Quantcast

Roland Martin weighed in on Remy's character on FB.

Wanderlust

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
10,718 74 67
Alleybux
I agree...

"So I'm watching episode 5 of @QueenSugarOWN and am saddened to see this goodbye of Remy @DondreWhitfield. I've watched this show from day 1. I've loved the numerous characters and their complexities. Let me explain why Remy matters. #OdetoRemy @OWNTV @ava @oprah #QueenSugar

What was so great about Remy was he brought a perspective of a Black man to TV that we don't often see. He is a college professor, a man with strong morals, values and conviction.

Take for instance the heat that existed between Remy and Charley @dawnlyen. He didn't want to get involved with her until she left David. His biblical beliefs wanted them to start clean.

Remy brought a moral counter conscience for Charley @dawnlyen. His rigidity could be seen as a negative. But he made decisions through a moral prism. He challenged to make decisions that way.

Look at the other Black men on @QueenSugarOWN, I see the blue collar brother (Hollywood); the formerly incarcerated (Ralph Angel); the cheating athlete (David); the growing teen (Micah). Remy mattered.

That's why I was so opposed to the idea of Remy getting with Nola. That was like oil and water. The kind of man he represented wouldn't do such a thing like dating the sister of the woman he loved!

Did I see Remy as a man who smoked weed? Nah. I saw him as a bruh who was about family, focus and faith. Now that he's gone from the show, we don't see that Black man represented authentically.

We need to see the many variations of Black on TV. I really felt Remy could have continued with the xesual tension between him and Charley @dawnlyen, challenging her to go to a higher place.

Some may say, "Man, this ain't such a big deal." I disagree. We need to see more Remys, Black men aren't one dimensional. We look many different ways.

The challenge for other TV show writers is to ensure we see more Remys. We need to see that compassionate, faithful, principled brother. That way we can see my dad, brother, uncle, ME."

Creole Praline

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
72,613 1,976 1,218
Alleybux
I also agree. I think Remy was rigid and uptight, probably due to his wife most likely being a strong woman. Weak women aren’t serving in no ones military. When she passed, he probably saw a chance to be tough, take the lead, be the man, unfortunately Charlie also wasn’t some weak willed woman who was going to let a man control her. They could’ve kept him on the show to bounce off of Hollywood and Ralph Angel. He could’ve stayed there to help him with his farm.

While Charlie dated around their chemistry could’ve been background noise. While we waited to see when they’d finally make it happen. I think it was when the white woman became the show runner, did she make his character a grade A prick. They are always making black characters one dimensional. Tramps and Heauxs. I’m surprised she didn’t mess with Hollywood.

LooksLikeRain

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
78,665 1,450 501
Alleybux
I also agree. I think Remy was rigid and uptight, probably due to his wife most likely being a strong woman. Weak women aren’t serving in no ones military. When she passed, he probably saw a chance to be tough, take the lead, be the man, unfortunately Charlie also wasn’t some weak willed woman who was going to let a man control her. They could’ve kept him on the show to bounce off of Hollywood and Ralph Angel. He could’ve stayed there to help him with his farm.

While Charlie dated around their chemistry could’ve been background noise. While we waited to see when they’d finally make it happen. I think it was when the white woman became the show runner, did she make his character a grade A prick. They are always making black characters one dimensional. Tramps and Heauxs. I’m surprised she didn’t mess with Hollywood.
Shhhhhh! Dont give them any ideas. We already had his storyline where he was still married.

Totally agree regarding Remy. I didnt even realize what he truly represented on the show. I remember now when he taught RA about not letting your ego get in the way of you learning things. MAN! Now I'm pissed all over again!