Quantcast

Remember When Nia Peeples Hosted Her Own Dance Show?

LaGrandeDame

Where Surry County Lives
Reaction score
Reactions
244,031 6,062 2,385
Alleybux
I feel as if I'm the only one who remembers that

existed (and enjoyed it).

Ditto when it comes to this song (which came out around the same time):

SammyK

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
89,978 4,895 492
Alleybux
Tell me why I was looking at clips of this show last week!

I believe Arsenio produced it and it was on after Arsenio on Friday's. Seems they wanted to do a LA version of Club MTV. I still want to know the tea on Nia and singer Howard Hewitt. In an interview years ago she said she left their marriage with the clothes on her back took her son and never went back.

a08e509c7d0e70f72e7b64302c9b16b9.jpg
actress-nia-peeples-singer-howard-hewett-and-son-christopher-hewett-picture-id156133021
howard-with-nia-and-thier-son1.jpg

Last edited:

LaGrandeDame

Where Surry County Lives
Reaction score
Reactions
244,031 6,062 2,385
Alleybux
I honestly believed that the Arsenio lead in, the cool set, fun dancers, and the hot artists of the day would've earned it at least a couple of seasons.

Tell me why I was looking a clips of this show last week!

I believe Arsenio produced it and it was on after Arsenio on Friday's. Seems they wanted to do a LA version of Club MTV. I still want to know the tea on Nia and singer Howard Hewitt. In an interview years ago she said she left their marriage with the clothes on her back took her son and never went back.

actress-nia-peeples-singer-howard-hewett-and-son-christopher-hewett-picture-id156133021

I've never gotten the full story on these two, but the mutual disdain for that man by many women (some of which do no even know one another) is enough to have me believe that that marriage was, indeed, toxic.

Tina Stardust

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
140,592 7,156 2,770
Alleybux
Tell me why I was looking at clips of this show last week!

Yep..I liked this show and I would wear a few of those club fashions today (lol)

Yep, she was married to Howard Hewitt. He's pretty toxic with women. I don't know if hes abuser or what it is, but women want to get far away from him.

I don't know what he did to Jody Watley, but she absolutely refuses to perform with him or ever be around him again. I hate it, because we will never see the original Shalimar all together on one stage again.

The only reason she did the video for Babyface song, the remix of "For the Lover in You", because she had strict rules to not be filmed with Howard Hewitt.

I wish I knew the tea too!

SammyK

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
89,978 4,895 492
Alleybux
I honestly believed that the Arsenio lead in, the cool set, fun dancers, and the hot artists of the day would've earned it at least a couple of seasons.

I've never gotten the full story on these two, but the mutual disdain for that man by many women (some of which do no even know one another) is enough to have me believe that that marriage was, indeed, toxic.

i agree, I think it never really found its audience and should have been given another year, especially with Arsenio being such a hot show at the time.

Howard must be a piece of work because it seems hes been married like 5 times and I think I read on here he was high on cocaine and tried to rape Jody Watley that's why she refuses to do a Shalamar reunion! Can't believe everything you read but where's there's smoke there fire!!

Tina Stardust

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
140,592 7,156 2,770
Alleybux
i agree, I think it never really found its audience and should have been given another year, especially with Arsenio being such a hot show at the time.

Howard must be a piece of work because it seems hes been married like 5 times and I think I read on here he was high on cocaine and tried to rape Jody Watley that's why she refuses to do a Shalamar reunion! Can't believe everything you read but where's there's smoke there fire!!

Wooooow...is that the reason?!!? I knew it was something serious, because she refuses to do anything with him.

Last edited:

LaGrandeDame

Where Surry County Lives
Reaction score
Reactions
244,031 6,062 2,385
Alleybux

I wonder what the show was missing because it had the right ingredients.

Unless Jody spells out her issue with Howard, we'll never truly know. The fact that she insisted on shooting separately in that Babyface/LL video (back when both were flying high on the charts) instead of relenting speaks volumes.

Tina Stardust

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
140,592 7,156 2,770
Alleybux
Yes girl! I think the thread is gone now, but Jody has no love for Howard at all!

I follow Jody Whatley's FB page and back a few years ago, she was very active with it. Anytime anybody mentioned HH, she would go OFF.

Last edited:

SammyK

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
89,978 4,895 492
Alleybux
I follow her FB page and back a few years ago, she was very active with it. Anytime anybody mentioned HH, she would go OFF.

Lord! You would think all these years later she would dismiss or be diplomatic about their relationship but he must have done her wrong for the sake of her son seems she doesn't say that he was abusive, drug addicted etc...

Tina Stardust

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
140,592 7,156 2,770
Alleybux
Lord! You would think all these years later she would dismiss or be diplomatic about their relationship but he must have done her wrong for the sake of her son seems she doesn't say that he was abusive, drug addicted etc...

I was talking about Jody Whatley, not Nia Peebles.

MelloFello

Black On Both Sides
Reaction score
Reactions
72,364 927 159
Alleybux
Yep~Yep, I remember this show......I think it came on right after the Arsenio Hall show. Cool show, didn't last long though.

Sprite97

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
129,701 3,646 5,513
Alleybux
Yes. I remember this show. I liked it.

Also, I always thought that Nia Peeples resembled Valerie Bertinelli.

ladygiagirl

MVP
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
3,106 191 36
Alleybux

I remember a print interview with Arsenio not long after the cancellation was announced where he pretty much confirmed it was his decision to end it. I think maybe having it on a half hour at midnight every weeknight was a bit much, for broadcast syndication at least. There was a one hour "weekend remix" (really two episodes that aired during the week spliced together) that aired right after the Saturday night Arsenio "Weekend Jam" rerun in addition to the regular show, and I thought maybe having it be just a new hour-long after the Arsenio Saturday night rerun would've been the way to go, or maybe just a weekly hour on Fridays. The target teen/young adult audience wasn't really going to go out of their way to watch that type of show every weeknight at midnight. There was a *slight* attempt at retooling a few weeks in when the awkward white boy DJ was replaced by DJ Wiz of Kid 'N Play. But I guess that didn't really move the needle any.

I always thought there might have been some bad blood/hard feelings between Arsenio and Nia after the cancellation because when she released "Street of Dreams" and the album accompanying it (which were both a little bit after The Party Machine ended), she didn't appear on the show to promote it, and she was someone who did appear on his show a few times even before The Party Machine happened. She did ultimately perform a ballad single from the same album on his show many months later, but it was kind of notable and may telling that she didn't get any couch time, when Arsenio was known to always get a chat in with his musical guests. I remember tuning in to that episode to see how The Party Machine subject would be addressed, but to my surprise, there was no talk aside from the token hug and thanks after she was done performing.

deep1

Serial Thanker
Reaction score
Reactions
161,616 5,572 5,243
Alleybux

Never really heard that one, that's a pretty heavy accusation so not sure of the source, so can't verify.

I do remember straight from her mouth, he kept making her feel worthless saying she couldn't sing, etc.

He was pretty full of himself.

Reaction score
Reactions
2,271 174 12
Alleybux

You're right about can't believe everything you read. I've never heard of anyone mentioning Howard ever using drugs let alone trying to rape Jody. That's crazy! Wow, I don't know where that rumor came from.

The real story - Their feud was business related. Howard had said that Jody wasn't talented enough and wouldn't be anything without Shalamar. Which he has now apologized to her for and admitted that he was wrong. Jody has accepted Howard's apology but still has no interest in working with Howard or Shalamar. Also Jody felt that she was treated badly in the group by management, Howard and Jeffery. That Howard was making side deals with the management and doing solo shows not including her and Jeffery. Then management gave Howard a raise. Plus Jody feels that both Howard and Jeffery told a lot of lies on her. Not to mention Jeffery who was Jody's boyfriend at the time was verbally and physically abusive to her. Then ended up marring Stephanie Mills instead of her....There was no drugs or attempted rape involved.

As far as Howard's wives and girlfriends. Howard cheated on all of them. He even said it himself on his Unsung that he's always had problems with being faithful. He was a big hoe to say the least. That's the story!

Click on link :emoji_point_down: for more details from Jody.

Jody Watley Speaks Out. An Open Letter To Those It May Concern.

Click on link :emoji_point_down: for more details from Howard.

Singer Howard Hewett Opens Up About His Personal Life and Career

Screenshot_2021-03-14 Jody Watley Speaks Out An Open Letter To Those It May Concern (1).png

Screenshot_2021-03-14 Jody Watley Speaks Out An Open Letter To Those It May Concern (2).pngc.png

Screenshot_2021-03-14 Jody Watley Speaks Out An Open Letter To Those It May Concern .pngb.png

TootieRamsey

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
12,571 525 12
Alleybux
Yes, the Party Machine, lol. It came on after Arsenio in Coastal Virginia. I remember seeing the Stereo MCs on the show a couple of years before "Connected" came out.

tara38

Proud ****
Reaction score
Reactions
6,073 179 45
Alleybux
You're right about can't believe everything you read. I've never heard of anyone mentioning Howard ever using drugs let alone trying to rape Jody. That's crazy! Wow, I don't know where that rumor came from.

The real story - Their feud was business related. Howard had said that Jody wasn't talented enough and wouldn't be anything without Shalamar. Which he has now apologized to her for and admitted that he was wrong. Jody has accepted Howard's apology but still has no interest in working with Howard or Shalamar. Also Jody felt that she was treated badly in the group by management, Howard and Jeffery. That Howard was making side deals with the management and doing solo shows not including her and Jeffery. Then management gave Howard a raise. Plus Jody feels that both Howard and Jeffery told a lot of lies on her. Not to mention Jeffery who was Jody's boyfriend at the time was verbally and physically abusive to her. Then ended up marring Stephanie Mills instead of her....There was no drugs or attempted rape involved.

As far as Howard's wives and girlfriends. Howard cheated on all of them. He even said it himself on his Unsung that he's always had problems with being faithful. He was a big hoe to say the least. That's the story!

Click on link :emoji_point_down: for more details from Jody.

Jody Watley Speaks Out. An Open Letter To Those It May Concern.

Click on link :emoji_point_down: for more details from Howard.

Singer Howard Hewett Opens Up About His Personal Life and Career

View attachment 2395915

View attachment 2395921

View attachment 2395925

He lied an awful lot in that interview. Been married four times, Howard. The second, Mari Molina, took the rap for the drugs and went to prison. She’s now married to Sydney Justin, the lead singer of the last configuration of Shalamar and now lead singer of The Miracles.