Quantcast

Queen Sugar: Season 4 Episode 9 "Stare at the Same Fires", Wed, Aug 14th @ 9pm on OWN

SapphireMoon

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
7,741 219 23
Alleybux
This episode made me sad and angry at the same time.

I'm mad that things are good with Charley and Nova. I don't like Nova. I don't care to watch her scenes. I hate that the writers ruined her.

Darla being drunk made me sad but I am a bit happy that we get to know her character more. There is still much more we need to learn about her.

Reaction score
Reactions
1,157 28 14
Alleybux
Right, but where did she get the idea that she could/should write a book about the personal business of each member of her family? I just don't remember the internal process that she went through to say, ok, I'm going to focus on this book because...I don't remember seeing that progression in the episodes. Maybe they didn't show this internal process cause all the characters and the audience were supposed to be like WTF?... with the dribble she finally published. I do think I remember friction at the paper she use to write for about the pieces she was writing I think but...
OK, I do remember her going to Too Sweet, was that his name? She went to visit him to tell him the truth about the part she played in landing him in jail, being that she was supplying the drug to a minor no less. I remember her talking to him about one's truth I think, yada, yada...

Anyway, bottom line, writers once again on a show I like, doing a sh!tty job of getting said character from point A to B.

If I remember correctly, the book idea came from Micah and something he said about an article she wrote. It was when her publisher was like, nah we need more from you.

CCMe2004

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
40,986 877 702
Alleybux
I have to be honest I have always found Nova the most interesting character on the show. However, I started taking issue with Ava when she broke Calvin and Nova up in season 2. Mainly, because she was on her whole BLM kick and decided that it didn't make sense for Nova to be with a cop. Which would have made sense if she didn't start the show with them having an affair for years while he was a cop. So the cop excuse never worked for me. Especially when her next love interest was freaking Remy.

Those two had no xesual chemistry, like none. So only she must have thought that pairing should have been a thing. But once again, she was wrong. And that continued the downfall of the Nova character and pretty much ruined Remy.

But she wasn't done, then she decided that Nova needed to write some tell-all book that absolutely no one ask for. So now she has ruined another character. But unlike Remy, Nova is a lead so she isn't going to be written out. So they will have to try to redeem her.

I'm not complaining, but I am sure that is why they brought back Calvin, because even viewers that can't stand her seem to tolerate her with him.
I don't think she wanted to do it. The guy who played Calvin left the show for a while. Her was a single father just out of a divorce and didn't want to be away from his kids in LA. He went back to Days of Our Lives where he had a regular schedule. (His words) But Ava left the door open for him to return. His kids are older now, so he may be back for good. At least, that's what I hope.