Quantcast

RICH PAUL NCAA's 'Rich Paul Rule' NO IMPACT ON ME!

CA Girl

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
570,647 106,088 7,275
Alleybux

b3d9ea82ce544e70b4f6e3e41ed11b24_md.jpg

Rich Paul is finally addressing the NCAA's new agent criteria that's been dubbed the "Rich Paul Rule" ... saying the new requirements have NO impact on his business ... but could prevent people from following in his footsteps.

The NBA super agent published an op-ed in The Athletic on Monday ... breaking down the new policy (which requires a bachelor's degree to rep players testing their NBA waters without losing eligibility) and explaining how it hurts anyone trying to be the next Rich Paul.

"NCAA executives are once again preventing young people from less prestigious backgrounds, and often people of color, from working in the system they continue to control."

"In this case, the people being locked out are kids who aspire to be an agent and work in the NBA and do not have the resources, opportunity, or desire to get a four-year degree."

Paul DOES agree with 2 of the 3 requirements ... saying he supports requiring 3 years of experience and a written test in order to represent players testing the market.

"However, requiring a four-year degree accomplishes only one thing — systematically excluding those who come from a world where college is unrealistic."

Paul suggests the NCAA work with aspiring agents with a one-year program or mentorship, instead of rejecting them completely.

"The barriers to entry for the next Rich Paul are already high enough."

Paul ends the piece by encouraging the youth to continue to "strive for greatness" ... no matter what the NCAA does.

Rich Paul Breaks Silence on NCAA 'Rich Paul Rule,' It Has No Impact on Me!

Fire Squad

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
25,271 562 91
Alleybux
the 3 years of exerience is harder to get then the degree but he doesnt see that since his bff is lebron.

Teamplayer

Who Dey + Lambeau Leap
Reaction score
Reactions
444,186 18,674 4,884
Alleybux
Screenshot_20190812-111324.jpg

Last week the NCAA added new criteria for agents who want to work with “student-athletes.” They must pass a test, have three years of experience and have completed their college degree. The media is calling it “The Rich Paul Rule,” which, while incredibly flattering, is not accurate. It has no impact on me or the business of Klutch Sports Group. However, it does have a significant impact on people like me, and the NCAA should be called out for it.

To be honest, I have no idea whether the NCAA adopted the new rule specifically because of my work with Darius Bazley, as people have speculated, or if it is because they know there are more and more people like me fighting for their chance and challenging this antiquated system.

The harmful consequences of this decision will ricochet onto others who are trying to break in. NCAA executives are once again preventing young people from less prestigious backgrounds, and often people of color, from working in the system they continue to control. In this case, the people being locked out are kids who aspire to be an agent and work in the NBA and do not have the resources, opportunity or desire to get a four-year degree.

I actually support requiring three years of experience before representing a kid testing the market. I can even get behind passing a test. However, requiring a four-year degree accomplishes only one thing — systematically excluding those who come from a world where college is unrealistic.

Does anyone really believe a four-year degree is what separates an ethical person from a con artist?

Let’s also be clear that once the NCAA requires a four-year degree for athletes “testing the waters,” it’s only a matter of time until this idea is socialized, no longer questioned and then more broadly applied. We all know how this works. Unfair policy is introduced incrementally so people accept it because it only affects a small group. Then the unfair policy quietly evolves into institutional policy. I’m not sure what the technical term is for that because I didn’t finish college, but I know it when I see it.

There are certainly other ways to achieve that goal without locking people out of the system. Why don’t they partner with universities on a one-year program for agents who don’t meet their requirements but want to learn the business? Or work with existing agents who play by the rules to help mentor those who are trying to “break in?”

There’s another practical reason that this rule doesn’t make sense. Respectfully, how do four years studying sports marketing in a classroom make you more qualified to represent a kid than working at Klutch Sports Group or for an NBA front office? Or at any other entrepreneurial business for that matter? All this will do is exclude the agents whose life experience helps them understand the needs of many of these players best.

The barriers to entry for the next Rich Paul are already high enough. When I travel back to neighborhoods like the inner city of Greater Cleveland where I’m from, young black kids tell me that they see my career as another path for them out of their troubled surroundings. They want to grow up to do what I do. That inspires me. So if the NCAA is invested both in helping young people get the education they need and in supporting student-athletes, like they claim, then we are on common ground.

No matter the result, what I’m focused on is helping aspiring agents and players figure out the best path forward for them so they can earn a living and be blessed with opportunities like I have. Hopefully, the NCAA will help foster a system that will allow for that as well.

But no matter what the NCAA does, I want young men and women no matter their color or background to know that this shouldn’t discourage them from aspiring to be in this profession. Continue to strive for greatness; the marathon of life will continue. #MoreThanAnAgent

Last edited:

dubya

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
16,779 1,136 1,570
Alleybux
He raises some great points and I really like his suggestions. But he is naive if he doesn't realize that they ARE coming for his neck. He was just put on notice.

Ntsap

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
199,965 5,634 2,257
Alleybux
I mean this was eventually going to happen. Lebron and his friends are messy bullies and then when they don’t get their way throw out the race card. They act like they’re untouchable which I guarantee pisses off racist powerful white men. This is the first of many of them getting humbled.

Teamplayer

Who Dey + Lambeau Leap
Reaction score
Reactions
444,186 18,674 4,884
Alleybux
He raises some great points and I really like his suggestions. But he is naive if he doesn't realize that they ARE coming for his neck. He was just put on notice.

"Or work with existing agents who play by the rules to help mentor those who are trying to “break in?”

This was naive as hell. Other agents aren't going to want to help mentor/ develop competition... especially white agents that think race gives black agents the upper hand.

The NCAA made a rule, but we haven't seen what the NBA will do yet. Rich better prepare himself.

@Mikhail Bakunin

Mikhail Bakunin

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
154,040 19,673 18,910
Alleybux
"Or work with existing agents who play by the rules to help mentor those who are trying to “break in?”

This was naive as hell. Other agents aren't going to want to help mentor/ develop competition... especially white agents that think race gives black agents the upper hand.

The NCAA made a rule, but we haven't seen what the NBA will do yet. Rich better prepare himself.

@Mikhail Bakunin

Great thread and post. It's definitely troublesome. By requiring a degree it gives white agents enough time to build rapport with the players while they're still in college before making the jump to the NBA. The next Rich Paul would somehow need to convince a player in the NBA who already has an agent mostly likely a white one to leave him and join his stable and become a guinea pig which is really unlikely without having a Lebron by his side to give him clout.

I don't see a solution around it since Young Black men who join these teams aren't Black empowerment minded like Lebron and will always take the path of least resistance in order not to piss off white folk.

Teamplayer

Who Dey + Lambeau Leap
Reaction score
Reactions
444,186 18,674 4,884
Alleybux
Great thread and post. It's definitely troublesome. By requiring a degree it gives white agents enough time to build rapport with the players while they're still in college before making the jump to the NBA. The next Rich Paul would somehow need to convince a player in the NBA who already has an agent mostly likely a white one to leave him and join his stable and become a guinea pig which is really unlikely without having a Lebron by his side to give him clout.

I don't see a solution around it since Young Black men who join these teams aren't Black empowerment minded like Lebron and will always take the path of least resistance in order not to piss off white folk.

Good point.

Darius Bazley was willing to be guinea pig and try something new. If his situation works out (which I'm praying it does) it's a wrap for the NCAA system as we know it. He's the one that opted out of college basketball/NCAA and took the $1 million dollar internship with New Balance.

True, Lebron has a rare mindset.

Mikhail Bakunin

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
154,040 19,673 18,910
Alleybux
Good point.

Darius Bazley was willing to be guinea pig and try something new. If his situation works out (which I'm praying it does) it's a wrap for the NCAA system as we know it. He's the one that opted out of college basketball/NCAA and took the $1 million dollar internship with New Balance.

True, Lebron has a rare mindset.

Hopefully Lebron can inspire the next generation to start stepping on the toes of white folk.

@madness116
@coco2thepuff99
@Dale Rick Nor
@miltank
@Jay Johnson
@hankertron
@MrMagnificent89
@MrMontessa
@Carl Carlson

Soren

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
14,026 182 69
Alleybux
This is how the powerful close ranks and ensure no outside competition. I find it funny they're trying to be concerned about athletes when they didn't care how those same athletes leave the league poor and destitute.

What sucks is the tons of black kids that try and get those sports management degrees, play by the rules, and can't even get in the door. You get mountains of debt only to work in a call center in a totally unrelated field.

I walked in enough corporate circles to know certifications, licenses, and experience are only used to keep certain people out. When they really want you in, suddenly you're fed the "oh we had to just put that in there because of HR. Just ignore it." It's why I see so many white male-dominated jobs that are cushy. They like to keep it that way and end up feeding their unqualified kids into those same jobs.

Brother Mouzone

We don’t run from where we come from
Reaction score
Reactions
358,912 10,150 3,000
Alleybux
I mean this was eventually going to happen. Lebron and his friends are messy bullies and then when they don’t get their way throw out the race card. They act like they’re untouchable which I guarantee pisses off racist powerful white men. This is the first of many of them getting humbled.

WTF?!?!?!?

"Race card" ???

"Humbled" ????

Dale Rick Nor

Crush and Crush Again
Reaction score
Reactions
197,541 6,360 6,710
Alleybux
I don't follow basketball, I'm not a fan. However, I find it odd that they're making rule after rule with sports that are primarily Black. I feel if you're eighteen, you're an adult.

BluePoisonIvy

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
213,372 8,148 4,723
Alleybux
I've been seeing this all over social media. Can someone give me some background? Who is Rich Paul? Why is the NCAA changing the rules bc of him? What did he do? I dont know a thing about sports.

Dale Rick Nor

Crush and Crush Again
Reaction score
Reactions
197,541 6,360 6,710
Alleybux
I've been seeing this all over social media. Can someone give me some background? Who is Rich Paul? Why is the NCAA changing the rules bc of him? What did he do? I dont know a thing about sports.
Same here, I've never really followed sports like that.

Teamplayer

Who Dey + Lambeau Leap
Reaction score
Reactions
444,186 18,674 4,884
Alleybux

Rich Paul is a guy from Cleveland that used to sell throwback jerseys from the trunk of his car. He met Lebron in an Akron airport 2002, they exchanged numbers and became friends. Lebron liked Paul's business acumen and brought Paul into his inner circle. Lebron got drafted into the NBA in 2003, and Paul began working under Lebron's agent Leon Rose in 2006 at Creative Artist Agency. Paul left CAA in 2012 to start his own sports agency 'Klutch Sports' and Lebron went with him...leaving Rose. Lol

Rich Paul is now one of the most successful sports agents in the world.

Mz. Judgement

Team Owner
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
272,677 8,381 1,952
Alleybux
Rich Paul is a guy from Cleveland that used to sell throwback jerseys from the trunk of his car. He met Lebron in an Akron airport 2002, they exchanged numbers and became friends. Lebron liked Paul's business acumen and brought Paul into his inner circle. Lebron got drafted into the NBA in 2003, and Paul began working under Lebron's agent Leon Rose in 2006 at Creative Artist Agency. Paul left CAA in 2012 to start his own sports agency 'Klutch Sports' and Lebron went with him...leaving Rose. Lol

From selling jerseys out of the trunk of your car to being one of the most successful sports agents, like sure does work for some people

BluePoisonIvy

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
213,372 8,148 4,723
Alleybux

Got it! Why did they change the rules? Is it bc "they" don't want successful black agents in the industry? Are agents mostly white?

Thanks for the background info!

boogie79

Bring my own fire, don't need security in the club
Reaction score
Reactions
88,518 1,691 131
Alleybux
Rich is being obtuse. Unless he plans on bringing people under his wing and training them, who else is going to do it? What LeBron did for him I don't see anyone else doing unless they are brothers.

I still remember how everyone was saying Lebron was making a mistake for hiring a rookie agent.

Teamplayer

Who Dey + Lambeau Leap
Reaction score
Reactions
444,186 18,674 4,884
Alleybux
Got it! Why did they change the rules? Is it bc "they" don't want successful black agents in the industry? Are agents mostly white?

They added rules. The NCAA's reasoning is that they don't want aunts and uncles managing young players. One has to meet the NCAA's standards. Many (including myself) think it's racial. They don't want black men and women linking up and pushing white agents out.

Yes, agents are mostly white and a lot of them are lawyers.

boogie79

Reaction score
Reactions
88,518 1,691 131
Alleybux

They changed the rules to prevent college players from hiring an agent that doesn't fit the new requirements in case they want to return to college.

The reason many of us believe it's racial is because most of these YT agents aren't getting chose and losing out on big names because they are choosing to go to an agent that looks like them and finding ways to circumvent the NCAA. Now there's more competition and Rich Paul has proven successful by skipping some of the red tape.

The reason I called Rich Paul obtuse is he lucked up and befriended the top player in the league. A player that actually thinks outside the box and took a risk. He didn't have pushback because of who was backing him.

Look at some of the top players' agents and you'll see a common theme. These guys are not only agents but are also business partners and lawyers, their hooks are in deep with these players. Rich is definitely a threat.

Star Jones

In your argument ... poking holes!
Reaction score
Reactions
80,564 2,281 1,811
Alleybux
the 3 years of exerience is harder to get then the degree but he doesnt see that since his bff is lebron.

I was actually a little perturbed by his stance that "college is impossible," too. If a guy or girl is smart enough to run with the big boy agents, then they would be smart enough to get scholarships into a college.

Not to mention, the would be agent without a degree would only have a chance of a good player trusting them through friendship or family, like what happened with Rich.

Truthfully, the rules do more to protect the player than it does to keep out the new black agent.

The black agents in the League could easily intern whatever and however many young brothers and sisters they wanted, if they wanted to.

I'm happy for Klutch and all that they've been able to do, but LeBron's career was pretty much set by the time LeBron left Leon Rose. It's similar to how Ray Allen handled his own contract with an attorney covering the legal terms.

boogie79

Reaction score
Reactions
88,518 1,691 131
Alleybux
I was actually a little perturbed by his stance that "college is impossible," too. If a guy or girl is smart enough to run with the big boy agents, then they would be smart enough to get scholarships into a college.

Not to mention, the would be agent without a degree would only have a chance of a good player trusting them through friendship or family, like what happened with Rich.

Truthfully, the rules do more to protect the player than it does to keep out the new black agent.

The black agents in the League could easily intern whatever and however many young brothers and sisters they wanted, if they wanted to.

I'm happy for Klutch and all that they've been able to do, but LeBron's career was pretty much set by the time LeBron left Leon Rose. It's similar to how Ray Allen handled his own contract with an attorney covering the legal terms.

I see what you saying but I'm willing to bet there are agents out there that don't have a degree and it was not an issue because they weren't encouraging players to get out of college early or skip it all together.

NCAA has a vested interest in having the talent at least a year because that's money. Now players know if they are talented enough they don't need the NCAA.

Star Jones

In your argument ... poking holes!
Reaction score
Reactions
80,564 2,281 1,811
Alleybux
I see what you saying but I'm willing to bet there are agents out there that don't have a degree and it was not an issue because they weren't encouraging players to get out of college early or skip it all together.

NCAA has a vested interest in having the talent at least a year because that's money. Now players know if they are talented enough they don't need the NCAA.

Top agents or dudes that are dealing with other dudes that can barely stay in the G League?

You would have to make your way through all of a top player's other hanger-ons to even attempt to convince him that you can be an agent without a degree or serious connections.

Yes, Rich Paul has done amazing things, but Master P completely screwed up Ricky Williams' first contract, and in many ways, set his career on a horrible path.

I'd snatch my son (don't have a son) up so hard, he'd lose almost three inches off his height and wingspan, if he was trying to let somebody at the airport be his agent! :giggle :giggle :giggle

Now, I would absolutely send him out of the country to play ball before I'd be thrilled about him playing in the NCAA.

boogie79

Reaction score
Reactions
88,518 1,691 131
Alleybux
Top agents or dudes that are dealing with other dudes that can barely stay in the G League?

You would have to make your way through all of a top player's other hanger-ons to even attempt to convince him that you can be an agent without a degree or serious connections.

Yes, Rich Paul has done amazing things, but Master P completely screwed up Ricky Williams' first contract, and in many ways, set his career on a horrible path.

I'd snatch my son (don't have a son) up so hard, he'd lose almost three inches off his height and wingspan, if he was trying to let somebody at the airport be his agent! :giggle :giggle :giggle

Now, I would absolutely send him out of the country to play ball before I'd be thrilled about him playing in the NCAA.

I'm talking about the ones that work for the top agents. Agencies send interns/subordinates to recruit the talent (depending on talent level). Many interns don't have the education but may be taking classes to get a degree or be hired on a "who you know" basis.

Now the Master P thing, that was a train wreck. He hired actual agents and wouldn't listen or at least sit back and let the experts do the work. At least with Jay Z, he's not the one doing the negotiating.