Quantcast

Russell Okung puts half of salary in Bitcoin, considered highest paid in the league now

Mr.Valentine

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
23,427 3,193 473
Alleybux
Jonathan Warner
Mon, February 22, 2021, 12:53 PM

Former Seattle Seahawk Russell Okung puts half of salary in Bitcoin, considered highest paid in the league now originally appeared on NBC Sports Northwest

Former Seattle Seahawk offensive lineman Russell Okung has been in the league for 11 years now.

And the veteran seems to be making all the right moves when it comes to his money.

Back in December, Okung decided that he wanted half of his $13 million contract for 2020 in Bitcoin -a cryptocurrency.

He got his wish when he asked to be "paid" in Bitcoin.

With the recent surge of Bitcoin continuing to rise in value week after week, it seems that Okung made the right decision at the exact right moment.

If we are looking at where Bitcoin is at now, Okung could be considered one of the highest salaried NGL players at this moment.

From Bitcoin.com:

“For instance, when BTC hit $44k, the half of his contract that is paid in BTC climbed to $10.59 million, at $56k+ his half turned into more than his entire quoted salary. As far as 2020 NFL salary stats are concerned, Okung has entered the top five position. However, the NFL has recently decided to cap the league’s salaries at $180 million and a ball player’s contract could change in 2021. Because the Carolina Panthers’ offensive tackle (OT) gets half of his salary in BTC, many proponents think of him as the highest-paid player in the NFL and not just ahead of the highest-paid OTs.”

One person went as far as to state that Okung is now the “highest-paid player in the NFL”. While a group of other people on Twitter made it known to the public that Okung made a smart move by putting some of his money in Bitcoin.

Okung has been a fan of wanting to be paid in Bitcoin for some time now, and that he is paying off for him in ways no one would have expected.

“Money is more than currency; it’s power,” said Okung in a statement. “The way money is handled from creation to dissemination is part of that power. Getting paid in bitcoin is the first step of opting out of the corrupt, manipulated economy we all inhabit.”

Okung went further into that statement adding:

When we are all paid in bitcoin, no one can tell us what to do with the value we create … In a post-fiat world, you won’t have to worry about your labor and time being stolen.

Russell Okung

With this news hitting the airways now, you can expect other players to try and get a portion of their contracts paid in Bitcoin as well.

The 32-year-old Okung is the first NFL player to have a portion of his contract in Bitcoin.

Former Seattle Seahawk Russell Okung puts half of salary in Bitcoin, considered highest paid in the league now

Incokneegrow

<span style="font-weight:bold; font-style:italic;
Reaction score
Reactions
525,810 16,846 5,593
Alleybux
i remember when this first came out and someone posted it on here. i thought it was smart but was wary in the event could crash. good on him.

debb

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
63,131 1,457 501
Alleybux
Idk, this doesn't seem very smart. But we'll know for sure in the coming years.

eta: hope he remembers his password

TERRASTAR18

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
174,900 5,785 4,542
Alleybux
Idk, this doesn't seem very smart. But we'll know for sure in the coming years.

eta: hope he remembers his password
it is only stupid if he doesn't realize bitcoin is a volatile asset like everything else on the stock market. i don't know much about him. but he seems smart enough to not leverage all his income. hopefully both him and his team have market discipline to sell some of if it when it reaches a certain price.

megamafia

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
95,465 3,378 1,518
Alleybux
Bitcoin is about to come down near 10K again. Lol. I hope everybody cashing out in time. And possibly re-up at the bottom. A whole lot is heading towards the crypto market, a hell storm. Lol

debb

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
63,131 1,457 501
Alleybux
it is only stupid if he doesn't realize bitcoin is a volatile asset like everything else on the stock market. i don't know much about him. but he seems smart enough to not leverage all his income. hopefully both him and his team have market discipline to sell some of if it when it reaches a certain price.
We can only speculate. Bitcoin could tank tomorrow and never reach that projected price. Also, people's expectations grow as the value goes up. It's very tempting to stay longer than you planned.

I'm really hoping this goes well for him.

TERRASTAR18

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
174,900 5,785 4,542
Alleybux
We can only speculate. Bitcoin could tank tomorrow and never reach that projected price. Also, people's expectations grow as the value goes up. It's very tempting to stay longer than you planned.

I'm really hoping this goes well for him.
true but like stock you just have to read the market.