Quantcast

Senate passes bill to make lynching a federal crime

gwopijon

Zirconia (Nina) and Polly Esther (BrieBrie)
Reaction score
Reactions
183,330 6,267 1,981
Alleybux

By Jordain Carney - 02/14/19 11:54 AM EST

The Senate on Thursday cleared legislation to make lynching a federal crime.

The bill, introduced by Sens. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.), Cory Booker (D-N.J.) and Tim Scott (R-S.C.), makes lynching punishable as a hate crime.

The bill previously passed the Senate in December, but it did not clear the then-GOP controlled House before the end of the 115th Congress. It passed the vote on Thursday by a voice vote.

Booker said that "lynching is not a relic past," pointing to the attack on "Empire" actor Jussie Smollett in Chicago.

"Justice for the victims of lynching has been too long denied and as we look forward we must collectively in this body make a strong, unequivocal statement," he added.

Harris, speaking from the Senate floor, added that lynching is part of the country's "uncomfortable history" that had never been "truly acknowledged" or "reconciled" with.

"We must confront hate in our country. ... We are now making clear there will be serious, swift and severe consequences," said Harris, who along with Booker is running for the party's 2020 nomination for president.

Congress has tried but failed to pass anti-lynching legislation roughly 200 times since 1918, according to Harris's office.
In 2005, the Senate passed a resolution apologizing to lynching victims.

But, addressing the 2005 vote, the Senate legislation says that while an apology "moves the United States toward reconciliation and may become central to a new understanding, on which improved racial relations can be forged," legislation criminalizing lynching is still "wholly necessary and appropriate."

The measure will now go to the House.

uglyvirgo

HRH Humpty Dumpty, The Prince of Wales
Reaction score
Reactions
156,930 1,196 261
Alleybux
Look at God!!!!!!

this bill passing the senate was the first uphill battle - now that the dems have control of the house this should go through easily as well

IrisOsiris

Last friday night
Reaction score
Reactions
101,862 3,302 3,198
Alleybux
why is this just now coming up? What political motive does this serve? Not saying it's a bad bill to propose...but truth be told, who's getting lynched in 2019? this just really seems like a PR stunt to me.

Kelly Kapowski

out of sight / out of mind
Reaction score
Reactions
105,955 2,694 327
Alleybux
why is this just now coming up? What political motive does this serve? Not saying it's a bad bill to propose...but truth be told, who's getting lynched in 2019? this just really seems like a PR stunt to me.

I'm not against the bill at all, but some fonts were mentioning this over in the Jussie Smollett threads since he has some sort of link to her.

summerdish

baddie tryna be good
Reaction score
Reactions
651 21 7
Alleybux
Unfortunately I believe people are still getting lynched. There have been a number of recent stories of young black people found hanging on trees and being labeled as “suicides” despite the stories not adding up at all. Last year there was a story about a biracial 8 yr old in NH hung from a tree by bullies (he survived). Regardless of the frequency of the events compared to before, the sentiments behind them are still very much pervasive. Heinous that this bill has failed 200x.

Last edited:

gwopijon

Zirconia (Nina) and Polly Esther (BrieBrie)
Reaction score
Reactions
183,330 6,267 1,981
Alleybux

t1gress

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
35,837 925 316
Alleybux

By Jordain Carney - 02/14/19 11:54 AM EST

The Senate on Thursday cleared legislation to make lynching a federal crime.

The bill, introduced by Sens. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.), Cory Booker (D-N.J.) and Tim Scott (R-S.C.), makes lynching punishable as a hate crime.

The bill previously passed the Senate in December, but it did not clear the then-GOP controlled House before the end of the 115th Congress. It passed the vote on Thursday by a voice vote.

Booker said that "lynching is not a relic past," pointing to the attack on "Empire" actor Jussie Smollett in Chicago.

"Justice for the victims of lynching has been too long denied and as we look forward we must collectively in this body make a strong, unequivocal statement," he added.

Harris, speaking from the Senate floor, added that lynching is part of the country's "uncomfortable history" that had never been "truly acknowledged" or "reconciled" with.

"We must confront hate in our country. ... We are now making clear there will be serious, swift and severe consequences," said Harris, who along with Booker is running for the party's 2020 nomination for president.

Congress has tried but failed to pass anti-lynching legislation roughly 200 times since 1918, according to Harris's office.
In 2005, the Senate passed a resolution apologizing to lynching victims.

But, addressing the 2005 vote, the Senate legislation says that while an apology "moves the United States toward reconciliation and may become central to a new understanding, on which improved racial relations can be forged," legislation criminalizing lynching is still "wholly necessary and appropriate."

The measure will now go to the House.

wow i didnt realize it wasnt a federal crime, i just assumed!!

honestly, what logical reason could these lawmakers have for being like,,ummm yeah no lynching isnt that big of deal, next!

i mean my goodness.

40 Acres and a MULE

Madonna, JT, Elvis benefited from white privilege!
Reaction score
Reactions
157,070 9,082 2,094
Alleybux
Ooh there are still lynching still going on I heard especially in Georgia and Mississippi

luxekennedy

Messy Virgo.
Reaction score
Reactions
68,763 3,989 462
Alleybux
Mississippi added the 13th amendment to their constitution in 2013 - were there active slaves? It needed to happen just like this does too.