Shake Shack Just Added an Entire Menu of Spicy Fried Chicken & Fries

Bostonhello

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
49,520 5,072 186
Alleybux

Shack Shack is turning up the heat with spicy fried chicken menu items.
By Megan Schaltegger
Published on 9/1/2020 at 4:25 PM

crop.jpeg

I'm a Shake Shack loyalist through and through. And while I have a weakness for the Popeyes chicken sandwich, now that my trusty burger slinger has brought back its own spicy, fried chicken sandwich, I've gotta side with my go-to.

But as if the return of Shake Shack's Hot Chick’n sandwich weren't enough, the chain is dropping three more soon-to-be favorites right along with it: Hot Chick’n Bites, Hot Spicy Fries, and Hot Spicy Cheese Fries, a trifecta of guajillo- and cayenne pepper-seasoned goodies.

Shake Shack first debuted its spicy chicken sandwich -- an offshoot of the original Chick'n Shack sandwich -- back in 2017. And it was the cherry pepper slaw and pickle-topped sandwich that inspired the brand-new Hot Spicy Fries in the first place. Though this is their first official debut, the heat-forward fries were actually a "secret menu item" back in the day. At the time, a Shake Shack spokesperson told Thrillist customers could add the pepper blend to either regular fries or cheese fries at no extra cost.

crop (1).jpeg

"A lotta people ask us what makes our chicken so juicy, so here’s the secret straight from our culinary team: it’s slow-cooked sous vide (a fine dining technique that prevents overcooking) in a creamy buttermilk marinade," Shake Shack said in a press release on Tuesday. "After that, it’s dredged and breaded by hand and crisp-fried to-order every single time."

So while you might have had the pleasure of sampling the Hot Chick’n sandwich or even those secret menu spicy fries, Shake Shack's Hot Chick'n Bites are a first for everyone. The crispy, antibiotic-free, all-white meat chicken bites feature that same pepper blend and come with a ranch dipping sauce to cool off your tastebuds.

If you're really feeling daring, you can even upgrade the heat level. All four menu items are now available in hot, extra hot, or fire spice levels.

Has anyone here tried the spicy chicken sandwiches and what hotness was it --- Hot, Extra Hot or Fire? Has anyone here tried the spicy french fries and spicy cheesy french fries and how was those? Thank you

Annie Malone

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
25,135 379 66
Alleybux
I had their chicken sandwich once and it was good. The batter was really crispy. Looks like this sandwich's slaw has cherry peppers, they're also in the smokeshack sandwich which is my go to on the rare occasion I go to Shake Shack. Not really spicy, just a bit of tang. If we ever get off punishment, I'll try to remember to give it a try.

But I still haven't tried the popeyes sandwich :weary_face:.

jepede

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
31,638 2,132 1,913
Alleybux
I had the sandwich last time it was out. I had no idea it was a limited time item. It was better than the shake shack burger (which has always felt thin and a bit undercooked to me).

Bostonhello

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
49,520 5,072 186
Alleybux
I had their chicken sandwich once and it was good. The batter was really crispy. Looks like this sandwich's slaw has cherry peppers, they're also in the smokeshack sandwich which is my go to on the rare occasion I go to Shake Shack. Not really spicy, just a bit of tang. If we ever get off punishment, I'll try to remember to give it a try.

I don't think that popeyes sandwich is still as good as it was when it first came out.

Bostonhello

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
49,520 5,072 186
Alleybux

this Spicy Chicken Sandwich comes in three level of hotness - Hot, Extra Hot, Fire.

Annie Malone

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
25,135 379 66
Alleybux
I don't think that popeyes sandwich is still as good as it was when it first came out.

I said I would try it once the hype wore down then I just kind of forgot about it. I haven't had it in forever, but as far as fast food fried chicken goes, popeyes spicy fried is my fav. I figured even if it's not the best it'd still be worth a cheat meal.

Bonehilda

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
77,016 4,095 95
Alleybux
My husband had the sandwich and fries last night (and a couple of weeks ago). He said the sandwich is okay (he didn't find it too spicy), but the way they season the fries is a mess and he had to throw them out because they were too spicy. This is coming from a man who eats serrano and jalapeno peppers fresh, seeds and all. Our location did not do a good job evenly seasoning the fries. His fries last night were overseasoned with clumps of seasoning dumped on certain fries.

Herfeffine

The REAL Herfeffine Heferfefer
Reaction score
Reactions
195,833 4,372 909
Alleybux
I’ve never had their food but I’m always down to try a chicken sandwich. Their fries just didn’t look appealing to me

Bostonhello

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
49,520 5,072 186
Alleybux
I’ve never had their food but I’m always down to try a chicken sandwich. Their fries just didn’t look appealing to me
Same here. I've never had their food before.They came to Houston in 2016 and still have yet to try them. I'm moving really slow.

Herfeffine

The REAL Herfeffine Heferfefer
Reaction score
Reactions
195,833 4,372 909
Alleybux
Same here. I've never had their food before.They came to Houston in 2016 and still have yet to try them. I'm moving really slow.

The only one I know of is in the mall which I don’t go to. I might Grubhub it eventually

devilicious

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
158,932 7,668 2,603
Alleybux
It is sad that all those fast food places add some fried chicken on their menu, and black people flock there. They just want some of your money.

But how many people working Shake Shack corporate are black?

devilicious

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
158,932 7,668 2,603
Alleybux
I just looked up and the CEO, president and CFO of Shake Shack are all white.

Everyone is selling fried chicken now but not giving blacks jobs that pay well.

Bostonhello

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
49,520 5,072 186
Alleybux
The only one I know of is in the mall which I don’t go to. I might Grubhub it eventually
sounds like a good idea.
there are several location in houston now. One in the Houston Galleria and one on Westheimer and another location on Kirby somewhere and one on Main St that is temporarily closed right now.

Bostonhello

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
49,520 5,072 186
Alleybux
It is sad that all those fast food places add some fried chicken on their menu, and black people flock there. They just want some of your money.

But how many people working Shake Shack corporate are black?
I think Shake Shack has had fried chicken sandwich on their menu for awhile even before Popeyes released their updated Fried Chicken Sandwich that came out last year.

Bostonhello

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
49,520 5,072 186
Alleybux
My husband had the sandwich and fries last night (and a couple of weeks ago). He said the sandwich is okay (he didn't find it too spicy), but the way they season the fries is a mess and he had to throw them out because they were too spicy. This is coming from a man who eats serrano and jalapeno peppers fresh, seeds and all. Our location did not do a good job evenly seasoning the fries. His fries last night were overseasoned with clumps of seasoning dumped on certain fries.
I'll be sure to ask for my seasoning to be on the side, so that I can add them to the fries myself. Thanks.

honeyG

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
2,825 8 3
Alleybux

Bostonhello

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
49,520 5,072 186
Alleybux
That sandwich was a delight!

Except it was FULL of sodium. I swelled up like a balloon after eating two in one week. I had to switch to jersey knits for the rest of the week:rosedead

Yep - just went to their site and it's still a ridiculous amount of salt. 1170mg! It's insane.

View attachment 1948051

https://cdn.shakeshack.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/SHA_NutritionFacts_ShakeShack-10.27.17.pdf
Thanks for the review. Yes, fast food is usually full of sodium. I'll be eating really clean after that meal whenever I get to Shake Shack.

Last edited:

honeyG

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
2,825 8 3
Alleybux
I just got back to the gym yesterday so I must stay strong and not get my purse and run down the street lol

Thanks for the review. Yes, fast food is usually full of sodium. I'll be eating really clean after that meal whenever I get to Shake Shack.

Bostonhello

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
49,520 5,072 186
Alleybux
They need to bring back the bbq chicken shack.

That sauce ... BABY. They did the damn thing.

Shake-Shack-Introduces-New-Limited-Edition-BBQ-Menu-Featuring-BBQ-Bacon-Cheese-Fries-678x381.jpg
this happened a while back in Hong Kong back in August 3,2020.

Shake Shack releases new limited edition BBQ menu
Time to shake up your upcoming burger orders

By Time Out Hong Kong Posted: Monday August 3 2020, 3:26pm

Shake Shack Hong Kong’s first-ever full lineup has finally arrived! Starting from today, you’ll get to enjoy the perfect combination of their signature burgers and crinkle-cut fries with the brand new Shack BBQ sauce, meticulously created by Shake Shack’s culinary director, Mark Rosati.

Three new items are introduced to the menu: the BBQ ShackMeister burger ($60), an all-natural angus beef cheeseburger topped with crispy ShackMeister ale-marinated shallots and Shack BBQ sauce; BBQ Chick’n Shack ($56), a crispy, antibiotic-free chicken breast with Shack BBQ sauce and pickles to tickle your summer palate, and to tie the whole BBQ line together, the BBQ bacon cheese fries ($40) topped with all-natural Applewood smoked bacon, Shack BBQ Sauce, and cheese sauce.

These BBQ wonders will now be available across all six Shake Shack branches in Hong Kong for a limited time only. Those staying in responsibly don’t have to worry about missing out, as the burgers are available for same-day pick up on Shake Shack’s own online ordering platform and door-to door delivery. Skip the queue and enjoy the BBQ sauce goodness at home! Andrea Wong

Last edited:

Diggin da Shamy

I am enough.
Reaction score
Reactions
210,129 4,772 3,321
Alleybux
this happened a while back in Hong Kong back in August 3,2020.

Time to shake up your upcoming burger orders

By Time Out Hong Kong Posted: Monday August 3 2020, 3:26pm

Shake Shack Hong Kong’s first-ever full lineup has finally arrived! Starting from today, you’ll get to enjoy the perfect combination of their signature burgers and crinkle-cut fries with the brand new Shack BBQ sauce, meticulously created by Shake Shack’s culinary director, Mark Rosati.

Three new items are introduced to the menu: the BBQ ShackMeister burger ($60), an all-natural angus beef cheeseburger topped with crispy ShackMeister ale-marinated shallots and Shack BBQ sauce; BBQ Chick’n Shack ($56), a crispy, antibiotic-free chicken breast with Shack BBQ sauce and pickles to tickle your summer palate, and to tie the whole BBQ line together, the BBQ bacon cheese fries ($40) topped with all-natural Applewood smoked bacon, Shack BBQ Sauce, and cheese sauce.

These BBQ wonders will now be available across all six Shake Shack branches in Hong Kong for a limited time only. Those staying in responsibly don’t have to worry about missing out, as the burgers are available for same-day pick up on Shake Shack’s own online ordering platform and door-to door delivery. Skip the queue and enjoy the BBQ sauce goodness at home! Andrea Wong

They released this in NY like 2 summers ago.Those prices seem wrong cos ain't no way no damn shake shack is worth no damn 60 bucks. It was like 8 dollars for the bbq chicken sandwich. They playing.

SHAKE SHACK IS GRIDDLIN’ UP A LIMITED-EDITION BBQ MENU
Feb 2, 2017
Share in an Email
Cue the BBQ! Shake Shack is pumped to announce a limited-edition lineup of BBQ items, available beginning Tuesday, February 7th for a limited time at all U.S. Shacks (‘cept airports, stadiums and ballparks):

The BBQ ShackMeister Burger is a 100% all-natural Angus beef cheeseburger topped with crispy ShackMeister® Ale-marinated shallots and Shack BBQ sauce.

The BBQ Chick’n Shack is a crispy 100% all-natural and antibiotic-free chicken breast with Shack BBQ sauce and pickles.

The BBQ Bacon Cheese Fries are crinkle-cut fries topped with all-natural smoked Niman Ranch bacon, Shack BBQ Sauce and cheese sauce.

“We’ve been working on our Shack BBQ sauce recipe for quite some time now and we couldn’t be more thrilled to finally share it with our fans!” said Mark Rosati, Culinary Director of Shake Shack. “Our Shack BBQ sauce takes inspiration from a few of our favorite regional BBQ styles, from the thick and rich tomato-based Kansas City style to the tangy South Carolina mustard style, and adds wonderful flavor to our new burger, chicken and fries.”

To sweeten the deal, Shake Shack is also spinnin’ up three new seasonal shakes: Mint Cookies & Cream (mint frozen custard blended with chocolate wafer cookie crumbles and topped with whipped cream), Mud Pie (marshmallow frozen custard blended with fudge and coffee, topped with whipped cream and chocolate sprinkles) and Salted Vanilla Toffee (salted vanilla frozen custard blended with toffee and topped with whipped cream). The tasty trio is available at all U.S. Shacks (‘cept airports, stadiums and ballparks) for a limited time.

Bostonhello

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
49,520 5,072 186
Alleybux
They released this in NY like 2 summers ago.Those prices seem wrong cos ain't no way no damn shake shack is worth no damn 60 bucks. It was like 8 dollars for the bbq chicken sandwich. They playing.

Feb 2, 2017
Share in an Email
Cue the BBQ! Shake Shack is pumped to announce a limited-edition lineup of BBQ items, available beginning Tuesday, February 7th for a limited time at all U.S. Shacks (‘cept airports, stadiums and ballparks):

The BBQ ShackMeister Burger is a 100% all-natural Angus beef cheeseburger topped with crispy ShackMeister® Ale-marinated shallots and Shack BBQ sauce.

The BBQ Chick’n Shack is a crispy 100% all-natural and antibiotic-free chicken breast with Shack BBQ sauce and pickles.

The BBQ Bacon Cheese Fries are crinkle-cut fries topped with all-natural smoked Niman Ranch bacon, Shack BBQ Sauce and cheese sauce.

“We’ve been working on our Shack BBQ sauce recipe for quite some time now and we couldn’t be more thrilled to finally share it with our fans!” said Mark Rosati, Culinary Director of Shake Shack. “Our Shack BBQ sauce takes inspiration from a few of our favorite regional BBQ styles, from the thick and rich tomato-based Kansas City style to the tangy South Carolina mustard style, and adds wonderful flavor to our new burger, chicken and fries.”

To sweeten the deal, Shake Shack is also spinnin’ up three new seasonal shakes: Mint Cookies & Cream (mint frozen custard blended with chocolate wafer cookie crumbles and topped with whipped cream), Mud Pie (marshmallow frozen custard blended with fudge and coffee, topped with whipped cream and chocolate sprinkles) and Salted Vanilla Toffee (salted vanilla frozen custard blended with toffee and topped with whipped cream). The tasty trio is available at all U.S. Shacks (‘cept airports, stadiums and ballparks) for a limited time.

Yes I know that it was released like two years ago in the USA. But the article that I posted was for the Hong Kong location that just opened this year.
But the prices are based on the Hong Kong Dollar. The article was released on Monday August 3 2020. In addition, 1 United States Dollar equals 7.75 Hong Kong Dollar. :)

Last edited:

Bostonhello

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
49,520 5,072 186
Alleybux

Feb 2, 2017
Share in an Email

Mint Cookies and cream sounds really good.

devilicious

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
158,932 7,668 2,603
Alleybux
@Bostonhello oh yes, I forgot about that one. The sauce is good.

BUT this whole "entire meny of spicy fried chicken" is just to get some of that clientele stuck in traffic at Wendy's and Popeye's drive-thru.

Bostonhello

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
49,520 5,072 186
Alleybux
@Bostonhello oh yes, I forgot about that one. The sauce is good.

BUT this whole "entire meny of spicy fried chicken" is just to get some of that clientele stuck in traffic at Wendy's and Popeye's drive-thru.

I still think that spicy fried chicken at Shake Shack doesn't have the same clientele that was stuck in traffic at Wendy's and Popeye's because Shake Shack is at a different price point and is in the bougie part of the city. I've never seen a Shake Shack in the poor part of the city. Plus, I've never been stuck in traffic at Wendy's nor at Popeye's over the spicy fried chicken. To me Shake Shack is better quality food hence the higher price point.

Last edited: