Quantcast

UPDATE Robyn Crawford Details Relationship With Whitney Houston in New Book

MrsArdethBay

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
6,204 391 55
Alleybux
You know thinking back on what BB stated I am beginning to see his statement in a different way "if Robyn was accepted in Whitney's life she would still be here" or something like that. I think Whitney missed the close friendship with Robyn but Whitney had to separate herself due to the tumultuous ebb and flow of having Robyn around because she became more toxic than productive; therefore it was necessary to cut ties and let the chips fall the way they may even if it fueled her addiction. Whitney was DONE with them ALL!
Robyn separated herself from Whitney.

curiousfind

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
41,956 1,265 484
Alleybux
Robyn separated herself from Whitney.

That could be true but things are never as they appear unless we know that for sure. I say that because all this time the world wondered why was BB blamed for Whitney's addiction and it was more than that but that's beside the point I want to make. In hindsight, I am leaning to the fact that Whitney went hard with BB not because she and BB had addictions in common it was getting the focus off Robyn sweating her for a lifestyle particularly the one she lives now with her wife. Robyn was never fond of Whitney's family nor they her and there in lies the struggle, the tension and confusion. Robyn couldn't wrestle Whitney to go against her family and leave them behind. Yes, Whitneys family had its dysfunction most do but the pressure to ditch her family had to weigh on her while managing her Brand, and two fighting physco's for her love and affection. If she walked away its because she couldn't get Whitney to turn against her family.

Actually, in the end for those who believe Whitney wanted the lifestyle Robyn planned failed to see or recognized some of Whitney's last days were spent with Kim Burrell in sisterhood and ministry. I doubt Whitney was secretly calling Robyn for a do over as she wrote in her book and if anyone's been keeping up with how Burrell was accused of being homophobic but yet Whitney found solace in being ministered by her. Burrell rubbed her feet and Whitney cries symbolizing for all she did for everyone here's someone that was showing unconditional love. All this time, Whitney was running game to cover Robyn's shid because BB was already wide open and didn't care how the public viewed him. The whole time she was running game protecting Robyn against the media but lost herself in the push and pull of it all.

THE STANDARD

GTFO!
Reaction score
Reactions
263,484 7,022 6,890
Alleybux
You know thinking back on what BB stated I am beginning to see his statement in a different way "if Robyn was accepted in Whitney's life she would still be here" or something like that. I think Whitney missed the close friendship with Robyn but Whitney had to separate herself due to the tumultuous ebb and flow of having Robyn around because she became more toxic than productive; therefore it was necessary to cut ties and let the chips fall the way they may even if it fueled her addiction. Whitney was DONE with them ALL!
“If Robyn was accepted”..If Bobby don’t shut his dumb, abusive, lying ass up.
People have to be mindful about repeating anything Bobby Brown says. If he’s not lying, he’s deflecting. Robyn said she “left” mainly because of clashing with Whitney’s idiot husband and not being able to get through to Whitney! Whitney also alluded to Bobby/ Robyn beefing over who would advice her! Bobby was the main agitator, divisive force in Whitney’s life but be won’t own up to that. I believe he only said that about Robyn to DEFLECT from his own abusive behavior. He wants to make Whitney’s issues/ death about “Robyn not being accepted,”rather the sh!t he put Whitney through. He despised Robyn even more than the Houston’s.
He’s very media savvy nowadays. His hoe wife’s trained him well like the dumb b!tch he is to say things that’ll gain traction/ make him look like the victim. Why didn’t he “accept” Robyn since she was sooo good for Whitney? It’s rich of him to LIE about that now.
Robyn was on Whitney’s payroll for 20 years! That’s a long time. She was accepted until SHE crossed boundaries with Whitney. Robyn also had her OWN selfish motives for “leaving” because Whitney no longer treated her like a bff. She got an ego too and she talks about Whitney’s accomplishments as a “we” “our” thing.. Even the national anthem
Performance, Robyn inserts herself ‘cause she allegedly picked out that outfit? Smh. Had she wiped Whitney’s ass one TIME, it would’ve been her proudest moment!

Cissy said Whitney was depressed even before Robyn “left” because of things Bobby was putting her through. Robyn decided to “leave” when Whitney was already down! Bobby got arrested almost every week, crashed Whitney’s cars, cheating, acted a fool everywhere!
God’s dealing with his sorry ass now ‘cause he hasn’t had one moment of peace/ happiness since Whitney left earth. God don’t like ugly ass men who lie...

But you’re right. Whitney was so tired. Her whole crew was full of trifling, useless, underachieving, broke, losers! Whitney was financially supporting grown ass people( her family AND Robyn) since she was 18!

Last edited:

Lilac89

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
3,729 84 12
Alleybux
Lmao! Glad you were there to read the “Whole Bible” with her. Knowing that “God exists” is different from being spiritual and wearing your faith on your sleeve like Whitney did. My point was, Robyn in actuality was very different from Whitney’s other friends who all seemed to be closer in thinking/behavior/ beliefs with Cissy. Cece was probably the warmest and the one she admired the most. I remember Whitney saying she used to call “Pebbles” in the middle of the night to talk about their husbands/ marriage stuff...that wasn’t something she could do with Robyn. Seemed Whitney REALLY loved the idea of “Sisterhood.” ROBYNETTES, all I’m saying is I understand why Whitney and Robyn outgrew eachother and drifted apart.. even without Bobby’s asshole/ abusive behavior.
In my opinion I think once Whitney met CeCe Winans in the 80s, I think Whitney was in a hunt for a new best friend. Once Whitney met CeCe she was slowly removing Robin as her best friend and letting CeCe have the true best friend title. Just my opinion.

lovefever775

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
3,253 96 93
Alleybux
hmm some of you guys saying robyn wanted to be relied upon more and be her manager... i never thought of it that way but now looking back I think when she mentioned not being allowed in meeting with clive she was bothered. she really wanted more from Whitney and for some delusional reason thought it would happen and once she realized none of it was going her way she ditched Whitney. what a good friend

Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
3,245 149 87
Alleybux
Why would you start this again? There is an old thread about that go read those comments or something.

Looking back the obsession with these two women’s xes lives with each other (or lack thereof) is weird ash. When we can be focusing on what whit did freely share with us, her music and voice.

What happened between them, why it happened doesn’t matter and it never should have. For all we know they may have never even slept together in the first place. Now can we please leave the deceased and their xes lives alone? Damn

Violet Trace

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
54,753 833 210
Alleybux
After dang near 40 years it shouldn't even matter how long that relationship was. It's annoying when fans want to know every miniscule detail of Whitney's life. If you're a fan of her musical genius, should who she slept with and how long really matter? Let her have something that is not dissected and criticized ad infinitum by fans.

Reaction score
Reactions
9,841 150 67
Alleybux
Why would you start this again? There is an old thread about that go read those comments or something.

Looking back obsession with these two women’s xes lives with each other (or lack thereof) is weird ash.

What happened between them, why it happened doesn’t matter and it never should have. For all we know they may have never even slept together in the first place. Now can we please leave the deceased and their xes lives alone? Damn
I want to see what people think and that’s why I started the thread . We debate and have discussions on LSA all the time . I understand if you don’t want to participate but please leave room for those that want to discuss it .

Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
3,245 149 87
Alleybux
I want to see what people think and that’s why I started the thread . We debate and have discussions on LSA all the time . I understand if you don’t want to participate but please leave room for those that want to discuss it .
There is a discussion about this already in that Robyn Crawford book thread and I know you’ve been in it. So why exactly are you rehashing it? If this stuff genuinely interests you then lolaluvsyou on youtube is your girl, her and her little fans stay obsessing over their ‘intimacy’. I’m just making my view clear, that’s all.

Reaction score
Reactions
9,841 150 67
Alleybux
There is a discussion about this already in that Robyn Crawford book thread and I know you’ve been in it. So why exactly are you rehashing it? If this stuff genuinely interests you then lolaluvsyou on youtube is your girl, her and her little fans stay obsessing over their ‘intimacy’. I’m just making my view clear, that’s all.
I respect your view but I still want to see what other people think you know?

Nippian

Do Not Quote Me With Nonsense
Reaction score
Reactions
38,359 398 237
Alleybux
No.

There is a thread about this stupid book, in which it has been discussed ad nauseam.

What's the point of bringing this nonsense to this forum again ?

Reaction score
Reactions
9,841 150 67
Alleybux
No.

There is a thread about this stupid book, in which it has been discussed ad nauseam.

What's the point of bringing this nonsense to this forum again ?
Well that thread is so long and people are fighting more than actually having a debate and its hard to read past all of that. . I wanted to create a spinoff specifically about this topic , perhaps I can hear from the other side and see why they feel how they feel.

Tylerdagreat

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
66,640 10,709 609
Alleybux

Inside Whitney Houston’s secret torment for being gay, falling for a woman​

By
Caroline Howe
February 5, 2022 7:56am
Updated
Robyn Crawford and Whitney Houston met as youth counselors at New Jersey's East Orange Community Center -- and fell for each other.
Robyn Crawford and Whitney Houston met as youth counselors at New Jersey's East Orange Community Center -- and fell for each other.Courtesy of Robyn Crawford

MORE ON:WHITNEY HOUSTON

Whitney Houston was the perfect face for the MTV-dominated 1980s, “a glamorous showgirl shaped by a Svengali” – the powerful Arista Records producer Clive Davis.
But she also possessed a deep, dark secret: she was a closeted lesbian, writes author Gerrick Kennedy in his new book, “Didn’t We Almost Have It All: In Defense of Whitney Houston” (Abrams Press), out Tuesday.
Feeling pressure to conform to her strict religious upbringing and the norms of the time, Whitney hid her sexuality from the public till her tragic death, which happened 10 years ago this week.
“Because her music didn’t fit squarely in the boxes expected of a Black girl making music in the ’80s, she was seen as not Black enough. She was ridiculed. Brandished ‘Whitey’ — and endured endless speculation on her sexuality,” the author notes.
Raised in Newark, NJ, Whitney was under the thumb of her mother, Cissy, a devout church member of Newark’s New Hope Baptist Church and a member of the gospel singing clan, the Drinkard Sisters.
Houston was at the top of her game on Nov. 22, 2009 — but behind the scenes she was battling multiple demons. Houston was at the top of her game in 2009 (above) — but behind the scenes she was battling multiple demons.Getty Images
The Drinkards played the “Chitlin’ Circuit,” performing at black venues throughout the South. Cissy was a star in her own right — singing backup to the King himself, Elvis Presley, and Aretha Franklin, the Queen of Soul.
Even as a little girl, Whitney felt different. She was a tomboy and bristled at wearing the frilly clothes and hair ribbons chosen by her mother. She preferred jeans, t-shirts and running track with her two older brothers, Gary and Michael.
Whitney Houston’s mother, Cissy, made her hide her budding lesbian sexuality, according to a new book. Whitney Houston’s mother, Cissy, made her hide her budding lesbian sexuality, according to a new book.
The three children floated between the homes of relatives when the parents were working and Cissy was on the road. Soon, Whitney was swept up in Cissy’s all-consuming desire to push her into the singing business.
“Cissy knew Whitney was destined for greatness and she could get her there. She rode her hard at church and encouraged her little girl to sing along to the records she and Aretha made. She didn’t take no sh!t,” Kennedy writes.
Raised in Newark, NJ, Whitney was under the thumb of her mother, a devout member of Newark’s New Hope Baptist Church. Raised in Newark, NJ, Whitney was under the thumb of her mother, a devout member of Newark’s New Hope Baptist Church.
Cissy’s solo career didn’t take off and although she was in demand as a backup singer, the recording industry was fickle. Whitney’s cousin, chart topping R&B singer Dionne Warwick, also helped encourage the young girl’s vocal talent, viewed as the family’s ticket out of poverty.
At the same time, Whitney was exploring her identity. In the summer of 1980, when she was 17, she introduced herself to a stunning, slender 19-year-old, Robyn Crawford, when they were both working as youth counselors at the East Orange Community Center in NJ.
Whitney’s cousin, chart topping R&B singer Dionne Warwick, also helped encourage the young girl’s vocal talent, viewed as the family’s ticket out of poverty. Whitney’s cousin, chart topping R&B singer Dionne Warwick, also helped encourage the young girl’s vocal talent, viewed as the family’s ticket out of poverty.WireImage
“It was a bond that formed almost immediately, and they were inseparable that summer. If you saw one, you saw the other,” writes Kennedy.
Crawford, Whitney’s first close friend, confidante and companion outside of her brothers, had Whitney’s back and was “unyieldingly loyal.”
With Crawford, Houston could be the tomboy who preferred smoking Newports, getting high and cursing.
An undated photo of Houston with a group of friends including Robyn Crawford (front row, in hat), Houston's personal assistant and secret lover. An undated photo of Houston with a group of friends including Robyn Crawford (front row, in hat), Houston’s personal assistant and secret lover.INFphoto.com
In the Houston living room that same year, Whitney and Robyn came together. “Their lips met, bound by all that had been unspoken between the two. That first kiss was long, warm like honey,” Kennedy writes.
“It was free and honest – loving and tender,” Robyn wrote in her 2019 memoir, “A Song For You: My Life With Whitney Houston,” after decades of silence. “We both wanted to touch and explore each other, and we did until we fell asleep in each other’s arms.”
Houston (center) pictured (from left) with brother Michael, Robyn Crawford, brother Gary, and Ellen “Aunt Bae” White. Houston (center) pictured (from left) with brother Michael, Robyn Crawford, brother Gary, and Ellen “Aunt Bae” White.
Together that summer, they sunbathed at the Jersey Shore, went to gay clubs, and made out in a rental car before being told to move along by a cop.
Robyn drove Whitney to club shows, Whitney attended Robyn’s college basketball games. They also trekked to Harlem to buy a dime bag of weed and score cocaine, Robyn wrote.
“They were partners in a traditional sense but never had a real conversation about labels — lesbian, gay, bisexual, girlfriend,” Kennedy writes.
Robyn Crawford (left) and Houston at a function in 1988. Their constant closeness set tongues wagging, but Houston never came out of the closet. Robyn Crawford (left) and Houston at a function in 1988. Their constant closeness set tongues wagging, but Houston never came out of the closet.Getty Images
“We were friends. We were lovers. We were everything to each other. We weren’t falling in love. We just were. We were one: that’s how it felt,” Robyn wrote in her book.
In bed, they plotted songs Whitney would sing — and their future.
In that same summer of 1980, they got an apartment together and Whitney promised to take Robyn wherever she was headed, Kennedy writes.
Crawford had a strained relationship with Houston’s mom, Cissy, seen here at a Whitney Houston comeback concert on “Good Morning America.” Crawford had a strained relationship with Houston’s mom, Cissy, seen here at a Whitney Houston comeback concert on “Good Morning America.”BEN LARSEN/Newscom/MEGA
But when whispers of the girl-girl relationship reached Cissy’s ear, she had a fit and tried to keep the two from even walking next to each other in public.
‘We were friends. We were lovers. We were everything to each other.’
Robyn Crawford, on her relationship with Whitney Houston
The church and the record industry were both so homophobic, Whitney knew the affair had to end when Clive Davis gave her a record deal. She broke the news to Robyn.
“You know how I feel about you and we will always have that,” Whitney told her sweetheart, Kennedy writes.
Houston and Crawford Crawford kept quiet about her relationship with the singer until several years after her death.
With her 1985 debut single, Whitney Houston was “on fire out the gate.” Her first album soared to No. 1 in 1987 and by the early 1990s, she had 10 No. 1 singles.
The love affair with Robyn was over the summer it began but Whitney made her an executive assistant — “a role that expanded over time,” Kennedy writes.
That role did nothing to quiet the rumors. When Whitney wanted to fly Robyn out to join her at a black radio convention in 1985, radio DJs and the tabloids caught wind of it — and the chatter was deafening.
Whitney Houston’s first album soared to No. 1 in 1987 and by the early 1990s, she had 10 No. 1 singles.Getty Images
“Was she gay?” they wanted to know.
“The public concluded that Whitney was a closet lesbian and she and Robyn were star-crossed lovers doomed by the oppression of society and Whitney’s religious family,” Kennedy writes.
When the Washington Post asked the singer about the nature of her friendship with Robyn, she snapped, “She is now my employee but we’re still the best of friends.”
Houston performing on stage during the 2004 World Music Awards. Eight years later, her life came to a tragic end. Houston performing on stage during the 2004 World Music Awards. Eight years later, her life came to a tragic end.Getty Images
Whitney eventually turned to Bobby Brown, a singer from the projects of Roxbury, Mass., who liked the funk of James Brown and Earth, Wind and Fire, and formed a group called New Edition. His “loud, ghetto fabulous” black music made him an R&B king and girls threw their panties at him on stage.
Their partnership made sense: Bobby needed to class up his bad boy image and Whitney needed to escape the gay rumors. They tied the knot in 1992.
“White America looked at Whitney and Bobby and saw a pop princess and an R&B thug…The princess and the frog, that’s how we talked about their relationship. That’s the image that lingered for the entirety of their 15-year marriage,” Kennedy writes.
Once considered American’s sweetheart, Houston sings the National Anthem during the pregame show at Super Bowl XXV in 1991. Once considered America’s sweetheart, Houston sings the National Anthem during the pregame show at Super Bowl XXV in 1991.Getty Images
And yet, four years after they wed, Katie Couric asked Whitney about Robyn and the gay rumors once again. This time, she responded awkwardly.
“This wasn’t her world,” she said of Robyn. “I brought her into this madness. She goes, ‘Why am I the target? What did I do?’
“I said, ‘You’re my friend…You play basketball. They think you’re a man.’
“She’s a damn good basketball player. She can beat any guy there is. I love it,” laughing nervously.
Houston with husband Bobby Brown and their infant daughter Bobbi Kristina, who died three years after her mother. Houston with husband Bobby Brown and their infant daughter Bobbi Kristina, who died three years after her mother.Getty Images
For 15 years, Robyn stayed close by as Whitney’s executive assistant and friend.
It was Robyn who went to Cissy worried about Whitney’s cocaine addiction back in the ’80s. Cissy confronted Whitney who brushed it off and told her mother Robyn was just overreacting.
But her drug abuse was rampant and spiraling out of control.
On February 11, 2012, at age 48, the star was found face down in a water-filled bathtub at the Beverly Hilton Hotel.
Crawford has finally found happiness with wife Lisa Hintelmann (above, left). Crawford has finally found happiness with wife Lisa Hintelmann (above, left).Instagram
The forensic toxicologist reported at the time she was “acutely intoxicated from cocaine.”
Seeing the bruise on Whitney’s left forehead, forensic pathologist Cyril Wecht believed it was an accidental drowning and “this lady fell into the water, she was unconscious, dead or dying when she fell into the tub.”
Didn't We Almost Have it All
At the time of her death, a brown wig was tightly affixed to her head and she was wearing dentures. (Tooth decay is common among habitual drug abusers.)
Robyn, now 61, didn’t speak about her romantic history with Whitney for nearly 40 years until she published her memoir.
Eventually, she found stability with Lisa Hintelmann, 49, an executive director at a talent search firm. They married and later adopted twins.
“I realized that I needed to save myself,” Robyn wrote in her memoir.
Of her time with Whitney, she said, “Yes, in the end it was tragic, but the dream and the rise were beautiful. I owe it to my friend to share her story, my story. Our story. And I hope that in doing so, I can set us free.”

Fabricia Crasher

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
39,223 3,855 3,391
Alleybux

Inside Whitney Houston’s secret torment for being gay, falling for a woman​

By
Caroline Howe
February 5, 2022 7:56am
Updated
Robyn Crawford and Whitney Houston met as youth counselors at New Jersey's East Orange Community Center -- and fell for each other.'s East Orange Community Center -- and fell for each other.
Robyn Crawford and Whitney Houston met as youth counselors at New Jersey's East Orange Community Center -- and fell for each other.Courtesy of Robyn Crawford

MORE ON:WHITNEY HOUSTON

Whitney Houston was the perfect face for the MTV-dominated 1980s, “a glamorous showgirl shaped by a Svengali” – the powerful Arista Records producer Clive Davis.
But she also possessed a deep, dark secret: she was a closeted lesbian, writes author Gerrick Kennedy in his new book, “Didn’t We Almost Have It All: In Defense of Whitney Houston” (Abrams Press), out Tuesday.
Feeling pressure to conform to her strict religious upbringing and the norms of the time, Whitney hid her sexuality from the public till her tragic death, which happened 10 years ago this week.
“Because her music didn’t fit squarely in the boxes expected of a Black girl making music in the ’80s, she was seen as not Black enough. She was ridiculed. Brandished ‘Whitey’ — and endured endless speculation on her sexuality,” the author notes.
Raised in Newark, NJ, Whitney was under the thumb of her mother, Cissy, a devout church member of Newark’s New Hope Baptist Church and a member of the gospel singing clan, the Drinkard Sisters.
Houston was at the top of her game on Nov. 22, 2009 — but behind the scenes she was battling multiple demons. Houston was at the top of her game in 2009 (above) — but behind the scenes she was battling multiple demons.Getty Images
The Drinkards played the “Chitlin’ Circuit,” performing at black venues throughout the South. Cissy was a star in her own right — singing backup to the King himself, Elvis Presley, and Aretha Franklin, the Queen of Soul.
Even as a little girl, Whitney felt different. She was a tomboy and bristled at wearing the frilly clothes and hair ribbons chosen by her mother. She preferred jeans, t-shirts and running track with her two older brothers, Gary and Michael.
Whitney Houston’s mother, Cissy, made her hide her budding lesbian sexuality, according to a new book. Whitney Houston’s mother, Cissy, made her hide her budding lesbian sexuality, according to a new book.
The three children floated between the homes of relatives when the parents were working and Cissy was on the road. Soon, Whitney was swept up in Cissy’s all-consuming desire to push her into the singing business.
“Cissy knew Whitney was destined for greatness and she could get her there. She rode her hard at church and encouraged her little girl to sing along to the records she and Aretha made. She didn’t take no sh!t,” Kennedy writes.
Raised in Newark, NJ, Whitney was under the thumb of her mother, a devout member of Newark’s New Hope Baptist Church. Raised in Newark, NJ, Whitney was under the thumb of her mother, a devout member of Newark’s New Hope Baptist Church.
Cissy’s solo career didn’t take off and although she was in demand as a backup singer, the recording industry was fickle. Whitney’s cousin, chart topping R&B singer Dionne Warwick, also helped encourage the young girl’s vocal talent, viewed as the family’s ticket out of poverty.
At the same time, Whitney was exploring her identity. In the summer of 1980, when she was 17, she introduced herself to a stunning, slender 19-year-old, Robyn Crawford, when they were both working as youth counselors at the East Orange Community Center in NJ.
Whitney’s cousin, chart topping R&B singer Dionne Warwick, also helped encourage the young girl’s vocal talent, viewed as the family’s ticket out of poverty. Whitney’s cousin, chart topping R&B singer Dionne Warwick, also helped encourage the young girl’s vocal talent, viewed as the family’s ticket out of poverty.WireImage
“It was a bond that formed almost immediately, and they were inseparable that summer. If you saw one, you saw the other,” writes Kennedy.
Crawford, Whitney’s first close friend, confidante and companion outside of her brothers, had Whitney’s back and was “unyieldingly loyal.”
With Crawford, Houston could be the tomboy who preferred smoking Newports, getting high and cursing.
An undated photo of Houston with a group of friends including Robyn Crawford (front row, in hat), Houston's personal assistant and secret lover.'s personal assistant and secret lover. An undated photo of Houston with a group of friends including Robyn Crawford (front row, in hat), Houston’s personal assistant and secret lover.INFphoto.com
In the Houston living room that same year, Whitney and Robyn came together. “Their lips met, bound by all that had been unspoken between the two. That first kiss was long, warm like honey,” Kennedy writes.
“It was free and honest – loving and tender,” Robyn wrote in her 2019 memoir, “A Song For You: My Life With Whitney Houston,” after decades of silence. “We both wanted to touch and explore each other, and we did until we fell asleep in each other’s arms.”
Houston (center) pictured (from left) with brother Michael, Robyn Crawford, brother Gary, and Ellen “Aunt Bae” White. Houston (center) pictured (from left) with brother Michael, Robyn Crawford, brother Gary, and Ellen “Aunt Bae” White.
Together that summer, they sunbathed at the Jersey Shore, went to gay clubs, and made out in a rental car before being told to move along by a cop.
Robyn drove Whitney to club shows, Whitney attended Robyn’s college basketball games. They also trekked to Harlem to buy a dime bag of weed and score cocaine, Robyn wrote.
“They were partners in a traditional sense but never had a real conversation about labels — lesbian, gay, bisexual, girlfriend,” Kennedy writes.
Robyn Crawford (left) and Houston at a function in 1988. Their constant closeness set tongues wagging, but Houston never came out of the closet. Robyn Crawford (left) and Houston at a function in 1988. Their constant closeness set tongues wagging, but Houston never came out of the closet.Getty Images
“We were friends. We were lovers. We were everything to each other. We weren’t falling in love. We just were. We were one: that’s how it felt,” Robyn wrote in her book.
In bed, they plotted songs Whitney would sing — and their future.
In that same summer of 1980, they got an apartment together and Whitney promised to take Robyn wherever she was headed, Kennedy writes.
Crawford had a strained relationship with Houston’s mom, Cissy, seen here at a Whitney Houston comeback concert on “Good Morning America.” Crawford had a strained relationship with Houston’s mom, Cissy, seen here at a Whitney Houston comeback concert on “Good Morning America.”BEN LARSEN/Newscom/MEGA
But when whispers of the girl-girl relationship reached Cissy’s ear, she had a fit and tried to keep the two from even walking next to each other in public.

The church and the record industry were both so homophobic, Whitney knew the affair had to end when Clive Davis gave her a record deal. She broke the news to Robyn.
“You know how I feel about you and we will always have that,” Whitney told her sweetheart, Kennedy writes.
Houston and Crawford Crawford kept quiet about her relationship with the singer until several years after her death.
With her 1985 debut single, Whitney Houston was “on fire out the gate.” Her first album soared to No. 1 in 1987 and by the early 1990s, she had 10 No. 1 singles.
The love affair with Robyn was over the summer it began but Whitney made her an executive assistant — “a role that expanded over time,” Kennedy writes.
That role did nothing to quiet the rumors. When Whitney wanted to fly Robyn out to join her at a black radio convention in 1985, radio DJs and the tabloids caught wind of it — and the chatter was deafening.
Whitney Houston’s first album soared to No. 1 in 1987 and by the early 1990s, she had 10 No. 1 singles.Getty Images
“Was she gay?” they wanted to know.
“The public concluded that Whitney was a closet lesbian and she and Robyn were star-crossed lovers doomed by the oppression of society and Whitney’s religious family,” Kennedy writes.
When the Washington Post asked the singer about the nature of her friendship with Robyn, she snapped, “She is now my employee but we’re still the best of friends.”
Houston performing on stage during the 2004 World Music Awards. Eight years later, her life came to a tragic end. Houston performing on stage during the 2004 World Music Awards. Eight years later, her life came to a tragic end.Getty Images
Whitney eventually turned to Bobby Brown, a singer from the projects of Roxbury, Mass., who liked the funk of James Brown and Earth, Wind and Fire, and formed a group called New Edition. His “loud, ghetto fabulous” black music made him an R&B king and girls threw their panties at him on stage.
Their partnership made sense: Bobby needed to class up his bad boy image and Whitney needed to escape the gay rumors. They tied the knot in 1992.
“White America looked at Whitney and Bobby and saw a pop princess and an R&B thug…The princess and the frog, that’s how we talked about their relationship. That’s the image that lingered for the entirety of their 15-year marriage,” Kennedy writes.
Once considered American’s sweetheart, Houston sings the National Anthem during the pregame show at Super Bowl XXV in 1991. Once considered America’s sweetheart, Houston sings the National Anthem during the pregame show at Super Bowl XXV in 1991.Getty Images
And yet, four years after they wed, Katie Couric asked Whitney about Robyn and the gay rumors once again. This time, she responded awkwardly.
“This wasn’t her world,” she said of Robyn. “I brought her into this madness. She goes, ‘Why am I the target? What did I do?’
“I said, ‘You’re my friend…You play basketball. They think you’re a man.’
“She’s a damn good basketball player. She can beat any guy there is. I love it,” laughing nervously.
Houston with husband Bobby Brown and their infant daughter Bobbi Kristina, who died three years after her mother. Houston with husband Bobby Brown and their infant daughter Bobbi Kristina, who died three years after her mother.Getty Images
For 15 years, Robyn stayed close by as Whitney’s executive assistant and friend.
It was Robyn who went to Cissy worried about Whitney’s cocaine addiction back in the ’80s. Cissy confronted Whitney who brushed it off and told her mother Robyn was just overreacting.
But her drug abuse was rampant and spiraling out of control.
On February 11, 2012, at age 48, the star was found face down in a water-filled bathtub at the Beverly Hilton Hotel.
Crawford has finally found happiness with wife Lisa Hintelmann (above, left). Crawford has finally found happiness with wife Lisa Hintelmann (above, left).Instagram
The forensic toxicologist reported at the time she was “acutely intoxicated from cocaine.”
Seeing the bruise on Whitney’s left forehead, forensic pathologist Cyril Wecht believed it was an accidental drowning and “this lady fell into the water, she was unconscious, dead or dying when she fell into the tub.”
Didn't We Almost Have it All't We Almost Have it All
At the time of her death, a brown wig was tightly affixed to her head and she was wearing dentures. (Tooth decay is common among habitual drug abusers.)
Robyn, now 61, didn’t speak about her romantic history with Whitney for nearly 40 years until she published her memoir.
Eventually, she found stability with Lisa Hintelmann, 49, an executive director at a talent search firm. They married and later adopted twins.
“I realized that I needed to save myself,” Robyn wrote in her memoir.
Of her time with Whitney, she said, “Yes, in the end it was tragic, but the dream and the rise were beautiful. I owe it to my friend to share her story, my story. Our story. And I hope that in doing so, I can set us free.”

What hurts the most to me is that she would be a happier person if she lived her truth. People around her were the most EVIL, NASTY human beings i've ever seen. They literally helped her to end her life.

Gladly, she'll never be forgotten.

TootieRamsey

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
12,571 525 12
Alleybux

THE STANDARD

GTFO!
Reaction score
Reactions
263,484 7,022 6,890
Alleybux
Has Bobby or anyone else spoke about Whitney's supposed gayness?

Bobby has spoken about Whitney's sexuality in the past, believing she was bisexual.

Anything Bobby Brown says should be taken with a grain of salt because one thing we know for a fact is, Bobby is a pathological liar. He told Shawn Robinson he never witnessed Whitney showing/ being interested in women but Bobby will say anything at this point to make Whitney look bad. It’s beyond disgusting that they won’t let Whitney Rest In Peace.
Robyn flat out said Whitney wasn’t gay. The most we found out was, Whitney experimented as a TEEN, a 16 y.o. Not even as an adult. She identified as a heterosexual woman and dated men her entire adult life despite Robyn being in her life. Whitney was upset and hurt by these rumors. This gay man is Ofcourse sensationalizing her life, using Whitney for his agenda knowing full well it’s beyond disrespectful…

Chamonix

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
154,872 4,009 2,009
Alleybux
Anything Bobby Brown says should be taken with a grain of salt because one thing we know for a fact is, Bobby is a pathological liar. He told Shawn Robinson he never witnessed Whitney showing/ being interested in women but Bobby will say anything at this point to make Whitney look bad. It’s beyond disgusting that they won’t let Whitney Rest In Peace.
Robyn flat out said Whitney wasn’t gay. The most we found out was, Whitney experimented as a TEEN, a 16 y.o. Not even as an adult. She identified as a heterosexual woman and dated men her entire adult life despite Robyn being in her life. Whitney was upset and hurt by these rumors. This gay man is Ofcourse sensationalizing her life, using Whitney for his agenda knowing full well it’s beyond disrespectful…
The constant discussions of her sexuality is odd. Whitney divorced Bobby in 2006. She had several years to reconnect with Robyn or "live her truth". She did not. Nothing was preventing her. Making her life a tragic "gay" tale is not accomplishing anything.

MyBuSyD25

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
4,907 319 309
Alleybux
I read the book.

Whitney was not a lesbian. She experimented with one older teen who herself had been swinging both ways. Robyn dated men and women before and after Whitney. Whitney dated only men before and after Robyn.

She had 1 boyfriend before Robyn and a few others after. Her pattern is in my opinion that of an heterosexual woman who happened to be in a very close relationship with another female.

It is clear from the book that Robyn was crazy in love with W long after W ended things.

W was a boss, mostly she kept to herself. A very generous person. Very headstrong.

Noone could tell her no. She was supporting all of them except her mom. She employed even those she did not like because she wanted them to do well.

Robyn at times sounded arrogant. She talks of our dream... It was Whitney's dream. And her mother's. I don't understand the hate for Cissy. She is a great, hard-working lady who lost both parents at a young age, married a philandrer. She was too soft with her sons and a bit emotionally detached from her daughter but you can tell she deeply loved W.

Robyn talks as if she and W had that unique bond. I got the feeling that W first outgrew the xesual relationship, and then the friendship as well. Robyn never learnt her place. Her biggest rivalry was not with Bobby but with Gary.

She thought that because they had shared a lot about their past that W would always be in debt to her.

She however gives the impression of being a good competent loyal employee.The rest of the family comes of as lechees. I don't think of Robyn that way cause she would be on time, she knew her stuff. Seems like W brothers never even bothered showing up.

She is very critical of everyone around W but herself and Silvia.

Before the book, I thought W was a closeted lesbian who took drugs to escape her life.

After reading the book, I see a complex humanbeing. Hardworking, funny, caring, headstrong, bossy who let the fame got to her head.

Noone to tell her NO before it was too late.

Bobby may not have introduced her to drugs but he seemed to be the 1st person to make her feel that it was okay to be 100% unashamed about the drug use.

nique71

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
347,556 8,763 3,183
Alleybux
I Don’t agree with Cissy a lot but IMO she was right when she said Bobby was not a good helpmate or protector. He didn’t introduce her to the drug life but he was right there front and center for the runaway train that resulted.

MyBuSyD25

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
4,907 319 309
Alleybux
I Don’t agree with Cissy a lot but IMO she was right when she said Bobby was not a good helpmate or protector. He didn’t introduce her to the drug life but he was right there front and center for the runaway train that resulted.
True.

Reading the book, I get the impression that Bobby was even more abusive than what we were told. He was awful.

Jalous of her fame and talent, physically abusive ( hit her often and hard, demeaned her in front of employees and family), lazy, no talent, constant cheater.

He also enabled her a lot as far as taking drugs. For the first time, someone who did not challenge her at all on the cocaine use. Cissy did. Robyn did. Others seemed to not say much but still you could feel their silent disappointment or disaprovement.

Her drug use seems to have skyrocketed after meeting him. Also, he seemed to keep her in such a state of helplessness that she probably started to rely on the drugs a lot more.

Last edited: