Quantcast

UPDATE Should I continue to job hunt with all this coronavirus madness?

incogneato

No face, no case.
Reaction score
Reactions
2,689,411 494,962 222,860
Alleybux
Hi LSA, it is me again. I need a sounding board.

I am just following up on my previous thread: I think I am on the verge of a mental breakdown

God being so good, I have been getting interviews, making it to the final round and I was excited at the prospects of moving on from my current job (7 months in). Then the coronavirus happened. However, I asked God for a sign on which direction to take and I believe if I am offered the job I want then it is time to move on. I am currently in the final round for 3 jobs! However, I need some advice.

Finance career so far:
Company XYZ (4 years: grad programme 1yr > team 1: 1.5yr > team 2: 1.5 yr)
  • My first role after a grad programme was ok, it was interesting but I was treated like the 'help' and often asked if I was the PA - so I left after 1 year internally - it was mostly advisory/compliance
  • I then moved into hardcore finance with some focus on reg projects/number crunching - I was promoted very quickly and then went through the craziest experience... crazy boss, snakey co-workers, and all my team leaving...so I left after 1.5 years (desperately... my boss used to ask me to get them coffee, passive-aggressive... love/hate relationship, etc)
New company:
  • I left desperately because I didn't learn much in my previous role as I was ALWAYS alone in the office, for almost 1 year. All the "sh!t" work came to me. Fine. I land a new job, 7 months in and I have met the craziest Becky boss, co-workers and just don't feel smart enough/like I fit in. - You can read about it here: I reported my manager to HR
    I don't think I am respected technically and it hurts. I try my best but even the intern/analyst tries to speak down on me. I shut it down but I am mindful not to be that "angry BW". I am smart but I'm reserved/don't like talking if I don't know my stuff. This role requires a lot of number crunching/excel and some regulatory work. Number crunching is not really my skill set but I wanted to try something different. I am learning though.
So I decided to job hunt again (pre-corona). I think I am more sensitive because I am working through a lot of trauma in therapy. I also work super long hours and so work is A LOT. I decided not to work in a technical role like this again. To try something different, go back to something more qualitative (advisory/compliance). I don't think Finance is my jam but I have a 5-year plan to save and this industry pays well.

So, what do you think? Should I leave if offered a job? Things at work are getting better. I took a much needed holiday and came back to working from home fulltime. HR/COO has ensured me they want me to stay and will do everything to make sure I am secure at work (manager has a bad rep). I just think the team was super nasty when I first joined. Somethings you just can't get over and it is hard for a leopard to change its spots (screaming manager) but I do recognize their effort to change. It just looks bad because I am reserved.

Also, I don't think I will get promoted anytime soon in this job. So, if I move laterally on the same corporate title going up by +5k could be helpful until the next promotion.

What do you think? It seems like the jobs are going ahead as I keep getting called back to interview within days. I have more interviews this tomorrow and next week too.

Reaction score
Reactions
6,856 274 235
Alleybux
If you are offered the job, take it. Check the boxes: Do you get a raise? Is there a chance for advancement? Do they have good benefits? Is there a chance to innovate and learn something new? Is it a good atmosphere? If the boxes check, congratulations.

LatxLeather

Jan- Dec.
Reaction score
Reactions
109,064 6,825 8,075
Alleybux
Yes. Continue to put out on line resumes and applications.

We are not going to be at this standstill forever.

Good luck. No you are not having a mental breakdown through all of this.
We none are.
We are just waiting, Hope. Living through this.

TheoryBased

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
86,811 1,973 250
Alleybux
This was posted on LinkedIn yesterday.

“Job seekers may feel discouraged by the cavalcade of bad news about the economy, but experts say people should still look for work despite the headwinds. “If you take yourself out of the process, someone else may take that job you would get,” said Society for Human Resource Management President and CEO Johnny C. Taylor, Jr. For job seekers, author Dorie Clark recommends activating your professional network to help find work. Additionally, Briefcase Coach founder Sarah Johnston suggests being prepared for video interviews since most companies are working remotely.”

Jeff Bezos

I’m a lady
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
240,976 6,028 2,399
Alleybux
If you are offered the job, take it. Check the boxes: Do you get a raise? Is there a chance for advancement? Do they have good benefits? Is there a chance to innovate and learn something new? Is it a good atmosphere? If the boxes check, congratulations.
A lot of these companies, especially in the middle of COVID better be offering something because it's high risk to step out of your door. Good luck OP.

Mahina Rose

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
86,227 1,317 34
Alleybux
A few of my friends are still applying to open positions. One of them had an interview via Skype. If offered a position they may push the start date back.

I know at my job they said they were still openly recruiting. We had 4 new people start once the the WFH was implemented. It wasn't planned, but that's just the way things happened.

News Alley

Top Bottom