Roku is a huge force in streaming, and a hurdle for HBO Max

Fashion Killa

Hanna Marin-Rivers
Reaction score
Reactions
174,256 6,533 1,231
Alleybux
roku_verge.0.jpeg

HBO Max launched last week without any Roku support and integration, and new numbers from multiple research firms show just how much of a problem that might be for the new streaming service.

Roku dominates viewing time among streaming boxes. The company commands 44 percent of viewing time, according to research from Conviva. That more than doubles its biggest competitor, Amazon Fire TV, which maintains about 19 percent of viewing time. Roku has also grown its viewing time by about 50 percent year over year, based on official comments from the company.

roku_share_time.png

Time spent watching content through connected TV devices, like Roku and Amazon Fire TV, increased dramatically during the pandemic. According to a new report, Nielsen data in March “showed that 76 percent of U.S. homes had at least one connected device.” By March 30th, total hours spent watching on these devices “was up 81 percent year over year,” totaling nearly 4 billion hours of content each week.

While things have slowed down a little now, streaming boxes are still seeing high usage numbers, as seen in the Nielsen chart below:

Screen_Shot_2020_06_04_at_10.37.24_AM.png

At the time of this writing, HBO Max isn’t on Roku. WarnerMedia, which owns HBO Max, is aware that the service would benefit greatly from being on Roku. “Being available on the platforms that consumers use to access these new networks is really, really important,” Tony Goncalves, head of HBO Max, told The Verge an interview. Goncalves added that he’s “hopeful that, ultimately, we’ll get there, and we’ll get there with the consumer in mind.”

Being on Roku can help WarnerMedia find new subscribers for HBO Max, much like being on Roku seemed to help Disney Plus when it launched last year. In February, Roku CEO Anthony Wood specifically called out Disney Plus’ Roku integration as “an important part” of Disney reaching 26.5 million subscribers in its fourth quarter.

There are a couple reasons why it’s a more difficult for HBO Max to get on Roku, likely including how big of a subscription fee Roku will take. Another glaring issue seems to be WarnerMedia’s previous distribution agreements with Roku for the HBO network (similar to those with Amazon to have HBO on Amazon Channels). People can sign up for HBO through the Roku Channel. But then what happens to the millions of customers currently subscribing to HBO through Roku Channel if HBO Max isn’t offered through the same avenue?

When WarnerMedia made its deal with Apple to carry HBO Max, the company removed HBO from Apple TV Channels in the process. Only then were customers who subscribed to HBO through Apple Channels then able to upgrade to HBO Max, available as a new app, for free.

It seems likely that WarnerMedia would want to do the same thing with Roku and HBO Max; HBO Max lands on Roku, but HBO is removed from Roku Channels. It’s a tricky tug-of-war game between companies that want to benefit as much as possible from a partnership.

Publicly, WarnerMedia is set on getting HBO Max on as many platforms as possible in an attempt to reach 100 percent of potential subscribers. Andy Forssell, executive vice president and general manager of WarnerMedia’s direct-to-consumer products, told CNETthat HBO Max apps designed for both Amazon and Roku are ready — they’re just waiting on signed agreements.

Roku is a huge force in streaming, and a hurdle for HBO Max

Harriet_Thugman

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
86,536 1,743 286
Alleybux
Well it makes sense since Roku has been in the streaming business for years and that is basically their business model and for an old stalwart like HBO trying to join in appears clumsy as hell to me.

SoyTres

Medium Risk Offender - Monthly Monitoring Required
Reaction score
Reactions
205,858 8,387 2,787
Alleybux
But this doesn't mention that it still has HBO.

I have HBO Max on my smart TV and HBO Now on my streaming sticks.

The only difference is that HBO Max has more original shows it seems to me.

Fashion Killa

Hanna Marin-Rivers
Reaction score
Reactions
174,256 6,533 1,231
Alleybux
But this doesn't mention that it still has HBO.

I have HBO Max on my smart TV and HBO Now on my streaming sticks.

The only difference is that HBO Max has more original shows it seems to me.

HBO Now is supposed to be replaced by HBO Max. Only reason HBO Now isn't completely phased out by now is bc AT&T haven't made deals to bring the Max app to Roku/Amazon and other services yet. They're both the same price but one service has significantly more content than the other.

SoyTres

Medium Risk Offender - Monthly Monitoring Required
Reaction score
Reactions
205,858 8,387 2,787
Alleybux
HBO Now is supposed to be replaced by HBO Max. Only reason HBO Now isn't completely phased out by now is bc AT&T haven't made deals to bring the Max app to Roku/Amazon and other services yet. They're both the same price but one service has significantly more content than the other.

I agree HBO Max has more content, but in regards to more content that I think most people would find interesting... it's just seems to have opened a vault of stored items that aren't necessarily better. It's just more.

Kinda like the Side B on a record.

And yeah, it's definitely unfair for Now folks to be paying the same as Max folks tho.

Hope For Hoes

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
61,678 700 600
Alleybux
It's only a Google search away (and I don't care enough to do it), but I have no idea what HBO Max is. At first glance, I'd think it's HBO + Cinemax teaming up.

I just came here to say - I love my Roku TV. I hate my Fire TV. Long Live Roku.

Last edited:

Fashion Killa

Hanna Marin-Rivers
Reaction score
Reactions
174,256 6,533 1,231
Alleybux
I agree HBO Max has more content, but in regards to more content that I think most people would find interesting... it's just seems to have opened a vault of stored items that aren't necessarily better. It's just more.

Kinda like the Side B on a record.

And yeah, it's definitely unfair for Now folks to be paying the same as Max folks tho.

I think that's the main problem. It'd be one thing if AT&T discounted HBO Now's price but right now they're priced the same.

Overitall

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
169,940 6,762 4,422
Alleybux
I love my roku tv and didn’t even know what it was, just bought it for the price

once I realized how much free content it has :b41

that’s how i got to see Succession which IMO is five star.

Dear Lana...

On My Honeymoon...
Reaction score
Reactions
167,054 4,392 3,181
Alleybux
Idk but I know I was pissed when I looked down and saw my HBO app had turned purple without my knowledge on my iPhone.

I used to subscribe to HBO through my amazon prime but happy I do it through Hulu now. Many on Amazon are in the reviews pissed because they were charged for HBO now but can’t use it because Amazon doesn’t offer MAX.

One of my TVs is a roku and the Hulu on there has a tab for Max.

krikzil

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
158,851 2,048 2,097
Alleybux
I use the Amazon Firestick and had planned on getting HBOMax. So dumb they didn’t reach agreements with Roku or Amazon.

TruestLovely

TruestLovely, Lovelyyellow
Reaction score
Reactions
29,331 630 1,021
Alleybux
I got a fire stick instead of roku. Did I make a mistake?
Yes boo, you did. I LOVE my Roku, Ive had it for about 7 years.

Fire stick is Junky and confusing in comparison. I remember being confused when there was that firestick Hype.

I just hushed and enjoyed my Roku in peace. I hope the accessibility, content and quality dont go down now that its really mainstream.

Scorpion

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
152,635 2,744 452
Alleybux
I don't think you did. I prefer the Firestick's interface over Roku's. I watch HBO through my Hulu though.

I also hacked it (by following YouTube videos) so I have access to all the shows and movies I could ask for.

HeByHooray

Team Owner
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
33,037 80 47
Alleybux
I got the Firestick first in 2017 and then I got a Roku stick for Xfinity streaming (only product that it supports) and it kept overheating but I liked the interface so I upgraded to a Roku Ultra in 2018 and I bought the updated 2019 version for my room.

I loooooooooooooooove Roku Ultra. My firestick is collecting dust. I got tired of having to update that damn stick and the navigation sucks. I have had HBO Go for the longest and I was shocked to open it up yesterday ti find out it is discontinued. I was heavy pissed.

Mind you I have Xfinity streaming on my stick and my HBO subscription is through them so I can still access HBO this way on my ROKU.

I noticed they removed HBOGo and replaced HBONow with HBO. I tried to login to HBO using my credentials and I still can't get access so I am guessing this is for HBONow only.

Anyhow I found out I can access HBOMax now on my phone and cast it to my TV so this is what I have been doing as a work around until they fix this mess. I see HBOMax being on Roku by the end of the year.

BklynFinest

There's no crying. There's no crying in baseball
Reaction score
Reactions
102,331 3,477 890
Alleybux
I can’t take sides without know how much Roku is asking for. Xbox & ps4 has the hbo max app so I watch through that.

Kim Kardashian

Superstar Status
Reaction score
Reactions
119,065 3,210 1,701
Alleybux
Ugh such a money grab. I’m so sick of all these steaming services. I’ve said this numerous times but at this rate in two years it will be more expensive than cable. Now I have to find some bootleg way to watch HBO. If you think about it at least with cable you at tons of options for one set price now we’re on the verge of paying for each network at the price of ten dollars each. We got more bang for our buck with cable.

atribecalledgabi

Human Wrongs Activist
Reaction score
Reactions
51,973 1,303 1,831
Alleybux
They better figure something out cuz my TV is officially too old for the new apps so I have to get a roku or a fire stick to watch in the near future. Whichever comes with ms max first is who I'm getting.

AutoPilot

Fly To Freedom
Reaction score
Reactions
41,060 808 518
Alleybux
So they have HBO Go, HBO Now and HBO Max? Is there really a need for that many different subscriptions? Maybe they should think about getting rid or combining some of them. Sounds like they're shooting themself in the foot with their own gun and bullet.

MegLevi

General Manager
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
12,122 2,865 8,588
Alleybux
nope just put cinema hd and bee tv to your firestick and you can watch anything the hbo netflix hulus disney plus have to offer for free in high quality and right after they air as well. Basically All movies and all shows in existence for free

MsDriven

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
47,676 1,624 279
Alleybux
I have a Roku TV and am annoyed at having to pay for HBO Now because Max isn't available. Fix it asap!