Sinéad O’Connor Talks bizarre violent pillow fight with Prince

IdaBDamn

Currban on Currban
Reaction score
Reactions
131,815 11,192 830
Alleybux

Sinéad O’Connor’s Bizarre Prince Story Involves Soup and a Pillow Fight​

Back in 2013, Sinéad O’Connor promised British music magazine Uncut that she had “a very funny story” about meeting Prince after she released a 1990 hit cover of “Nothing Compares 2 U,” a song he originally wrote for his band the Family. “It got violent, too, which is why I can’t go into it,” she told the magazine, adding, “I’ll tell it when I’m an old lady and I write my book.” Now, O’Connor is eight years older and has written that book, Rememberings, out on June 1. And as the New York Times reported in a new profile of the musician, she’s telling that story — which also involves, uh, soup and a pillow fight. Just let the Times explain:

She writes that Prince summoned her to his macabre Hollywood mansion, chastised her for swearing in interviews, harangued his butler to serve her soup though she repeatedly refused it, and sweetly suggested a pillow fight, only to thump her with something hard he’d slipped into his pillowcase. When she escaped on foot in the middle of the night, she writes, he stalked her with his car, leapt out and chased her around the highway.

C6BDA1FE-984D-44D2-ABAE-E689E07A16CB.gif

Last edited:

SlayK Rowling

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
87,763 3,550 3,335
Alleybux
I honestly don't think Prince liked her at all and seemed a little bugged after the song was released. Is he the one who cleared it for usage or was this a label thing that happened behind his back?

minidasha

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
85,881 3,156 435
Alleybux
I honestly don't think Prince liked her at all and seemed a little bugged after the song was released. Is he the one who cleared it for usage or was this a label thing that happened behind his back?

I think the label did it behind his back which is why he was so anti-labels.

Sinead is a whole weirdo so I don't even pay attention to her.

SlayK Rowling

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
87,763 3,550 3,335
Alleybux
I think the label did it behind his back which is why he was so anti-labels.

Sinead is a whole weirdo so I don't even pay attention to her.
I'd be scared shitless if Prince was chasing me around his mansion lol. His little heels clicking on the marble with that come-hither gleam in his eye. Not saying this story is real but Prince seemed hilarious.

NaughtyProfessor

bada bing
Reaction score
Reactions
22,972 232 38
Alleybux
Sinead O'Connor has the serious mental illness of bipolar disorder -- this is well documented.
True and these kinds of outrageous attention seeking public outbursts are exactly what keep people experiencing that illness in the shadows for fear they’ll be stigmatized.

Disturbing that she would spin a tale (frankly the makings of a dark comedy if it weren’t so sad) and not only believe it but sell this concocted mess for a payday. No sympathy for me on that one.

Tgal73

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
57,774 949 227
Alleybux
Not going to hate on Sinead. Yes, her stories are ridiculous. But, she should be under the constant care of someone who loves her. Not out giving interviews telling outrageous stories. This woman is severly mentally ill. People are really going to believe Prince was chasing her down the highway? I don't see her as responsible for this.

NaughtyProfessor

bada bing
Reaction score
Reactions
22,972 232 38
Alleybux
I totally understand Naughty... but having experienced bipolar and other serious mental illness first hand in people close to me, I can tell you that it is no joke and delusions are part of the illness. The harrowing experience of loved ones who deal with these types of illnesses is of an unimaginable magnitude. One friend who developed bipolar and struggled for years committed suicide last year. Seeing the complete degradation and destruction of one of the smartest and sweetest people I have known was beyond comprehension. And a second example breaks my heart too much to even talk about anonymously. We wouldn't berate someone if we knew they had cancer... For me the question is why the media plays this up.
Oh Smokey...a hug. I’m terribly sorry you’ve been through that. My heart breaks hearing it.

Unfortunately, I have a deep understanding of the issue as well so I do know and believe me I both empathize and sympathize with you. I never, ever joke about this and I’m aware of what comprises both Bipolar 1 and 2. My intention was not to berate.

What i am doing though and I’ll be honest, is judging her for bringing someone else (Prince) into her sensationalist story for a payoff.

There is right and wrong and not everything can be excused by mental illness. She can experience delusions, but it isn’t necessary to tell an unsubstantiated story that might make someone else appear unglued. That is a choice. Least of all a person who can’t defend himself and those are serious claims even if they sound implausible.

Sinead has been a major attention seeker and that can also exist outside mental illness.

While yes she has also brought attention to the cause (which is great), I fear the stories like the one we both read perpetuate a situation whereby people who are struggling worry about being lumped in “with the crazies like Sinead” I feel that she is working at cross purposes in a way. The messenger is my concern.

While I agree the media have played her illness up, as they do with any mental illness in a public figure, I feel she also plays a role here. I doubt the media are camped outside her home and she must be complicit in providing material somehow. I mean here she is with a book.

Yakini

✨ read more (bell hooks) ✨
Reaction score
Reactions
80,174 6,007 3,847
Alleybux
I'd be scared shitless if Prince was chasing me around his mansion lol. His little heels clicking on the marble with that come-hither gleam in his eye. Not saying this story is real but Prince seemed hilarious.

I kinda wish this were true and I'd love to see it on video...it's hilarious to picture. :ROFLMAO:

I'm usually team #BelieveWomen, but I don't believe nothing that this white woman says. :joy:

anynameyouwish

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
13,820 666 389
Alleybux
I
I have one relative with serious mental illnesses to where they have delusions they really believe are true. The media does it for money - it's only thing they care about now.
I don't believe her. I wish she'd get help for real.
I know exactly what you are talking about. I too have that situation. And yes, there are some stories this person told that make absolutely no logical sense and they probably believe them wholeheartedly. i think Sinead believes up to a degree of what she is saying. I also think she likes attention so that factors in as well.

Laurarichardson

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
32,406 1,791 2,496
Alleybux
He ex-manager was her manger and they were in a long drawn out lawsuit. You do not have to ask permission to cover a song and he later said he made a gang of money off it. I think Mrs O Conner bi-polar ass is making this up as the story keeps changing everyone she tells it

SlayK Rowling

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
87,763 3,550 3,335
Alleybux
I kinda wish this were true and I'd love to see it on video...it's hilarious to picture. :ROFLMAO:

I'm usually team #BelieveWomen, but I don't believe nothing that this white woman says. :joy:
I mean not to be scummy but I could definitely see Prince and Sinead getting into a physical altercation of some sort. And I wouldn't be surprised if she initiated it. She seems like a hot head.

anynameyouwish

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
13,820 666 389
Alleybux
Not going to hate on Sinead. Yes, her stories are ridiculous. But, she should be under the constant care of someone who loves her. Not out giving interviews telling outrageous stories. This woman is severly mentally ill. People are really going to believe Prince was chasing her down the highway? I don't see her as responsible for this.
The press is partly to blame for this. They feed right into a sick woman's delusions. I agree about the highway part. And sadly its mainstream media. CBS played part of her police interview after he died. I imagine they left out the stuff about levitation and Arsenio Hall though

A highway in L.A...That makes no sense. Prince who couldn't go out without a bodyguard chases another famous across a dangerous highway? That's insane.

Here's my theory. Pillow fight might have happened. There were some rumors 15 years ago. But here is how I would guess it went down. Prince did invite her over to chastise her and was being an awful brat. He might have said "Let's work out our differences with a pillow fight. And she agreed. They did have a pillow fight. (I hate pillow fights because folks will hit hard. My son and I had one last year and he walloped me and I was pissed. It wasn't like he was really trying to hurt me. He was playing. It just sort of hurt.) She probably experienced his competitive intense side while engaging in that pillow fight and she assumed that there was something in the pillow because he went a bit OTT with it...(not with the intention of causing damage but with the intention of winning--I doubt he put anything in the pillow). then there was more arguing. And he was like "Screw you. Call someone to take you home. My limo driver ain't doing it." And then she ran away. He might have tried to pick her up in his car afterward but the earlier argument made it feel like he was stalking her." because she was already hysterical. All this is a theory...but to someone (with mental illness and a history of abuse) in a high stress manic state after being heavily chastised and criticized by an idol...they might expand a story like that in their recollection into what we are hearing now

Last edited:

Laurarichardson

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
32,406 1,791 2,496
Alleybux
Three years ago she claimed prince was possessed by a demon...sinead is nuts
She said his eyes became red.
Doesn’t matter how crazy her story gets Folks will still believe her story and call prince an abuser
If anyone thinks his eyes turned red they are just as crazy as she is

Laurarichardson

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
32,406 1,791 2,496
Alleybux
The press is partly to blame for this. They feed right into a sick woman's delusions. I agree about the highway part. And sadly its mainstream media. CBS played part of her police interview after he died. I imagine they left out the stuff about levitation and Arsenio Hall though

A highway in L.A...That makes no sense. Prince who couldn't go out without a bodyguard chases another famous across a dangerous highway? That's insane.

Here's my theory. Pillow fight might have happened. There were some rumors 15 years ago. But here is how I would guess it went down. Prince did invite her over to chastise her and was being an awful brat. He might have said "Let's work out our differences with a pillow fight. And she agreed. They did have a pillow fight. (I hate pillow fights because folks will hit hard. My son and I had one last year and he walloped me and I was pissed. It wasn't like he was really trying to hurt me. He was playing. It just sort of hurt.) She probably experienced his competitive intense side while engaging in that pillow fight and she assumed that there was something in the pillow because he went a bit OTT with it...(not with the intention of causing damage but with the intention of winning). then there was more arguing. And he was like "Screw you. Call someone to take you home. My limo driver ain't doing it." And then she ran away. He might have tried to pick her up in his car afterward but the earlier argument made it feel like he was stalking her." because she was already hysterical. All this is a theory...but to someone (with mental illness and a history of abuse) in a high stress manic state after being heavily chastised and criticized by an idol...they might expand a story like that in their recollection into what we are hearing now
I am sure it something like that and had her delusional ideas about red eyes and levitating

anynameyouwish

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
13,820 666 389
Alleybux
Did Prince typically have pillow fights with people on first meeting?
Probably not. Unfortunately that Dave Asshole did post something on Prince.org about a pillow fight that went too far with Sinead. And this was YEARS ago....like 2006. It doesn't mean its true but it is hard for me to not at least consider that the rumor existed back then. Like I said, pillow fights can hurt and sinead being thin skinned probably over reacted.

Smokeypurple

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
13,877 127 29
Alleybux
Probably not. Unfortunately that Dave Asshole did post something on Prince.org about a pillow fight that went too far with Sinead. And this was YEARS ago....like 2006. It doesn't mean its true but it is hard for me to not at least consider that the rumor existed back then. Like I said, pillow fights can hurt and sinead being thin skinned probably over reacted.
Was 'Dave asshole' present at the incident? Prince was known to be a shy man who did not even speak to people he didn't know well. Sinead is mentally ill and was not a friend of Prince. Delusions of grandeur / narcissism -- features of mental illness. Must be hard for Sinead knowing her only hit was thanks to Prince.

NaughtyProfessor

bada bing
Reaction score
Reactions
22,972 232 38
Alleybux
Thanks Naughty, I appreciate it. In my case, 'unsubstantiated stories' brought police charges against a spouse which were dropped after the individual committed suicide (they had been committed twice). Fortunately the spouse had many who would vouch, including their 17 year old daughter. It is an unfortunate part of mental illness... The ill person was very close to me, and after becoming ill, was not recognizable at all -- delusions, bizarre behavior galore. Is Sinead's book self-published? I think the media, and any publishing house, operating in this way given the circumstances is disgraceful.
I hear you. The media love to capitalize on bad personal circumstances. Sad.

In a perfect world, they would have a conscience and not promote a product by a person who is ill and should be doing nothing but receiving care. Perhaps she is on the verge of bankruptcy which makes it even worse.

Maybe the payment from the book will help with her care. I hope that’s the case.

Having said that, she is a public figure, she has distinguished herself as such, she is not a stupid woman, and she does still have choices when she opens her mouth, I find it unfortunate that she would call him crazy as I’m sure she doesn’t appreciate that for herself. But on top of it, to publicly label him “a violent abuser of women”? Awful.

Last edited:

Smokeypurple

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
13,877 127 29
Alleybux
I hear you. The media love to capitalize on bad personal circumstances. Sad.

In a perfect world, they would have a conscience and not promote a product by a person who is ill and should be doing nothing but receiving care. Perhaps she is on the verge of bankruptcy which makes it even worse.

Maybe the payment from the book will help with her care. I hope that’s the case.

Having said that, she is a public figure, she has distinguished herself as such, she is not a stupid woman, and she does still have choices when she opens her mouth, I find it unfortunate that she would call him crazy as I’m sure she doesn’t appreciate that for herself. But on top of it, to publicly label him “a violent abuser of women”? Awful.
Ahhh... you keep grabbing my deleted posts :)
True, if she believes Prince was crazy she should be wishing him wellness and healing as she has asked for sympathy from others for herself. And given that among other things, she called white people disgusting, never wanting to spend time with them again, sounds pretty abusive herself. I wouldn't find myself in the same room with her, so hope she does use any earnings for care.

And true what you say about people struggling not wanting to be seen as 'crazy' -- the main reason one person close refused to take medication, and is no longer with us.