Quantcast

Queen Sugar Season 5 Episode 9, "In Summer Time To Simply Be"

Violet Spring

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
167,794 1,469 34
Alleybux
God how predictable. I want to roll my eyes. I hope it isn’t true but nova would love the toxicity of that.
Why would you hope that the actress, the real person, wasn't pregnant?
Because for me, I thought the actress was really pregnant.

Unless you mean you hope they don't write her real pregnancy into the story for the character she plays.

missmisha

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
170,267 7,763 5,725
Alleybux
Why would you hope that the actress, the real person, wasn't pregnant?
Because for me, I thought the actress was really pregnant.

Unless you mean you hope they don't write her real pregnancy into the story for the character she plays.

I was talking about the story, I don’t mind the actual actress being pregnant.

MamaFatCheeks

LIVE * LAUGH * LOVE * ALOT
Reaction score
Reactions
71,094 972 39
Alleybux
Sorry for this rant but.....

QS has always had toxic female characters starting with Darla and Nova and I just can't at this point. I have never seen a black show write such emotionally weak or adversarial main female character that weren't suppose to be villains.

Granted Darla got a bit of a redemption storyline but just wait until next season when her and RA have some conflict, fans will be back to hating her too.

But my biggest gripe is with the Nova character. From the beginning she was written not to be liked by viewers. I mean they had to know that most women weren't going to be down with her having an affair. But to make Calvin a white cop really put them over the top.

Here is my issue, I think it is messed up that a black show purposely for three seasons has written Nova is such a reckless way that she will never really be liked or respected as a character. I get that no one likes all characters but to see people getting joy over shitting over a black female character is sad. Because we never see black male characters written like that unless they are the villains. But Darla and Nova were never supposed to be seen as villains because QS isn't that type of show. Which is why I blame the writers for not taking better care of how the characters will be perceived long term by the viewers.

And honestly I feel for Rutina because as an actress how do you really support a show that has ruined your character beyond repair. Dawn (Charley) said when the Remy character left how she felt that it was a missed opportunity and how she was close to the actor that played him. Rutina and Greg (Calvin) from the very beginning were invested in their characters. Oprah herself said they were her favorite couple. So to make Calvin so deceitful just to finally break them up in my opinion is reckless writing. And it sh!ts on what the actors themselves created and were proud of over the last few years.

I am sure when Nova's new black male interest comes next season some people will be okay with her again. But that is my issue too. Nova from day one should have been seen as interesting character on her own and not dependent on her love interest. Instead of being turned in what she has become especially with that trash ass family book storyline.

If the writers are giving her "pay back" through being with Calvin that is f---d up and lazy writing. And what a horrible message it sends about women who might IR date that their men just want them for xes but really hate all other black people aka men. Sorry I have to side eye Ava and the black male show runner on that.

-----------------------
And yes I question why the show runner is trying to redeem Davis who definitely should stay in the co-parent zone. Once again, why couldn't Charley find true love without potentially getting back with a man that cheated and lied about having a child.

I am just kind of turned off that a show that should have been about strong black women has turned into characters that never seem to be able to have a healthy relationship or career at the same time. There is literally no joy on this show for more than a week which is unfortunate.

You made a lot of good points and I agree with most of what you said. Nova was not a character in the original Queen Sugar story. In the beginning, she was my favorite because she was written as passionate and determined. Over the last few seasons, her personality and actions seem to change with each writer. It is like they couldn't write her as the strong black woman she was supposed to be without tying her to her latest love interest. Her bouncing from person to person looks bad in my eyes. Calvin was the best of the bunch and now that has been ruined too. I never saw them being long term, especially if Nova is as invested in her community as they have told us she is. And for her to write that book and spill her family secrets without even a word to them, especially all of that about Darla and Blue, was out of character. The final straw was to put her with Remy after his relationship with Charley. It was just messy and again, out of character for who they told us Remy was.
Which brings me to Charley. She cannot catch a break, professionally or personally. Nova gets boo after boo and Charley gets what? Remy's judgement? The latino doctor who I don't even remember and that racist Jacob Boudreaux? And now, when she is at her most vulnerable she is supposed to get back with Davis after that whole scandal with the groupie him cheating and having another child? Like no matter how professional, how poised Charley has been, this woman has to suffer and settle for less than. It isn't fair.

showdemdimples

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
993 12 1
Alleybux
As much as I hate it, I think Charley and Davis will reunite. I think Darla is pregnant and I believe Vi will have a secret of her own. Maybe she had a kid with Jimmy Dale.
Also hate Charley and Davis uniting ugh :rolleyes: but you were right about Darla being pregnant so exciting!!!

SapphireMoon

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
7,742 219 23
Alleybux
You made a lot of good points and I agree with most of what you said. Nova was not a character in the original Queen Sugar story. In the beginning, she was my favorite because she was written as passionate and determined. Over the last few seasons, her personality and actions seem to change with each writer. It is like they couldn't write her as the strong black woman she was supposed to be without tying her to her latest love interest. Her bouncing from person to person looks bad in my eyes. Calvin was the best of the bunch and now that has been ruined too. I never saw them being long term, especially if Nova is as invested in her community as they have told us she is. And for her to write that book and spill her family secrets without even a word to them, especially all of that about Darla and Blue, was out of character. The final straw was to put her with Remy after his relationship with Charley. It was just messy and again, out of character for who they told us Remy was.
Which brings me to Charley. She cannot catch a break, professionally or personally. Nova gets boo after boo and Charley gets what? Remy's judgement? The latino doctor who I don't even remember and that racist Jacob Boudreaux? And now, when she is at her most vulnerable she is supposed to get back with Davis after that whole scandal with the groupie him cheating and having another child? Like no matter how professional, how poised Charley has been, this woman has to suffer and settle for less than. It isn't fair.
I totally agree with you about Nova's character. The different writers on each season ruined her character for me. The book she released telling all of her family secrets is something that Season one Nova would have never done. I wish they would allow Charley to be happy and they need to bring in a new love interest for her. I'm not sure how I feel about her and Davis reconnecting.

Reaction score
Reactions
3,197 168 57
Alleybux
I think Blue will be better of at the school, he has different parents than his mother. I’m sure school coupled with dismissive parents didn’t help Darlas case. But I think a good school &&& having good loving parents is a good match for him. But like y’all said, there are no other good schools in ALL of Louisiana?? Lol