Quantcast

Relocation to DC [master thread]

FebruaryAmor

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
74,600 2,384 362
Alleybux
If I were to leave DC, I’d go to Philadelphia. Despite the crap that city gets, I believe it’s underrated af. I really enjoyed my time visiting there. In fact, Philly was my top two choices of relocation, but I ultimately chose DC because something about the city clicked with me. I still like it here, because there’s always something to do and the job market is very strong here. I can agree, however, that the transplants can be a bit on the stuck up side. The natives I’ve met are pretty chill and down to earth.

everything you mentioned about DC is 100%. It’s great for a fun time but not really a long time very transient

Philly is an interesting location. mid size city along 95 quick access between major cities.

what is the job market and rent like? Would you say it’s single black female friendly ? Is it comparable to dc vibes in terms of the “scene” / social activities ?

ShandraF

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
107,348 6,713 1,285
Alleybux
everything you mentioned about DC is 100%. It’s great for a fun time but not really a long time very transient

Philly is an interesting location. mid size city along 95 quick access between major cities.

what is the job market and rent like? Would you say it’s single black female friendly ? Is it comparable to dc vibes in terms of the “scene” / social activities ?
hav u thought about connecticut? close to new york and cleaner than jersey lol

TheLetterD

Fourth Letter of the Alphabet
Reaction score
Reactions
212,164 2,202 476
Alleybux

For my career field, the pay in Philly is comparable to DC, but DC tends to pay a bit more. The rents in Philly are cheaper, surprisingly, given that Philly is bigger than DC. Now as far as dating goes, LSA tends to say that the dating scene in Philly is not it. Lol, but for a city of its size, I don't doubt that there's tons to do. I mean, Philly is the 6th largest city in the US by population and has everything a Northeastern city would have. What I like about Philly is that it's not as fast paced as NYC, but it's still very dense and urban. But I'm also a history lover and I love the historical significance Philly had during the American Revolution. I know visiting a city is different than living in it, but I think I would enjoy Philly. I have a strong network of friends there already.

houston10

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
15,757 186 67
Alleybux
If I were to leave DC, I’d go to Philadelphia. Despite the crap that city gets, I believe it’s underrated af. I really enjoyed my time visiting there. In fact, Philly was my top two choices of relocation, but I ultimately chose DC because something about the city clicked with me. I still like it here, because there’s always something to do and the job market is very strong here. I can agree, however, that the transplants can be a bit on the stuck up side. The natives I’ve met are pretty chill and down to earth.

Philly is definitely underrated., but folks are starting to realize it’s actually the best value on the East Coast. Philadelphia is going through tremendous gentrification currently, housing is no longer cheap. It’s a way bigger city than DC, it feels like a mini NYC.

I’ve been in DMV area for 4 years now and I’ve come to the conclusion I may get stuck here because of the job market. Remote jobs are becoming more and more difficult to find. The federal government is slowly calling workers back into the office, so there’s that.

I feel like the sweet spot is living close to DC without actually living in the city. Places like Downtown Silver Spring, Bethesda, Arlington, Hyattsville, Alexandria.

Dating sucks because the transplants and even some natives have egos out of this world.

JessicaL

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
255,192 7,357 3,645
Alleybux
Super random. I’m not a wings person & never get them but I got the smoked ones from DCity Smokehouse on Uber eats

IMG_3990.gif

Everything else was decent but I would go back for those

What has been everyone’s experience with the food here so far?

TheLetterD

Reaction score
Reactions
212,164 2,202 476
Alleybux
Super random. I’m not a wings person & never get them but I got the smoked ones from DCity Smokehouse on Uber eats

View attachment 5115175

Everything else was decent but I would go back for those

What has been everyone’s experience with the food here so far?
The Maryland and Virginia suburbs have way better food variety than DC. That isn't to say the DC food scene is bad, but if you tend to like more ethnic food, then the suburbs are the way to go. Plus, eating out in DC lately is annoying because of the "service charge/fee" they put on everything. I'd rather they just increase prices than to nickel and dime us to death. Smh

JessicaL

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
255,192 7,357 3,645
Alleybux
The Maryland and Virginia suburbs have way better food variety than DC. That isn't to say the DC food scene is bad, but if you tend to like more ethnic food, then the suburbs are the way to go. Plus, eating out in DC lately is annoying because of the "service charge/fee" they put on everything. I'd rather they just increase prices than to nickel and dime us to death. Smh

The Peruvian food in Virginia is so good. Just saw a tweet that said Baltimore has way better food than DC. I believe it and I haven’t even been yet lol

TheLetterD

Reaction score
Reactions
212,164 2,202 476
Alleybux
The Peruvian food in Virginia is so good. Just saw a tweet that said Baltimore has way better food than DC. I believe it and I haven’t even been yet lol
I didn't get to experience the Baltimore food scene, as I only visited for my birthday briefly, but I would like to go back. I love that Maryland's largest city is so close and it's such a different vibe. Baltimore just needs better leadership, because it has so much potential as a city, but I believe its reputation of it being such a high crime and violent city holds it back.

PrincessNeice

Essence on Chanel No. 5
Reaction score
Reactions
48,983 611 163
Alleybux
Fun! Exciting for you.

I used to live on H Street before moving to the Navy Yard area....H Street is good but there are some parts that are sketchy. Once you get to the intersection of Bladensburg and Benning Road, be careful. H street BEFORE you get to that intersection is okay. Be mindful that the area is super busy and alot of people go out over there. I used to live in Anthology across the street from Whole Foods.

NOMA is a nice area too. SW Waterfront too...are you close to The Wharf? District Wharf

You still in Navy Yard? I’d love to hear about your experience

TheLetterD

Reaction score
Reactions
212,164 2,202 476
Alleybux
I've now been in DC for a year and 2 months! I'm still adjusting to living on my own and paying rent and utilities for the first time. However, I have made friends and grew my professional network. I'm still exploring the DMV as a whole, but I'm still glad that I made this move. This thread helped a bunch!

Last edited:

StayinSane

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
2,499 316 274
Alleybux
I've now been in DC for a year and 2 months! I'm still adjusting to living on my own and paying rent and utilities for the first time. However, I have made friends and grew my professional network. I'm still exploring the DMV as a whole, but I'm still glad that I made this move. This thread helped a bunch!
How did you end up making friends there? Through work, meetups?

TheLetterD

Reaction score
Reactions
212,164 2,202 476
Alleybux
How did you end up making friends there? Through work, meetups?
Coworkers first, but I’m also in an NPHC/D9 organization, so that helped. But I also went out to different events, happy hours, and just generally doing things I enjoyed and went from there.

naomi81

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Reactions
20 4 1
Alleybux
I love DMV, I live in Maryland though If you dont like DC just try Maryland is right next door.

baby muva

DC's Original City Girl
Reaction score
Reactions
40,214 2,759 711
Alleybux
Baltimore has the best food in this region hands down and I’m there every weekend.