Quantcast

Result of CA Prop22: Vons, Albertsons to Fire Essential Workers & Replace w/ Independent Contractors

SadSadSong

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
145,020 4,981 3,648
Alleybux
America is full of asshole sadist. Pro labor initiatives never do well on ballots because people vote against them despite it serving their own best interest. Just wait until this makes it way to more industries like UPS and Fedex.

But hey anything to make the already wealthy even more wealthy.

XQ2eFU2.jpg

sosie

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
52,490 3,312 3,934
Alleybux
Slightly off topic, why does California have a reputation for being progressive?

Pro labor initiatives never do well on ballots because people vote against them despite it serving their own best interest.

I don't think the supporters of prop 22 are working class themselves. It seems unions were vocal in their opposition to this

NO On Prop 22 Fact Sheet – California Labor Federation

I remember reading a while back (can't remember source) that voters skew towards higher income which makes sense because politicians can best campaign towards these types without ruffling feathers among donor class

F33lin1t

ISeeDeathAroundTheCorner
Reaction score
Reactions
14,204 1,579 1,916
Alleybux
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN.

Here's the part were hoo-mans act angry and hopeless. Where they moap, and groan Instead of taking practical action. Everybody in Cali should be spreading awareness of this via social media, and boycott the sh!t out of grubhub, Vons and albertson's as well. To send a message.

The power is literally with the masses.

liyahsluv23

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
84,892 2,116 1,477
Alleybux
they always have a contingency plan for either direction. damned if you do, and damned if you don't. the lesson I've learned about American politics is we must take an active role as in run for office and designing the laws we wish to see.

Moorpheus

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
48,422 5,794 6,042
Alleybux
Most unions suck up to much money and keep to many bad workers on the pay roll. It’s crazy cause UPS is Teamster and they seem to do a good job. But, look at the post office? What’s their excuse. People see that and lose faith. And then the above happens. Imagine if customers that didn’t get their Christmas stuff had a choice now? I mean everyone is working through COVID why is it that one company fails and the other successful? And the usps has been around long enough to knock out the wrinkles.

Pretty Hurts

Ebony Chick.
Reaction score
Reactions
56,114 1,827 163
Alleybux
I wish I can find the paid commercial for this prop bc it was very misleading and a lot of ppl ended up voting yes for it.

The prop was heavily flawed, especially when it came to benefits and workers comp. It was never created to protect workers. That's why I voted no.

TinaCatcha Fade

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
2,746 64 4
Alleybux
they always have a contingency plan for either direction. damned if you do, and damned if you don't. the lesson I've learned about American politics is we must take an active role as in run for office and designing the laws we wish to see.

Well said. Also, we must learn to pivot based on the course of action / policy plan

Caramel56

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
168,959 5,587 2,489
Alleybux
Just curious why did you vote yes? I'm not from Cali and this is the first time I've heard about prop 22

Reason why I voted yes was because it was supposed to help Uber and Lyft drivers to get some sort of benefits including those who drive DoorDash, Grubhub.etc. But what we could see they misled us.

cave bearer

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
33,194 1,140 381
Alleybux
I noticed the fees had gone up for door dash right after also. It's appalling. The delivery fees cost more than the food so I'm no longer using these services.

KrolbCA

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
47,151 2,086 2,553
Alleybux
I wish I can find the paid commercial for this prop bc it was very misleading and a lot of ppl ended up voting yes for it.

The prop was heavily flawed, especially when it came to benefits and workers comp. It was never created to protect workers. That's why I voted no.

THIS!

There are people all over misinforming voters with LIES that go unchecked by the LAZY media. Social media is no better.

FrontRowSeat

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
106,621 2,836 962
Alleybux
This is horrible! So many companies are moving to contract workers to avoid paying benefits. What are American people supposed to do?

Tennessee Slim

Meow meow.. Get yo own sh!t... Joi!!
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
152,705 7,163 2,219
Alleybux
Most people don’t do enough research about politics to responsibly participate in it. This is just the beginning

LaineLaine

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
12,355 338 216
Alleybux
Ugh, I voted Yes too because the commercials and pop-up ads were very misleading. I did feel like it wasn't clear to what it meant exactly for a Yes or No vote. However I asked drivers and a lot of them felt they initially started the gig job for flexibilty so that made me change my vote for Yes on election day. For the simple fact that I kept getting notifications every time I used Lyft to vote Yes should've been a red flag. I never thought this would have happened. I probably would've been better off skipping the Prop 22 voting section

FrontRowSeat

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
106,621 2,836 962
Alleybux
I noticed the fees had gone up for door dash right after also. It's appalling. The delivery fees cost more than the food so I'm no longer using these services.
Exactly, Uber eats added a small order fee recently. I canceled my order and just went and got the food myself. $9 burrito bowl and $8 delivery, no thanks!

O.o

Black Women Disproportionately @ Risk For Homicide
Reaction score
Reactions
401,375 11,864 9,185
Alleybux
Reason why I voted yes was because it was supposed to help Uber and Lyft drivers to get some sort of benefits including those who drive DoorDash, Grubhub.etc. But what we could see they misled us.
Did you read it? Did you read ABOUT it?

Voting YES was to STOP the Lyft and Uber drivers from getting any benefits!!!!

Skip to content

Working People Standing Together
NO ON PROP 22 FACT SHEET

GET THE FACTS!
What is Prop 22, the Uber/Lyft Ballot Measure?

Uber, Lyft, Instacart and Doordash wrote Proposition 22 to create a special exemption for themselves from California law that requires app-based companies to provide basic protections to their workers. Now they’re spending more than $200 million on Prop 22, the most expensive ballot measure in US history, to boost their profits by denying their drivers’ right to a minimum wage, paid sick leave and safety protections.

BACKGROUND:

• Uber, Lyft, Instacart and DoorDash paid to put Proposition 22 on the ballot. They hired lawyers to write a misleading initiative and paid political operatives millions to collect the voter signatures they needed.

• Prop 22 is a carve out in law that allows Uber and app companies to deny their drivers rights and protections like paid sick leave, workers compensation or unemployment benefits.

• Prop 22 exempts these multi-billion-dollar gig corporations from contributing to safety net programs we all need like Social Security, Medicare and Unemployment Insurance

• Prop 22 makes us all less safe by eliminating safety protections for riders and drivers and any liability these wealthy companies have to consumers.

• This measure threatens good, middle-class union jobs. If these companies succeed in buying this election, their low-pay, no-protection business model will expand in virtually every industry, leading to unprecedented job loss and a race to the bottom.

• Prop 22 ONLY applies to Uber and the app companies. It is designed to maximize their profits at the expense of taxpayers and their drivers. The measure creates a competitive advantage for giant corporations that hurts workers and small family-owned businesses.

• Current state law requires Uber and the app companies to provide their drivers with rights and protections, just like every other California business. The Attorney General recently sued them for breaking this law. You can help stop this power grab that hurts workers and taxpayers.

Prop 22 was written for app companies, by app companies — NOT for workers and our families. VOTE NO ON PROP 22
Sign up to phonebank, and make sure Californians know the truth about Prop 22. RSVP here
For NO on Prop 22 materials, contact acatsoulis@calaborfed.org or ssmith@calaborfed.org for access to our private site

NO on Prop 22 Endorsements here
THE BALLOT MEASURE:

>Rigging the Gig: How Uber, Lyft, and DoorDash’s Ballot Initiative Would Put Corporations Above the Law and Steal Wages, Benefits, and Protections from California Workers

> California’s Gig Economy Ballot Measure Fails Workers, Labor Groups Say

>Uber-Backed California Ballot Initiative “Would Create a Permanent Underclass of Workers”

> Uber, Lyft and DoorDash Pledge $90 Million to Fight Driver Legislation in California

> CA voters must stop app-company scheme to profit at workers’ expense

>California regulators say Uber, Lyft drivers are employees

>New York Times Editorial Board Tells Californians Vote “NO” on Uber, Lyft, Doordash’s November Initiative
>Los Angeles Times Editorial Board Endorsement: No on Prop. 22. It’s the wrong solution for Uber drivers and the gig economy

> Opinion: Don’t believe what Uber and Lyft claim about Prop. 22

>Uber, Lyft Give California GOP Millions While Fighting Driver Reclassification

UNEMPLOYMENT INSURANCE:
Read the report: Uber and Lyft Owe California $413 Million in Unemployment Insurance Taxes.
> Click here to download the Data Brief

MISCLASSIFICATION/STATE AND CITY LAWSUITS:
Uber and Lyft face worker misclassification lawsuit from CA Attorney General and city attorneys

San Francisco DA Chesa Boudin sues DoorDash for ‘illegal misclassification’ of workers as independent contractors

GIG WORKERS AND COVID-19:
Gig workers in San Francisco are mostly people of color and many are immigrants

blueFooterLine.png

• FIRST NAME
  • LAST NAME
  • EMAIL *
  • ZIP/POSTAL CODE *

Content developed and maintained by California Labor Federation staff, members of The Newspaper Guild-Communications
Workers of America, Local 39521

O.o

Reaction score
Reactions
401,375 11,864 9,185
Alleybux
Ugh, I voted Yes too because the commercials and pop-up ads were very misleading. I did feel like it wasn't clear to what it meant exactly for a Yes or No vote. However I asked drivers and a lot of them felt they initially started the gig job for flexibilty so that made me change my vote for Yes on election day. For the simple fact that I kept getting notifications every time I used Lyft to vote Yes should've been a red flag. I never thought this would have happened. I probably would've been better off skipping the Prop 22 voting section
You could have just READ about it!!!!

Bruhhhhhh....

O.o

Reaction score
Reactions
401,375 11,864 9,185
Alleybux
This is why public schools need to be shut down.

There's no reason why any Californian shouldn't have understood what voting YES meant.

California had some of the best labor protections in the USA.

They also have one of the worst housing crises.

What's the point of an education if you can't do a simple Google search on a ballot initiative?

What's the point of a degree without any critical thinking or reasoning skills?

sunshineboogie

General Manager
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
34,662 1,063 207
Alleybux

I was afraid something like this would happen.

I voted no. One thing I have learned is to research WHO is paying for the ads... and who is backing the Props or who is against it..

I live for Ballotpedia. they break down everything. With full text of all proposition etc... They list who pays for ads, who backs the proposition etc. The second I saw the Republican Party was sponsoring Prop 22, I knew it was going to be some bull....

Here's the pro/con list for Prop 22 but check the link for more info.
California Proposition 22, App-Based Drivers as Contractors and Labor Policies Initiative (2020) - Ballotpedia

Support

Yes on 22 - Save App-based Jobs & Services led the campaign in support of the ballot initiative.[25]

Supporters
Save App-Based Jobs & Services provided a list of supporters, which is available here.[26]

Political Parties
Unions
  • California Peace Officers Association
  • California Police Chiefs Association
  • California State Sheriffs' Association
Corporations
  • DoorDash
  • Instacart
  • Lyft
  • Postmates
  • Uber
Organizations
  • CalAsian Chamber of Commerce
  • California Black Chamber of Commerce
  • California Chamber of Commerce
  • California Farm Bureau Federation
  • California Hispanic Chambers of Commerce
  • California NAACP State Conference
  • California Small Business Association
  • California State National Action Network
  • California Taxpayers Association
  • Crime Victims United of California
  • Mothers Against Drunk Driving
  • National Black Chamber of Commerce
  • National Taxpayers Union

Opposition

No on Prop 22 led the campaign in opposition to the ballot initiative.[28][29]

Opponents
No on Prop 22 provided a list of opponents, which is available here.

Officials
Former Officials
  • Former Vice President Joe Biden (D)
  • Former U.S. Secretary of Labor Robert Reich -
Political Parties
Unions
  • American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees
  • California Labor Federation
  • California Professional Firefighters
  • California State Council of Laborers
  • California Teachers Association
  • SEIU California State Council
  • State Building and Construction Trades Council of California
  • Transport Workers Union of America
  • Unite HERE
  • United Food and Commercial Workers Western States Council
Organizations
  • ACLU of Southern California
  • California Alliance for Retired Americans
  • California League of Conservation Voters
  • Democracy for America
  • Gig Workers Rising
[/SPOILER.]

sunshineboogie

General Manager
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
34,662 1,063 207
Alleybux

There's no reason why any Californian shouldn't have understood what voting YES meant.

What's the point of an education if you can't do a simple Google search on a ballot initiative?

I agree with you. I did massive research on EVERY prop. Ballotpedia and some other websites that break it down.. see my post above.
Just like I do massive research on every candidate. This year I had extra time.........

Red Sonja

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
261,605 10,514 8,098
Alleybux
This is horrible! So many companies are moving to contract workers to avoid paying benefits. What are American people supposed to do?

This has been happening for years, they want cheapest labor to cut costs. The issue is that companies don't want value American workers. That California has more illegal immigrants than any other part of the country, they will get more leeway to getting more jobs cause they are cheap labor.

Jsolidus

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
103,822 5,402 5,376
Alleybux
Doesn't surprise that California voted for another dumb ass prop that ends up screwing them over..again!!!

One of the reasons I left that shithole of a state is because of how damn dumb the masses are in that state. They love getting nickle and dimed in that fµck!ng state.

Sad part is they will vote the same assholes who dont give a sh!t about them each and every time! When sh!t hits the fan they will run around looking stupid wondering why they can't afford to live in that fµck!ng state.

Jsolidus

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
103,822 5,402 5,376
Alleybux

Most people in Cali are fµck!ng ignorant. and Im saying this as someone who lived in that shithole and met plenty who left because they couldn't take the Calif bµllsh!t!.

Most dont vote smart and will let themselves be led a stray because some asshole with a D behind their name says its okay. Californians voted for a fµck!ng train to Vegas that still isnt even built and wont even go into LA but start and end in Victorville of all damn places. (If youre from Cali you know this is a joke)

Tillywinks

Lurker and proud
Reaction score
Reactions
177,531 3,525 1,425
Alleybux
California voters are idiots. Now all these people are getting screwed. I don't even do delivery work and I'm pissed. California just got a lot more difficult to live in for many people

LooksLikeRain

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
78,661 1,450 501
Alleybux
I get it but i am ao disappointed at how easy it was hoodwink us in this age of google. People really should have dug deeper and researched the prop.

A lot of people got hoodwinked thinking it was supposed to help the drivers when in reality, it was Uber & the rest writing their own labor laws and fooling the people into believing it. And it's gonna be hard as hell to repeal it too

Tillywinks

Lurker and proud
Reaction score
Reactions
177,531 3,525 1,425
Alleybux
THIS!

There are people all over misinforming voters with LIES that go unchecked by the LAZY media. Social media is no better.
All they had to do was read the book that comes in the mail which breaks down everything.

People even voted no to raising property taxes on businesses whose property was a higher value.

They also voted to raise sales taxes to fix roads, highways and freeways. Every voting period they vote Yes on this sh!t and NOTHING GETS FIXED.

just like the jackasses who voted to pay 10¢ per bag but b!tch about the price and won't by them.

I swear every voting period I hate California more and more. Voters are simps. A commercial is not reliable for voter information, nor those mailers.

I do all that research and explain to people the bs stunts they are trying to pull but no one listens.

They are about to fµck up Texas lol.

Trending Threads

News Alley

Ask LSA

The Lounge

General Alley

Top Bottom