Quantcast

Remembering Fannie Lou Hamer Who Told The DNC That She Was ‘Sick and Tired of Being Sick and Tired’

sugar water

[ ʙᴀᴘ ᴛᴏ ᴛʜᴇ ʙᴏɴᴇ ]
Reaction score
Reactions
37,671 1,687 69
Alleybux
1*_EWexq0NL0LbDX77G9TubA.jpeg

Civil rights leader Fannie Lou Hamer bore witness to the violence of Jim Crow and demanded inclusion of black delegates in the Democratic Party. (Afro American Newspapers/Gado/Getty Images)

On August 22, 1964, Fannie Lou Hamer delivered arguably the most significant speech of her political career. The fiery civil rights activist known for her iconic line, “I’m sick and tired of being sick and tired,” spoke before a televised audience at the 1964 Democratic National Convention (DNC), held in Atlantic City, New Jersey.

She had traveled all the way from Mississippi on behalf of the Mississippi Freedom Democratic Party (MFDP) — an organization that was established in April 1964 to challenge the all-white Mississippi delegation to the DNC. Her televised speech, delivered before millions, addressed two central issues that remain relevant in contemporary black political discourse: voter suppression and state-sanctioned violence.

Born in 1917 in Montgomery County, Mississippi, Hamer was the granddaughter of slaves and worked as a sharecropper for much of her life. In 1962, activists in the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee (SNCC) held a voter registration in Hamer’s hometown of Ruleville, Mississippi. She was surprised to learn that black people had been granted voting rights according to the US Constitution — a fact that white supremacists worked hard to shield from black Mississippians. When SNCC members asked for volunteers to register to vote, Famer jumped at the opportunity. “The only thing they could do to me was to kill me,” she later remarked, “and it seemed like they’d been trying to do that a little bit at a time ever since I could remember.”

In 1964, Hamer joined a group of 64 delegates to the DNC to petition the convention’s credentials committee for four seats on the convention floor. In her memorable speech, Hamer described the scare tactics and violence she and other African Americans experienced in Mississippi and their lack of access to the Democratic Party.

First, she addressed the issue of black voting rights. She told the story of how when she went down to the courthouse in Indianola, Mississippi to register to vote in 1962, she was confronted by one roadblock after another. When she finally succeeded, she returned home, where the owner of the plantation on which she worked as a sharecropper, gave her an ultimatum: “If you don’t go down and withdraw your registration, you will have to leave.” And leave she did.

In her 1964 speech before the DNC, Hamer went on to describe the persistent acts of racial violence black men and women faced on a daily basis in the Jim Crow South. She told the stories of shots being fired at the homes of those who supported her stance on voting. And then she told the story of her own experiences with state-sanctioned violence.

In 1963, she and a group of other activists got off a bus in Winona, Mississippi to grab a bite to eat. They had been traveling back home after attending a voter’s workshop in Charleston, South Carolina. To their dismay, but not their surprise, Hamer and her colleagues encountered resistance from the owners of the restaurant who made it clear that blacks were not welcome. Hamer returned to the bus but then decided to re-emerge when she noticed police officers shoving her friends into police cars. When a white officer grabbed her and started kicking her, fear rose within her — she knew full well that this encounter would not end well.

Later at the police station, officers, aided by prisoners, unleashed a brutal beating on Hamer. The beating would have a permanent impact on Hamer’s physical health. As she later explained, “They beat me till my body was hard, till I couldn’t bend my fingers or get up when they told me to. That’s how I got this blood clot in my left eye — the sight’s nearly gone now. And my kidney was injured from the blows they gave me in the back.”

By recounting this painful story at the 1964 DNC, Hamer sought to shed light on the challenges black men and women in Mississippi faced in their struggles for citizenship rights. Similar to many other black women activists of the Civil Rights-Black Power era, including Rosa Parks and Joan Little, Hamer understood the power of public testimony in the fight for the rights and dignity of black people.

The 1964 DNC speech was certainly an opportunity for Hamer to demand the inclusion of black delegates in the Party. But, even more, it was an opportunity to empower black men and women and to send the message that silence in the face of degradation and violence was simply not an option. This was a powerful message — so powerful in fact that President Lyndon Johnson intentionally interrupted Hamer’s testimony to give an impromptu press conference. The entire speech later aired on the evening news.

Fifty-five years later, black men and women across the nation continue to face many of the same challenges Hamer described. Despite the political gains of the Civil Rights Movement — most notably, the passage of the Voting Rights Act and Civil Rights Act — racism and discrimination persist in all aspects of American society. North Carolina’s voting laws — which were recently struck down — mirror many of the earlier efforts to discriminate against black men and women and thereby limit their right to vote. Moreover, the systemic problem of police violence and brutality in black communities across the nation mirror the pervasive acts of lynchings of the Jim Crow era. Today, black Americans die at the hands of police at a rate that is almost equivalent to the number of documented lynchings during the early 20th century.

As she reflected on her own painful experiences and the experiences of other black men and women, Fannie Lou Hamer could not help but to “question America.” “Is this America,” she asked as tears welled up in her eyes, “the land of the free and the home of the brave, where we have to sleep with our telephones off of the hooks because our lives be threatened daily, because we want to live as decent human beings, in America?” These crucial words, delivered by a passionate civil rights activist at the 1964 Democratic National Convention, shook the nation to its core — as they should now.

Keisha N. Blain, Ph.D. is assistant professor of History at the University of Iowa and co-editor of Charleston Syllabus: Readings on Race, Racism, and Racial Violence (University of Georgia Press, 2016). She is one of the co-developers of #Charlestonsyllabus, a crowdsourced reading list on Twitter relating to the history of racial violence. Blain’s research has been featured on CSPAN and her writing has appeared in The Huffington Post, The Feminist Wire, and Public Books. Follow her on Twitter @KeishaBlain.

ForRealDoe?

PROUD BLACK AMERICAN
Reaction score
Reactions
66,869 5,518 13,393
Alleybux
Our history is so rich and admirable with so many heroes that we can be proud of. What makes our heroes so unique is that given our place in the world, they were pretty insignificant, unremarkable people who were brave enough to do incredibly significant, remarkable things.

We been bad.:emoji_sunglasses:

We are not a trend.

Too timeless to be a trend.

O Noe

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
27,289 1,057 1,321
Alleybux
I read stories like this and cry...Mississippi Got Damn...hateful state that treated black folks like we weren’t human, stole so much farmland from those black Mississippi farmers it’s a damn travesty!! I cannot believe reparations is discussed as if it’s such a hard pill to swallow...it’s in black and white how rotten this government was to our ancestors, it infuriates me to think of the sh!t they had to deal with every damn day. My mom was born and raised in a Alabama, grew up seeing those hideous colored and whites signs...her uncle was beaten so bad for applying to law school! They had free reign to do whatever they pleased... you damn right America owes the descendants of slaves LAND and money... all the what if’s, lost and stolen legacies... it’s enough to make you wanna holler!!

curiousfind

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
41,943 1,265 484
Alleybux
Fannie lou Hamer is that lady. I hated how she was beaten in the police station. In a lot of ways her spirit is what's needed now because she questioned America in one of the most brutal times. A Force...honor to her great efforts to speak truth to the establishment.

BrownSkin_Girl

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
93,204 977 164
Alleybux
Ancestor Fannie does not get the credit that she deserves. That's something that I always take issue with when we discuss our history very seldom do we highlight the fact that so many of our accomplishments are literally on the backs of poor and working class Black people. Their work and efforts are often erased. Ms. Fannie was a sharecropper, a woman, and dark-skinned from the rural south her story deserves to be told just like everyone else's

Last edited:

Cosmogram

In My Own League
Reaction score
Reactions
100,906 1,817 1,392
Alleybux
Black Women were something else back during those days. Just Godly and Earth didn't deserve them.

Respect.

Tall Tee

You’ll understand it all better by and by
Reaction score
Reactions
25,251 595 89
Alleybux
OP come through! I love her!

Every single Black American should know who Fannie Lou Hamer is and the significance of what she did for ALL of us--not just our southern brethren.

I actually get mad at the amount of people who don't know who she is. Love her!

curiousfind

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
41,943 1,265 484
Alleybux
Not only Fannie Lou Hamer they don't speak of Septimer Clark, Ida B. Wells, Ella Baker, Gloria Richardson the list goes on. Hell these women traveled state to state managing the message of human rights and could have easily become casualties of that time.

These ladies were teaching how to protest, teaching how to read and respond to issues and writing about the maltreatment against blacks. They were the kind of women that showed up for business not tickets to galas, concerts or to be seen job hobbing. They were about the people business.

BrownSkin_Girl

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
93,204 977 164
Alleybux
Not only Fannie Lou Hamer they don't speak of Septimer Clark, Ida B. Wells, Ella Baker, Gloria Richardson the list goes on. Hell these women traveled state to state managing the message of human rights and could have easily become casualties of that time.

These ladies were teaching how to protest, teaching how to read and respond to issues and writing about the maltreatment against blacks. They were the kind of women that showed up for business not tickets to galas, concerts or to be seen job hobbing. They were about the people business.
giphy.gif

Cosmogram

In My Own League
Reaction score
Reactions
100,906 1,817 1,392
Alleybux

Even in our community when we talk about history, we only talk about the MEN. No disrespect to MLK, Malcolm X, Medgar Evars, Frederik Douglass, etc., but Black Women have to get credit for what we've endured as well.

Healthy4Life

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
166,282 8,283 152
Alleybux
We remember Fannie Lou Hamer today.... she died on this day but, her mark in this world is not forgotten.

fannie-lou-hamer-quotes-celebrate-women-june-6-fannie-lou-hamer-known-for-coining-the.jpg

hamer-poster.jpg

Fannie Lou Hamer (1917-1977) was a civil rights activist whose passionate depiction of her own suffering in a racist society helped focus attention on the plight of African-Americans throughout the South.

In 1964, working with the Student Non-Violent Coordinating Committee (SNCC), Hamer helped organize the 1964 Freedom Summer African American voter registration drive in her native Mississippi. At the Democratic National Convention later that year, she was part of the Mississippi Freedom Democratic Party, an integrated group of activists who openly challenged the legality of Mississippi’s all-white, segregated delegation.

Born Fannie Lou Townsend on October 6, 1917, in Montgomery County, Mississippi. The daughter of sharecroppers, Hamer began working the fields at an early age. Her family struggled financially, and often went hungry.

Married to Perry “Pap” Hamer in 1944, Fannie Lou continued to work hard just to get by. In the summer of 1962, however, she made a life-changing decision to attend a protest meeting. She met civil rights activists there who were there to encourage African Americans to register to vote. Hamer became active in helping with the voter registration efforts.

Hamer dedicated her life to the fight for civil rights, working for the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee (SNCC). This organization was comprised mostly of African American students who engaged in acts of civil disobedience to fight racial segregation and injustice in the South. These acts often were met with violent responses by angry whites. During the course of her activist career, Hamer was threatened, arrested, beaten, and shot at. But none of these things ever deterred her from her work. In 1964, Hamer helped found the Mississippi Freedom Democratic Party, which was established in opposition to her state’s all-white delegation to that year’s Democratic convention.

upload_2021-3-14_12-36-29.png

images

Melanated9

MVP
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
3,767 132 128
Alleybux
I always admired Fannie Lou Hamer I remember watching The Eyes on the Prize Documentary series and learning about her. She truly wasn't afraid to take a stand for what was right. Her story needs to be told more.