Ridley Scott Pins ‘The Last Duel’ Bombing on Apathetic Millennials

wanderwoman

alleybuxstrugglelife
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
319,215 7,866 3,408
Alleybux
Ridley Scott says there is blame to be put on his epic The Last Duel bombing this fall — and it has nothing to do with Disney, which he contends did a great job promoting the historical picture.

The Oscar-nominated director dropped by Marc Maron’s WTF podcast for an episode published Monday in which he discussed his iconic career. Maron noted he was impressed that Scott had two enormous pictures out this year with The Last Duel and the upcoming House of Gucci.

20th Century’s The Last Duel, starring Matt Damon, Adam Driver, Jodie Comer and Ben Affleck, cratered ($27 million worldwide off a $100 million budget) when it arrived exclusively in theaters in late October.

Scott told Maron he was somewhat concerned the Disney-acquired Fox studio would undersell the graphic film, but that was never the case. “Disney did a fantastic promotion job,” Scott said on the podcast. “The bosses loved the movie because I was concerned it was not for them.”

Scott’s explanation for the horrible box office performance? Apathetic millennials.

“I think what it boils down to — what we’ve got today [are] the audiences who were brought up on these fµck!ng cell phones. The millennian, [who] do not ever want to be taught anything unless you told it on the cell phone,” Scott said.

“This is a broad stroke, but I think we’re dealing with it right now with Facebook,” Scott added to Maron. “This is a misdirection that has happened where it’s given the wrong kind of confidence to this latest generation, I think.”

Scott said he stood firmly by The Last Duel and the decision-making process at the studio was solid throughout.

“That’s the call you make,” he said of his undertaking the project. “That’s the call Fox made. We all thought it was a terrific script. And we made it. You can’t win all the time. I’ve never had one regret on any movie I’ve ever made. Nothing. I learned very early on to be your own critic. The only thing you should really have an opinion on is what you just did. Walk away. Make sure you’re happy. And don’t look back. That’s me.”

--

Will you millennials stop messing everything up with your 24-hour on-demand entertainment and your mobile phones :ROFLMAO:

Anyway, I highlighted the reasons why I as an apathetic Gen Xer didn't/wouldn't see this. I'm also over white people making the same story over and over again about white medieval societies. It's just an excuse not to hire anyone who isn't white. We see you Hollywood. Plus apparently, this is all about some rape-y sh!t and men need to stop telling those slick "oh it was a different time so of course, rape happened all the time and the younger the woman the more historically accurate it is" excuses for stories.

Source

Lil Pisces

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
276,460 7,842 514
Alleybux
“I think what it boils down to — what we’ve got today [are] the audiences who were brought up on these fµck!ng cell phones. The millennian, [who] do not ever want to be taught anything unless you told it on the cell phone,” Scott said.
1573238458091.png

Nobody wants to see a damn period piece movie about rape and murder!! People are fed up with depressing sh!t and people just want to see a fun popcorn movie!!

Last edited:

Varuna6

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
56,136 1,406 167
Alleybux
As a millennial, I never heard of this movie lol. Sounds like terrible marketing plus Ridley Scott movies tend to be a hit or miss for me (mostly misses).

jg19

General Manager
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
13,371 194 19
Alleybux
Everything is our fault, I definitely won't be seeing that movie now though. He didn't even make the budget back ($27 million worldwide off a $100 million budget) so millennials ain't the only problem he has.

yamz

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
7,047 260 116
Alleybux
I think he needs to blame his marketing team bc I never heard of this movie until last week. And only bc one of my fave reviewers started talking about it.

Stormy_Weather

“You Bit**es Ain’t Humble Enough”
Reaction score
Reactions
478,282 8,519 2,296
Alleybux
He sounds foolish. Most of us millennials were teenagers when we got out first cell phones—we were hardly raised on them. Besides, who the hell wants to watch Matt Damon, Ben Affleck, and Adam Driver in a medieval drama?

ThatLeogirl

NY State of Mind
Reaction score
Reactions
282,782 8,881 2,263
Alleybux
He’s full of sh!t, he needs to realize that no one is checking for Matt Damon and Ben Affleck especially with all the sh!t that has been exposed about them.

Shy But Fly

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
82,789 1,106 212
Alleybux
I saw it and liked it; it's favorably reviewed in general.
This movie was not heavily marketed. Plus it got released just as theaters were reopening. It's definitely not a "risk it all to see it" movie. It'll do well on VOD.

These oldheads need to realize times are different. I'm fond of a huge epic à la Gladiator, but most people don't have the attention span for that anymore.

PS: When I went to see it, everyone in the audience were in their 60's and 70's except me.

Last edited:

Pookiedapooh

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
19,744 644 574
Alleybux
I think this film would have been better received as a limited miniseries like The Pillars of the Earth.

CoolGirl94

♎️
Reaction score
Reactions
21,553 819 366
Alleybux
I saw the trailer for it when I went to the movies last month. It looked good, and I would have gone to see it if I had nothing else to do lol. I also disagree with him about the film being adequately promoted. Other than that one time at the theater, I can’t recall another time I saw it promoted on any other platform. People just like blaming Millennials for any and everything.

jg19

General Manager
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
13,371 194 19
Alleybux
He sounds foolish. Most of us millennials were teenagers when we got out first cell phones—we were hardly raised on them. Besides, who the hell wants to watch Matt Damon, Ben Affleck, and Adam Driver in a medieval drama?
Millennial is just a buzzword at this point, I'm convinced most people just say millennials just to say it and don't know who actually fits in the category. I mean the oldest of us turned 40 this year I just turned 35 myself I definitely didn't grow up with a phone in my hand. I don't think I got my first phone until high school and that was so my mom and dad could have contact with me during after school activity or if I was with my friends.

Last edited:

Fongenie

Something On My Mind
Reaction score
Reactions
70,468 1,196 622
Alleybux
I'm convinced most people just say millennials just to say it (it's just become a buzz word at this point) and don't know who actually fits in the category. I mean the oldest of us turned 40 this year I just turned 35 myself I definitely didn't grow up with a phone in my hand. I don't think I got my first phone until high school and that was so my mom and dad could have contact with me during after school activity or if I was with my friends.

This.

rubbermaids

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
18,950 1,656 294
Alleybux
How about this? Never even saw this promoted on my little millennial phone. It's a medieval story about rape & murder. Most of the cast has been cancelled at some point, most notably off the top of my head Matt Damon playing brand new about not knowing f***** is a slur.
I'm not saying I would have even seen this movie in old times but there's a lot of reasons why people wouldn't now & they have nothing to do with phones.

mithras

facts not feelings
Reaction score
Reactions
78,947 4,760 3,693
Alleybux
been trying to watch it on my app box thing but the recording has been sh!t ever since it appeared on there. i do wanna see it but ill be pissed if matt damon ruins it with his corny ass. also dont even bother with that stillwater movie cuz its a piece of sh!t

CielsLSP

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
20,628 471 92
Alleybux
Woooo

We were gonna go catch it at the movie theater when I got home from work last week but it was 7pm when I got home, theater only had the 8pm showing and that bad boy is 2.5 hours long. That meant it would be 11 at the earliest when we got back home.

I like a good period piece and Matt Damon is always a backstabbing POS in the films he appears in... But not willing to give up majority of my evening on it.

Should have released it on VOD or to Netflix, hbomax, or something

And seriously, folks need to stop blaming us millennials. The oldest of us are in the 40s and the youngest are pushing 30s. We grown round these parts:arrogant

Isisleo86

FKA williams86
Reaction score
Reactions
511,378 8,973 1,173
Alleybux
Its such a lame cop out.

You want to know how many trailers I saw of King Richard in the past month......A Ton. Damn near EVERY youtube video had it either at the start of the video or somewhere in the middle.

I never saw one trailer online for his movie. Not one! I only heard about his movie from the premiere when Bennifer made a huge spectacle and all the blogs covered it. Also, a couple movie reviewers reviewed in on YouTube, both were Millenials. The movie could have been promoted better and honestly, it just seems dull. From the reviewers, it wasn't a dull movie but the topic is heavy, dealing with rape and a he said/she said dynamic. I'll pass!

Last edited:

Madashelle

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
46,301 1,656 385
Alleybux
Boomer here and Mother of Millennials & Gen Z.

This should/could of been a series on HBOMAX or something and then my old-ass may have watched it. Those types of movies do well as a series. When is Hollywood going to learn that the game has changed?

Can anybody imagine Game of Thrones being crammed into an into an 3 hour movie?

Times have changed. Adapt or give it up. And I happen to like Mr. Scott.

Caligullfree

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
72,710 2,897 1,014
Alleybux
But we should wanna be taught and be told it through a Hollyweird movie run by white men

countess-vaughn.gif

He trying to drive some demand for this pathetic movie. He tried it. Here's the entire plot summary from wikipedia below and just in case TLDR...Feudal Best friends fight over petty ish and start hating each other. One friend is broke (Matt Damon). Broke friend marries white woman (Jodie Comer) for money. Ex bestie (Adam Driver) thinks she likes him and rapes ex broke besties wife. Broke bestie asks king if he can duel ex-bestier, Broke bestie kills ex bestie, Broke bestie dies later and white woman lives alone "peacefully"

Don't give these bitchasses a dime through streaming or nuthin. This story was DUMB and VERY WHITE. These white men thought they could appeal to white women indignation on having to marry their asses but nobody cares anymore about none of this.

Chapter One[edit]​

After serving in the Caroline War, Jean de Carrouges and his friend, squire Jacques Le Gris swear fealty to Count Pierre d'Alençon, who has been named Jean's overlord by his cousin, King Charles VI. Jacques later informs Jean that Pierre has ordered his new vassals to pay war levies, agreeing to ask for leniency on Jean's behalf when de Carrouges explains he lacks the funds.

To restore his finances, Jean marries Marguerite de Thibouville, receiving a large dowry and the rights to many valuable estates. Pierre, however, has already gifted one piece of land to Jacques. When Jean sues for the land to be given to him, King Charles dismisses the suit. Pierre retaliates by appointing Jacques to the captaincy of a fort that Jean's family had held for generations.

A military campaign in Scotland leaves Jean knighted for bravery but bankrupt. When he comes home from a visit to Paris, Marguerite tells him that Jacques raped her while she was home alone. Knowing that Pierre protects Jacques, Jean resolves to challenge him to a duel to the death, a request which Charles VI grants.

Chapter Two[edit]​

Jacques wins Pierre's trust by using his knowledge of mathematics to organize the count's finances, earning him a position at court. Upon meeting Marguerite, Jacques falls in love with her and becomes convinced that she loves him after she shows him kindness.

While Jean is away, his mother takes the servants to help her with errands, leaving Marguerite alone. Jacques has his servant knock on the door, claiming his horse has thrown a shoe. She allows the man in, but he is followed quickly by Jacques, who declares his love for Marguerite. She insists she is married and orders them to leave. Instead, Jacques chases Marguerite up to her bedchamber and rapes her. Before leaving, he advises her not to tell her husband.

Sometime later, Pierre informs Jacques that Jean is accusing him of raping Marguerite. Despite the count's attempt to exert his authority, Jean appeals his case directly to King Charles and requests a duel to the death. Jacques accepts Jean's challenge.

Chapter Three ("The Truth")[edit]​

Marguerite and Jean's marriage becomes strained by her failure to become pregnant. After meeting Jacques, Marguerite informs her friends she showed him kindness only to try and win court favor. When Jean leaves for Scotland, he orders her not to leave the castle or let anyone inside.

Jean's mother takes all the servants with her on an errand despite Jean's order. Jacques shows up with a servant who tricks Marguerite into letting them enter. Jacques chases Marguerite to her bedroom and violently rapes her. When Jean returns, Marguerite tells him what happened. Jean's mother later warns Marguerite against bringing Jacques to trial.

At Jacques' trial, a now-pregnant Marguerite remains resolute that she is telling the truth. Charles VI grants Jean's request for a duel to the death. Marguerite confronts Jean for not telling her she would be burned alive if he failed. Marguerite gives birth to her son days before the duel is set to take place.

The duel begins with Jean and Jacques jousting until both men lose their mounts and fight hand-to-hand. Jean is stabbed but eventually manages to pin down Jacques. He demands that Jacques confess or face damnation, but Jacques claims his innocence; Jean kills him. Jean basks in the glory of his victory while Marguerite follows quietly behind.

A textual epilogue reveals that Jean died fighting in the Crusades a few years later while Marguerite continued managing his estate and lived in peace for the remaining thirty years of her life, never marrying again.

Caligullfree

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
72,710 2,897 1,014
Alleybux
Boomer here and Mother of Millennials & Gen Z.

This should/could of been a series on HBOMAX or something and then my old-ass may have watched it. Those types of movies do well as a series. When is Hollywood going to learn that the game has changed?

Can anybody imagine Game of Thrones being crammed into an into an 3 hour movie?

Times have changed. Adapt or give it up. And I happen to like Mr. Scott.

The story was DUMB and could not have lasted through a series. His whole explanation was a cop out for the fact that old white men keep getting play from other old white men to tell the same dumbass stories but they are out numbered by people not like them and nobody cares. H is trying to protect his own ass and get bank rolled for the next project,

But we should wanna be taught and be told it through a Hollyweird movie run by white men

countess-vaughn.gif

He trying to drive some demand for this pathetic movie. He tried it. Here's the entire plot summary from wikipedia below and just in case TLDR...Feudal Best friends fight over petty ish and start hating each other. One friend is broke (Matt Damon). Broke friend marries white woman (Jodie Comer) for money. Ex bestie (Adam Driver) thinks she likes him and rapes ex broke besties wife. Broke bestie asks king if he can duel ex-bestier, Broke bestie kills ex bestie, Broke bestie dies later and white woman lives alone "peacefully"

Don't give these bitchasses a dime through streaming or nuthin. This story was DUMB and VERY WHITE. These white men thought they could appeal to white women indignation on having to marry their asses but nobody cares anymore about none of this.

Chapter One[edit]​

After serving in the Caroline War, Jean de Carrouges and his friend, squire Jacques Le Gris swear fealty to Count Pierre d'Alençon, who has been named Jean's overlord by his cousin, King Charles VI. Jacques later informs Jean that Pierre has ordered his new vassals to pay war levies, agreeing to ask for leniency on Jean's behalf when de Carrouges explains he lacks the funds.

To restore his finances, Jean marries Marguerite de Thibouville, receiving a large dowry and the rights to many valuable estates. Pierre, however, has already gifted one piece of land to Jacques. When Jean sues for the land to be given to him, King Charles dismisses the suit. Pierre retaliates by appointing Jacques to the captaincy of a fort that Jean's family had held for generations.

A military campaign in Scotland leaves Jean knighted for bravery but bankrupt. When he comes home from a visit to Paris, Marguerite tells him that Jacques raped her while she was home alone. Knowing that Pierre protects Jacques, Jean resolves to challenge him to a duel to the death, a request which Charles VI grants.

Chapter Two[edit]​

Jacques wins Pierre's trust by using his knowledge of mathematics to organize the count's finances, earning him a position at court. Upon meeting Marguerite, Jacques falls in love with her and becomes convinced that she loves him after she shows him kindness.

While Jean is away, his mother takes the servants to help her with errands, leaving Marguerite alone. Jacques has his servant knock on the door, claiming his horse has thrown a shoe. She allows the man in, but he is followed quickly by Jacques, who declares his love for Marguerite. She insists she is married and orders them to leave. Instead, Jacques chases Marguerite up to her bedchamber and rapes her. Before leaving, he advises her not to tell her husband.

Sometime later, Pierre informs Jacques that Jean is accusing him of raping Marguerite. Despite the count's attempt to exert his authority, Jean appeals his case directly to King Charles and requests a duel to the death. Jacques accepts Jean's challenge.

Chapter Three ("The Truth")[edit]​

Marguerite and Jean's marriage becomes strained by her failure to become pregnant. After meeting Jacques, Marguerite informs her friends she showed him kindness only to try and win court favor. When Jean leaves for Scotland, he orders her not to leave the castle or let anyone inside.

Jean's mother takes all the servants with her on an errand despite Jean's order. Jacques shows up with a servant who tricks Marguerite into letting them enter. Jacques chases Marguerite to her bedroom and violently rapes her. When Jean returns, Marguerite tells him what happened. Jean's mother later warns Marguerite against bringing Jacques to trial.

At Jacques' trial, a now-pregnant Marguerite remains resolute that she is telling the truth. Charles VI grants Jean's request for a duel to the death. Marguerite confronts Jean for not telling her she would be burned alive if he failed. Marguerite gives birth to her son days before the duel is set to take place.

The duel begins with Jean and Jacques jousting until both men lose their mounts and fight hand-to-hand. Jean is stabbed but eventually manages to pin down Jacques. He demands that Jacques confess or face damnation, but Jacques claims his innocence; Jean kills him. Jean basks in the glory of his victory while Marguerite follows quietly behind.

A textual epilogue reveals that Jean died fighting in the Crusades a few years later while Marguerite continued managing his estate and lived in peace for the remaining thirty years of her life, never marrying again.

Inana

Bene Gesserit
Reaction score
Reactions
297,088 6,312 1,527
Alleybux
Is he sure that Disney did a great job marketing the film cause I never saw a preview for it. And I'm super into movies...

Also going by that plot summary, this movies sounds stupid.

stevvaa

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
86,855 9,220 3,637
Alleybux
When I see certain movie trailers all I think is “white men doing white men sh!t” we’ve seen it a thousand times it’s almost a joke . I’m only going to the theater for something original that I feel like I’ve never seen.

Lapislazulee

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
125,461 6,081 3,960
Alleybux
Excuses because he didn’t read the room or trends. Like one font said this is mini series material.

also people didn’t forget about that abomination called sorry exodus : gods and kings not gods of Egypt

both were terrible.

Last edited:

sweet_shaleen

Truth don't need motivation - Katt Williams 2024
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
63,344 1,367 257
Alleybux
I saw the trailer and was not interested in seeing it. Epic stories like these need to be made into series. Otherwise, people won't be bothered. Also, they need to market movies differently. They need to release movies in theaters and VOD if they want to make a certain profit. People are still afraid of Covid. Directors like Scott and Spielberg need to get with the times. The only old school director that understood is Scorsese.

soul sun love

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
214,690 2,515 318
Alleybux
I feel like Hulu gave me a million commercials for this damn movie. Maybe people had no interest in seeing a movie dubbed "medieval metoo" written by and starring two men that got metoo-ed. Maybe Matt shouldn't have said he still uses "f@***t" in jokes so close to releasing his movie. Maybe they shouldn't have released this movie in the middle of anticipated blockbusters during a freaking pandemic. Maybe people no longer feel they have to watch all white movies when diversity is starting to catch up with the times. Or maybe people just aren't into medieval movies like they used to be. Outside of Star Wars, Adam mostly does small and indie films and Jodie isn't big either. But sure, just blame "millennials".

Tired of these directors acting like we would be lost without them. Took me all of 10 minutes to research the history of this story without any hollywood dramatization. Not like knowing any of this will add anything to my life.

Sallie Blair

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
449,364 14,182 6,597
Alleybux
I wanted to see it, but it seemed like there was a lot of publicity then the red carpet premiere and then the movie was only in theaters for a week.

MissTake

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
49,226 1,590 809
Alleybux
Nobody wants to see a damn period piece movie about rape and murder!!

Girl!

not only that, but this movie is white AF. If you look at the pandemic performers, most (but not all) have diversity in the cast. Then here comes Ridley and this white on white crime period piece.

And I knew about the movie. Saw the ads. Like Jodie Comer. Still wasn’t going to the theaters for this.

Flirt Alert

♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡
Reaction score
Reactions
877 28 23
Alleybux
So annoying when older generations blame all societies problems on phones. Part of it is they just feel jealous ‘n left out, they want to have fun on their phones too but don’t know wtf they are doing lmao.

“Kids and their damn phones, go outside!” While they spend 8 hours a day in their recliner watching FOX news and playing solitaire on their iPad. Pshh.

RedPlum

Sing along if you know this one
Reaction score
Reactions
107,962 2,464 834
Alleybux
Millenia went out in droves to see black Panther (I saw it twice in theaters, using this as pre covid example) don't blame your movie response on the audience

JustOne

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
33,636 719 652
Alleybux
Have any movies really done that well since the pandemic? As a millennial, reading all that made me care even less. Never heard of this movie, not going to watch it, don’t care.

KozmicSlop

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
52,009 1,903 450
Alleybux
Nobody wants to see a medieval drama right now. I know I didn't want to see that cause I hate medieval period movies

DC123

Anna Mae
Reaction score
Reactions
221,967 5,786 517
Alleybux
Or maybe no one wanted to see a movie about a rape that is shown multiple times?

Hugs and Kisses

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
103,239 7,534 7,491
Alleybux
Lol, no one wanted to see that sh!t. Remember when he stated that he had to make that ancient Egypt project all white because no one is going to fund that sh!t otherwise and then the sh!t bombed?