Salem, MA (Massachusetts North Shore)

Mrs. Pancake

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
4,120 82 7
Alleybux
Any fonts in Salem, MA?

I'm moving to the area for a new job and I'd like to hear about the city from your perspective.

Places to check out? Places to avoid? Good places to eat? How to avoid the Halloween traffic, lol!

Any tips appreciated!

BummyBetty

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
25,398 919 371
Alleybux
Salem is an interesting place, lots of rich history. You'll be close to Boston, CT, and other New England areas...

It's a very white area...

Amber Gates

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
29,542 426 79
Alleybux
Um, there's nothing out there sister. However, every year we do have the black peoples picnic (historically black churches gathered together with their families one day a year), it's a huge event at Salem Willows. I take my son there in the summer for fried clams, the arcade, freshly made salt water taffy and a little swimming. Salem is actually VERY historical for our people.

If you move to Salem you will be close to Ipswich (beautiful area) and the CLAM BOX, BEST CLAMS IN THE WORLD. You can guarantee a visit from me at least in the summer if you promise a trip there. Salem Sate University is also there. Girl, it's boring out there I'm not even going to lie to you, but you will be right off of the highway, so you can get to Boston fast.

Mikaguyana

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
207 3
Alleybux
Hey,
Like other posters have said, great city with great history.

I actually live in MA, near Salem. Salem has a very vibrant community. There are lots of events/activities and restaurants to go to. Salem has a lot of wiccans as well. What I love about Salem is that it is a very walk-able city. I know most people who live there who don't even own cars. If you do own a car and use that to go to work, it can be tough because during rush hour its almost impossible to get in or out of Salem. Halloween season, traffic is tough, the only thing I can suggest is the train, and even the train there can be some traffic.

On top of that you're not that far from Boston, maybe about a 25 min drive? Also there are great universities around that area, i.e Salem State University. A lot of the students come around to hang out. If your really artsy, they have a museum as well that is open to all residents.
The next town over, Peabody is also a great city, that is known for their nice mall.

Red's sandwich shop is amazing. Tavern on the Green, Boston Hotdog Company and Ugly Mug Diner are definitely places you should stop by at. Great food.

The only negative really is the parking. PARKING SUCKS ASS.

Mrs. Pancake

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
4,120 82 7
Alleybux
"It's a very white area..."

This it true. I grew up in middle Georgia, but I went to grad school in NH, so I'm used to it by now. Plus it's a really good job.

I'm definitely going to find the black people MeetUps tho

Mrs. Pancake

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
4,120 82 7
Alleybux
Um, there's nothing out there sister. However, every year we do have the black peoples picnic (historically black churches gathered together with their families one day a year), it's a huge event at Salem Willows. I take my son there in the summer for fried clams, the arcade, freshly made salt water taffy and a little swimming. Salem is actually VERY historical for our people.

If you move to Salem you will be close to Ipswich (beautiful area) and the CLAM BOX, BEST CLAMS IN THE WORLD. You can guarantee a visit from me at least in the summer if you promise a trip there. Salem Sate University is also there. Girl, it's boring out there I'm not even going to lie to you, but you will be right off of the highway, so you can get to Boston fast.

Ok, I'm marking this picnic on my calendar now! Thanks for the link; I had no idea (but I'm not surprised) to find out Salem has a lot of black history associated with it.

Not to give too much away about myself, but I'll definitely be commuting up the Newburyport line for work. Can't wait to try the clams!

Mrs. Pancake

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
4,120 82 7
Alleybux
Thanks [MENTION=183180]Mikaguyana[/MENTION]! I found a good place only a few minutes walk to downtown so I will check out the restaurants you mentioned.

I've heard the Peabody Essex Museum is worth visiting & I that the waterfront near the power plant is being developed (once it's torn down).

I plan on using the commuter rail for work and my car on the weekends as much as possible. We'll see if the traffic is bearable then.

Now all I need to do is pronounce these Mass names properly.

PEE-B'DY, SO-GUS, GLAW-STAH, LEH-MIN-STAH

Tuh!

Amber Gates

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
29,542 426 79
Alleybux
Ok, I'm marking this picnic on my calendar now! Thanks for the link; I had no idea (but I'm not surprised) to find out Salem has a lot of black history associated with it.

Not to give too much away about myself, but I'll definitely be commuting up the Newburyport line for work. Can't wait to try the clams!

UM you will not be at the Clam Box without me. The picnic is a bit HOOD now, but it's still a good time, make sure you get there EARLY to find parking, there's no parking in Salem PERIOD. Welcome to Massachusetts!!! Find me in PM land.

Amber Gates

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
29,542 426 79
Alleybux
Thanks @Mikaguyana! I found a good place only a few minutes walk to downtown so I will check out the restaurants you mentioned.

I've heard the Peabody Essex Museum is worth visiting & I that the waterfront near the power plant is being developed (once it's torn down).

I plan on using the commuter rail for work and my car on the weekends as much as possible. We'll see if the traffic is bearable then.

Now all I need to do is pronounce these Mass names properly.

PEE-B'DY, SO-GUS, GLAW-STAH, LEH-MIN-STAH

Tuh!

SAW-GUS (instead of So-gus) and the big one Worcester which is pronounced (woost-stah) LOL Medford is pronounced (Med-fud) You're already becoming a Bostonian. I'm on the other end of the state next to Gillette Stadium, but fun times are to be had down here in the summer (I mean SUMMAH).

Mrs. Pancake

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
4,120 82 7
Alleybux
@AmberGates, I am ready!

xybsUN.gif

Sidenote: how do you thumbs up posts? I'm so new it's embarrassing :e6_25:

BummyBetty

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
25,398 919 371
Alleybux
"It's a very white area..."

This it true. I grew up in middle Georgia, but I went to grad school in NH, so I'm used to it by now. Plus it's a really good job.

I'm definitely going to find the black people MeetUps tho

Do you hang out in Boston or Springfield?

Mrs. Pancake

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
4,120 82 7
Alleybux
I know more people in Boston than Springfield, so I don't get there unless I'm going to go eat. There's some good Puerto Rican and Vietnamese restaurants there

FlashFm

Hottest radio station in Vice City
Reaction score
Reactions
27,803 2,690 3,455
Alleybux
I know this thread is old but any update. I’ve always been curious about Salem, how did you like it ?
I know more people in Boston than Springfield, so I don't get there unless I'm going to go eat. There's some good Puerto Rican and Vietnamese restaurants there

Mrs. Pancake

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
4,120 82 7
Alleybux
I know this thread is old but any update. I’ve always been curious about Salem, how did you like it ?

I loved it, I lived there for almost 3 years before moving closer to Boston. If it wasn't so difficult for my husband to commute to Cambridgeport via the T we would have bought a house there. Thereare some great shops, restaurants, and the shoreline is beautiful. I got into running there and would frequently run from the Neck to the lighthouse, out to the Willows and back home.

I miss it and remember it very fondly. I still have friends there and visit maybe once month or so.

It has it's issues. Traffic can be terrible (but I lived close to downtown so just walked everywhere), and there isn't a big box grocery store near the old town. So schlepping to Peabody to go to the stop n shop was a pain