Reactions
11,045 457 248
Alleybux

- This was after the Fenty review video she did
- Says she is about to be homeless
- Money low in the bank
- But enough to buy Fenty products
- Has a production company
- Gonna throw a party in NYC ( where it all started )

ETA: Could be clickbait, since she says she will be throwing a party in NYC to celebrate her 1million subs. Idk if that's possible if you're homeless and living out of a suitcase? AND some fonts say her lease ended, so her landlord gave her a 60 day notice to find a new place to stay.

ETA:
You guys ... Maya is dramatic. Completely. She is not "homeless" in the true sense of the word, she isn't being evicted for non payment or anything like that. She is homeless in that she has to leave her current rental and doesn't have anything else lined up yet, and it probably is a little anxiety inducing for her because she has to find the perfect place for filming, with good lighting, good location, etc. She has excellent credit and a strong personal savings account (She is adamant about saving 10% of everything she makes, even if it's $1), so she will be fine and will get into a swanky apartment in no time.

Los Angeles real estate is different from east coast real estate, it is fine for her to rent an apartment or condo if she isn't ready to move into a house in the burbs somewhere. Buying apartments and condos just isn't a common thing like it is in say, NY or Atlanta.

She has said repeatedly posted videos about her financial situation and how she saved money even when she was broke and didn't have much food to eat, so there is no way that she will sacrifice her personal security to pay a bunch of people on staff. No, her businesses aren't as profitable as she likes, but if she's really doing ad and rep work for OTHER YT influencers, she might be on the right track and is determined to weather this storm.

Now. I like Maya and I've been a subscriber for awhile and I'm probably one of the small sample of viewers who watch almost everything she puts out (because I'm interested in all of it) but the reason she is at 1 mil subscribers with low video views is that her channel is ridiculously unorganized with no clear purpose or vision. One week she's doing tech, the next makeup, the next hair, the next a GRWM, the next fitness and diet, the next financial, etc, etc. She probably should have had a channel devoted solely to tech (and she should have worked incredibly hard to grow it, that is just easy money and views right there) and then another for lifestyle. The white male YTers who subscribed to her because she is a hot, exotic tech nerd are not going to want to sit through her giving a cornrow tutorial, and the white women who subscribe for her makeup and fitness tutorials are not going to sit through tech, and Black women who subscribed for her hair, etc, etc.

She needs to regroup and rebrand. She is still young enough and fresh enough to where she can still grow and become massively successful because she has the experience and more importantly, the connections (she owns a company where she promotes influencers for fµck's sake, she should be doing better), but she needs to FOCUS on being known for something other than the vague "shameless" identity. I don't even know what that means after all of these years.

Her honesty about her "brokeness" was her hustle to get y'all to buy her merchandising. lol

Last edited:

GabrieleChristo

DEPROGRAMMING
Reaction score
Reactions
158,004 8,380 11,373
Alleybux
I figured that something was going to give eventually. All the YTers have been complaining that the money train was over. I wonder if she will move onto something else. I am rooting for her because I want to see an artist pursuing her dreams winning but I don't see how YT is feasible as a long-term career. Eventually you will have to transition to something else.

Arristance

New year new b****
Reaction score
Reactions
39,728 446 525
Alleybux
I wish a lot more youtubers knew how to do more with their subbies and youtube fame. She certainly did branch off into other things but it didn't work out for her. Once you get a solid fanbase you should have a business plan in order to transfer that fanbase into another venture successfully. Folks will follow you into other sh!t if you have the right business. There's a youtuber that does hair reviews and now she makes her own wigs pre-dyed, pre-parted and plucked and is making bank.

LaDela

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
83,879 1,511 938
Alleybux
I don't understand why people thought YT was a 'forever' gig and didn't store some money away for a rainy season. On top of that, they try to guilt their subscribers into supporting them. Technology changes second by second and what is trendy now will not be later.

CinnamonLeaf

Dark and Lovely
Reaction score
Reactions
128,285 3,820 1,438
Alleybux
Woooow, how is that possible after 5 years?

No savings?

No investments?

Nothing?

Update: Apparently she does have some money put away but she is downsizing.

Last edited:

Cruciferous

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
86,678 2,375 397
Alleybux
I knew this was coming. When she started working with prince she wasn't uploading as frequently. Then once he died she popped back up and started doing more videos. My thing is why get a team and an office if you can't afford it? Everyone in L.A. is frontin!!! Also 1 million subs means nothing when your views average 35k. She didn't capitalize when she was at her peak. I was so happy for her when she moved to L.A. and got that spot. Idk man.

GabrieleChristo

DEPROGRAMMING
Reaction score
Reactions
158,004 8,380 11,373
Alleybux
I knew this was coming. When she started working with prince she wasn't uploading as frequently. Then once he died she popped back up and started doing more videos. My thing is why get a team and an office if you can't afford it? Everyone in L.A. is frontin!!! Also 1 million subs means nothing when your views average 35k. She didn't capitalize when she was at her peak. I was so happy for her when she moved to L.A. and got that spot. Idk man.

People get bored and move on after a while if you aren't progressing. Content has to stay fresh and exciting to pique people's interest. Especially when there are so many social media platforms out here.

Mdison_Dil

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Reaction score
Reactions
13,220 730 289
Alleybux
I wonder who is allowed to charge money for their videos on youtube. If people really like a channel, it sould be nothing to pay $2 for a video every month.

There is this youtuber who tries on outfits, and makes outfit suggestions who averages 300k views a video. (a majority of her views are men there for other reasons :) )

One of her newer videos cost $1.99 to view, and it had over 12k likes/dislikes (views didn't show) So at the very least that video generated $24,000 in a single month, because not all of the viewers rated it.

Dean Winchester

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
348,614 10,296 2,102
Alleybux
I wonder who is allowed to charge money for their videos on youtube. If people really like a channel, it sould be nothing to pay $2 for a video every month.

There is this youtuber who tries on outfits, and makes outfit suggestions who averages 300k views a video. (a majority of her views are men there for other reasons :) )

One of her newer videos cost $1.99 to view, and it had over 12k likes/dislikes (views didn't show) So at the very least that video generated $24,000 in a single month, because not all of the viewers rated it.

Wait...what?!?!?! Charging for videos??

JoanClayton

Team Owner
SUPER MODERATOR
Reaction score
Reactions
244,096 2,760 187
Alleybux
I just don't understand how this is possible. She really has nowhere to live? What about her boyfriend? She did some work for Prince and I am surprised that the collaboration didn't open more doors.

She did a video a while ago asking why people weren't really watching her channel and she seemed concerned about it. I guess that was the first indication that she was struggling.

shawoljan

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
2,054 43 172
Alleybux
I wish these youtubers werent so quick to quit their jobs. Atleast have a part time or start a small business on the side to have some sort of side income coming in.

BamBam

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
11,045 457 248
Alleybux
Woooow, how is that possible after 5 years?

No savings?

No investments?

Nothing?

I have been watching Maya since she started out, stopped about a year ago, i forgot why now, but I think it had something to do with her not considering herself black or something. i don't remember... anyway, in my opinion Maya does not seem to have a smart approach to youtube.

Before she made it to I think it was 300k? or 500k.. she had a whole production team, an office and paid staff and interns. Realistically speaking if youtube is your only source of income, you gotta be smarter to start small, one step at a time. I get that she is trying to be shame less in promoting herself and her dreams but, honey be smart about it. Now she is talking about being homeless. Maybe she is guilting people into purchasing her merchandize or something but, girl... idk

GabrieleChristo

DEPROGRAMMING
Reaction score
Reactions
158,004 8,380 11,373
Alleybux
I don't think I've ever seen more than one of her videos. lol
She was making about deal about donating money to somewhere in Asia.

Oh yes, I think that is when there was that huge natural disaster in the Philippines and she was trying to raise funds. That was a LONG time ago, lol. I used to watch a lot of her tech talks and vlogs back in the day.

More Chick

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
123,268 6,406 1,980
Alleybux
So many thoughts running thru my head:

1. Before I clicked on the video, I was picturing Messy Maya.

2. I don't think I've ever come across one of her videos. I think I will subscribe because she seems likeable.

3. Am I the only one who is bothered by how unstable the economy is for workersof any sort, on the lower end. You can't fully plan your life with the economy being in the shape it is. You buy a house but six months later you are out of a job trying to make it with your side hustles until you can land something else.

4. If I were a popular You-tuber, I would save as much money as possible so that I could purchase a small home with cash in a decent neighborhood. If nothing else, I will have a place to lay my head.

BamBam

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
11,045 457 248
Alleybux
I just don't understand how this is possible. She really has nowhere to live? What about her boyfriend? She did some work for Prince and I am surprised that the collaboration didn't open more doors.

She did a video a while ago asking why people weren't really watching her channel and she seemed concerned about it. I guess that was the first indication that she was struggling.

Well she said she got an eviction notice from her Landlord, saying she can't live there anymore, and how funds are low?

It just doesn't make sense, aren't her videos bringing in money?

GabrieleChristo

DEPROGRAMMING
Reaction score
Reactions
158,004 8,380 11,373
Alleybux

MMM...I don't like anyone on YT enough to pay for it. That would feel like another bill (something I definitely DON'T want). I see YT as an alternative source of entertainment when I am bored and that is it. I don't even have cable anymore because I can just get on the internet. I don't see paid videos as a source of income lasting long for these YTers either. Viewership will eventually fall off and they will have to keep enticing new people to subscribe.

More Chick

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
123,268 6,406 1,980
Alleybux
I have been watching Maya since she started out, stopped about a year ago, i forgot why now, but I think it had something to do with her not considering herself black or something. i don't remember... anyway, in my opinion Maya does not seem to have a smart approach to youtube.

Before she made it to I think it was 300k? or 500k.. she had a whole production team, an office and paid staff and interns. Realistically speaking if youtube is your only source of income, you gotta be smarter to start small, one step at a time. I get that she is trying to be shame less in promoting herself and her dreams but, honey be smart about it. Now she is talking about being homeless. Maybe she is guilting people into purchasing her merchandize or something but, girl... idk

Well that explains were a good chunk of her cash went. It should've been herself and an intern or personal assistant.

BamBam

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
11,045 457 248
Alleybux

DAMN!!!

WELL WHAT WAS SHE SHOWING? Did you pay the 1.99 for the tea? lmao

Decadence

Mythical, Legendary, Iconic
Reaction score
Reactions
2,288 74 61
Alleybux
How do you work for someone like PRINCE and not parlay that into something else???? I swear people these days are hustling backwards. She should have been trying to get more clients. This is like when Christina Milian did that movie with the Rock and she sang on stage with Steven Tyler. Just wasting opportunities. It's called networking bih.

I would give her more of a pass, but shes over 30 and I believe she was when she was working for Prince too, so there is no reason she shouldn't have had the foresight to secure her future a little better.

I like her though so I hope she figures out something.

tenor.gif

BamBam

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
11,045 457 248
Alleybux
Well that explains were a good chunk of her cash went. It should've been herself and an intern or personal assistant.

That's what I said. She had at least 4 or 5 people working with her!!! Can you imagine paying for all those people and keeping up with the office's day to day? Come on...

I have seen you tubers with those type of subs have one personal assistant. Someone who helps manage comments or helps with videos and pictures.

But, it's true what they say about people in LA frontin'

MERVEILLEUSE

Encyclopedia Dramatica
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
713,824 11,268 4,454
Alleybux
I knew that her getting that snazzy, expensively decorated office with a full staff wasn't a good idea. She spent when she should have saved. Aww well. She probably still makes good dough.

Also, she ain't said sh!t about being broke. She just has to leave her apartment because her lease wasn't renewed.

Kunt Brigade

Problematic Bruja
Reaction score
Reactions
96,794 799 510
Alleybux
the fenty could be a PR box, popular youtubers are getting them.
why did she need an office and staff??? that there was a drain on her money and why she is broke. also why no savings? it seems like a lot of youtube people dont think about the future and sock away money for emergencies?
I only ever saw the video where she talked about working for prince. haven't watched anything else from her. amazed she did not network more after working for someone like prince, his name could get her foot in the door with people.you always have to network you never know who will help you out with a job.

RiRisVocalCoach

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
169,921 8,667 3,446
Alleybux
I feel like it was just yesterday we were all here in her threads commenting on how far she`s come. Y`all remember when she was doing ads ad giveaways for hotels and a car commercial? She was working with Prince, even hired a bunch of staff, got a new loft...good sis was doing good. She was getting coins.

What happened Africa? This youtube money life is fragile. Look how fast it blew up. She`s was doing it! And so quickly it went? What did you do her? I need to watch this video. I`m super disappointed. Where is @enchanted? I need her thoughts on this.

Dashmolly

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
6,297 116 76
Alleybux
She should've charged for some videos when she went over photography tips not too much but like the person above said maybe $2. I wouldn't mind if I was one of her die hard fan but I barely watch her so... A couple vblog would be good too...

gigantor

Not Fat...Thiccc
Reaction score
Reactions
18,287 652 387
Alleybux
I will say she may be kicked out so her place can become an air bnb. A lot of LA owners are doing it, especially with the confirmed Olympics.

AlexJordan

“What we think, we become.”
Reaction score
Reactions
38,186 1,620 1,767
Alleybux
So many thoughts running thru my head:

1. Before I clicked on the video, I was picturing Messy Maya.

2. I don't think I've ever come across one of her videos. I think I will subscribe because she seems likeable.

3. Am I the only one who is bothered by how unstable the economy is for workersof any sort, on the lower end. You can't fully plan your life with the economy being in the shape it is. You buy a house but six months later you are out of a job trying to make it with your side hustles until you can land something else.

4. If I were a popular You-tuber, I would save as much money as possible so that I could purchase a small home with cash in a decent neighborhood. If nothing else, I will have a place to lay my head.

This! #4. My niece purchased the new BMW hybrid. She was laughing at her brother because he still drives his 12 year old Honda and he paid cash for a foreclosure condo that needed some work. Less than a year later, she can't afford to make the payments and is now sleeping on his couch in his renovated condo. Lol.

PrinceNelson

Eat your pancakes
Reaction score
Reactions
161,472 17,507 9,413
Alleybux
If I remember correctly Prince was super secretive about the project and maybe she felt like she couldn't use his name to get ahead while he was alive. Once he passed and she made the video, people probably thought she was riding the bandwagon like many others.

I've always thought that her hair was her main appeal. Once she cut it, it was a wrap.

CinnamonLeaf

Dark and Lovely
Reaction score
Reactions
128,285 3,820 1,438
Alleybux

if she's having sponsors, YouTube videos, business deals, other projects. Over five years she should be in the upper six figures to $1000000 at least. Where did all her money go? the story is not making sense to me.... Unless she just had no savings and everything was going as soon as she made it..

More Chick

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
123,268 6,406 1,980
Alleybux
@AlexJordan

Your nephew is smart.

People sleep on forclosed properties esp condos. A modestly priced condo in the right neighborhood esp around good colleges and universities is a good investment.

BamBam

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
11,045 457 248
Alleybux
If I remember correctly Prince was super secretive about the project and maybe she felt like she couldn't use his name to get ahead while he was alive. Once he passed and she made the video, people probably thought she was riding the bandwagon like many others.

I've always thought that her hair was her main appeal. Once she cut it, it was a wrap.

Maybe that's why she couldn't talk about it as much because, usually they make you sign a nondisclosure agreement.

if she's having sponsors, YouTube videos, business deals, other projects. Over five years she should be in the upper six figures to $1000000 at least. Where did all her money go? the story is not making sense to me.... Unless she just had no savings and everything was going as soon as she made it..

Well realistically speaking, those youtube coins and deals aren't always cut from the same slice for black you tubers. Idk but, that's what I have noticed. Do you know more than 10 black you tubers with 1m subscribers, especially women?

But, Maya says she's not black so... I digress.

GabrieleChristo

DEPROGRAMMING
Reaction score
Reactions
158,004 8,380 11,373
Alleybux
Maybe that's why she couldn't talk about it as much because, usually they make you sign a nondisclosure agreement.

Well realistically speaking, those youtube coins and deals aren't always cut from the same slice for black you tubers. Idk but, that's what I have noticed. Do you know more than 10 black you tubers with 1m subscribers, especially women?

But, Maya says she's not black so... I digress.

Well, technically, she isn't. She looks VERY Filipino and grew up with her Filipino mom.

Reaction score
Reactions
425,565 20,420 1,915
Alleybux

- This was after the Fenty review video she did
- Says she is about to be homeless
- Money low in the bank
- But enough to buy Fenty products
- Has a production company
- Gonna throw a party in NYC ( where it all started )

Either she's exaggerating her financial problems or she's a frivolous spender because makeup, parties and staff for a youtube channel don't sound like things a person who's about to be homeless spends money on.

I remember there was a thread discussing that expensive ass Smeg fridge she had at her studio, she can't be that broke.