Quantcast

Psychologist hacked to death with meat cleaver..

Status
Not open for further replies.

mzhotniz86

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
3,578 1 1
Alleybux
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=4284604&page=1

other sources : http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/02/13/therapist.killed.ap/index.html?iref=hpmostpop

Man Being Questioned in Shrink Killing

New York Case Is Chilling Reminder of Dangers Faced By Psychotherapists

abc_attack02_080214_ms.jpg

NYC psychologist Kathryn Faughey was found murdered yesterday in her Upper East Side office. The killer -- who police say may have used a meat cleaver to kill the doctor -- is still on the loose. (ABC/AP Photo)

byline_abcnews.gif

By EMILY FRIEDMAN
Feb. 14, 2008

Font Size

Print
A 43-year-old man is being questioned by authorities in Pennsylvannia in connection with the murder of a Manhattan psychotherapist.
Police are sifting through bizarre clues -- adult diapers, a bag of knives, women's clothing, rope and duct tape -- left behind by the man who hacked a 56-year-old Kathryn Faughey to death in a homicidal frenzy.
Sources told ABC News that a man was being questioned by authorities near Allentown, Penn., in connection with the brutal murder. NYPD has yet to confirm whether anyone is in custody or if the man is a suspect in the case.

The manhunt was launched after Faughey was hacked and stabbed to death in her Manhattan office Tuesday night. Fellow psychotherapist Kent Shinbach who rushed to her rescue was severely injured.
Police said Faughey was stabbed with such fury that at least one of the knives was bent from the force of the thrust and the handle of a meat cleaver used in the attack was jarred loose.
In addition to the 9-inch knife and the cleaver recovered at the bloody Upper East Side office, police found a bag filled with adult diapers and women's clothing and another with an additional eight knives, rope and duct tape, according to police.
The suspect was caught on the building's surveillance cameras and was seen entering the main entrance rolling one suitcase and carrying another. He was spotted about an hour later exiting through a basement door. Police describe him as a balding, middle-age man clad in a three-quarter-length green coat, knit cap and gloves.
It is not yet known whether the suspected killer was a patient of Faughey's or Shinbach's, or otherwise related to one of their clients.

Faughey treated patients for everything from depression to intimacy issues, according to her practice's Web site, and one former patient told ABCNEWS.com that she saw the therapist for 15 years, and found Faughey "warm" and "compassionate."
"I'm completely shocked," said Barbara Camwell, 51, who was one of Faughey's patients.
Barbara Camwell, 51, was one of Faughey's patients and started seeing the therapist 15 years ago. "She was definitely the kind of therapist that everyone should have. She always shook your hand or even sometimes hugged you."
There was no key code or lock on the door to Faughey's office waiting room, Camwell recalled, but there was always a doorman on duty.
"Faughey was an amateur photographer and decorated her office with her work," remembered Camwell. "The office was very placid and meticulously kept. There were two comfy chairs and a rocking chair."
Camwell said that while she met quite a few patients in passing at Faughey's office -- many of whom she remembered as being victims of domestic abuse -- none of them made her feel uncomfortable.
While it has yet to be determined whether the man who killed Faughey was one of her patients — or connected to a patient — violence against therapists isn't uncommon.
A nationwide survey of psychotherapists conducted by the American Psychological Assocation found that almost 40 percent of therapists reported having been attacked by a patient on one or more occasions. Forty-nine percent responded that they had been verbally threatened with physical attack.
Video
Hunt for Patient After Hacking Death

Can Psychotherapists Miss the Signs?

Patients who suffer from personality disorders, schizophrenia, paranoia or are anti-social are some of the most high-risk patients for violent behavior, according to Peter Kanaris, a New York-based clinical psychologist. But therapists' awareness of these conditions can't ensure their safety.
"Experienced therapists are in the best situation to deal with a population accustomed to acting out, but it still doesn't guarantee safety and there still remains an element of risk," said Kanaris.
While he has never been physically threatened by a patient, Kanaris said that one man who was seeking treatment for his failing marriage made him particularly nervous.
When the husband began to realize that his marriage was doomed, he showed up at Kanaris' New York office drunk and hostile, the doctor recalled.
"I immediately sensed the potential of violence, and thought that maybe he wanted to stick it to the therapist who wasn't able to save his marriage," said Kanaris, who eventually defused the patient without incident. "Often patients in marital counseling will vent their anger about their failed marriage toward their therapist

jami28

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
CHILEEEEEEEEE...what is this world coming to....just the title alone is chilling...i did NOT want to read that article...that is so sad...i am praying for her family..

mzhotniz86

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
3,578 1 1
Alleybux
that is scary as hell to me. cause i was contemplating taking up counseling when i go back to school OR being a teacher. but damn, it seems like those professions are now death wishes

__JAVA__

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
46,760 55 29
Alleybux
She was a psychologist. Guy already lost his mind.

It would be no surprise if Clarice was killed by that cross dresser in "Silence of the Lambs".

She probably knew how mental he was, she probably just tried to
treat him anyways. That is human compassion.

Ancestren

Walk with me
Reaction score
Reactions
17,740 33 32
Alleybux
In addition to the 9-inch knife and the cleaver recovered at the bloody Upper East Side office, police found a bag filled with adult diapers and women's clothing and another with an additional eight knives, rope and duct tape, according to police.

Damn... That's the same crap that psycho astronaut was rollin with... Must be the "Premeditated Killer Starter Kit."

I'm not even joking...

R.I.P. to Kathryn Faughey

Queen Vannah

Vannah da Plug
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
197,444 3,762 508
Alleybux
( sigh ).

I've never thought about this happening to me and I'm not really sure why. It's sad and it lets me know that when I go back to work to be on gaurd.

It just puzzles me that this was done in broad daylight.

__JAVA__

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
46,760 55 29
Alleybux
socialite ;;2441425 said:
( sigh ).

I've never thought about this happening to me and I'm not really sure why. It's sad and it lets me know that when I go back to work to be on gaurd.

It just puzzles me that this was done in broad daylight.

That only mattered in the previous century.

Now, that is the best time to kill someone. You could drop someone out of a car in rush hour traffic, the next guy would run over the person. Person dies. Finito.

fishina

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
20,762 483 288
Alleybux
Thankfully they caught this dude yesterday. This happened in my neighborhood so I am truly relieved that he is off the streets.

mzhotniz86

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
3,578 1 1
Alleybux
Thankfully they caught this dude yesterday. This happened in my neighborhood so I am truly relieved that he is off the streets.

are u for real?!? wow, that was fast as hell. do you have his name? i want to google more info on this freak of nature

fishina

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
20,762 483 288
Alleybux
His name is David Tarloff. He has a history of mental illness and basically went nuts in the courtroom yesterday. It's a shame really because he never should have been on the streets to begin with but it is hard to commit people against their will. Here is the latest:

February 18, 2008 -- Disheveled, bug-eyed and rambling, the deranged man who allegedly killed an Upper East Side shrink put on a bizarre show in court yesterday - accusing his lawyer of pretending to be Al Sharpton, muttering about Reese's Peanut Butter Cups and reading the nation's motto off the courtroom wall.
"He isn't an attorney. I saw his license. Look at him! He's white! He is not Rev. Sharpton! I don't know who he is. I'm sorry, this man is lying. There is no proof that he is an attorney," David Tarloff said of his court-appointed lawyer to Judge Ruth Pickholz, who ordered him held without bail pending a psychiatric evaluation at Bellevue Hospital.
Still sporting the dirty white sweatshirt he wore when he was arrested, Tarloff spent most of the five-minute hearing staring wildly around the room and pursing his lips.
As he was brought into the courtroom, Tarloff kept muttering to the court officers, "I want to eat. I want to eat.
"The last meal I had was 6 o'clock last night, and it was Reese's Peanut Butter Cups," he said.
At one point, Tarloff's eyes darted above the judge's head to the "In God We Trust" sign, which he read aloud.
Tarloff's relatives yesterday said he had bounced in and out of psychiatric institutions for years without ever receiving appropriate treatment - and he frequently went off his medication.
"My father and I and our mother all tried our best to keep him in the facility that he was hospitalized in over the many, many years of his illness," said Tarloff's brother, Robert. "But they kept releasing him, even after we told them what had been going on with his situation.
"We did the best that we could, asking them to keep him in there, but they didn't."
Robert Tarloff would not specifically discuss the nature of his brother's illness or where he had been treated, but sources said David Tarloff, 39, suffers from schizophrenia.
After yesterday's arraignment in Manhattan Criminal Court, his lawyer, Reginald Sharp, said it was clear Tarloff was unstable.
"He is having trouble understanding where he is," Sharp said. "He needs to be examined."
Tarloff is charged with the savage meat-cleaver slaying of psychologist Kathryn Faughey, 56, last Tuesday in her Upper East Side office. He also is accused of attacking his former shrink, Kent Shinbach, 70, who shared an office with Faughey.
Authorities say Tarloff had intended to rob Shinbach - who had had him committed 17 years ago - and use the money to flee to Hawaii with his elderly mother, who lives in a Queens nursing home.
Friends and neighbors said Tarloff was a "mama's boy" and his mental state declined precipitously after his mother moved from their Corona apartment to the nursing home about two years ago.
But they often fought.
"He [verbally] abused his mother," one neighbor said. "
The abuse did not stop after she moved out, and Tarloff was repeatedly barred from visiting her at nursing homes over the next two years because of his disruptive behavior.
Then, Tarloff was arrested Feb. 1 after allegedly punching a security guard at St. John's Episcopal Hospital in Far Rockaway when told he could not see his mother.
Judge Barry Kron released Tarloff on his own recognizance in that case. Bail was not imposed.
City courts spokesman David Bookstaver last night said, "Bail . . . cannot be used for preventative detention or punishment."
Police fingerprinted Tarloff after that incident - and used those prints to match some found at the scene of Faughey's killing.
A friend, who identified herself only as Stacy, said Tarloff railed at the treatment he received while institutionalized.
"He said those doctors were screwing him up when they put him in the mental institution," she said.

mzhotniz86

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
3,578 1 1
Alleybux
His name is David Tarloff. He has a history of mental illness and basically went nuts in the courtroom yesterday. It's a shame really because he never should have been on the streets to begin with but it is hard to commit people against their will. Here is the latest:

February 18, 2008 -- Disheveled, bug-eyed and rambling, the deranged man who allegedly killed an Upper East Side shrink put on a bizarre show in court yesterday - accusing his lawyer of pretending to be Al Sharpton, muttering about Reese's Peanut Butter Cups and reading the nation's motto off the courtroom wall.
"He isn't an attorney. I saw his license. Look at him! He's white! He is not Rev. Sharpton! I don't know who he is. I'm sorry, this man is lying. There is no proof that he is an attorney," David Tarloff said of his court-appointed lawyer to Judge Ruth Pickholz, who ordered him held without bail pending a psychiatric evaluation at Bellevue Hospital.
Still sporting the dirty white sweatshirt he wore when he was arrested, Tarloff spent most of the five-minute hearing staring wildly around the room and pursing his lips.
As he was brought into the courtroom, Tarloff kept muttering to the court officers, "I want to eat. I want to eat.
"The last meal I had was 6 o'clock last night, and it was Reese's Peanut Butter Cups," he said.
At one point, Tarloff's eyes darted above the judge's head to the "In God We Trust" sign, which he read aloud.
Tarloff's relatives yesterday said he had bounced in and out of psychiatric institutions for years without ever receiving appropriate treatment - and he frequently went off his medication.
"My father and I and our mother all tried our best to keep him in the facility that he was hospitalized in over the many, many years of his illness," said Tarloff's brother, Robert. "But they kept releasing him, even after we told them what had been going on with his situation.
"We did the best that we could, asking them to keep him in there, but they didn't."
Robert Tarloff would not specifically discuss the nature of his brother's illness or where he had been treated, but sources said David Tarloff, 39, suffers from schizophrenia.
After yesterday's arraignment in Manhattan Criminal Court, his lawyer, Reginald Sharp, said it was clear Tarloff was unstable.
"He is having trouble understanding where he is," Sharp said. "He needs to be examined."
Tarloff is charged with the savage meat-cleaver slaying of psychologist Kathryn Faughey, 56, last Tuesday in her Upper East Side office. He also is accused of attacking his former shrink, Kent Shinbach, 70, who shared an office with Faughey.
Authorities say Tarloff had intended to rob Shinbach - who had had him committed 17 years ago - and use the money to flee to Hawaii with his elderly mother, who lives in a Queens nursing home.
Friends and neighbors said Tarloff was a "mama's boy" and his mental state declined precipitously after his mother moved from their Corona apartment to the nursing home about two years ago.
But they often fought.
"He [verbally] abused his mother," one neighbor said. "
The abuse did not stop after she moved out, and Tarloff was repeatedly barred from visiting her at nursing homes over the next two years because of his disruptive behavior.
Then, Tarloff was arrested Feb. 1 after allegedly punching a security guard at St. John's Episcopal Hospital in Far Rockaway when told he could not see his mother.
Judge Barry Kron released Tarloff on his own recognizance in that case. Bail was not imposed.
City courts spokesman David Bookstaver last night said, "Bail . . . cannot be used for preventative detention or punishment."
Police fingerprinted Tarloff after that incident - and used those prints to match some found at the scene of Faughey's killing.
A friend, who identified herself only as Stacy, said Tarloff railed at the treatment he received while institutionalized.
"He said those doctors were screwing him up when they put him in the mental institution," she said.

thanks for this! i was starting to wonder about the relationship between the victim and killer. i wonder why he asked for her instead of his actually shrink? for him to be so crazy, he is very clever in how he set this thing up. i hope they put his ass down like a stray dog.

Status
Not open for further replies.