Quantcast

Roy Jones Jr: Mayweather is The Best Ever? Never Came Close To What I Did!

GoldenArmz

♎ Avi Credit: Rapper: Pink Siifu ♎
Reaction score
Reactions
31,650 3,726 337
Alleybux
Roy Jones Jr: Mayweather is The Best Ever? Never Came Close To What I Did!

Roy Jones: Mayweather is TBE? Never Came Close To What I Did!

This coming Thursday, former four division world champion Roy Jones Jr. is going to hang up his gloves with one final fight in Pensacola, Florida.

Jones, 65-9 (47KOs), 49 years old, will enter the ring for what he promises will be his final time, in a ten round cruiserweight showdown with Scott Sigmon, 30-11-1 (16KOs).

The undercard will have boxing and mixed martial arts contests, which is why the event was picked up UFC Fight Pass, which is the UFC’s digital streaming service.
jones-mayweather

Jones captured world titles at middleweight, super middleweight, light heavyweight and made history in 2003 when he captured the WBA heavyweight title with a twelve round decision over John Ruiz. Jones become the first man in 100 years, who began his career at 154, to rise all the way up and win the heavyweight title.

Jones believes, with confidence, that he entertained the crowd like nobody else ever did.

“The great thing today is it don’t matter what anyone says or what anyone writes, you can type 'sickest boxing highlights' into YouTube or Google and you see Roy Jones Junior doing this thing. Nobody can change your mind after you see that. That is pound-for-pound! I did what I did – it happened – it is a fact," Jones said.
“Nobody else comes close. You can watch me side-by-side with anyone and it’s not close."

But Mayweather considers himself to be TBA (The Best Ever) - which Jones disagrees with.

He admits Mayweather made far more money, but never came close to his "prime" skills and performances.
Mayweather was a former five division champion, with world titles at junior middleweight, welterweight, junior welterweight, lightweight and super featherweight.

“Floyd Mayweather was TBE at making money, but look at his highlights and look at mine. You can’t pretend it’s the same. You can’t pretend there’s ever been anyone come close to doing what I did. Nobody you could name could touch me - and I’m talking about nobody who’s around now, nobody who was around in my prime, and nobody who was around any time you can mention outta your mouth," Jones said.

“In my prime, I was the ruler. Simple as that. I understand there’s a lot of great fighters who’ve followed me already since I was the champ - and I hope there’s another who comes along does even better because want to see that - but I haven’t seen anyone do what I did yet. I haven’t seen anyone turn pro at 154lbs and win the heavyweight championship of the world.

“Even the great Sugar Ray Robinson, the pound-for-pound guy that he was, couldn’t win the light heavyweight title after turning pro as a welterweight. He had a difficult time trying that. So that tells you how hard it is to jump up that kind of weight and win. So, pound-for-pound the greatest of all time? It isn’t hard to figure out, Roy Jones Junior is your king of the hill.”

Boxingscene

ashbee

Ignoramus
Reaction score
Reactions
261,506 8,884 11,234
Alleybux
roy has taken too many shots to the head

RJJ in his prime was way better than FM in his prime. Junior damn near never lost a round!

RRJ was faster. Way faster. Hit harder. He just outclasses FM in every department in his prime.

Redemption Song

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
78,011 6,640 2,660
Alleybux
roy has taken too many shots to the head

RJJ would've smoked Mayweather with ease in his day.
He had much more raw talent, speed and power.

He just didn't have many challengers in his divisions. He was that much better than all of them. He beat Hopkins easily and James Toney.

Going up from middleweight all the way to heavy weight and back down to lightweight vs Tarver probably damaged his body and ultimately his career.

Last edited:

Edward Snowden

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
28,496 1,367 1,345
Alleybux
Any true boxing fan would rather have watched RJJ and this is coming from someone that loathed him.