's godparents.

Although Phillip has seceral nieces and nephews who are still living, they are very old, so at the funeral his sisters families were repped by their grandsons (his grand nephews).

Margarita was repped by her grandson, Prince Phillip, Head of the Hohenlohe Langenburg family (he is descendent from Margarita's son, the late Prince Kraft of Hohenlohe Langenburg).

Theodore was repped by her grandson, Bernard of Baden, his father, the current head of the family Maximillian aged 84, was too old to travel, what with Covid.

His sisters Cecilie and Sophie married into the two different branches of the Hesse family; Cecilie married the heir of the Hesse and Rhine family, whilst Sophie married into the Landgrave Hesse family.

Cecilie's family perished in the aircraft, the one survivor, a daughter died of meningitis two months later. If Cecilie's family had not died, one of her children/grand children would have been the head of the Hesse and Rhine family. She was repped by Donatus the Head of the Landgrave of Hesse family.

Sophia's
sons Prince Karl Adolph Andreas (named for Hitler) and Prince Rainer aged 84 and 82 were too old to travel as well, what with the risk of covid. So they sent their nephew, the current Head of the family Donatus Landgrave of Hesse (he was basically on double duty, repping for Cecile and Sophia).

* Sophia's first husband, Christophe, and Donatus father (also called Phillip were brothers). Phillip was the 3rd born son, however he became heir apparent on the death of his 2 older brothers in WW1.

Last edited:

Liwe Liwe

Team Owner
Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
114,260 3,528 2,743
Alleybux
It's what Philip would have wanted

And to think that the woman is his nephew's wife!

He didn't invite her husband, his nephew the 3rd Earl Mountbatten of Burma.

He didn't invite the Earl's mother, his cousin, Patricia Hicks (Lord Mountbatten's daughter)...
but

he invited Penny. That's what I call ballsy. And she went! Or should I say, and she came?

incogneato

No face, no case.
Reaction score
Reactions
2,689,506 494,984 222,873
Alleybux
Chile.... seeing pallbearers carry caskets up stairs gives me a slight anxiety attack

Those royal coffins are heavy. They are lined with LEAD, cause it keeps the moisture out thus preserving the body for ONE YEAR. Diana's coffin weighed 250kg. Averaging 31.25 kg per pall bearer...yes I calculated!

Liwe Liwe

Team Owner
Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
114,260 3,528 2,743
Alleybux
I didn't say it in the other thread, but I don't think anything he said was really that bad. You'd think he was joking about slavery, and hurling the N word around with the way people talk bout him. Was he racially insensitive? Yes. Do I think he genuinely hated other races or viewed them as inferior? Not likely.

He hasn't said anything that most of our grandparents haven't said in their own homes about other ethnicities, and they're not racist. They're just elderly and weren't exposed to many other cultures.

Not exposed to other cultures? C'mon. Prince Phillip was well travelled, and well read- he had an extensive library of books. His behaviour was inexcusable more so considering his role in the Commonwealth.

Liwe Liwe

Team Owner
Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
114,260 3,528 2,743
Alleybux
I don't agree with this. Just because soneone grew up around a certain group of people that doesn't mean they can't be sensitive towards other cultures. That's no excuse. They're lots of people I know who grew up in rich, white circles and who have lived rather sheltered lives and they have enough sense not to say such mean things to people. Phillip was just an arrogant a**hole. Don't try to excuse it.

True dat. I don't believe in that whole X " reflects the era s/he grew up in, or the circles s/he moves in". Quakers were involved in the abolitionist movement going back to 1600! If a white person in the 17th century could see our humanity, then I expect someone born 300 years later, to know and do better. Prince Phillip was intelligent and hardworking (judging by his caeer in the navy and his work with many charities), but he was also boorish, rude and crude, these go to explain why his M-I-L and courtiers were wary of him. One is judged by their actions and words. His comments to minorities, although sometimes funny, were inappropriate and flat out racist.

Nouraj

Team Owner
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
27,220 888 1,533
Alleybux
Diana smiling about what? The whole thing was a photo opportunity. It's clear William, Harry and Kate were given instructions on what to do in order to present a united front, much in the way, bacl in 2018, after talks of a rift became rife in the media, they were told to present a united front walking to Church at Sandringham Christmas 2018.
Ok, so Diana was frowning because Meghan wasn’t there front and center with her veneers and botched nose.

Have a good day.