Quantcast

Psychiatrist takes you inside the minds of the worst killers she's spoken to - and the telltale signs they were set to commit heinous crimes

Freja

Team Owner
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
659,198 274,785 8,222
Alleybux

From a sadist who raped and killed his niece to the daughter who BEHEADED her mum: Psychiatrist takes you inside the minds of the worst killers she's spoken to - and the telltale signs they were set to commit heinous crimes​

• Dr Richard Furst unravelled the minds of some of the country's worst murderers
  • He assessed a daughter who killed her mother and uncle who killed his niece
  • The forensic psychiatrist revealed the telltale behaviours that led to their crimes
A forensic psychiatrist has unravelled the disturbed minds of some of the Australia's worst murderers and the tell-tale signs they were about to commit their horrific crimes.

Dr Richard Furst has more than 16 years of experience and spoken face-to-face with some of the most violent criminals in the country.

He has assessed a daughter who decapitated her mother, a school cleaner who raped and murdered a teacher and an uncle who raped and killed his niece.

Speaking on crime podcast Twisted Minds, Dr Furst has picked apart their behaviours and revealed what might have given away their dark intentions - though admitted that, in some cases, there were no warning signs at all.

Jessica Camilleri

Jessica Camilleri, 25, is serving a 21 year sentence after stabbing her mother Rita to death at their St Claire home, in western Sydney, on July 19, 2019

Jessica Camilleri, 25, is serving a 21 year sentence after stabbing her mother Rita to death at their St Claire home, in western Sydney, on July 19, 2019

Camilleri used seven kitchen knives in the attack - four of which broke due to the force of the strikes - before taking her mother's head outside their home and placing it on the footpath

Camilleri used seven kitchen knives in the attack - four of which broke due to the force of the strikes - before taking her mother's head outside their home and placing it on the footpath

Jessica Camilleri, 25, is serving a 21-year sentence after stabbing her mother Rita to death at their St Claire home, in western Sydney, on July 19, 2019.

Camilleri used seven kitchen knives in the attack - four of which broke due to the force of the strikes - before taking her mother's head outside their home and placing it on the footpath.

In a chilling twist, Dr Furst revealed he treated Camilleri and met her mother six years before the gruesome murder.

Camilleri had been referred for treatment by the court after grabbing her aunt by the hair and pulling her down a flight of stairs.

She was accompanied by her mother to her session with Dr Furst where the psychiatrist admitted he found nothing out of the ordinary in the would-be killer during the initial assessment.

'She wasn't using drugs,' he said. 'She wasn't going to psychiatric hospitals. So there weren't that many red flags and certainly no indication that the mum would be targeted in that way.'

Dr Furst admitted Camilleri had some learning difficulties and displayed signs of obsessive compulsive disorder - but nothing that rang alarm bells.

He would not see Camilleri again for another six years - after she killed her mother and while she was waiting in jail for her sentence.

Camilleri was accompanied by her mother Rita (pictured) to her session with Dr Furst where the psychiatrist admitted he found nothing out of the ordinary in the would-be killer during the initial assessment

Camilleri was accompanied by her mother Rita (pictured) to her session with Dr Furst where the psychiatrist admitted he found nothing out of the ordinary in the would-be killer during the initial assessment

During that long period apart Camilleri had become closed off from her friends and begun to obsessively watch horror movies like Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Jeepers Creepers.

She would also make random calls to strangers, sometimes dialling their phone number up to 100 times a day.

'I just think that whole constellation fed into this moment where there was a sustained kind of conflict between her and the mother that exploded in the way it did,' Dr Furst said.

Camilleri was not unlike other murderers who appeared perfectly normal on initial assessment.

Derek Barrett

Derek Barrett (left) has been jailed for 34 years and six months after filming, raping, torturing, kidnapping and murdering his niece (right, Mengmei Leng) in 2016

Derek Barrett (left) has been jailed for 34 years and six months after filming, raping, torturing, kidnapping and murdering his niece (right, Mengmei Leng) in 2016

During his trial, Barrett admitted to repeatedly stabbing Mengmei Leng before dumping her body at the blowhole at Snapper Point, on the New South Wales Central Coast

During his trial, Barrett admitted to repeatedly stabbing Mengmei Leng before dumping her body at the blowhole at Snapper Point, on the New South Wales Central Coast

Derek Barrett has been jailed for 34 years and six months after filming, raping, torturing, kidnapping and murdering his niece in 2016.

During his trial, Barrett admitted to repeatedly stabbing Mengmei Leng before dumping her body at the blowhole at Snapper Point, on the New South Wales Central Coast.

He admitted to filming the 25-year-old niece of his wife, while she was bound and naked, for his xesual gratification.

Dr Furst visited the IT worker following his arrest to assess his mental health and said, once again, there was nothing remarkable about his initial impression of the IT worker.

'He seemed if anything slightly awkward, he was introverted and into IT computers by training,' he said.

Barrett admitted to filming the 25-year-old niece of his wife, while she was bound and naked, for his sexual gratification

Barrett admitted to filming the 25-year-old niece of his wife, while she was bound and naked, for his xesual gratification

'He didn't seem like an aggressive criminal type or anything like that, or anti-social, or a person with a major mental illness. But that was pretty much the initial impression,' he said.

Though the seasoned psychiatrist said the more he spoke to the murderer the more his opinion changed.

Barrett had tried to claim he suffered from amnesia and couldn't remember carrying out the murder.

Dr Furst said Barret's behaviour following the murder suggested otherwise.

'If someone had really, truly forgotten what had happened and they 'came to' and saw a dead body in front of them, they normally call the police or an ambulance or do something to try and help the person,' he said.

Vincent Stanford

Then there was the case of school cleaner Vincent Stanford who raped and killed teacher and bride-to-be Stephanie Scott at Leeton High School, in the New South Wales Riverina region, on April 5, 2015

Then there was the case of school cleaner Vincent Stanford who raped and killed teacher and bride-to-be Stephanie Scott at Leeton High School, in the New South Wales Riverina region, on April 5, 2015

Ms Scott (left) had gone into school on a Sunday to set up her class for a substitute teacher who would be covering her as she got married and went on her honeymoon

Ms Scott (left) had gone into school on a Sunday to set up her class for a substitute teacher who would be covering her as she got married and went on her honeymoon

Then there was the case of school cleaner Vincent Stanford who raped and killed teacher and bride-to-be Stephanie Scott at Leeton High School, in the New South Wales Riverina region, on April 5, 2015.

Ms Scott had gone into school on a Sunday to set up her class for a substitute teacher who would be covering her as she got married and went on her honeymoon.

Stanford grabbed Ms Scott, dragged her into a classroom and xesually assaulted her, before stabbing her to death.

He later told police he felt compelled to kill her.

'I had to kill her. I wasn't angry or anything. Basically emotionless. (I) just (felt) that I had to kill her,' court papers revealed.

Dr Furst said Stanford was motivated by deviant xesual fantasies who used Ms Scott to live out his fantasy.

Ms Scott was just a week away from marrying Aaron Leeson-Wooley (left) when she was killed on April 5, 2015. He burnt body was found buried in Cocoparra National Park on Friday, April 10

Ms Scott was just a week away from marrying Aaron Leeson-Wooley (left) when she was killed on April 5, 2015. He burnt body was found buried in Cocoparra National Park on Friday, April 10

He revealed it was made even more tragic because the victim appeared to have been selected at random.

'It was more a chance meeting between those two parties and it could have been anybody else in Leeton [NSW] or other in the neighbourhood,' he said.

'It was more an opportunity. It doesn't mean that he was focused on her in particular, and it doesn't mean that he wasn't free of deviant thoughts in the period before that.'

After murdering Ms Scott, Stanford drove her car into the school grounds so he could not be seen loading her body into the boot.

Stanford then drove to Cocoparra National Park, placed her body on the ground and covered it in branches, before taking photos and eventually setting it alight.

BAYOUDIVA

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
2,115 88 32
Alleybux
I recently had a co-worker that was obsessed with another co-worker. For some reason she was a target for him. He was new and wanted her attention and I'm guessing she didn't drop to his feet as the other women had. After she repeatedly alerted management, all they did was talk to him. Of course the stalking continued. The co-worker feared for her safety and quit. This psycho is married by the way!

These days I put nothing past people. looks are deceiving. You never know what people are thinking.

LickingEyes

Usually so shy, but not tonight...
Reaction score
Reactions
6,285 597 821
Alleybux
Some how, seeing the pictures of their faces makes it worse.

Beyond sick. And you don't need a psych to tell you that they did those crimes just because they could.

I cant believe all of them got a very lenient sentencing.

Morticia A

pretty, strange & unusual
Reaction score
Reactions
276,444 14,395 11,155
Alleybux
Some how, seeing the pictures of their faces makes it worse.

Beyond sick. And you don't need a psych to tell you that they did those crimes just because they could.

I cant believe all of them got a very lenient sentencing.
The justice system outside of America is traaaassshhhh.

Morticia A

pretty, strange & unusual
Reaction score
Reactions
276,444 14,395 11,155
Alleybux
I read the article but didn't see what the telltale signs were? How do we ensure we don't become one of these weirdos victim?

CHEEZITQUEEN

King Tutan-Con-Man and his Felonious Bunch
Reaction score
Reactions
79,983 1,975 684
Alleybux
Sorry, but is it just me?

He was not a very good psychiatrist if he couldn't see the signs of manipulation, lying and evasion of his clients during their sessions.

How he missed so many clues (not just one person) is mind boggling.

FunSizeB

A mind opened to everything & attached to nothing
Reaction score
Reactions
76,437 3,086 258
Alleybux
I recently had a co-worker that was obsessed with another co-worker. For some reason she was a target for him. He was new and wanted her attention and I'm guessing she didn't drop to his feet as the other women had. After she repeatedly alerted management, all they did was talk to him. Of course the stalking continued. The co-worker feared for her safety and quit. This psycho is married by the way!

These days I put nothing past people. looks are deceiving. You never know what people are thinking.
Wow...this is sad. It’s upsetting that management didn’t take her seriously and she had to quit. Very unfortunate. Hopefully he doesn’t know where she lives because that would be a disaster. I wish her the best. People are crazy out there

Mehndi

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
2,485 42 11
Alleybux

He was not a very good psychiatrist if he couldn't see the signs of manipulation, lying and evasion of his clients during their sessions.

1. Thank you. I was thinking the same. Not one telltale clue. If he admits he was unable to see signs after interviewing these sociopaths, how is the average person able to avoid these monsters. Only in one case did he say he understood something was wrong after he spoke with them for a while. The US justice system is mostly trash but these light sentences in Australia are abominable. A woman who places her mother's head on the sidewalk gets 21 years. GTFOH.

I Love Meth

Jesus Doesn’t Love You & Neither Does Mommy
Reaction score
Reactions
25,568 1,545 637
Alleybux
All of them should have been given the death penalty. The first woman (barring premature death) will obviously live long enough to be able to walk amongst the public again one day. Imagine living next door to some freak who beheaded their mother just because she felt like it. What part of such a possibility registered as being okay to the judge who chose her sentence? Not sure about the two men’s ages or the last guy’s sentence length, but it’s possible they could also live long enough to be released. Ugh. Hopefully all three of those freaks die in prison before they can be released to terrorize people again.

TNTJackson

Top notch hoes get the most, not the lesser
Reaction score
Reactions
109,686 2,659 794
Alleybux
Does it always have to be because of mental illness? Can’t it be because the person is just plain evil?

Seoe

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
15,588 398 299
Alleybux

Trust me. You never know.

sansissue

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
130,957 5,668 404
Alleybux
Camilleri had been referred for treatment by the court after grabbing her aunt by the hair and pulling her down a flight of stairs.

She was accompanied by her mother to her session with Dr Furst where the psychiatrist admitted he found nothing out of the ordinary in the would-be killer during the initial assessment.

'She wasn't using drugs,' he said. 'She wasn't going to psychiatric hospitals. So there weren't that many red flags and certainly no indication that the mum would be targeted in that way.'

Dr Furst admitted Camilleri had some learning difficulties and displayed signs of obsessive compulsive disorder - but nothing that rang alarm bells.

This is the worst doctor ever.

Jaybub

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
8,674 306 23
Alleybux

Exactly what I was thinking. He wasn’t very observant.

GoldHeart

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
26,408 1,285 249
Alleybux
I read the article but didn't see what the telltale signs were? How do we ensure we don't become one of these weirdos victim?
Right? I came in here for the facts. Where are the cliffs where are the bullet points. We need answers here.

sansissue

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
130,957 5,668 404
Alleybux

They were no telltale signs. That's the point.

Right? I came in here for the facts. Where are the cliffs where are the bullet points. We need answers here.
You didn't read the article right.
The telltale sign was mentionned:
Do not go to Dr Furst under any circumstance. Even not under torture.
All the Times Oprah Winfrey Went Viral - Meme Gif Birthday Show

You are welcome!

County4Life

Somewhere with Remy.
Reaction score
Reactions
493,012 7,539 2,270
Alleybux
I never believe there are no signs. These people lack normalcy, inhibitions and self control like normal people.

They always show signs of being thrown off.

The issue is family and spouses will repeatedly overlook them. Family will also keep forgiving their behavior. A mofo doesn't just behead their own mother without serious signs beforehand. She attacked the aunt first. That indicated hatred towards her female family members. Her ass should've been on the street ASAP.

This psychiatrist just isn't very good. At all. He's telling the entire world that he can't catch sh!t.

sansissue

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
130,957 5,668 404
Alleybux
He definitely needs to rethink his career at this point .
Right? But instead, he has the caucasity to do a podcast and behaves like an expert.
At this point, with my PhD in watching Law and Order, Forensic Files and Dateline, I am more of an expert than him.

Martini GIF - Find on GIFER

NZURI

Delete Account
Reaction score
Reactions
257,693 8,171 8,001
Alleybux
What are we supposed to learn from a "doctor" who clearly doesn't know sh!t? All of those freaks would've been easy to spot by anyone with sense, especially this crazy ass b!tch who cut off her mother's head. I'm sure everyone who knew them thought they were weirdos and they've never fit in, yet this professional didn't realize something was off until after the sh!t hit the fan, and at least once not until after extensive conversation with the lunatic.

Msesquirefitness

Ethio Olivia Pope
Reaction score
Reactions
23,554 1,008 101
Alleybux
The justice system outside of America is traaaassshhhh.

a fact. Bc as problematic and antiquated the criminal justice system is here in the U.S, anytime I hear or read about crimes in other countries, and the subsequent punishment received, I’m just reminded that one really would rather experience the long arm of justice here than elsewhere.

Jaybub

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
8,674 306 23
Alleybux
Right? But instead, he has the caucasity to do a podcast and behaves like an expert.
At this point, with my PhD in watching Law and Order, Forensic Files and Dateline, I am more of an expert than him.

Martini GIF - Find on GIFER

Clara Barton

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
182,180 10,698 4,211
Alleybux

I'm still scarred a guy lied to everyone at a workplace that we'd been sleeping together.

When I brought it up, there was a conversation, but he would not stop.

He created fake messages where I was obsessed with HIM!

Once I found that out, I quit. The magnitude of that was dark and not worth $16/hr to find out where it was leading to.

IAmBored

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
49,252 2,597 375
Alleybux
You know all I got from this is what I already knew: people are unpredictable. You never know who will do what.

MDAWarrior

H-town baby, but Detroit made me
Reaction score
Reactions
44,270 1,453 26
Alleybux
I can look at the first picture and tell she's off in the head. One word not even needed...he needs to rethink his career choice.