Quantcast

Rewatching the entire series of "A Different World" on Netflix and something just occurred to me

sierra

Coach
Reaction score
Reactions
92,586 6,132 3,640
Alleybux
1. Didn't realize how long Sinbad was n the show. I'm all the way up to season 4 and he's still there. I didn't care for his character. Just corny especially when doing one of his "schticks"

2. As many times as I've seen this show (each episode at least 10-15x over the years to include ORIGINAL airing) it never occurred to me how Colonel and Walter were TIGHT. Jaleesa dated Walter for years, got to the alter w/him and Colonel turned around and married her. Black folk don't generally do ish like that.

3. Ron couldn't stand Freddy when her hair was natural but was so overwhelmed when she permed her hair he literally fell in love w/her. The character would be cancelled, fans would be faux outraged and he show boycotted if that happened in the PC world we live in today

Last edited:

7thSense

Loot Queen
Reaction score
Reactions
121,543 1,962 303
Alleybux
And by today's standards, when fans discover who Ron was dating in real life, he would then be uncanceled, lmao.

I never got why they put Jaleesa with that old man anyway. I never figured out how old she was supposed to be. Then I found out the actor was Aretha Franklin's ex-husband. Let me go rewatch this too.

Flo Jo 1988

Your Favorite LSA Auntie
Reaction score
Reactions
46,704 1,018 38
Alleybux
Please consider adding these to your list. Give me some room...I have been holding this in for 20 plus years
1. Lena, Charmaine Tiesha Brown, and the rest RUINED the show
2. Jalessa turned into an unrecognizable character after she married Col. Taylor (the hurricane episode: drunk, ranting, raving...when did Jalessa start acting like that??)
3. What the hell happened to Dwayne Wayne...he became very mean and oppressive to Whitley. Unlikable...not to mention the BLATANT colorism involved in that story arc.
4. Why in the hell did they do that mess with Kim, Freddie, and Ron at the end of the show
5. Lena, Charmaine Tiesha Brown and the rest RUINED the show
6. What the hell was supposed to be going on with that Billie Dee Williams episode
7. What the hell was going on with that Ron and the white girl selling cars episode
8. What the hell was going on with the Lena Horne episode and when was it that Mr. Gaines all of a sudden was senile as Whitley tried to say
9. Lena, Charmain Tiesha Brown, and the rest RUINED the show
10. It went downhill as soon as they got rid of the Aretha Franklin theme
11. Keanu should have whopped Whitley's ass...for real...that mess hit different as an adult and you can what is really going on...

Fall Back

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
25,526 269 68
Alleybux
And by today's standards, when fans discover who Ron was dating in real life, he would then be uncanceled, lmao.

I never got why they put Jaleesa with that old man anyway. I never figured out how old she was supposed to be. Then I found out the actor was Aretha Franklin's ex-husband. Let me go rewatch this too.
If I can recall correctly, Jaleesa was 26 y/o when she started at Hillman.

coginito

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
125,294 8,393 3,859
Alleybux
Please consider adding these to your list. Give me some room...I have been holding this in for 20 plus years
2. Jalessa turned into an unrecognizable character after she married Col. Taylor (the hurricane episode: drunk, ranting, raving...when did Jalessa start acting like that??)
3. What the hell happened to Dwayne Wayne...he became very mean and oppressive to Whitley. Unlikable...not to mention the BLATANT colorism involved in that story arc.
4. Why in the hell did they do that mess with Kim, Freddie, and Ron at the end of the show
6. What the hell was supposed to be going on with that Billie Dee Williams episode
7. What the hell was going on with that Ron and the white girl selling cars episode
8. What the hell was going on with the Lena Horne episode and when was it that Mr. Gaines all of a sudden was senile as Whitley tried to say
11. Keanu should have whopped Whitley's ass...for real...that mess hit different as an adult and you can what is really going on...
1,5 and 9
HA!

Kima Greggs

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
12,460 207 28
Alleybux

1,5,&9 sis? LOL

Crown Royal

On Ice Baby
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
85,657 3,443 2,019
Alleybux
I'm glad we got to watch this show before Gen Y/Z or whatever they call themselves.

sh!t would have been canceled every week because yall complain about everything and EVERYTHING is offensive in some way, shape or form now.

MasMouth

THE ICON
Reaction score
Reactions
520,402 24,226 7,319
Alleybux
I fµcked around and got talking to some old white man earlier for a bit. Don't ask me how but the conversation turned to how much he hates Bill Cosby and " All of that fake sh!t he put on TV ! " :joy::joy::joy:. The old me would have windmilled his ass...

giphy.gif

Flo Jo 1988

Your Favorite LSA Auntie
Reaction score
Reactions
46,704 1,018 38
Alleybux
I fµcked around and got talking to some old white man earlier for a bit. Don't ask me how but the conversation turned to how much he hates Bill Cosby and " All of that fake sh!t he put on TV ! " :joy::joy::joy:. The old me would have windmilled his ass...
That is still my favorite episode...good morning big sister gorgeous one...so lovely to behold...

Capricorngirl

Caps Do It Better!
Reaction score
Reactions
146,272 2,581 1,207
Alleybux
I didn't like Freddie's new attitude that came along with her pressed hair.....I liked it better when she was carefree and "we are the world"

Grace Taylor

Team Owner
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
79,825 1,805 373
Alleybux

I feel like when I was re-watching recently she said she was like 25-26ish.

CarmenJonesGal

Team Owner
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
367,591 10,222 2,157
Alleybux
You are hands down one of my FAVORITE fonts and I feel so hurt and disrespected right now
“Lena, Charmain Tiesha Brown, and the rest RUINED the show”

how DEEEEYAIR yew!!

Like I srsly need to log out and reevaluate our friendship. Omgaww...
1616549642137.gif

Lady Luck 321

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
53,358 1,193 375
Alleybux

She was supposed to be 26 when the show started.

raenelle

Happy Dancer
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
30,669 689 23
Alleybux
On #6, don't know how true this is but I heard that the episode with Billy Dee was suppose to set the stage for a spinoff with him, Lena, Gina, Charmaine, Dorian and the other guy (name escapes me). If true, I'm glad it didn't happen. I was never here for Lena and 'nem!!

Speaking of Kenu, I do think she was being messy when she invited Dwayne for that interview and told him he didn't get the job. Granted, based on what she said, he wasn't qualified but still, I suspect she knew that mess all along. She reeled him in just to pull the rug right out from under him. I didn't feel that bad for him because you right, he was mean to Whitley. He knew what he was getting into when he got with her bougie ass. I will say though, Whitley gets the award for most growth because she came a long way from how she started on the show. She was still bougie but she mellowed out toward the end.

Last edited:

Flo Jo 1988

Your Favorite LSA Auntie
Reaction score
Reactions
46,704 1,018 38
Alleybux
You are hands down one of my FAVORITE fonts and I feel so hurt and disrespected right now
“Lena, Charmain Tiesha Brown, and the rest RUINED the show”

how DEEEEYAIR yew!!

Like I srsly need to log out and reevaluate our friendship. Omgaww...
View attachment 2415179
Girl, I am sorry.....but, it needed to be said...if not now, when....if not here, where...We can't go on ignoring the TRAVESTY that occurred when the new group RUINED the show...
But, you still my girl!

Peachez N Cream

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
33,783 788 118
Alleybux
Can we talk about the Juilian storyline??

okay when I was little I remember Whitley almost marrying him. And they even had it in the opening the credits of the final season NOT Byron.
So WHY is Julian in there when they don’t show his storyline of (almost) marrying Whitley??

Samanthajones

Self-obsessed bish with commitment issues
Reaction score
Reactions
30,719 857 555
Alleybux
It's numbers 3 and 11 for me.
Dwayne became increasingly unlikable after him and Whitley got together especially after the marriage. It was uncomfortable to watch recently as an adult. Sucked she had to give up her pampered life in the name of love. Psht.

And yes, Whitley was foul as fµck to Kikula and deserved to get her sss beat.

Scorpio Jawn

Toucher of grass.
Reaction score
Reactions
174,357 8,840 1,514
Alleybux
- I loved Sinbad in the show. Walter was such a good character and the rape episode highlighted this
- Whitley was so annoying to me
- Unpopular opinion but seasons 4-6 were better than seasons 1-3. I liked the new characters a lot, they breathed new life into the show. Gina was so funny. I really liked Dorian, Terrell, Charmaine and Lena and the Colonel's son Terrance and their dynamic. You can really see the transition the show made from the late 80s to the early 90s.
- Kim and Ron as a couple still makes my head scratch to this day
- Shazza Zulu and his fine hotep ass made a cute couple with Freddie idc
- I prefer the Boyz 2 Men theme song over Aretha's version
- Dwayne was lowkey a little toxic

Samanthajones

Reaction score
Reactions
30,719 857 555
Alleybux

Who was Ron dating in real life?

Flo Jo 1988

Your Favorite LSA Auntie
Reaction score
Reactions
46,704 1,018 38
Alleybux
On #6, don't know how true this is but I heard that the episode with Billy Dee was suppose to set the stage for a spinoff with him, Lena, Gina, Charmaine, Dorian and the other guy (name escapes me). If true, I'm glad it didn't happen. I was never hear for Lena and 'nem!!

Speaking of Kenu, I do think she was being messy when she invited Dwayne for that interview and told him he didn't get the job. Granted, based on what she said, he wasn't qualified but still, I suspect she knew that mess all along. She reeled him in just to pull the rug right out from under him. I didn't feel that bad for him because you right, he was mean to Whitley. He knew what he was getting into when he got with her bougie ass. I will say though, Whitley gets the award for most growth because she came a long way from how she started on the show. She was still bougie but she mellowed out toward the end.
Yes, she was being messy and I ain't mad. Keanu got her revenge....
Side note: I was raised by the pettiest of all petty women. Petty IRL and with her TV shows. Probably Petty in the afterlife...If y'all think I am bad, you should have heard my Mama (RIP). She hated Dwayne Wayne with all of her being. Especially, after Whitley turned down that job in NY. She was hollering about the colorism on ADW, The Cosby Show, and Martin when these shows were actually still on the air in the 1990s. Whew Lord...

Flo Jo 1988

Your Favorite LSA Auntie
Reaction score
Reactions
46,704 1,018 38
Alleybux
Can we talk about the Juilian storyline??

okay when I was little I remember Whitley almost marrying him. And they even had it in the opening the credits of the final season NOT Byron.
So WHY is Julian in there when they don’t show his storyline of (almost) marrying Whitley??
Yes, Girl! Get if off of your chest. The time is now...we have waited long enough....

Peachez N Cream

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
33,783 788 118
Alleybux
D4434DF9-8418-4606-9E3E-C1DE1CDA5524.png
5E421250-B7B5-41C5-82C8-29A4696CF9FA.png

sorry y’all it’s screen shots off my phone I didn’t clean up for space. But this must have happened otherwise it wouldn’t be in the opening credit of the final season.

Flo Jo 1988

Your Favorite LSA Auntie
Reaction score
Reactions
46,704 1,018 38
Alleybux
Who was Ron dating in real life?
He allegedly is dating Tempest Bledsoe. (p.s. My mama had some tea on Ron (IRL) dragging his father's business down the drain...)

Samanthajones

Reaction score
Reactions
30,719 857 555
Alleybux
1. Didn't realize how long Sinbad was n the show. I'm all the way up to season 4 and he's still there. I didn't care for his character. Just corny especially when doing one of his "schticks"

2. As many times as I've seen this show (each episode at least 10-15x over the years to include ORIGINAL airing) it never occurred to me how Colonel and Walter were TIGHT. Jaleesa dated Walter for years, got to the alter w/him and Colonel turned around and married her. Black folk don't generally do ish like that.

3. Ron couldn't stand Freddy when her hair was so overwhelmed when she permed her hair he literally fell in love w/her. The character would be cancelled, fans would be faux outraged and he show boycotted if that happened in the PC world we live in today
Ron was lowkey a misogynistic POS and would definitely get some heat for a lot of the stuff he said and did back then. A lot of "boys being boys" stuff that just would not fly.

GRAPE SEED OIL

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
52,537 1,773 536
Alleybux
You forgot to mention "Lena, Charmain Tiesha Brown, and the rest RUINED the show."

Samanthajones

Reaction score
Reactions
30,719 857 555
Alleybux
He allegedly is dating Tempest Bledsoe. (p.s. My mama had some tea on Ron (IRL) dragging his father's business down the drain...)
Tragic! What's tea? What did he blow the money on??

Teasipper85

Nosey AF
Reaction score
Reactions
42,102 892 259
Alleybux
I loved when the new kids came on the show. It was a natural flow from them being under graduates to adults. They had to bring in new, hipper kids to keep the audience. I hate the first season. Lisa Bonet was the worst.

Flo Jo 1988

Your Favorite LSA Auntie
Reaction score
Reactions
46,704 1,018 38
Alleybux
- I loved Sinbad in the show. Walter was such a good character and the rape episode highlighted this
- Unpopular opinion but seasons 4-6 were better than seasons 1-3. I liked the new characters a lot, they breathed new life into the show. Gina was so funny. I really liked Dorian, Terrell, Charmaine and Lena and the Colonel's son Terrance and their dynamic. You can really see the transition the show made from the late 80s to the early 90s.
Now, Gina's little bop "When the Saints going Marching In..." (not out, but in....) was funny.
Quoting Kimberly Reese, MD...there was nothing real about Shazza Zulu but those green eyes...my brutha....

Flo Jo 1988

Your Favorite LSA Auntie
Reaction score
Reactions
46,704 1,018 38
Alleybux
Tragic! What's tea? What did he blow the money on?
However, Darryl ended up losing most of his dad’s millions due to inexperience. As such, his father’s widow and two of his aunts sued him for mishandling the funds.

Capricorngirl

Caps Do It Better!
Reaction score
Reactions
146,272 2,581 1,207
Alleybux
I didn't like Dorian and Lena together....cute as he was, she know she didn't really want no "virgin church boy"...c'mon now. That wasn't realistic, especially when a guy like Piccolo was her ex, lol.

Samanthajones

Reaction score
Reactions
30,719 857 555
Alleybux
I didn't care for sinbad's character when I watched as a youngin but as an adult I appreciate what he brought to the cast more.

Kim and Ron were very ick. I liked her best with the Jafaican that they had play like 3 other characters like we wouldn't notice.

News Alley

Top Bottom