Reaction score
Reactions
110,173 10,713 16,963
Alleybux

SAG Awards history is made with people of color taking home top 4 film awards​

George Back
·Producer, Yahoo Entertainment
Mon, April 5, 2021, 2:06 AM

Sunday night was one for the record books as all four of the individual film acting awards from the Screen Actors Guild Awards went to people of color. During the one-hour pre-taped show, Yuh-Jung Youn, Daniel Kaluuya, Viola Davis and the late Chadwick Boseman swept the film acting categories, making it the first time since 1995, when the SAG Awards launched, for the milestone achievement.

Minari star Yuh-Jung Youn’s win for Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role was particularly meaningful as she became the first Asian woman to take home a top SAG Award.

“I don't know how to describe my feelings,” Youn said during her acceptance speech. “I've been recognized by Westerners. It is very, very honored, especially by my fellow actors who choose me as a supporting actress.”

Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom had a big night, as Viola Davis and Chadwick Boseman both took home best lead actor awards. Davis thanked August Wilson, the playwright whose work the film is based on, for creating a story that “leaves a legacy for actors of color.”

Boseman died in 2020, but his widow Simone Ledward Boseman accepted the award on his behalf saying, “If you see the world unbalanced, be a crusader that pushes heavily on the see-saw of the mind. That's a quote by Chadwick Boseman.”

Daniel Kaluuya earned his second SAG Award, this time for his supporting work in Judas and the Black Messiah. The actor honored his former Black Panther co-star during his acceptance speech. "This one's for Chadwick Boseman,” declared Kaluuya, whose previous win came alongside Boseman and the rest of the Black Panther cast in 2019.

Here's the complete list of winners at the 2021 SAG Awards:

The Motion Picture recipients are:
Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role:
CHADWICK BOSEMAN / Levee – MA RAINEY’S BLACK BOTTOM

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role:
VIOLA DAVIS / Ma Rainey – MA RAINEY’S BLACK BOTTOM

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role:
DANIEL KALUUYA / Fred Hampton – JUDAS AND THE BLACK MESSIAH

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role:
YUH-JUNG YOUN / Soonja – MINARI

Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture:
THE TRIAL OF THE CHICAGO 7

Outstanding Action Performance by a Stunt Ensemble in a Motion Picture:
WONDER WOMAN 1984

The Television recipients are:

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Television Movie or Limited Series: MARK RUFFALO / Dominick Birdsey/Thomas Birdsey – I KNOW THIS MUCH IS TRUE

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Television Movie or Limited Series: ANYA TAYLOR-JOY / Beth Harmon – THE QUEEN’S GAMBI

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Drama Series:
JASON BATEMAN / Marty Byrde – OZARK

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Drama Series:
GILLIAN ANDERSON / Margaret Thatcher – THE CROWN

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Comedy Series:
JASON SUDEIKIS / Ted Lasso – TED LASSO

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Comedy Series:
CATHERINE O’HARA / Moira Rose – SCHITT’S CREEK

Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series:
THE CROWN

Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series:
SCHITT’S CREEK

Outstanding Action Performance by a Stunt Ensemble in a Comedy or Drama Series: THE MANDALORIAN

etherealcee

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
33,541 1,276 698
Alleybux
Love Chadwick. I just strongly dislike when they award actors who have passed. It just seems so disingenuous.

Melanated9

MVP
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
3,767 132 128
Alleybux
I wish Chadwick was here to accept his awards. He did an excellent job in Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom movie.