Shadina Smith, 29, shot dead in Harlem for confronting man who groped her

Deacon C

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
213,716 10,806 1,898
Alleybux
V6FAM4C4UZAZPPW3BNRXGDNK4Y.jpg

A Harlem mom was fatally shot after she and her boyfriend confronted a man who had just groped her on the street, police said Monday as they pressed their search for the gunman.

Shadina Smith left her apartment on W. 150th St. near Frederick Douglass Blvd. about 12:30 p.m. on Jan. 16, then rushed back to tell her boyfriend that a man had grabbed her, authorities said.

The 26-year-old boyfriend and Smith, 29, went outside and confronted the groper, sparking an argument that led to gunfire.

The couple was caught in a hail of bullets inside the first-floor hallway of their apartment building, cops said.

The boyfriend was blasted in the chest and left arm and Smith was struck three times in the chest.

Both were taken to Harlem Hospital, where Smith, the mother of a 1-year-old boy, died. Her boyfriend has since been released from the hospital.

Catch up on the day’s top five stories every weekday afternoon.

Detectives found shell casings outside the building, leading them to believe that the gunman fired from outside the building. He has not been caught.

A friend of the victim, Jamie Rentas, posted as part of an online fund-raiser to cover funeral expenses that Smith, known as Dina to those closest to her, “was a wonderful mother, daughter, wife and friend who touched the lives of those around her.”

“She leaves behind her precious baby boy,” Rentas said in the posting. “Dina was an amazing person with a big heart. ... She had a fire inside her which attracted anyone who crossed her path. She was funny, witty and had such a positive vibe.”

Another online fund-raiser aims to provide for her son.

“Please keep in mind a young boy growing up in this society without his mother,” the organizer wrote. “Having to go through the rest of his life without a mother, friend, provider, his everything is unimaginable.”

Harlem mom fatally shot after confronting man who groped her on street

Misscurry

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
49,617 8,993 7,127
Alleybux
Well damn i guess my font friend on here was right @lilcaps cuz i confronted my neighbor that did some weird sh!t to my car and blocks my driveway. I showed up with long ass metal pipe! she said girl people are crazy you can't confront people nowdays people are on the edge.
Rip to the lady. she didn't deserve that.

Last edited:

EarthQueen

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
60,214 407 207
Alleybux
I will never understand someone killing or harming someone over them getting mad about something you did to them. What is with losers having nothing in life better to do than terrorize women? Many people walking around today should have never been born. Just a waste.....
I mean yes it’s dangerous to confront people but I’m sure it was a gut reaction to go confront the situation when you’ve been violated. This easily could have happened to another woman no matter how she responded so we also have to stop blaming women like they are triggering these men. A violent man will eventually harm someone. The only question is when and who.
So basically the community says in situations like this don’t snitch, don’t confront/ignore it and don’t call the cops on the black man. No. Something needs to be done in these situations. I don’t think the cops would do much either because crimes against women aren’t taken seriously until death happens like this....RIP to the woman.

Reaction score
Reactions
4,826 263 127
Alleybux
I wish they had just called the police. Her family must be devastated. A life cut short because of one of many neighborhood perverts and rapists.

sweetfusion™

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
58,227 732 243
Alleybux
Very sad. These dudes need mental help. I feel for her baby and her boyfriend (he may have survivor remorse). People are crazy these days, best to keep it moving.

Sza's Freckles

I’m the REAL Cleo
Reaction score
Reactions
159,761 3,514 955
Alleybux
We were going to visit relatives but now I don’t think so. They don’t care if you have a husband, children, they really feel entitled to women’s bodies.

It would have been my first trip, but I will just stick to the rivers and the lakes that I’m used to.

Urbest

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
214,135 11,495 3,304
Alleybux
SMH. Can a woman live? Was it that serious to shoot 2 people? Not blaming her but sometimes you have to just walk away or call the police. What he did was indecent A&B, that would have been on his record. Not blaming her but there's a LOT of people w/ nothing to lose. I have told this story but some thug called me a b!tch on the train, totally unprovoked. I wanted to beat him up,lol. But I looked at him and saw he was a thug and wasn't going far in life and had nothing to lose.

AmIRight

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
143,465 2,048 682
Alleybux
This makes so mad. Black women, mothers at that, are being attacked and killed by these monsters in Harlem. I hope they all get put away in the worst prisons for life.

Her poor baby won't have any memories of his mom. May she RIP.

Deacon C

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
213,716 10,806 1,898
Alleybux
. I don’t think the cops would do much either because crimes against women aren’t taken seriously until death happens like this...

It’s true. I don’t remember what I was watching on the ID CHANNEL the other day, but I know it was about a woman going through domestic violence.

She called the cops numerous times because the ex kept calling her, texting her and basically going against the order of protection hat was issued.

The cops told her there was nothing they could do unless her ex ‘does something’ :neutral

Now, it was the lady herself telling the story so thank God she survived but she was like so basically “I have to die before the cops can protect me!”

It’s insane how women’s complaints are not taken seriously until it is too late.

DontBFuglyHun

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
31,685 1,760 778
Alleybux
NY is a cesspool now because of these useless, good for nothing mouth breathers who post up on street corners harassing any and every woman they see.

These men are fµck!ng disgusting. They've gotten more aggressive and bold. Every story makes me angry.

Why aren't these black women's gun deaths getting more coverage?

Livelearnlove19

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
6,510 329 167
Alleybux
so they 're-posted' this story to get money..

anywho, stop confronting people, rip to the lady

These men are cowards. You wanna grab and fondle a woman against her wishes but can't take being confronted about it?

What a disgrace, sad the woman had to die for asserting her claim to the one thing we're only ever given: our bodies.

I hope they catch this scum.

Soca Priestess

High Ranking Socatologist
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
265,467 2,958 645
Alleybux
RIP Shadina. We really need to bring back medieval torture devices. Wild animals like this deserve nothing less than a painful death.

EarthQueen

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
60,214 407 207
Alleybux
It’s true. I don’t remember what I was watching on the ID CHANNEL the other day, but I know it was about a woman going through domestic violence.

She called the cops numerous times because the ex kept calling her, texting her and basically going against the order of protection hat was issued.

The cops told her there was nothing they could do unless her ex ‘does something’ :neutral

Now, it was the lady herself telling the story so thank God she survived but she was like so basically “I have to die before the cops can protect me!”

It’s insane how women’s complaints are not taken seriously until it is too late.
It’s so sick and yes there doesn’t seem to be a process that works. If the cops do decide to do something they can only hold them for so long unless they actually have proof or the woman is injured. Most of those male killers have domestic violence records. People online getting triggered and getting mad over small things but I’m like these are the real life issues.

These violent men for abuse need automatic jail, house arrest if they bail out and to be monitored like someone on parole. He violates a restraining order? Give him a ridiculous amount of time. Make him an example because abusive men eventually kill. This is an epidemic. So many of these stories are preventable if society treats abusive men like trash and makes sure they are punished and know they can’t get away with it. It would at least decrease some of the violence. The ones who keep getting arrested for domestic violence and get back out know the system won’t protect their victims.

GRAPE SEED OIL

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
52,537 1,773 536
Alleybux
I hope they find the guy who did this and throw him under the jail. Respect to the boyfriend for standing up for his girlfriend and may she rest in paradise.

Haveablessedday

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
19,925 1,122 468
Alleybux
This so tragic.

This is not nearly the Harlem that I grew up in.

There were dangers but not like this.

RIP to Shadina, may her boyfriend recover and may The Lord bless and protect her little one.

Last edited:

AHardAct2Follow

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
11,744 424 22
Alleybux
RIP Shadina. I'm so f'n tired of violence against women; esp. BW. Why can't people keep their hands to themselves?! You can tell when you look into someone's eyes and they have nothing to lose. The spirit of entitlement smdh.

Inana

Bene Gesserit
Reaction score
Reactions
297,089 6,312 1,527
Alleybux
Very sad. These dudes need mental help. I feel for her baby and her boyfriend (he may have survivor remorse). People are crazy these days, best to keep it moving.

Abusive men aren't crazy. Abusive people breed atmospheres of fear to get people to comply with their demands. Bc if you think about it, isn't the perfect environment for abusers a world in which their victims are too afraid to say "no"? Men don't throw acid on women's faces bc they lost their mind, they do it as a warning for the rest of us.

I agree with you about not confronting people, but it's just so unbelievably terrible. I think she thought she was doing the right thing by getting her BF involved, but I think the police should have been called. :worried:

RichNatural

Wealth is silent, you gaudy label wh0res are poor
Reaction score
Reactions
279,628 7,251 820
Alleybux
NY is a cesspool now because of these useless, good for nothing mouth breathers who post up on street corners harassing any and every woman they see.

These men are fµck!ng disgusting. They've gotten more aggressive and bold. Every story makes me angry.

Why aren't these black women's gun deaths getting more coverage?

Certain parts of NY have always had a bunch of street bums, hanging out in front of bodegas and street corners doing nothing but harassing women all day long without a job in sight.

Cher Horowitz

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
21,628 622 188
Alleybux
This is heartbreaking. This woman just lost her life for nothing. I know my mouth is crazy so I been toning it down and staying away. NY has always been aggressive but everybody is on go mode for some reason. Feeling like the Wild West out here and I live in midtown.

SaLiLi

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
261,892 7,386 9,336
Alleybux
when i say 're-post' im just noting this happened before the other story but didn't gain as much notoriety

seems like they're posting just to get funds, especially if the other girl got money

who reposted?

and i think it is weird that a friend is raising money. I wouldn't donate to that gofudnme.

Pancakes123

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
42,631 741 724
Alleybux
I will never understand someone killing or harming someone over them getting mad about something you did to them. What is with losers having nothing in life better to do than terrorize women? Many people walking around today should have never been born. Just a waste.....
I mean yes it’s dangerous to confront people but I’m sure it was a gut reaction to go confront the situation when you’ve been violated. This easily could have happened to another woman no matter how she responded so we also have to stop blaming women like they are triggering these men. A violent man will eventually harm someone. The only question is when and who.
So basically the community says in situations like this don’t snitch, don’t confront/ignore it and don’t call the cops on the black man. No. Something needs to be done in these situations. I don’t think the cops would do much either because crimes against women aren’t taken seriously until death happens like this....RIP to the woman.
This, no one should listen to people saying not to confront someone that’s touching them xesually. If someone will grab you without your permission they’re capable of anything. Who’s to say that the xesual deviant touching people won’t escalate to rape?

CurlyBell

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
213,564 5,034 2,143
Alleybux
This isn't isolated to NYC. Abuse and violence against women, black women is happening more than every in every town, city, and country around the world. It's Femicide. We need to be on alert, this can and does happen everywhere.

Last edited:

Pancakes123

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
42,631 741 724
Alleybux
Well according to the modesty police in the Chloe threads.

What did she do to be groped? What did she wear? It’s all about how you present yourself. :whistle:

This thread should be interesting.

Anyway RIP to this woman. No one deserves this sh!t. I’m so tired of hearing about men not keeping their fµck!ng hands to themselves.

They better find this filth.
This thread has nothing to do with some random celebrity.

Nutella

Single Guy of the Month
Reaction score
Reactions
148,544 6,964 1,088
Alleybux
A woman was killed over a real life issue and some posters wants to make this about a celebrity who doesn't even know they exist?

Mental illness is real