Quantcast

Question for the Black folks that live in Cali

meache

Jophiel
Reaction score
Reactions
8,374 1,260 1,579
Alleybux
I have contacted a recruiter that said she mainly can find jobs in Cali, but can look for jobs in other parts of the USA too. I have no desire to live in California because it's too expensive and I don't like earthquakes/fires. Plus, the Black men there aren't interested in dating/marrying Black women. However, if the recruiter can't find jobs for me anywhere else, I might have to suck it up and move there. Ugh! :disapointed:

Anyways, I need some info about your state, so the questions are below.

Where do the Black people live?
How much should the salary be so people can pay their bills?
If you don't like clubbing, what else is there to do?
What's the dating/marriage scene like for Black females?
For the love of God, are there any affordable apartments anywhere?

This is all I can think of right now, but please add any other info that will be useful.

Queen Nandi

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
65,498 2,588 1,350
Alleybux
Where do the Black people live? Long Beach
How much should the salary be so people can pay their bills? $8000 a month
If you don't like clubbing, what else is there to do? Surf.
What's the dating/marriage scene like for Black females? Great if you're thin.
For the love of God, are there any affordable apartments anywhere? No.

Reaction score
Reactions
195 9 14
Alleybux
What's the dating/marriage scene like for Black females? Great if you're thin.

so you need to make $96,000 a year to make it in cali? LMFAO!!!! toooo funny...but yeah, cali is high as hell. if you budget well, you can make it on $40,000. make sure you DON'T HAVE KIDS!

Plumbus

Lady Lazarus
Reaction score
Reactions
154,610 5,781 4,839
Alleybux
I have contacted a recruiter that said she mainly can find jobs in Cali, but can look for jobs in other parts of the USA too. I have no desire to live in California because it's too expensive and I don't like earthquakes/fires. Plus, the Black men there aren't interested in dating/marrying Black women. However, if the recruiter can't find jobs for me anywhere else, I might have to suck it up and move there. Ugh! :disapointed:

Where do the Black people live? Nowhere. Ain't none here chile!
How much should the salary be so people can pay their bills? You're going to struggle making $30,000. One bedroom apartments are $1,100 and up unless you want to live in the ghetto. I think $45,000+ is good for one person.
If you don't like clubbing, what else is there to do? Go hiking and talk about hiking 24/7, form hiking groups and try to get people into hiking even they have told you TWENTY times they don't like hiking.
What's the dating/marriage scene like for Black females? You gotta' be open to dating non-Black since you're probably going to be the only Black person in a room the majority of the time. Also, I hope you're not fat or slightly overweight.

This is all I can think of right now, but please add any other info that will be useful.

My answers are in red.

meache

Jophiel
Reaction score
Reactions
8,374 1,260 1,579
Alleybux

:sarcastic:

Thanks for the sorry ass jokes. If you're a Black woman, then I can kind of understand why Black men won't come anywhere near you. Nobody wants to put up with your sh!tty attitude.

Plumbus

Lady Lazarus
Reaction score
Reactions
154,610 5,781 4,839
Alleybux
:sarcastic:

Thanks for the sorry ass jokes. If you're a Black woman, then I can kind of understand why Black men won't come anywhere near you. Nobody wants to put up with your sh!tty attitude.

She was telling the truth :struggle:

litabonita

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Reactions
38 2
Alleybux
socal has amazing weather all year round that makes up for any earthquakes that are like less than 10 secs and only come every few years or so. you don't really have to worry about fires unless you're rich and have a super nice house up in the wilderness somewhere. having lived in la and manhattan, i find la/cali to be quite affordable, but everything is relative so if you're coming from somewhere country, it may seem expensive. but remember, cali is a HUGE state, and there's a lot of big differences between nor/socal, so you might want to narrow it down even further.

meache

Jophiel
Reaction score
Reactions
8,374 1,260 1,579
Alleybux
Don't come here.

Believe me I DON'T WANT TO GO! However, if I can't get a decent job anywhere else, then I'll have to move because the job market sucks monkey balls. Don't worry, just pray that I find a job with a high salary and great benefits in a nice place to live outside of Cali.

Konvict Kimi

LSA OG
Reaction score
Reactions
109,183 6,058 1,893
Alleybux

Where do the Black people live? - wherever there's a Louisiana Fried Chicken joint

How much should the salary be so people can pay their bills? - Depends on the bills. You need to make at least $3g's a month if you don't wanna live off bologna sandwiches

If you don't like clubbing, what else is there to do? - Lots. Lounges, beaches, shopping, restaurants/bars... anything you can possibly think of. If you go on meetup.com, you'll find even MORE stuff to do

What's the dating/marriage scene like for Black females? -All of my friends are married so it must not be TOO hard. It also depends on what you're looking for.

For the love of God, are there any affordable apartments anywhere? - yes, but they are either in the hood or at least 45 min to an hour OUTSIDE of the Los angeles city limits

Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
I'm suspecting that no one in this thread lives in Cali. I'm just going to let the ignorance continue..

DontTellItAll

Multi-Millionairess In The Making
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
58,991 833 379
Alleybux
Where do the Black people live? All over the place. Long Beach, LA and other places.
How much should the salary be so people can pay their bills? $60k to $50k at minimum.
If you don't like clubbing, what else is there to do? Museums, wine tasting, beach, shopping, etc.
What's the dating/marriage scene like for Black females? Not bad, but like others have said, you better have the body beautiful.
For the love of God, are there any affordable apartments anywhere? Yes, but even more affordable if you can get a roommate.

meache

Jophiel
Reaction score
Reactions
8,374 1,260 1,579
Alleybux
I forgot to ask if there are any natural hair salons there. I'm sure the answer is probably no, but I just want to check.

meache

Jophiel
Reaction score
Reactions
8,374 1,260 1,579
Alleybux
I'm suspecting that no one in this thread lives in Cali. I'm just going to let the ignorance continue..

Yep

I've traveled to Cali before, so I already know that some of these folks are full of sh!t.

BTW, I have absolutely NO desire to live in LA because I'm not a movie star and am not even trying to be one. I hope that helps.

LustNLuxury

Afro-American Princess <3
Reaction score
Reactions
497,552 11,248 1,828
Alleybux
Well I live in LA and there are pretty much black all over. There are more Hispanics than anything out here.
It depends on where you live. Certain areas out here are cheaper than others, and some cater to people who are on the county, like section 8.
If you don't like clubbing, what else is there to do?
There are lots of things to do, shopping, going to the beach, going to LA Live, going to the Santa Monica Pier, driving to other cities like San Diego, San Fran, etc.
Its fine if you're willing to put yourself out there.
There are, but again, it depends on the area you want to live in.

DontTellItAll

OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
58,991 833 379
Alleybux
I forgot to ask if there are any natural hair salons there. I'm sure the answer is probably no, but I just want to check.

Quite a few. Try Long Beach and also LA. I believe there are shops on or near Fairfax also.

K.U.R.E

General Manager
Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
6,713 7 15
Alleybux
:dead: at people being afraid of earthquakes. It's not that big of a deal people. It's a lil shakey and that's it. No more than 1 minute.

I would be more worried about being taxed to death, honestly.

Konvict Kimi

LSA OG
Reaction score
Reactions
109,183 6,058 1,893
Alleybux

Yes there are. Some in LA, Long Beach, North Hollywood , Inglewood etc.

The girl that just braided Brandys hair is a natural hairstylist

80sIcons

RIP Akira Toriyama
Reaction score
Reactions
141,005 2,394 1,095
Alleybux
Black people are all over in California. It's expensive to afford an apartment here. There is so much to do whether you live in Oakland, S.F, LA, etc. Despite what people say, black women get hit on by black men and I've seen plenty of black couples.

TobiasBlkChick

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
242,407 5,177 6,092
Alleybux
Yep

I've traveled to Cali before, so I already know that some of these folks are full of sh!t.

BTW, I have absolutely NO desire to live in LA because I'm not a movie star and am not even trying to be one. I hope that helps.

Honestly, you probably got all of these dumb answers because your OP was full of dumb stereotypes. That's just a guess.

Also, folks can't answer your questions if you don't tell them a specific city. LA, San Diego, San Francisco, Sacramento, San Jose, Bakersfield, etc. are all very different places although they are in the same state. The answers to your questions depend on which major metro area you'll be living in.

Also, movies stars are probably 0.00000001% of the population in Los Angeles. Despite what you see on TV and what you hear on LSA, Los Angeles is a normal city when it comes to folks who are just trying to make a life for themselves...no different from NYC, Atlanta, Chicago, Philly, or some other major city. It's ridiculously easy to avoid all of that Hollywood ish IF that's what you choose to do.

Fashion Killa

Hanna Marin-Rivers
Reaction score
Reactions
174,256 6,533 1,231
Alleybux
I've been living in Cali for about 3 years now and it's not that bad. It's a bit on the expensive side (but I'm from NY so it's not new to me). I'd definitely reccomend Northern Cali if you want a cheaper and chill less materialistic environment. Plus it's pretty diverse too. If you love the beach party life - Southern Cali is your place but be prepared to shell out the big bucks to support the lifestyle.

80sIcons

RIP Akira Toriyama
Reaction score
Reactions
141,005 2,394 1,095
Alleybux
I've been living in Cali for about 3 years now and it's not that bad. It's a bit on the expensive side (but I'm from NY so it's not new to me). I'd definitely reccomend Northern Cali if you want a cheaper and chill less materialistic environment. Plus it's pretty diverse too. If you love the beach party life - Southern Cali is your place but be prepared to shell out the big bucks to support the lifestyle.

I agree with the diversity part. Where I live at, I'm surrounded by different cultures and ethnicities.

Fashion Killa

Hanna Marin-Rivers
Reaction score
Reactions
174,256 6,533 1,231
Alleybux
And seriously, don't be afraid of the earthquakes. They come only now then and 9/10x they're extremely small you can barely feel them and rarely last over a minute. Cali earthquakes are least of anybody's concern. If anything, it's the wildfires that get out of control sometimes in certain areas.

Aikko

Team Owner
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
8,895 18 16
Alleybux
Believe me I DON'T WANT TO GO! However, if I can't get a decent job anywhere else, then I'll have to move because the job market sucks monkey balls. Don't worry, just pray that I find a job with a high salary and great benefits in a nice place to live outside of Cali.
If you do an advanced title search I'm sure you'll find the other threads on this. They'll have a lot more info than you're likely to get here because quite honestly a thread asking this same question is posted about once a month it seems, and I think the peeps that live here are just tired of it.

Everybody here has a different experience with this town, though. I'll stop being a douche and try to be helpful for once:

Where do the Black people live? All over, but not really in large numbers unless you're in South Central, Baldwin Hills, places like that. I live in a mostly white neighborhood, though, so aside from the few in my building, I don't see them too, too much unless I leave the area.

How much should the salary be so people can pay their bills? It depends on what life you're trying to live. When I first moved here I was probably making 2k/mo, but I lived in an apartment with four people, my car was paid for and I only had a cell phone bill. You start with how much your job is going to pay you a month, set aside 25-30% for housing and go from there (some folks spend waaaay more of their budget for housing which is why they stay poor). You'll need a car, too, and car insurance is expensive as sh!t. If you end up living near a bus stop, you can do that, too.

If you don't like clubbing, what else is there to do? I hate clubbing. Never did that, and I've lived here forever. There's so many things to do here that it's overwhelming. Beach, SM Pier, hiking, so many great restaurants, museums out the wazoo, music venues out the wazoo, sports events, like on and on. You can look this up online. It's too much to list.

What's the dating/marriage scene like for Black females? If you're into that kind of thing, it's fine. But keep in mind the entertainment industry is this town, so there are superficial assholes everywhere. But there's cool folks, too. What will help is getting yourself into a good social group when you come here that can show you the ropes and you'll have a good base of friends that can steer you in the right direction. (Incidentally, what industry are you in? If it's not entertainment then you should be fine.) Also, contrary to what some would have you believe, there ARE Black guys here that date Black women. But you have to be prepared for the ones that don't. Be open to white dudes. There are a lot here that love us, although I've only gone that route once. (All my relationships have been with Black dudes otherwise, and two marriage proposals came from it. I was the one that couldn't do it.).

For the love of God, are there any affordable apartments anywhere? Yes, just depends, again, on how you're trying to live. I've always lived in the Valley and wouldn't live elsewhere (unless I won the lottery, then I'm moving to Beverly Park :arrogant:). But again, what's affordable depends on how much you're making. Go to losangeles.craigslist.com and look at the For Rent places there. It should give you an idea. If you don't see anything affordable look into getting a roommate/s. That's listed on there as well.

Still, though, don't come here. :island:

ETA: I wish you'd posted you didn't wanna live in LA before I wrote out this looooong aaaasssss reeeessssspooooonse. :eyeroll:

#FuckYoCouch

MrsRobertDeNiro

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
99,993 2,635 815
Alleybux
I can't believe you guys are telling her she has to be thin or non-white to find a good black man smh.

OP, like my post so I can remember to thoroughly answer your questions tomorrow and refer you to a similar thread posted about a month ago that have tons of answers for you.

Harleen Quinzel

Psychotic B!tch
Reaction score
Reactions
7,336 330 321
Alleybux
Where do the Black people live? Everywhere especially the inner city
How much should the salary be so people can pay their bills? google it
If you don't like clubbing, what else is there to do? Hiking, beach, go kart, paintball, snowboarding, skiing, off roading, wine tasting, drinking, bars, concerts (coachella), everything there is to do in other cities
What's the dating/marriage scene like for Black females? I cant speak for black females only myself. Not looking for the moment.
For the love of God, are there any affordable apartments anywhere? NOPE!
Go to TEXAS!:arrogant:

DontTellItAll

OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
58,991 833 379
Alleybux
I can't believe you guys are telling her she has to be thin or non-white to find a good black man smh.

OP, like my post so I can remember to thoroughly answer your questions tomorrow and refer you to a similar thread posted about a month ago that have tons of answers for you.

I don't recall anyone mentioning a specific shade in order for the OP to find a good black man, but let's be real......Many men (not just black), are all about the female physique and here in Cali thin, yet shapely is in. I was born and raised here so I know of whence I speak. It is definitely not impossible to find a good black man here, but many are definitely about the female form.

meache

Jophiel
Reaction score
Reactions
8,374 1,260 1,579
Alleybux
If anyone is upset because they don't like the negative stereotypes, get over it ASAP. Many of the same fonts talk sh!t about people from the south all the time. If you can't take it, then don't dish it out. Besides, Cali is expensive and there are Black folks there that are determined to breed the black out of their future bloodlines. Earthquakes are also a problem because the big one is going to come and I don't want to be there when it hits.
I'm not on LSA 24/7. Therefore, I'm not aware of other threads that have been made about this same topic because I never planned on moving to Cali anyway. People make threads about traveling/moving, so ignore this thread if you're tired of it.

Once again, if you don't want me and other folks to move there, you better pray that we find good jobs somewhere else. I will appreciate it because I don't want to go over there.

a la balenciaga

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
48,151 4,544 448
Alleybux
Where do the Black people live? culver city, long beach, Baldwin hills, Altadena..all over. Cali is well diverse.
How much should the salary be so people can pay their bills? $60k +
If you don't like clubbing, what else is there to do? Museums, theme parks, live tv tapings, hiking, surfing etc.
What's the dating/marriage scene like for Black females? l.a. its all about "looks"
For the love of God, are there any affordable apartments anywhere? Yes! There are plenty of affordable studio/apts. the rent for a 1bedroom apt ranges between 1,050-1,400. You might find cheaper ones in cities like Pasadena, long beach, Cerritos, la Palma, cypress. Check out apartments.com

Reaction score
Reactions
13,182 32 15
Alleybux
you want answers but you're being as asshole about something you clearly know nothing about...I was gonna give serious answers but forget it I don't want you in my state...

*exits thread*

Sara Shahi

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
13,706 356 177
Alleybux
Nah. They're telling the truth. I live in Cali. Expensive as hell and all people do besides club and go to the beach is go out to eat and hike. Unless you live in LA or somewhere with lots of museums and cultural activities. And if you don't have a car, ain't sh!t to do but workout.

Plumbus

Lady Lazarus
Reaction score
Reactions
154,610 5,781 4,839
Alleybux
Yep

I've been living here for over 8 yrs, what the hell are you talking about? Visiting here is different then living here, boo!

You better have money and be fit if you want to have a good time here. 'Cause nothing here ain't cheap!

If I was you I would NOT move here. You're better off in the butthole of Kentucky.

Nah. They're telling the truth. I live in Cali. Expensive as hell and all people do besides club and go to the beach is go out to eat and hike. Unless you live in LA or somewhere with lots of museums and cultural activities. And if you don't have a car, ain't sh!t to do but workout.

Nah, the OP is being salty as hell. Let her dumbass come here and be in for a rude-awakening.

How are you going to ask people that live here what it's like to be here and get upset at the answers? :bulgy-eyes:

Gurl bye.

SeaBreeze562

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
9,424 107 52
Alleybux
Girl DONT COME HERE lol. We (the black people here) trying to leave

mscarsonca

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
7,511 474 109
Alleybux
Please there are natural hair places everywhere.
Black people meet anywhere especially jazz concerts
Rent is not that bad but expect to pay about 1200 minimum.
I have lived here all my life and people are friendly if you are friendly.

mscarsonca

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
7,511 474 109
Alleybux
I love LA Live and concerts. Join a church with a singles club. Volunteer and you will meet people.

enchanted

Fall is Beautiful
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
345,871 13,202 10,053
Alleybux

You don't have to live in a black neighborhood in LA if you don't want to. Long Beach, Crenshaw, Watts, Baldwin Hills, Miracle Mile area are some places. Mind you, there far away from places you might want to work.

[/QUOTE]

You need to calculate what your current bills are and go from there. Believe it or not, there are affordable apartments within the city of LA. I wouldn't use CL. All you gotta do is walk up and down the streets you want to live on, go inside and inquire about vacancies.

just like it is for females of other races.

What is affordable to you?

mscarsonca

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
7,511 474 109
Alleybux
I have friends who live in those cities and they complain about nothing to do.