Segregation Costs Chicago Hundreds Of Lives, Billions Of Dollars: Study

Legs

Don’t talk to me. Thanks.
Reaction score
Reactions
444,322 11,266 1,506
Alleybux
2n64v4l.png

CHICAGO — If the level of segregation in the Chicago area were lowered to the level of the average U.S. metro area, the region would see billions in economic growth, a far more educated public and hundreds of fewer homicides, a new report suggests.

Those are some of the findings of the new "The Cost of Segregation" report released Tuesday by the Metropolitan Planning Council. The Chicago-based nonprofit compared data across the nation's 100 largest urban areas and concluded several ways the Chicago region could potentially benefit from integration.

Specifically, the report says Chicago would see $8 billion in economic growth, 83,000 more residents would have bachelor's degrees, and there would have been 229 fewer homicides in the city last year.

The study draws conclusions about the impact of segregation by looking at what would happen if the Chicago area — the 10th most segregated of the 100 largest metro areas in the U.S. — were more integrated. The study compared Chicago to cities that are less segregated, such as Atlanta, Houston and Raleigh, N.C.

The study determined segregation levels of the metropolitan areas in the survey and compared those numbers to a variety of metrics such as median household income, people with college degrees and homicide rates. Lower levels of segregation were linked to higher incomes, more degrees and lower homicide rates.

Based on the study, if Chicago could lower its segregation levels to match that of Atlanta or Raleigh, people here would see less crime as well as improvements in income and education.

"This study looks at what those things mean in real terms: lost income, lost lives and lost potential," said Alden Loury, one of the authors of the study.

Loury and co-author Marisa Novara said it's unclear why integration is connected with improving economic growth, the crime rate or educational attainment, but there's such a clear pattern that there's definitely a connection.

They said desegregation could help Chicago's black or Latino populations as well as the region as a whole. For example, not only could the number of homicides go down, but the study estimates the cost of policing the Chicago area would fall $65 million and the cost of imprisoning people would fall $218 million.

The planning council will use the report in talks to community groups and municipal leaders in hopes of implementing policies to integrate the city.

"Just as racism led to the deliberate steps that made this [segregation), we can be just as deliberate at attacking it," Novara said.

X

My opinion:

This is a continued effort to get (more) white people to the south side. Similar to when tearing down housing projects was given as a humane effort but it was actually about moving black people out to the suburbs and bringing others back in to the city.

Way to Love

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
341,612 8,494 1,880
Alleybux
Jim Crow segregation was expensive as well. It's no surprise that segregation produces people who are too poor to contribute to the economy and become a drain on resources. But white folks want what they want whether or not it's economically sound. Racism > capitalism.

Reaction score
Reactions
1,607 155 253
Alleybux
Won't happen tho. Only thing being desegregated is predominately black neighborhoods. It is extremely hard for black people to buy or rent in any neighborhood but their own. Its an unwritten rule while slapping the fair housing act at you. Only rich blacks. Projects torn down so they can get the land and don't build no where near enough low income or affordable housing. Now they coming for the near south, near west, near north, anything that was previously predominately black that's within a 20 min drive to down town. And its so deeply rooted and goes so far down the rabbit hole aint ish gone change. Everyone will be held accountable. God see's all and I will wait on Him.

With all these drugs stings and netting drugs guns and money and 30-50 black men and women being locked up. No one is going after those who's bringing it here. High unemployment, living on minimum wage and still not enough, and too dangerous to live day to day. That's why everyone is packing up and leaving in droves and once enough is gone, then the over take will happen with the clean up the neighborhood campaign.

Legs

Don’t talk to me. Thanks.
Reaction score
Reactions
444,322 11,266 1,506
Alleybux
For Reference:

Cabrini-Green Then:

tumblr_ld2mhbnrpz1qd9dz2o1_500.jpg

a1e9347b-6d33-4680-81a9-cdb294709dc3.jpg

27_jackson_cabrini1_96782.jpg

Cabrini-Green Now/Future Plans:
Chicago-courts-developers-for-Cabrini-Green-land.jpg

460-w-chicago-1.0.jpg

Xavier-1.0.jpg

Perhaps in a move to avoid the same controversy that Fifield experienced with their naming scheme, developer Gerding Edlen named this tower after Mother Frances Xavier Cabrini. While the name of the tower pays homage to the history of the area, the project itself will be privately funded, 240-unit building. The LEED Gold tower will be loaded with amenities and other interesting offerings like electric car charging stations. While the city's Affordable Requirements Ordinance (ARO) allows developers to pay into a pool in order to avoid building affordable units on site, the new tower will actually include a handful of affordable units.

tout et rien

All and Nothing
Reaction score
Reactions
71,762 1,511 698
Alleybux
That's a study that I would have to read. The summary sounds suspect, as in Black is bad, white is good. I'm wondering if the problem is segregation or is it government applying policies and practices that benefit whites and harm Blacks, intentionally?

hart

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
1,819 30 10
Alleybux
Someone from Chicago told me years ago how segregated it was and I was shocked. I could not understand especially considering Chicago is in the top 10 of largest cities in the U.S.

Boo T Hole

Plug n Play
Reaction score
Reactions
23,522 602 89
Alleybux
While the city's Affordable Requirements Ordinance (ARO) allows developers to pay into a pool in order to avoid building affordable units on site, the new tower will actually include a handful of affordable units.
Bay-beh, I live in DC and you can trust that it is just a handful and not one more. :disdain:

BrwnSknBeauty

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
112,594 5,490 3,704
Alleybux
I used to think all cities were like Chicago..South and West black, east Latino and north other.

I don't see Chicago changing.

strawberryanise

Not Quilty!
Reaction score
Reactions
252,132 9,154 877
Alleybux
I used to think all cities were like Chicago..South and West black, east Latino and north other.

I don't see Chicago changing.
New York isn't broken down in directional quadrants like that, but we have our fair share of segregation, even with the current wave of gentrification. Melting pot? Yeah, right.

I wish someone would replicate this study on NYC.

AshleySpinelli

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
18,801 281 21
Alleybux
The neighborhood I grew up in used to be majority white when my grandparents moved there in the early '60s. The white families soon moved out once more black families started moving in.My grandmother used to tell us that even though the houses were much nicer further south in the southside, she wouldn't have dared moving there because she was afraid of the house being firebombed.

The threat of violence has always enforced strict racial boundaries. This is changing somewhat though because white folks now want the land only Asian, Hispanic, and Black folks were allowed to live on once upon a time.

MrAtlanta

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
72,817 5,540 10,637
Alleybux
The logic and reasoning here is flawed.

The black community was a thriving community during Segregation, and there wasn't nearly the level of violence we have today. Also, black people and black entrepreneurs were much more successful during Segregation, because the money stayed in the community.

Besides, it's unrealistic to think that rich and poor people can share the same communities. The economic barrier is too great.