Quantcast

Scandal Series Finale 7x18 - Over a Cliff 4-19-18

Karen Walker

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
3,759 21 7
Alleybux
What an epic let down. This was freshman screenplay 101 at its best. A better throw away ending could've been...

-Eli coming to visit Jake unbeknownst to Olivia. He did tell Jake he would be there to catch him when he falls. It would imply B613 is still running things and Eli would save his "son."

-A night shot of Cyrus sitting in his home with a drink. Next Huck creeping on Cy's lawn with his toolbox. We all know what's next.

-If they wanted to convey the gun control law that was promised and that Liv became president (based on that portrait) it should've been her signing that bill with the press in the oval as a twist.

-We didn't need to see Marcus' happily ever after with Mellie. It did nothing for the show and there's still a potential storyline for him on HTGAWM.

Overall bad move on Shonda's part. People know her for ABC. Despite the new Netflix deal, folks will remember her for this and may not migrate to her Netflix programming given how poorly this was handled. I know my interest in her work is damn near gone after this.

DC123

Anna Mae
Reaction score
Reactions
221,960 5,786 517
Alleybux
I’m still so mad at what became of Olivia.

The ”fixer” who is supposed to be the cleverest person on the show gets accidentally pregnant?

She kills that Andrew guy, basically for calling her a slut?

She stays friendly with Papa Pope at the end, even after he killed Fitz’s son, the love of her life?
Hell Fitz and Mellie don't seem to care so I don't expect Olivia to. The fallout from Rowan killing Jerry was so ridiculous.

batman79

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
45,461 1,298 205
Alleybux
Hell Fitz and Mellie don't seem to care so I don't expect Olivia to. The fallout from Rowan killing Jerry was so ridiculous.

What's was even more ridiculous was Harrison's murder was nothing but a "whatever" thing on the show.

It's crazy seeing the early season 1 promo and seeing Columbus Short, who was so relevant then, not go on to be a big thing on the show.

CYNTHIA SLAYLEY

Anointed
Reaction score
Reactions
44,272 4,102 4,802
Alleybux
What's was even more ridiculous was Harrison's murder was nothing but a "whatever" thing on the show.

It's crazy seeing the early season 1 promo and seeing Columbus Short, who was so relevant then, not go on to be a big thing on the show.

Yes and it was insulting how they replaced him with a Great Value look-alike. It was just so unrealistic and seeing Marcus onscreen always made me think of Columbus getting fired.

DC123

Anna Mae
Reaction score
Reactions
221,960 5,786 517
Alleybux
What an epic let down. This was freshman screenplay 101 at its best. A better throw away ending could've been...

-Eli coming to visit Jake unbeknownst to Olivia. He did tell Jake he would be there to catch him when he falls. It would imply B613 is still running things and Eli would save his "son."

-A night shot of Cyrus sitting in his home with a drink. Next Huck creeping on Cy's lawn with his toolbox. We all know what's next.

-If they wanted to convey the gun control law that was promised and that Liv became president (based on that portrait) it should've been her signing that bill with the press in the oval as a twist.

-We didn't need to see Marcus' happily ever after with Mellie. It did nothing for the show and there's still a potential storyline for him on HTGAWM.

Overall bad move on Shonda's part. People know her for ABC. Despite the new Netflix deal, folks will remember her for this and may not migrate to her Netflix programming given how poorly this was handled. I know my interest in her work is damn near gone after this.

HTGAWM will probably get axed along with For the People. I thought they had chemistry but that hook up was unnecessary imo. Marcus was just a plot point so that Michaela could get shitted on. e1

Last edited:

Shampagne

Ignoring half of you heauxs
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
172,835 864 644
Alleybux
HTGAWM will probably get axed along with For the People. I thought they had chemistry but that hook up was unnecessary imo. Marcus was just a plot point so that Michaela could get shitted on. e1

Have they even renewed HTGAWM? When I last checked they hadn’t and I didn’t know if that was normal for the show.

As far as Scandal. Blahhhhh watched it last night and nope.

DC123

Anna Mae
Reaction score
Reactions
221,960 5,786 517
Alleybux
Have they even renewed HTGAWM? When I last checked they hadn’t and I didn’t know if that was normal for the show.

As far as Scandal. Blahhhhh watched it last night and nope.
They sure haven't... In the past they either rewed the TGIT shows at once or after the season ended..ABC just renewed Greys but nothing about Murder.

Anitta Mars

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
88,787 2,373 2,610
Alleybux
Mercy....I want to quote all of y’all. I really want to know who is going to follow Shonda to Netflix after she flucked up one of the hottest shows in TV history after 2 seasons and left us with this sorry ass finale?

Nope. nope No. No . No. I refuse to invest any of my time in one of her shows again.

I kept waiting for Shonda to fix the show. She had to have known how people felt about it. It started going downhill in Season 3, and she did nothing to save it.

I don't think her move to Netflix will be as successful as she thinks.

SadSadSong

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
145,024 4,981 3,648
Alleybux
Meh it was ok for what it was. I'm actually saddened that David Rosen is dead. He was the most genuine person on this show, he deserved better. What I find funny is that everybody on this show is a murder and they've done it so much that they've all just accepted it. Olivia can't be angry at her father anymore because is she any better? Everything was wrapped up in a neat little bow, I can't be too angry at that.

uncgirl

xO love yourself xO
Reaction score
Reactions
79,258 2,096 668
Alleybux
If Rowan is all powerful, can he do something about making sure that Cyrus does not get to have any part in raising Ella? Liv is her godmother, maybe she can do something. Fitz is the godfather, maybe he can shove her in the same hole of non-existence where he tucks Teddy and Karen.

Ella’s christening was my favorite episode.

Fearless Leader

PreCRETHA Cagiano
Reaction score
Reactions
46,249 1,998 632
Alleybux
f1ee9a6f17f9519b261517addceac7fa.jpg

Yaki1B

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
55,756 1,333 1,033
Alleybux
I truly expected more deaths from this finale. Shonda was too consumed with either creating this savage persona for Olivia who then turned soft. OR focused way too much on her romantic life and had Olivia hoe-ing herself out between Jake and Fitz and whomever else.

I know it's a drama but it's ridiculous to see people who supposedly have all of this power, lose their cool and fall prey to elementary emotions.

I am guessing David Rosen was a beloved character but his death was not at all shocking to me and it didn't stir me one way or the other. Why would you believe a known killer like Cyrus and have no other witness in the middle of the night? I was steadily questioning the writers thought process on this.

It would've been more impactful if Shonda left a real cliff hanger, like Cy or Jake killing each other. Or Cy killing himself somehow or a more instrumental character.

Also, where was Olivia's damn MOTHER?! She deserved to be in this last episode. She was one of the most sinister characters. She could crossover to "House of Cards" and do VERY well.

Sidenote: I hope House of Cards comes back. They can kill Kevin Spacey's character Francis Underwood and just keep Claire. Kevin ruined his own reputation sadly.

Shonda needed a few Game of Thrones writers at the table for the finale to leave us all in complete and utter shock. For crying out loud, the show's name is Scandal. Leave us with a damn Scandal. :arrogant

Last edited:

Jimmy B

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
32,560 344 53
Alleybux
This finale was trash and Shonda could have kept it.

I understand that they wanted to leave some suspense/up to the viewers determination and imagination, but they literally just left a bunch of open-ended questions without giving the viewers the tools to make sense of it.

What did the portrait of Liv mean? At first, I was like okay... she was first lady at a point, but then I realized that she and Fitz never married. So are we to assume to she was President at some time? Or is there a separate gallery for other major players in the White House? Just confusing as hell. Do better, Shonda.

Also, Cyrus should have died. Plain and simple.

Did they make it clear that she ran off with Fitz? I watched it a few days ago and it was so unremarkable that I don't even remember.

Are we to assume that Marcus is Mellie's new VP or is he her man? Her Chief of Staff??? DO BETTER SHONDA.

As a fan since season 1, this is how I feel:
giphy.gif

Fongenie

Something On My Mind
Reaction score
Reactions
70,465 1,196 622
Alleybux
It's crazy how Shonda ruined this show. It's sad, too. What could have been... what was supposed to be!

Shonda doesn't know what the hell she's talking about, which is why she refused to answer the question on Kimmel. But what's new? She can't ever explain her dumb plots anyway.

All she knows is that she was resentful of the attention Kerry and Judy got for the show, so she went about dismantling it. Season by season. Backstory by backstory. The show became unrecognizable by season 3. Shonda squeezed Judy out, reduced the black female lead to a side-line character, and spent four more seasons peddling white feminism. Eli Pope got all those ridiculous marathon monologues, but what about Olivia's mother? Where were her many scenes and monologues?

Stop trying to make sense of Shonda's bs. She saw a photo of that little black girl staring at Michelle Obama's portrait and randomly added the two girls staring at a portrait of Olivia (that looked more like Shonda, if you ask me). Ask yourself, since when has the style of dress or hair ever been representative of Olivia. That portrait is Shonda.

Scandal went from a show loosely based on Judy Smith to one based on Shonda's Sweet Valley High fantasies. No rhyme or reason. Just like the plots of her show.

All I want to say is I loved Scandal for the first two seasons. It was epic. Season 3 it started to go downhill and by season 4 I gave up, haven't watched it in 3 years. I just won't tolerate garbage writing. I spent a fair amount of time complaining about the terrible writing before I finally tuned out. Nothing about the finale indicates that I missed anything at all. Scandal started off great, it was great to see an African American woman in the lead after 40 years, but beyond that Scandal ultimately became a terrible disappointment and a show that totally wasted all of its potential. Sad.

So I’m up here watching Season 1 so I can remember how good it used to be before Shonda’s *********** ass allowed her jealousy to destroy Olivia’s character. My question is this tho: why didn’t we ever discuss the fact that Amanda Tanner is the same actress as Bonnie on How To Get Away With Murder?? I was like how the fµck Bonnie get up here?

Amen to all of this. Shonda fµcked up a good thing and she knows it. Seasons 1 & 2 were golden. It all went downhill after season 4. The last two seasons felt like comic book sketches. The character nuances became very cliched and draining. Example: Olivia’s monologues drained me. I knew I was over this show once Olivia became my least favorite character. But Shonda really didn’t give a damn at all about that show for the last 3 seasons. fµck her forever. She walks around as if her writing is gold, and it’s trash. No one will call her out on her bµllsh!t & that final scene with the painting? fµck you Shonda and your secret behind the reasoning. She should stick to writing scripts like The Princess Diaries because adult dramas are not her forte.

batman79

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
45,461 1,298 205
Alleybux
It's crazy how Shonda ruined this show. It's sad, too. What could have been... what was supposed to be!

One of the most blatant examples of a show that didn't live up to the early promise. It's so blatant and sad, it has scared the s**t out of me from ever wanting to check out a new Shonda Rhimes show.

Toocoolforschoo

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
96,931 1,770 409
Alleybux
giphy.gif

Just awful. Everything about it was hot garbage. Cyrus finally kills someone with his bare hands and is not held accountable.Jake goes to jail for a command Olivia ordered and she had the NERVE to bring her @ss up to visit him in jail. The least she could have done was to find a way for escape back to the light she took him from.And that mural.....where do I begin. Welp, they asked Shonda about it on Kimmel as the cast wanted to know too. She said it's a spoiler that she'll hold on to the rest of her life:talktohand.

Starts at 2:00

Yeah the bolded really pissed me off when I watched Kimmel. It's like why are you going to hold onto a spoiler for a show that has ended and you aren't bringing back? It doesn't make sense.

For The Culture

LSA's Lady Whistledown
Reaction score
Reactions
262,039 4,102 1,980
Alleybux
So I'm late but I will say I was tickled that they would rather arrest Jake and make him the poster boy for B6-13 rather than eat crow and admit a black man (and his daughter sometimes) ran the country.

Rowans read was thee best and I'm actually gonna replay it.

Overall I'm sad it's over and regardless of how it ended, scandal busted down doors for black female leads...

Gone but not forgotten :)

N2Truth2

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
3,665 19 40
Alleybux
Damn...no ABC??? Ain't that like one of the basics on every TV package???

I must say I will miss chatting with you guys on Thursdays...

But I think that the last episode came full circle for me. Got the montages saw them now say they will follow Liv just like in the beginning.

It did jump the shark as they say when she was kidnapped and she became all weird after that but i can forgive them if they bring it tonight...

That being said anyone got a link to view live. Yall know a sis got sling tv and they dont have ABC as a channel in my area...

My PMs are open TIA

artist4life

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
9,843 432 441
Alleybux
I'm about 2 months late, but I'm happy with the Scandal ending. Olivia and Fitz together was only fitting because their love story is what made the show a hit in the beginning, but the writers ruined the show with the B613 stuff.

I wanted both Jake and Cyrus to die. It was wrong to kill off David, one of the few good guys on the show. Poor Abby.

Don't give a damn about Quinn or Charlie.

The writers could have given Huck his happy ending with his family.

Mellie ending up with Marcus was also the right thing to do.

artist4life

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
9,843 432 441
Alleybux
You have got to be shitting me!
I can not believe this was the end. It was so lackluster and David's death was so unnecessary since he wasn't really a "key character".

Cyrus should have ended his life by drinking the same poison he gave David.

Liv and Fitz should have been on a plane holding hands on their way to Vermont.

I like Marcus standing next to Mellie.

I'm fine with Jake going to prison.

Seems like Shonda wrote this script on her damn grocery list pad while clipping coupons.

I agree with this list.

Shonda is a piece of work. The entire series has always been about the Olivia and Fitz romance. Shonda dedicated Scandal's 100th episode to Olivia & Fitz with the wedding and the happy ending. But she got in her mind in Season 7 that her show wasn't about that, so she didn't want to highlight the romance. RME.

SerenityNow

READ THE OP FIRST BEFORE COMMENTING
Reaction score
Reactions
301,466 1,599 276
Alleybux
This was not Mellie's show. I don't know why some can't get Mellie was not the star. Olivia Pope was the lead.
No sh!t. I know perfectly well that Mellie was not the star of the show. The point of a series finale is to get closure for all main characters involved.

GoBeDo

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
16,217 420 356
Alleybux
The finale was meh. This show started with such great promise, sad to see what became of it. Shonda completely ruined the character of Olivia Pope and she ruined her own show by turning it into a white woman's feminist fantasy and making the black female lead a secondary player on her own show.

On what planet was Mellie even remotely qualified to be President? She was no Hilary Clinton. Mellie was constantly carrying on about paying her dues, honey being married to a Governor/President and giving up your promising law career to have babies - does not a President make. Lawd.

tout et rien

All and Nothing
Reaction score
Reactions
71,778 1,511 698
Alleybux
Wow, has it really only been 2 years since Scandal ended? It seems a lot longer. Maybe it is because I checked out years before the actual end. But still, I'm glad this wasn't a trivia question because I would have gotten it way wrong.

GRAPE SEED OIL

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
52,529 1,773 536
Alleybux
Bumped.

I just watched all 7 seasons back to back on Hulu. Wow! What a horrible way to end a show. Only Maya, Mellie, Charlie, Quinn, and Rowan characters got some sort of closure. Fitz, Jake, Huck, Abby, Olivia, and David were did dirty. I need them to make a movie for character closure purpose.

tout et rien

All and Nothing
Reaction score
Reactions
71,778 1,511 698
Alleybux
Bumped.

I just watched all 7 seasons back to back on Hulu. Wow! What a horrible way to end a show. Only Maya, Mellie, Charlie, Quinn, and Rowan characters got some sort of closure. Fitz, Jake, Huck, Abby, Olivia, and David were did dirty. I need them to make a movie for character closure purpose.

Not saying this is what happened with Scandal, but some shows want to leave open the option for a movie or for fans to demand another season for closure. If everything is wrapped up neatly, people may just put the memory on the shelf and move on. Problem with Scandal is that they annoyed so much of their original fan base along the way, that the people who fought for them in the past, just didn't care. I count me in there.

AmethystHeart

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
50,612 3,063 4,215
Alleybux
Not saying this is what happened with Scandal, but some shows want to leave open the option for a movie or for fans to demand another season for closure. If everything is wrapped up neatly, people may just put the memory on the shelf and move on. Problem with Scandal is that they annoyed so much of their original fan base along the way, that the people who fought for them in the past, just didn't care. I count me in there.

This x1000. It has also led me to swear off any other Shonda show.

violette1984

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
74,268 2,666 490
Alleybux
Im late. But at this point it doesnt matter.

I was prepared for the series finale to be as lackluster as the last 4 seasons have been. Im a little surprised people thought this last episode was going to produce the magic that had left the show a long long long time ago.

Also, yes, her portrait was in the hall of president portraits. It was supposed to easly denote she at some point became president. It was a lewk!! But it doesnt make up for all the years us longtime fans have been watching this turn from an intelligent drama to a cheap ass night time soap opera.

After this show fell off I started giving a huge side eye to anything Shonda related. I had been a Grey's Anatomy longtimer too but stopped watching a while back. Never pinned it on Shonda though. Scandal proved to me that at some point in the day to day creative process, Shonda either phones it in or gives creative control away to lessers who cant carry her vision along.

HTGAWM has become like a soap opera as well and I only catch up with it on premieres and finales.

So in summation, BUYER BEWARE with Shonda Rhimes creations.

She is a black woman making it happen for herself in a tough business, and for that I applaud her. Its also why I, even with this knowledge, continue to have a soft spot for her and perhaps always will.
I watched years worth of GA, all of Scandal, and kind of gave up on HTGAWM except for the finale. Shonda is great at coming up with concepts. She's got a lot of ideas about jumping off a show. Neither her, nor her team, see to know how to write sustainable AND believable relationships. There's no way Mellie and Olivia would have had a friendship after all those years. I'm not helping anyone that calls me a hoe and acts like they're trying to spit on me. Olivia losing her business after chasing after that B613 Command crap was also unbelievable. Worse than the ending with Fitz which was just Shonda throwing crumbs at viewers.