Black Single mom buys water plant & turns down $20 MILLION

Polite

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
4,724 321 20
Alleybux
Im so proud of her! :) :)
And Im so happy for her accomplishments!!!
Thanks for posting this OP!

eta: Good interview!
Start from 40:00 mark to hear how things go after she purchased the plant

Last edited:

jongina

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
6,246 275 93
Alleybux
she should have taken that 20 million and bought more water plants (unless it was in the contract that she couldn't buy any more water plants after taking the money)

Moorpheus

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
48,422 5,794 6,042
Alleybux
I love this thanks OP. Since I been on my journey this year. I’ve been coming across a ton of black folks and people doing their thing.

PlumpRump

Sacred.
Reaction score
Reactions
53,660 2,476 2,371
Alleybux
im watching it now and will try to do cliffs but i can't get over her looking as she does and having 20 year old sons.

those who are asking for cliffs instead of watching the vid are missing out because she has a lot of gems. but i'll do my best.

Shjjdjj

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
3,948 221 243
Alleybux
she should have taken that 20 million and bought more water plants (unless it was in the contract that she couldn't buy any more water plants after taking the money)
The water plant she has currently will be worth way more than 20 million in the future

Imemyself

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
56,485 4,064 3,818
Alleybux

Cliffs:
1st black woman (single mother) to own a water company
Nurse by trade
She backed into it...didn't set out to buy a water plant
Started with her twin sons selling water from BJs during early days of Covid
Bought it from an upstate New York 89 year old who needed money
She paid 2 mil for it by raising money on her own. The old couple's daughter was racist to her and gave her a hard time at the closing table
Since then she has been offered millions for it
She gave jobs to men on parole
She isn't selling
She wants to change the narrative that black people don't own anything

I'm am impressed y'all. And oh she is gorgeous!

Oh she had some eye opening stats:
Only 30% of water on earth is fresh water
of that 30% only 1% of that is for human consumption
Wars will eventually be fought over water

Its a long discussion but its well worth the time.

Last edited:

Tillywinks

Lurker and proud
Reaction score
Reactions
177,531 3,525 1,425
Alleybux
What makes you think anyone would sell to her for that price? If they are willing to pay $20 million it's worth a lot more.

Jay Johnson

The Obnoxious Gentleman
Reaction score
Reactions
335,636 66,301 616
Alleybux
Water_Bottling_Company_1024x1024.jpg

Her children inspired her!

A single mother makes history as the first Black woman in New York to own and operate a water bottling company, Black Enterprise reports.

Paulla McCarthy is the founder and CEO of Youth Saving Society and YSS Water Works. The latter is a water bottling company she came to own after being inspired by her children during the pandemic.

The nurse and single mother of three taught the importance of financial literacy and entrepreneurship to her children during the pandemic. She eventually invested $1600 with her twin boys, encouraging them to sell pallets of water during the pandemic. The boys dubbed themselves The New York Water Boys, purchasing water in bulk from BJs and selling to individuals, supermarkets, and bodegas. The budding entrepreneurs became very successful and eventually landed a contract to sell water to 21 supermarkets.

It was then that McCarthy reached out to the supermarkets, asking them if they would be interested in carrying a private label water brand. They all agreed, and McCarthy started locating a water company, planning a Poestenkill, New York trip to taste the water. As a result of the pandemic, McCarthy had to stop her financial literacy workshops with students in schools, and she was solely working as a nursing case manager. The business seemed like a perfect opportunity and a chance to build something meaningful.

She made the trip to taste the water, eventually getting the elderly couple to sell her their 15 acres of land, including an Aquifer, also known as “The Spring.” She began researching the business of water and the bottling industry, utilizing the help of family and friends to fund YSS Water Works since bank loans were hard to come by. After months of preparing and $130,000 in donations in two days, McCarthy purchased the land and became the owner.

Now, she is working on maintaining her new company and its nonprofit, Youth Saving Society. The Brooklyn native has now launched the YSS Water Works 3 Million Gallon Challenge. She encourages people to purchase her natural spring water with the promise that each dollar will yield 1 YSS Token to be used towards future purchases. Each 10 water tokens is eligible for trade-in to receive 1 YSS Water Coin garners 1 gallon of water. The efforts are in favor of increasing access to high-quality drinking water for underserved communities.

“To combat [the issue of scarcity with natural spring water, we are bringing] our community the absolute best...YSS Water Works is launching our 3 Million Gallon Challenge to pre-sell 3,000,000 gallons of water within the next 30 days and bring access to the hands of the millions in our community,” McCarthy said.

To support YSS Water Works, pre-order by visiting their site or click the link here to donate to Youth Saving Society.

Congratulations Paulla!

Cinnahs

Black and Beautiful
Reaction score
Reactions
239,394 4,931 1,464
Alleybux
Wow, this is an amazing story. I love to see the ingenuity of black people, women especially! Is her water available for sale online or outside of New York? I bet the racist daughter was mad that a black woman would be taking the aquifer of building a huge brand out of it. I wish that I could be an angel investor because these type of projects have potential and I want to invest in burgeoning black owned businesses!

Pressley

Consciousness Over Cookies
Reaction score
Reactions
482,466 14,132 13,199
Alleybux
How did she raise the $2 million, is the real question....because if you know that, you can do pretty much anything.
Great story. One thing I"m not getting because I can't watch right now is, if the boys bought the water from BJ's how did they get contracts to sell someone else's water????????