RIP Geoffrey! Toys 'R Us Likely to Liquidate Stores

Doing the Most
Reactions
33,022 293 69
Alleybux
I was listening to GPB this morning and they were discussing how they went under. These investments firms along with competition ran it into the ground but that is business. Toys are use needed to adjust to the market and they didn't.

shiba inu lady ♡
Reactions
79,779 664 196
Alleybux
I had the Bratz section on deck! Bratz airplane, Bratz car with the stereo, Barbie dreamhouse, Barb's Volks Wagon with the Stickers and Convertable, can't forget the minivan...Oh those were the days.

Toys R Us was a wonderland

Reactions
7,387 122 31
Alleybux
Aww I remember when I was a kid, my family used to go out to this fat ass buffet and across the street was a Toys R Us. The days we got to go in and look at the toys were some of my happiest days, but my cheap ass parents never ever got me anything from there, not once. I always got toys from Target.

Reactions
43,354 391 71
Alleybux
This is truly sad to me. Kiddie City, KB toys (fuck you Mitt Romney), FAO Schwarz, now TRU...the experience of an actual toy store was a thing of beauty. To take a kid to a store where the whole place felt like it belonged to them was such a special treat to offer a kid as a reward. On their birthday when TRU would send a kid that gift card and then give a kid that balloon in store and make the announcement that it was their birthday so if you see them wish them a happy birthday....what a moment for the kids. To me they were overpriced in some areas, but comparable or even better in others. For example, anytime the new Pokemon games came out they would have the buy one get one 1/2 off so I would get my son both games. They also had the exclusive systems which he loved. I'll miss that about them.

I'm not a fan of these places getting rid of all of the brick and mortar businesses. I remember when KB toys was picked apart and taken down. I wasn't the biggest KB fan, their stores were always crammed too tight, but it was a nice place to pop into at the mall. For those who don't remember how KB fell check out this video.

Reactions
147,879 4,516 2,496
Alleybux
Aww that toys r us big book for Christmas
277872_81e31519713f897b5976f955835545ebdd436aa8.jpg_facebook.jpg

I said in a previous thread that they should if started converting spaces in "fun zones". Make a real Barbie dream house kids could play in. Lego Land. Something kids could do for birthday parties. Game rooms. Bring back the arcade (which might not work bc kids hate leaving the house). Even a YouTube studio would have been cool. Branded with YouTube, and kids could make their own videos there. CHARGE for everything.

b.i.t.e.
Reactions
122,979 5,342 3,623
Alleybux
Toys-R-Us was awesome as a kid. I used to love the catalog that came to the house. But going to the actual store was legit fun, playing the video games until Mom Dukes would have to threaten me to leave LMAO.

Getting one of those tickets and having to go to the window to pick it up......AHHHH memories.

vbbuizuxilaz.jpg

My second job in high school was at TRU. I was a Storeroom Assembler (bikes, power wheels, swing sets, etc) I remember many days printing out those tickets for the floor after I built something for display.

Himeko Elizabeth
Reactions
39,854 642 240
Alleybux
Here I was thinking I was gonna run up on the one up the street and clean house... oh well.

I applied there like 6 times when I was looking for my first job, and they had the worlds longest online application with 2 assessments one was 20 or 30 mins long :cry: Never even gave me an interview!

Still, this is the end of an era, marking the fact that kids are probably not buying toys as much... but toys suck now.

I remember the mountains of toys r us bags we would sneak through when my parents were gone right before Christmas. Or going Christmas shopping for cousins and stuff there, ahhh.

I had the Bratz section on deck! Bratz airplane, Bratz car with the stereo, Barbie dreamhouse, Barb's Volks Wagon with the Stickers and Convertable, can't forget the minivan...Oh those were the days.

Toys R Us was a wonderland

DON'T do this

My first dollhous in 98' was heaven.

Pink section was lit for a long time but, Nothing touched when you started seeing all purple, don't even get me started on the illustrious Divas, the girls with the passion for fashion came out BITCH

https://*******************/8/7146/6578541463_f51b9b8eb4_b.jpg

ht_toy_year_2001_bratz_dolls_mga_entertainment_jc_150212_12x7_1600.jpg

I want to fight mattel for suing bratz

tenor.gif

Last edited:
Reactions
19,160 209 49
Alleybux
WHAT????
crying.gif

[Tearfully sings] I don't wanna grow up, cause if I did, I couldn't be a [starts to choke] Toys R Us kid.

I'll never forget the brawls that broke out in the aisles of Toys R Us over the hot new Christmas item The Cabbage Patch Kids. Or having to buy the Gobots because the Transformers were too expensive.

Child of the moon
Reactions
17,693 407 256
Alleybux
Going to Toys R Us as a kid, especially during the holidays was magical for me. I haven’t set foot in a Toys R Us store in about 16 years but still, it was so much fun as a child. It’s just not the same going through toy aisle in target or Walmart. But I guess everything has to come to an end and this is the end for toy r us. Sign of the times I guess.

Reactions
32,940 133 54
Alleybux
I knew this was gonna happen. When I was working there over the holidays for some extra cash, they kept fussing me out bc I wasn't asking ppl to sign up for their credit card. The whole time I'm like and for what? Where they gonna use it?? The gahdamn store(s) gonna close anyway....and lookie here.

Reactions
76,044 1,440 1,556
Alleybux
There are many places to buy toys. But it was fun to go to TRU even though they were more expensive than other stores. But like I always say. Every time a business closes, more people out of work.

Child of the moon
Reactions
17,693 407 256
Alleybux
Here I was thinking I was gonna run up on the one up the street and clean house... oh well.

I applied there like 6 times when I was looking for my first job, and they had the worlds longest online application with 2 assessments one was 20 or 30 mins long :cry: Never even gave me an interview!

Still, this is the end of an era, marking the fact that kids are probably not buying toys as much... but toys suck now.

I remember the mountains of toys r us bags we would sneak through when my parents were gone right before Christmas. Or going Christmas shopping for cousins and stuff there, ahhh.

DON'T do this

My first dollhous in 98' was heaven.

Pink section was lit for a long time but, Nothing touched when you started seeing all purple, don't even get me started on the illustrious Divas, the girls with the passion for fashion came out BITCH

https://*******************/8/7146/6578541463_f51b9b8eb4_b.jpg

ht_toy_year_2001_bratz_dolls_mga_entertainment_jc_150212_12x7_1600.jpg

I want to fight mattel for suing bratz

tenor.gif

Girl my bratz collection was on FLEEK! Lol

Reactions
5,265 166 185
Alleybux
I knew it was over once they shut down the one in Times Square. I remember being sneaky with my cousins at the candy land section. We went there to sneak eat some of the candy that you scoop and put in a plastic bag. An employee came up super pressed and said we can't eat those. I said "I thought we could sample these" she said no and took the candy I had lmao we died laughing.

0054763aa63acadacfbd017131f40a41.jpg

jugueteria-en-canada.x43795.jpg

e617e5d777c55be0ed685fb8252ba77b.jpg

200.gif

Reactions
3,913 52 22
Alleybux
We'd always take our kids there when it was their birthdays so they could get what they wanted, within reason of course.

So now TRU are having a sale but only taking 25% off the prices!.

Reactions
10,231 57 11
Alleybux
I'm sad af about this. As a 90s baby Toys R Us was the go to store for our toy shopping as a family. The catalogs came around the holidays and it was an exciting time always. I also loved watching the commercials and that iconic gingle. RIP Toys R Us you had a great run.

issa
Reactions
156,862 6,372 1,837
Alleybux
I never go in there because they are overpriced. You can get the same toy from Walmart for cheaper.

Kmart and Toys r us still assumed they were the only vendors offering certain goods. They were wrong.

Target will be next.

Reactions
16,426 248 66
Alleybux
I don't know what kind of Toy R Us some of y'all had, but they had all the unique toys. Walmart in my town could neva!

I'm glad my kids got to experience it. We just went there this past Christmas and the prices were not higher than Target or Walmart's. The popular toys were pretty much the same price.

It really is the end of an era and another store falls victim to the Amazon effect.

Ask LSA

The Lounge

General Alley

Recent Posts

Do white European men even like fat butts?
Are you married? Have you ever been married? I’m barely an adult, my love. Not thinking about getting married. And it’s gross to judge woman’s...
spin-off: what are reasons why some men prefer their women to be at home and not working/having...
Less drama. I don't want to hear about your work/business issues. I already have work/business issues. I want peace at home....or household...
I think she’s having a mental episode
Yes and if you pay attention closely is the reason why she’s shutting down her business. She also referred and addressed a lot of stuff in past...
RHOP RHOP - Oh No! Dr. Wendy's husband Eddie, allegedly CHEATING on her with a YT Woman & has a side...
I heard this months ago and if true I’ll be sad. Eddie seems like such a loving father and husband.
New York Who These Chicks Be Vol. 24
PPP to Feds Feds Feds .:no_mouth::no_mouth: I can’t help to think about the people who have actually ruined their lives because they wanted to be...
UPDATE Reddit Users Are LEGALLY Gaming The Stock Market...
$CTSI is now available on Coinbase. Going to do my DD. yess. I bought some before it went live on there so hopefully it pops off.
Travis Kelce is single
...but I thought he only dated black Same Tbh I can see him marrying a Black woman . I just don’t see him marrying Kayla based on how he acting...
The Keanu Reeves Discussion Thread
TishTash forgive me if I have not already thanked you Marared and Itfactory98 for your lovely gifts. I feel lucky now. I need to go into my...
Top Bottom