Quantcast

Shadow and Bone | Teaser Trailer | Netflix & Discussion Thread

Bagatelle

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
52,440 1,680 868
Alleybux
So I ve watched the first season and I found it entertaining yet unoriginal.

The damsel in distress to that all men find irresistible is a trope that annoys me. I didn't like Alina.

YA fictions suck. I should have known better.

divanista

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
24,436 345 286
Alleybux
I just finished the season and I really enjoyed it! Love the crows and Mal. Ben Barnes is incredibly sexy and did a great job as the darkling. I can’t wait for the next season.

bluelark

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
169,372 3,767 718
Alleybux
I know the Emmys aren’t typically kind to fantasy shows but I think this show deserves something for the costumes and score at the least. The music was fantastic.

Peaches99

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
18,171 177 1
Alleybux
Binged this while I was looking for a fantasy series or movie, and found out it had Ben Barnes whom I like and was the only actor I actually knew in this.

I was surprised I kinda liked it, but I feel they need to do more seasons. Haven’t read the books so didn’t know anything before watching.

At first it was very confusing but once I understood the world building it went fine.
Didn’t like Alina or Mal, i found her too whiny and I didn’t care at all for his character. So I basically watched just for Barnes which I thought did a good job.

The crows were okay but I think they need more story to get to know them better.

Shame The Darkling went more psycho as the show went on because I thought that was too predictable and already done to hell on YA books. But I liked his last scene.

Absolutely hated the whole stag storyline though because I can’t stand real or fake animals suffering on screen.

Don’t have anything to say about Nina and Matthias except that I though his whole last “you kinda betrayed me so know I’ll try to kill you” scene was weird and didn’t really feel on character. They were surrounded, I’m sure she told him after he woke up the grisha were about to take them before they could make their escape, so she made you get arrested until who knows, while trying to save you and at the same time telling you she’ll fix it. His reaction was a reaction of someone being in prison for a lot more than the little was actually in (which he wasn’t because he was still waiting to be moved to the prison while waiting for his delayed trial, I think). Idk, he was acting all lovey-dovey and not like he still didn’t trust her, so his violent reaction instantly not believing her didn’t make a lick of sense to me.

All in all, I’d watch a second season.

Last edited:

reyals

virgo
Reaction score
Reactions
271,636 9,539 3,537
Alleybux
Binged this while I was looking for a fantasy series or movie, and found out it had Ben Barnes whom I like and was the only actor I actually knew in this.

I was surprised I kinda liked it, but I feel they need to do more seasons. Haven’t read the books so didn’t know anything before watching.

At first it was very confusing but once I understood the world building it went fine.
Didn’t like Alina or Mal, i found her too whiny and I didn’t care at all for his character. So I basically watched just for Barnes which I thought did a good job.

The crows were okay but I think they need more story to get to know them better.

Shame The Darkling went more psycho as the show went on because I thought that was too predictable and already done to hell on YA books. But I liked his last scene.

Absolutely hated the whole stag storyline though because I can’t stand real or fake animals suffering on screen.

Don’t have anything to say about Nina and Matthias except that I though his whole last “you kinda betrayed me so know I’ll try to kill you” scene was weird and didn’t really feel on character. They were surrounded, I’m sure she told him after he woke up the grisha were about to take them before they could make their escape, so she made you get arrested until who knows, while trying to save you and at the same time telling you she’ll fix it. His reaction was a reaction of someone being in prison for a lot more than the little was actually in (which he wasn’t because he was still waiting to be moved to the prison while waiting for his delayed trial, I think). Idk, he was acting all lovey lovey and not like he still didn’t trust her, so his violent reaction instantly not believing her didn’t make a lick of sense to me.

All in all, I’d watch a second season.
I hope it gets a second season because I feel like the first season was just a lot of world building and with a second season they can do so much more. It’s really expensive to make and they had their budget slashed during the first season which reduced the amount of episodes they ended up making so I have a bad feeling that Netflix won’t renew it.

Peaches99

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
18,171 177 1
Alleybux
I hope it gets a second season because I feel like the first season was just a lot of world building and with a second season they can do so much more. It’s really expensive to make and they had their budget slashed during the first season which reduced the amount of episodes they ended up making so I have a bad feeling that Netflix won’t renew it.
I didn’t know this. Production, costume design and VFX was great so I think you couldn’t tell that they had the budget slashed.
On the episodes/story side I think it maybe did because yeah, it felt like a lot of world building and the final episode was open ended.

bluelark

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
169,372 3,767 718
Alleybux
Netflix finally announced a renewal for Season 2. I was hoping they’d announce multiple seasons but I’ll take whatever I can get.

Adoriana

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Reactions
11 2
Alleybux
Netflix doesn't have a great track record for "multiple seasons". Probably the next will be the last.