Quantcast

Renouncing feminism for womanism

herbalmintea

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
171,787 7,962 1,970
Alleybux
I've become very frustrated with the feminist movement over the last few years with the lack of empathy towards black women's issues by white women (and non-black women of color) I'm starting to care less and less whenever a white woman achieves something. Why should I care? Just because a white woman benefits from something doesn't mean women of color will also benefit from it. In a world that denigrates black women on a daily basis for being who we are and talking about that denigration (i.e. Amandla Stenberg), I feel like it's my duty as a black woman to focus on empowering and uplifting black women because Lord knows we need it. We don't have much solidarity from others including black men. It's just gotten to a point where enough is enough.

REM

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
11,466 342 186
Alleybux
I don't think adding a new category/label will make the difference.

gesamtkunsTWERK

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
24,808 213 118
Alleybux

"New" category?

Womanism dates back as far as the 70s with Ms. Alice Walker, honey. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Womanism

And even earlier, other black writers and activists have been retroactively gathered under the term womanism because their work specifically involves the unique plight of Black women, the racism of mainstream women's rights / feminist movements, and the sexism within black freedom efforts / CRM. Many would call Sojourner Truth's 1851 speech "Ain't I a Woman" an act of womanism.

KELIS

Little Star
Reaction score
Reactions
6,220 130 34
Alleybux
Yup! I'm only here for black women, not even really WOC.

Smoke Screen

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
108,064 1,454 704
Alleybux
Womanism is not new.

Op, I did this a while ago. White feminists don't give a fµck about anything other than themselves. They won't say anything if you happen to benefit from helping them support their causes, but they will not help you fight for yours.

Sanitamuse

Escaping rough side of the mountain...
Reaction score
Reactions
34,938 710 380
Alleybux

Womanism is not a new term. Alice Walker, the author, was one of the first black women to use the term. IIRC, she said something along the lines of, "Feminism is to womanism what lavender is to purple".

LaGrandeDame

Where Surry County Lives
Reaction score
Reactions
243,897 6,062 2,385
Alleybux
Womanism is not new.

Op, I did this a while ago. White feminists don't give a fµck about anything other than themselves. They won't say anything if you happen to benefit from helping them support their causes, but they will not help you fight for yours.

With that said, I will always point to the 2008 election as my Come to Jesus moment. Part of me is embarrassed that it took me until my late 20s until I recognized that there was truly a difference between feminism and womanism (I used to think that the Negroes that denounced feminism were weak-minded idiots that bowed down to the patriarchy instead of recognizing that they were spot on about oyibo women's racism) and I realized that there was a movement that catered to my true female empowering values that was designed specifically for Black women.

I haven't looked back since, though I continue to side-eye the lost Negresses that delude themselves into thinking that womanism is feminism by another name.

FortunaPlus

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
228,531 10,248 4,921
Alleybux
Welcome home, Sister.
tumblr_inline_mxc20m2Pnm1ssnexs.jpg

DanaHaughton

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
12,578 11 8
Alleybux
I literally cannot even read feminism literature by white women anymore at this point in my life.

Aems

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
175,081 3,911 1,715
Alleybux
I've become very frustrated with the feminist movement over the last few years with the lack of empathy towards black women's issues by white women (and non-black women of color) I'm starting to care less and less whenever a white woman achieves something. Why should I care? Just because a white woman benefits from something doesn't mean women of color will also benefit from it. In a world that denigrates black women on a daily basis for being who we are and talking about that denigration (i.e. Amandla Stenberg), I feel like it's my duty as a black woman to focus on empowering and uplifting black women because Lord knows we need it. We don't have much solidarity from others including black men. It's just gotten to a point where enough is enough.

I'm glad you now see it for what it is. Feminists don't want equality, they want white male privilege.

REM

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
11,466 342 186
Alleybux
"New" category?

Womanism dates back as far as the 70s with Ms. Alice Walker, honey. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Womanism

And even earlier, other black writers and activists have been retroactively gathered under the term womanism because their work specifically involves the unique plight of Black women, the racism of mainstream women's rights / feminist movements, and the sexism within black freedom efforts / CRM. Many would call Sojourner Truth's 1851 speech "Ain't I a Woman" an act of womanism.

I think I worded my statement incorrectly.
I'm referring to the idea that switching labels to something different [new] isn't the core issue.
I'm beyond well aware of the term "womanism".
I do appreciate you providing insight kindly - even if I may have already known.

gesamtkunsTWERK

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
24,808 213 118
Alleybux
I think I worded my statement incorrectly.
I'm referring to the idea that switching labels to something different [new] isn't the core issue.
I'm beyond well aware of the term "womanism".
I do appreciate you providing insight kindly - even if I may have already known.

While I do believe that words and labels and organization under a term is important, in the end it's the 'organization' that matters and the work that's done underneath the term. But words help us organize.

The point of womanism isn't to do the same work under a new term, but rather to do different work. Women who are quite literally pushed out of feminism, who had/have nowhere to be recognized, found a welcome space in womanism through which their message could be heard by the people who need to hear it.

So I think we agree to the extent that just "switching labels" isn't the important part, it's what happens by those who identify with the label and the effort that goes on in that category that is ultimately substantial.

Smoke Screen

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
108,064 1,454 704
Alleybux
Don't be embarrassed. I'm in my late twenties, and had the epiphany recently. I read and studied women's studies with a focus on black women in college, but it didn't all come together until now. The real world will show you much better than anyone can tell you. Feminism was such a new concept to me, and it felt good to relate to feelings I'd had before. But learning about womanism? That was like coming home. It was the final puzzle piece. I'm still learning, but I do know that I don't fµck with white feminism or white feminists in any way, shape or form.

With that said, I will always point to the 2008 election as my Come to Jesus moment. Part of me is embarrassed that it took me until my late 20s until I recognized that there was truly a difference between feminism and womanism (I used to think that the Negroes that denounced feminism were weak-minded idiots that bowed down to the patriarchy instead of recognizing that they were spot on about oyibo women's racism) and I realized that there was a movement that catered to my true female empowering values that was designed specifically for Black women.

I haven't looked back since, though I continue to side-eye the lost Negresses that delude themselves into thinking that womanism is feminism by another name.

LaGrandeDame

Where Surry County Lives
Reaction score
Reactions
243,897 6,062 2,385
Alleybux
Don't be embarrassed. I'm in my late twenties, and had the epiphany recently. I read and studied women's studies with a focus on black women in college, but it didn't all come together until now. Feminism was such a new concept to me, and it felt good to relate to feelings I'd had before. But learning about womanism? That was like coming home. It was the final puzzle piece. I'm still learning, but I do know that I don't fµck with white feminism or white feminists in any way, shape or form.

Ditto and thank you for the kind words. Oh, and this:

The real world will show you much better than anyone can tell you.

bears repeating--especially when it comes to being a Black woman in America.

tivefur

Team Owner
Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
121,990 3,426 2,652
Alleybux
tired of all these new labels, just do something, calling urself a womanist wont do nothing, do something, that's when people will listen

not directed at u specifically, but im tired of all these titles

no im not a feminist but i believe in equal rights 4 all
tired of these white women

being a black woman nd DOING something is much more than what any feminist can do

ReclaimPurpose

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
8,485 14
Alleybux
thanks for posting this. it's very true. i've been missing the forest for the trees and so much of a source of agony in my life has been about empowering every other kind of woman except for black women under the guise of feminism, especially 'damsel-in-distress' white woman playing upon the trope of being the ideal woman and the "mean, scary black women" (bµllsh!t) being honest about the ways they are shady and abusive.

everyone should be on the look out for opportunities etc but so many of their tactics are passive-aggressive and underhanded. you are not my beauty standard, or my ideal type of anything. it's sad because even the term woman of colour was created by a black woman but nowadays every non-white woman uses it, it's like that article posted a few days ago, 'the invisibility of black women'... can't do it anymore. i let myself be momentarily sad for dealing with such sh!t but so much of it is about perception. they really are irrelevant in the grander scheme of life.

Smoke Screen

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
108,064 1,454 704
Alleybux
Can we talk about this though? The passive-aggressiveness and constantly playing the role of victim is annoying. The way they'll speak about black women is so antagonistic and fake-sad. "I really feel sorry for black women because society thinks they're unattractive and as a white woman, I am the living embodiment of those standards." "Black women don't know what it is like to be celebrated for their beauty because of this racist society."

b!tch, you're trying it.

thanks for posting this. it's very true. i've been missing the forest for the trees and so much of a source of agony in my life has been about empowering every other kind of woman except for black women under the guise of feminism, especially 'damsel-in-distress' white woman playing upon the trope of being the ideal woman and the "mean, scary black women" (bµllsh!t) being honest about the ways they are shady and abusive.

everyone should be on the look out for opportunities etc but so many of their tactics are passive-aggressive and underhanded. you are not my beauty standard, or my ideal type of anything. it's sad because even the term woman of colour was created by a black woman but nowadays every non-white woman uses it, it's like that article posted a few days ago, 'the invisibility of black women'... can't do it anymore. i let myself be momentarily sad for dealing with such sh!t but so much of it is about perception. they really are irrelevant in the grander scheme of life.

ReclaimPurpose

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
8,485 14
Alleybux
Can we talk about this though? The passive-aggressiveness and constantly playing the role of victim is annoying. The way they'll speak about black women is so antagonistic and fake-sad. "I really feel sorry for black women because society thinks they're unattractive and as a white woman, I am the living embodiment of those standards." "Black women don't know what it is like to be celebrated for their beauty because of this racist society."

b!tch, you're trying it.

right? it really made me reflect on past experiences of backhanded compliments, it comes off with that air of "oh you think you're so cute..." but then they will watch you and mimic the stylistic choices & social/political/artistic commentary that black women (& those who politically identify as women/people of colour in the loretta ross way) develop & innovate while expecting to be told how cute, stylish and perfect they are when most whitewashed media already sends that message out daily.

they want black women sidekicks, punching bags and for us to be aibeleen clark all day, "you is kind. you is smart. you is important". no, shut up.

Naimaislove

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
9,621 207 122
Alleybux
Womanism is not a new term. Alice Walker, the author, was one of the first black women to use the term. IIRC, she said something along the lines of, "Feminism is to womanism what lavender is to purple".

Hence,'the Color Purple'

Naimaislove

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
9,621 207 122
Alleybux
Are there 'Womanist' chapters, meetings, dues, conventions, codes, purpose, objectives?