Quantcast

Serious question about leasing apartment

CosmicBrwnie

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
13,420 1,645 694
Alleybux
So backstory, my mother and sisters and I lived in an apartment over a year ago. My mother for some reason did not sign her lease and she still has not paid the apartments there money back. This messed up her credit. So, we’ve been living with my grandmother for over a year in a one bedroom. I applied for a 3 bedroom apartment today. The apartment is for my mother and sister and I. I have another sister and she lives elsewhere, but I had to use her information also to get the apartment. I could not use my mother info considering that they’ll know that she still owes on the other apartment. I also did not use my twin sister info because she is a full time student and doesn’t work. So, to get the apartment means my sister can not make over 48,0000. Which combined we both only make 44,000. On the new apartment application I had to put where we previously lived, b/c I could not put my grandmothers info because she’s on section 8, and she would probably get in trouble. I used the old apartment which those she had to move from and she still owes. I’m wondering since I was not the head of household and the old apartment did not effect my credit, do I still have a good chance at getting the new apartments? I should also note that my credit score is in the 700s.

Sly Kitty

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
53,751 936 115
Alleybux
Depends: are you the only one on the lease? Are you providing their info as additional occupants?

Some apartment complexes require background of all occupants especially since it sounds like an income restricted property.

CosmicBrwnie

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
13,420 1,645 694
Alleybux
Depends: are you the only one on the lease? Are you providing their info as additional occupants?

Some apartment complexes require background of all occupants especially since it sounds like an income restricted property.
Well I’m not using my mothers info considering that it only effected her because she was the head of household. I am not using my mother info on the application just my two sisters

Sly Kitty

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
53,751 936 115
Alleybux
Well I’m not using my mothers info considering that it only effected her because she was the head of household. I am not using my mother info on the application just my two sisters

Just be careful. When I was in my early 20s, I found an amazing loft that was income restricted. They tend to watch the residents like a hawk, will question anyone they think is living there that is not on the lease because they are subsidized and they don't want to mess with their funding.

Diva Hilary

Life is beautiful!
Reaction score
Reactions
79,591 8,651 10,090
Alleybux
I understand things happen and you want to help your family but your mom and sister are grown adults and should be responsible and taking care of themselves. This should not be on you to take care of two grown people and have a 3 bedroom lease on your shoulders. Your credit and your finances matter too. Especially as a young black woman. We need to protect ourselves. Whose gonna cover the other half of rent when they cant work? Rent a one bedroom that you can afford and allow your mom and sister to live there until they get their own place. Two of you can sleep in the master bedroom, one in the living room on the couch.